University of Oklahoma Class of 2009 Go Sooners!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no1cub17 said:
haha, my last name is sagdeo - so there's a bit of diversity in oklahoma after all! Also just wondering where everyone's living? I got an apt in moore with a friend from ou - he's going to grad school there, so right in the middle for both of us. I know there's at least a few ppl on here who are living in moore right? (ambcv?) and what's this mailing y'all just got? I guess the pony express is a little slow to reach mi...

i

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Napoleon1801 said:
I'm Charles Beavers btw if there's anyone near the front of the alphabet out there. :D
I recognize your name from an email sent. Are you going on the trip to DC in August? If this isn't you, there is another med student in another year with your exact same name!!

Last edited:
hey kaus5tusadfjkas;dkjfasdljfaklej;lkjbesh...moore?? I remember you complaining that NW32/Merridian was too far :laugh: oh well. enjoy I35 traffic :p

By the way...how many games did CHI take from ATL?

Members don't see this ad :)
What night is the pre-orientation going to be held? There will probably be a get-together somewhere after the presentation (Tapwerks usually). I'll be there, I think.

Btw, you guys that are going to be driving the southern OKC portion of I-35 every morning are nuts-the traffic through there has been horrible for the last few weeks.

ad_sharp said:
Btw, you guys that are going to be driving the southern OKC portion of I-35 every morning are nuts-the traffic through there has been horrible for the last few weeks.
The sacrifices I'm willing to make for my husband... He owes me one, like going wherever I want to for residency!! :)

ad_sharp said:
What night is the pre-orientation going to be held? There will probably be a get-together somewhere after the presentation (Tapwerks usually). I'll be there, I think.

Orientation starts on Wed. the 10th and I guess "pre-orientation" is on that Tues. Tapwerks is a great bar, I'll be there.

ad_sharp said:

Yeah, they've had one lane closed in Moore while they work on the exit for NW 12th. It's not usually as bad as it looks.

And yes, I live in Moore. I'm a mile west of the Wal-mart that's at 19th and I-35.

So has anyone found any better alternatives to the macori health insurance the school offers? I saw some plans on ehealthinsurance.com that seemed to compare favorably in terms of price and coverage.

hey guys:

- is it possible to change my NY residency to OK residency after one year and pay the in-state tuition? Is this possible?

- do you guys know any good dental plan? i signed up for macori but they don't have dental!!! sigh...(not that i have bad teeth haha, just like to get them clean twice a year without paying a fortune)

putzeled said:
So has anyone found any better alternatives to the macori health insurance the school offers? I saw some plans on ehealthinsurance.com that seemed to compare favorably in terms of price and coverage.
I get health insurance through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Oklahoma. Try www.bcbsok.com to check rate quotes. I'm not sure they beat other carriers, but it was cheaper for me than through Macori, and has better coverage. From what i can tell, anyway.

lfesiam said:
just have a quick question:

is it possible to change my NY residency to OK residency after one year and pay the in-state tuition? Is this possible?
I have heard of some people doing this, but I don't know if they had other things too, like a spouse working full time in-state, etc. It is something worth looking into, though. I would like to say that, yes you can do that, but I don't really know for sure, or what hoops you have to jump through to qualify.

Members don't see this ad :)
lfesiam said:
do you guys know any good dental plan? i signed up for macori but they don't have dental!!! sigh...(not that i have bad teeth haha, just like to get them clean twice a year without paying a fortune)

You can always take advantage of the dental school. Getting dental work done their is pretty cheap. I don't know how much I would trust them doing root canals and such, but getting your teeth cleaned shouldn't be too dangerous.

For anyone that needs any vaccinations I found out today that the student health center gives them out pretty cheap. I need tetanus and the tuberculosis test and its only $10 for one and $12 for the other. (I already forgot which is which though.) You just walk-in, no appointment needed.

lfesiam said:
hey guys:

- is it possible to change my NY residency to OK residency after one year and pay the in-state tuition? Is this possible?

- do you guys know any good dental plan? i signed up for macori but they don't have dental!!! sigh...(not that i have bad teeth haha, just like to get them clean twice a year without paying a fortune)

if you search this thread, OUdoc posted something about the difficulty he had changing his residency. from what i can tell, OU isn't particularly accomodating. just marry an okie quick. this will also put you in with the OUCOM married majority. just kidding, sort of. for dental, can't you get stuff done cheap on campus? i would let a dental hygiene student take the ole' meat hook to my mouth if it saved me 50%.

Dr Turninkoff said:
if you search this thread, OUdoc posted something about the difficulty he had changing his residency. from what i can tell, OU isn't particularly accomodating. just marry an okie quick. this will also put you in with the OUCOM married majority. just kidding, sort of. for dental, can't you get stuff done cheap on campus? i would let a dental hygiene student take the ole' meat hook to my mouth if it saved me 50%.

haha, don't know if i'll even have time to date during medschool! i'll just stick to making a bunch of good friends first =)

hmm i have to check that out, for some reason dentists seem to always overcharge things..., yea i'll stick with a dent student for my cleaning haha if it's cheap! :laugh:

putzeled said:
You can always take advantage of the dental school. Getting dental work done their is pretty cheap. I don't know how much I would trust them doing root canals and such, but getting your teeth cleaned shouldn't be too dangerous.

You wouldn't think so, but you haven't seen the dental students yet.............

speedo542 said:
I recognize your name from an email sent from the NACOE. If you are that Charles, are you going on the trip to DC in August? If this isn't you, there is another med student in another year with your exact same name!!

My last name is Nuzum-Keim, so I might be with Cricket...M, right?

Yep, I'm the only Charles B. around :p. And yes, I'm on the DC trip, are you? I saw the itenerary online and it looks like it will be a really good seminar, not to mention the sight awesome seeing opportunities. :thumbup:

Napoleon1801 said:
Yep, I'm the only Charles B. around :p. And yes, I'm on the DC trip, are you? I saw the itenerary online and it looks like it will be a really good seminar, not to mention the sight awesome seeing opportunities. :thumbup:
I'm so upset I'm missing the trip to DC. is it the association of american indian physicians conference that you're going to? i hope i'm not way off base...anyways, i went last year when it was in tulsa and it's amazing. i'm moving from dc back to ok the last week in july...I couldn't wait until a couple of days before school started. i have been here 8 months so definitely know my way around town and would have been able to show you around. but i'll let you know of some hot spots (museums, food, bars, etc.) if you're interested. you will have such a good time. all the students that attend the conference are a lot of fun!

dr? said:
I'm so upset I'm missing the trip to DC. is it the association of american indian physicians conference that you're going to? i hope i'm not way off base...anyways, i went last year when it was in tulsa and it's amazing. i'm moving from dc back to ok the last week in july...I couldn't wait until a couple of days before school started. i have been here 8 months so definitely know my way around town and would have been able to show you around. but i'll let you know of some hot spots (museums, food, bars, etc.) if you're interested. you will have such a good time. all the students that attend the conference are a lot of fun!

Yeah, its the AAIP conference. I've heard some really good things about it so far. It's too bad you're missing out this year.

I know I definitely want to hit the Smithsonian, Museum of Medicine, and a few of the major monuments (Jefferson, Lincoln, Washington, White House, Capitol Building). Any other suggestions? :hardy:

Napoleon1801 said:
Yeah, its the AAIP conference. I've heard some really good things about it so far. It's too bad you're missing out this year.

I know I definitely want to hit the Smithsonian, Museum of Medicine, and a few of the major monuments (Jefferson, Lincoln, Washington, White House, Capitol Building). Any other suggestions? :hardy:

The trip to DC my wife and I took over two years ago coincided with the invasion of Iraq and the whacko from South Carolina driving a tractor onto the mall, so we didn't get to do nearly as much as we'd wanted to.

Have fun!

I wouldn't mind doing my residency there in 4-5 years. :)

Does anyone know of a good bank that has ATMs/branches on or near campus? I'm having to switch from out of state and I don't really know what's in that area.

Napoleon1801 said:
Yeah, I'm going. I'm doing research through the NACOE program right now at the Family Medicine Center (I work with ad_sharp). I applied to present my research poster at the conference, and was selected, so now I have to present at the poster competition going on that week. Should be cool, but now the trip isn't completely relaxing with no worries. I'm not too worried about it, though. The itenerary for the conference looks pretty full, so I hope we get time for sight seeing. It will be my first time in DC, and I want to experience it!!
I'll look foward to meeting you!

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Does anyone know of a good bank that has ATMs/branches on or near campus? I'm having to switch from out of state and I don't really know what's in that area.

Bancfirst is decent. I have several accounts w/ them now. They have a no-fee checking for students, and they're closest branch to the HSC is at 10th and lincoln which is like 1/2 mile from the school.

For pure ATM convenience I think Stillwater Ntl Bank has a branch inside the student union, but I don't know what their fee schedule is like, or other terms of their service.

oudoc08 said:
Bancfirst is decent. I have several accounts w/ them now. They have a no-fee checking for students, and they're closest branch to the HSC is at 10th and lincoln which is like 1/2 mile from the school.

For pure ATM convenience I think Stillwater Ntl Bank has a branch inside the student union, but I don't know what their fee schedule is like, or other terms of their service.

I use Stillwater national and I've been pretty pleased. I have a checking account, debit card and online banking with them and there is a monthly fee of like $1.25. So not to bad. It will be nice to have a branch right inside the student union.

Cowboy_fan said:
I use Stillwater national and I've been pretty pleased. I have a checking account, debit card and online banking with them and there is a monthly fee of like $1.25. So not to bad. It will be nice to have a branch right inside the student union.

I use Bank of Oklahoma, they have free atm locations at all 7-11 stores, and lots of branches around town. They have free checking with online bill-pay too. http://www.bok.com/personal/checking/free_checking.asp

DMBFan61 said:
hey kaus5tusadfjkas;dkjfasdljfaklej;lkjbesh...moore?? I remember you complaining that NW32/Merridian was too far :laugh: oh well. enjoy I35 traffic :p

By the way...how many games did CHI take from ATL?

ok, so my place is moore is exactly 1.3 miles farther than yours, right off the interstate, and will cost me half as much. tell the whole story! shouldnt you be in europe with oem3 anyway!!?!? :laugh:

hadnt thought of the early morning traffic though - eek. hope it's not too bad...

oh, and congrats, y'all caught us in our biggest slump of the year. notice how we swept the fish right afterwards, and oh yeah, who won in the 03 playoffs?!!?!? :laugh:

The second year student teaching the BLS class last week suggested we go ahead and buy Chung's Anatomy book if we wanted to look at something before classes start.

I know we've also been admonished to not do anything med school related in these last few weeks, but I just can't stop thinking about it. ;)

Anyway... when people say "Chung's Anatomy book" is this the one to which they are referring?

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=2433340&pr=1139974

Also... he mentioned Netter's Atlas as being the preferred atlas. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I know we talked about this briefly in the pre-allo thread, but I figured we could bring it back to the surface here.

Thanks. :)

Amxcvbcv said:
The second year student teaching the BLS class last week suggested we go ahead and buy Chung's Anatomy book if we wanted to look at something before classes start.

I know we've also been admonished to not do anything med school related in these last few weeks, but I just can't stop thinking about it. ;)

Anyway... when people say "Chung's Anatomy book" is this the one to which they are referring?

http://half.ebay.com/cat/buy/prod.cgi?cpid=2433340&pr=1139974

Also... he mentioned Netter's Atlas as being the preferred atlas. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

I know we talked about this briefly in the pre-allo thread, but I figured we could bring it back to the surface here.

Thanks. :)

That's the book. I'm not sure if a new edition is out. We used the forth edition last year. The Netter's atlas is really good as a supplemental even though I didn't use mine much. I preferred to go to the lab and watch the videos. Just for fun-During Dr Chung's first lecture, go to the section of the book that he is lecturing on during the hour. You'll be amazed at how he can recite the book nearly word for word from memory.

i took anatomy already way back, i found that the coloring books are really useful, i forgot the name ot them though...hmm i'll look on amazon.com post the link, those were really fun and you'll be surprise how much you can remember while coloring.

haha but i don't think i remember much from that class anymore, it was just hardcore memorization.

ad_sharp said:
That's the book. I'm not sure if a new edition is out. We used the forth edition last year. The Netter's atlas is really good as a supplemental even though I didn't use mine much. I preferred to go to the lab and watch the videos. Just for fun-During Dr Chung's first lecture, go to the section of the book that he is lecturing on during the hour. You'll be amazed at how he can recite the book nearly word for word from memory.

No joke. It's incredible. It's like he's got the whole book memorized.

I still remember him referring to the greater omentum as the "abdominal policeman" while I was following him along in the book. He read that whole section almost verbatim.

Amazing. He's a genius, and you'll appreciate him greatly in lab.

As far as the Netters, I say it's great. I didn't go to lab near as much as Sharp, but that just shows you how peoples learning styles change.

I say go ahead and get the Chungs, and the Netters if you want. But hold off on Moore's Atlas at least until you get into the semester a bit to decide if you need anything else. It's a great book, but it's more than you'll have time to read.

However, I do say beware of the "Just study Chung's and screw everything else" advice, that you might hear. Reason? Anatomy is too complex to be taught via a single modality. It needs to be read, visualized, touched, and manipulated. (and that doesn't even include clinical aspects). Yes, much of the written tests do come from Chung's, but you'll do much better if you "understand" anatomy, than if you try to regurgitate it from Chungs book. Anatomy is alot of memorization, but think about the point. You're going to med school to be a clinical physician that is going to have to take care of people utilizing a solid anatomical background. You'll do much better for your patients, and on your tests, if you learn the information rather than store random facts in your short-term. Besides Chung's tests are written based on clinical application, so just regurging the facts isn't enough anyway.
Ex. Mr. X is stabbed in the ..., he has ... clinical presentation, what was his injury? You'll need to know not only the anatomy, but also the function of the structures, nerve supply, blood supply, venous and lymphatic drainage, etc.

OU is great about supplying all of these learning resources, so don't worry if you're more of a reader than a lab person (that's me), or if you can't seem to get it out of a book and feel more comfortable spending endless hours in lab (you can do that too w/ 24hr card access to the anatomy lab). In addition, the online resources, such as the dissection guides, and videos, complement your learning fully.

You'll spend the first test block figuring out your learning style, but once you've gotten it worked out, you can carry it onto neuroscience in the second semester. (ex. I didn't go to any neuro labs, practicals, or reviews, because I was thoroughly comfortable w/ the other resources, and did fine on the practical tests). I should explain that labs are required in anatomy, but are optional for neuro, and there are only a few for neuro.

In any case, enjoy your few remaining weeks of summer. Have some hot dogs, snow cones, lay by the pool, read Chung's, whatever.

Also, don't freak out or let anybody tell you your social life is coming to a screeching halt. (A controlled decceleration perhaps :)). Kidding.
If you want to be in med school, you'll love it.
If you're parents are forcing you to go, I pity you.

Hi everyone.

I just got my amcas verified gpa's...
and for some reason there is a big X to the right of my grade for Foundations of Biomedical Sciences (ZOO 2012).

The X is in the column that says AMCAS USE.
All the others have a / in that box, but this one class has an X.

Any ideas what this is about? I can't imagine why it would not be used by amcas. It is a science class taught by Dr. Thompson and I got an A in it and now my science gpa is lower because of this thing.

???

JohnnyOU said:
Hi everyone.

and for some reason there is a big X to the right of my grade for Foundations of Biomedical Sciences (ZOO 2012).

Any ideas what this is about? I can't imagine why it would not be used by amcas. It is a science class taught by Dr. Thompson and I got an A in it and now my science gpa is lower because of this thing.

???

No clue. Maybe you can appeal it?

JohnnyOU said:
Hi everyone.

???

I would call the amcas people and set on hold for an hour and a half to find out what's going on. It's probably some type of technical error.

The X means "Verified with correction".

I looked at my old form and their new one....no difference so I don't know what they corrected.

I guess it didn't effect my gpa....they just calc'd it in a way a didn't like...just too accurate.

Oh well :)

I'm gonna have to do real well on the mcat next month or I won't get in.

Thanks
Johnny

So what is all happens during orientation? Do we just sit and listen to the rules and regulations, do we get a more detailed tour of campus, etc...
And how long does it last? I know its August 10-12, but is that like 9a-5p or what? Thanks

JohnnyOU said:
The X means "Verified with correction".

I looked at my old form and their new one....no difference so I don't know what they corrected.

I guess it didn't effect my gpa....they just calc'd it in a way a didn't like...just too accurate.

Oh well :)

I'm gonna have to do real well on the mcat next month or I won't get in.

Thanks
Johnny
Dont worry about it, really. It just means that they adjusted something for that particular class, like how you classified it, the status, the course classification, or a semester date, or something. Whatever their reason for making a change, it isn't anything major that will affect your application. It just really means that the class was verified against your transcript, accepted, and they made a small change somewhere respective to that course. I had some of those on my AMCAS...I had messed up the "status" of an entire semester. I still got in. I'm not even sure the med schools see it. But really, it is nothing to worry about.
Good luck!! :luck: (p.s. check out the "Oklahoma Anyone?" thread in pre-allo if you haven't already...it is awesome :thumbup: )

putzeled said:
So what is all happens during orientation? Do we just sit and listen to the rules and regulations, do we get a more detailed tour of campus, etc...
And how long does it last? I know its August 10-12, but is that like 9a-5p or what? Thanks
Yeah!! I wanna know that, too. What are we doing if we are supposed to be in professional dress?

speedo542 said:
Yeah!! I wanna know that, too. What are we doing if we are supposed to be in professional dress?

sweating

JohnnyOU said:
Hi everyone.
???
Also, it doesn't do anything to your GPA. The X doesn't mean anything like that. AMCAS is still counting that class towards your GPA. The A you got in that class will affect your AMCAS GPA however they view that class's weight as. So if your AMCAS verified GPA isn't as high as you thought it would be, it's not because of the X next to your science class. Rest easy. You probably just calculated it (the AMCAS GPA) wrong.

Dr Turninkoff said:
HAhaha!! That's exactly what I was thinking. I was just outwardly hoping it was for another reason. :(

WhoisJohnGalt said:
Hey I wanna know that too! :) Sharp? OUDoc? *nudge nudge* ;)

First, you go through the gauntlet. That involves dental students, soap in socks, and lawn darts. After that you are driven to the middle of the woods and left naked coated with honey to find your way back to the BSEB. At the subsequent ceremony you are forced to burn any remaining symbols of your former life and pledge yourself to withholding the truth about the conspiracies between doctors, FDA officials, politicians, pharmaceutical companies, and aliens.

Seriously though-They just tell you what to expect, the rules, etc. However, It is a lot of fun, they have a few mod exercises and you'll get to take an all expenses paid trip to OU Tulsa to see their facilities and meet the students, residents, and staff. It is business dress so don't show up looking like a slug (wait until the second week of school to let yourself go).

JohnnyOU said:
Hi everyone.

You stole my avatar! :p

Now I actually have to pay attention to the posts. Before, I'd just scroll until I saw the OU, so I'd easily know where I last read things. ;)

I'd just like you to know I made it myself. ;)

hey guys, here they are: the anatomy & physiology coloring books, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-9071618-1919061?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

don't know how useful it'll be for our class but it's a fun-go through-for the summer before class start? ;) haha we be can kids again with our grown up coloring books :cool: they're great for beach trips w/ an ice cold lemonade or a newcastle.

More questions for you guys:

- Tulsa vs. OKC, pros & cons?

1) a summer professional attire for a guy is:
a) suit + dress pants/shirt + ties
b) khakis + dress shirt + ties
c) khakis + nice polo shirt

- :rolleyes: so.. class of 2008, what are you guys planning to feed us newbies on August 9th & the picnic? Papa Johns? Joking :smuggrin:

ad_sharp said:
First, you go through the gauntlet. That involves dental students, soap in socks, and lawn darts. After that you are driven to the middle of the woods and left naked coated with honey to find your way back to the BSEB. At the subsequent ceremony you are forced to burn any remaining symbols of your former life and pledge yourself to withholding the truth about the conspiracies between doctors, FDA officials, politicians, pharmaceutical companies, and aliens.

Why can't every profession be this sweet? :laugh:

speedo542 said:

Well... we're really not supposed to tell, but I guess it won't hurt. See, you get to do your first rectal exam and they want you to look all "doctorly" with your dress shirt sleeves rolled up, your slimy, lube coated finger. and a big smile on your face (they take pictures). Unfortunately, there's no actual simulated patients available that first week, but luckily there's 149 other med students there with nothing else to do. Of course, that unfortunately means that you..., well, never mind, :eek: I guess that's why we're supposed to keep it a secret. At least you'll come out of it knowing some first names, and having some new "special" friends to share med school with. :laugh: