University of Glasgow c/o 2027

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DogtorCera

Applicant
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven’t seen one of these yet, so I thought I’d make one since acceptances have started rolling out!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted this morning, hoping to connect with people! Not 100% sure if I’ll be attending as I’m waiting to hear from other schools but I’m over the moon still.

Received acceptance this am as well. #1 school choice for me. Already want to start!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also accepted! Waiting to hear from other schools but Glasgow was pretty high on my list so I’m very excited :)))

Also accepted! Glasgow is my number one school and I want to go already! I'm from Missouri, any other midwest folks?

For those of you for whom Glasgow is your number one, I’d love to hear some of the reasons if you’re willing to share!

For those of you for whom Glasgow is your number one, I’d love to hear some of the reasons if you’re willing to share!
Hi! I actually just got out of an informational seminar with UofG which just reaffirmed my love for them. There were a few big things that drove me to UofG. First, I love the location. I have always wanted to live in Scotland and have been told numerous times that Glasgow is such a friendly city. Speaking of a good environment, I love the people at the school- both students and faculty. Their big vet wee vet program seems really helpful to transition and make friends. Since I met the faculty on the admissions committee I have only ever had amazing interactions with them. They really seem to get to know their students and want to help you as much as they can, I have only ever heard positive things from former and current students. They have a spiral, integrated curriculum where you learn on a case basis, you get to see the healthy and unhealthy at the same time. I really feel like that would fit well with my learning style. Finally, I am really passionate about research, and UofG is the best place in the UK to be if you want to pursue research. I also love that all of their hospitals have both referral and 1st opinion cases, not many vet schools have both and I don't feel like I would be as prepared to be a veterinarian without 1st opinion cases. Honestly, I could probably give you 10 more reasons but those were my biggest draws. I currently go to Mizzou which has its own vet school, years ago Mizzou was my first choice but as I compared the two UofG just seemed like a better fit for me.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
There
Hi! I actually just got out of an informational seminar with UofG which just reaffirmed my love for them. There were a few big things that drove me to UofG. First, I love the location. I have always wanted to live in Scotland and have been told numerous times that Glasgow is such a friendly city. Speaking of a good environment, I love the people at the school- both students and faculty. Their big vet wee vet program seems really helpful to transition and make friends. Since I met the faculty on the admissions committee I have only ever had amazing interactions with them. They really seem to get to know their students and want to help you as much as they can, I have only ever heard positive things from former and current students. They have a spiral, integrated curriculum where you learn on a case basis, you get to see the healthy and unhealthy at the same time. I really feel like that would fit well with my learning style. Finally, I am really passionate about research, and UofG is the best place in the UK to be if you want to pursue research. I also love that all of their hospitals have both referral and 1st opinion cases, not many vet schools have both and I don't feel like I would be as prepared to be a veterinarian without 1st opinion cases. Honestly, I could probably give you 10 more reasons but those were my biggest draws. I currently go to Mizzou which has its own vet school, years ago Mizzou was my first choice but as I compared the two UofG just seemed like a better fit for me.
Many reasons here are identical to my reasons but I also like the focus and fact on animal welfare and One Health. I've worked with wildlife over the last several years and come from a one health background. Glasgow and a few other schools really focus on a 'One Health' framework and have a wildlife specialization. I also am very focused on working abroad in the UK or Australia or South Africa where I have worked with wildlife or lived. The spiral learning and/or case based learning is very important to me versus a 'block' approach. I also work with a vet that graduated not that long ago from Glasgow and spoke very highly about the program. Matter of fact she did not attend Glasgow initially but transferred in from a different Vet program after some time. Ultimately working in a FSVM, wildlife/conservation or mixed role with One Health is exactly what I wanted. I am pretty confident in saying I do not want to be working in an office or in a small animal clinic as I do today. Glasgow was the top of my list list after all the research, the Q&A session, their desire to see you succeed, having a breadth of ages (some classmates will be 18 right out of 'college' which is UK High School) and the school's reputation. That does not include all of the benefits of being in a small community, capability to travel, less tourists compared to the 'other city :0 out east who is their rival', etc. I do plan on taking a trip out there after the holidays and am really looking forward to the next step on this long journey!

• Love
Accepted this morning, hoping to connect with people! Not 100% sure if I’ll be attending as I’m waiting to hear from other schools but I’m over the moon still.
Congrats on the acceptance! I have my interview next week and was wondering if you had any advice on how to prepare? Are their questions more based on our personal experiences or are they more behavioral (e.g. tell me a time when.., what would you do if..)?

Congrats on the acceptance! I have my interview next week and was wondering if you had any advice on how to prepare? Are their questions more based on our personal experiences or are they more behavioral (e.g. tell me a time when.., what would you do if..)?
Honestly, feel confident and comfortable. I think that is the best to prepare. I was wearing an uncomfy jacket and I think it was obvious on camera, but seems like I did OK in the interview anyway, but I didn't feel confident. There were two interviewers and each took like 10 min asking me questions and I would answer. Both situational/behavioral/ethical and based on my experiences. I sort of got quizzed on some science stuff, but I think that was due to my experience in GP running lab tests and the interviewer (a professor of physiology). Otherwise, you've got this!

how long post interview till you heard back? :)
The school tends to do applicant review in batches. They send out invites, do the interviews, then review. If you've already interviewed, they will probably let you know before we break for the holidays in December. In normal times, they have a turn around time from interview to notification of a couple weeks (typically 2-6 ish)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone by chance know the overall cost for an international student to attend Glasgow? I've attempted to find that info without luck, but want to see if anyone else has? I've heard people say "oh it's expensive!" but without any total cost, I've no idea how much more expensive than a 4 year in the States.

On a side note, I so hope I get in regardless of cost. I think this school is incredible and has the right values. I appreciate their idea of community.

Does anyone by chance know the overall cost for an international student to attend Glasgow? I've attempted to find that info without luck, but want to see if anyone else has? I've heard people say "oh it's expensive!" but without any total cost, I've no idea how much more expensive than a 4 year in the States.

On a side note, I so hope I get in regardless of cost. I think this school is incredible and has the right values. I appreciate their idea of community.
The costs are on their website. UK schools, for international students, are pretty much the same because of legal restrictions, etc. The actual cost of living in Scotland is much cheaper than you would expect. If you were to live in London it would be much greater. I would also note that you have a currency exchange rate too. From just researching the schools if you look at a Midwestern in AZ or Western University in CA they are much more expensive. Ultimately, your in state school will be the cheapest. I think, when it is all said and done, you are in for $300+k in debt for Vet school unless you get into your in-state college. For me, UC Davis is my in-state and I did not get an interview. That school cost is incredibly low but if I did get in I would not attend because it doesn't align to what my goals are ultimately. I just wanted to see if I would even get an interview, lol.

Did any accepted students get an official accepted student package in the mail?

For US schools they usually send something official in the mail!
Ah okay okay. My guess is we probably won’t due to international postage. But who knows. I haven’t received anything and I was accepted 11/5

Also accepted! Waiting to hear back from a few other schools but Glasgow was definitely high on my list!

Accepted from California! Is anyone planning on visiting the school before making a decision?

Accepted today as well but from Quebec, Canada! I want to visit before accepting but do not know it will be possible with school.
Accepted from California! Is anyone planning on visiting the school before making a decision?

Yes! I plan to visit in February and catch the lumineers concert while in there :)

Accepted from ON, Canada, hoping to go visit at some point in February before making a decision!

Accepted from ON, Canada, hoping to go visit at some point in February before making a decision!
I'll be visiting feb 24-27 and have contacted the school about a tour on the 24th or 25th!

I also got an offer last Tuesday (12/07)! I'm from WA but still working on my undergraduate in CA. I was lucky enough to visit the campus the summer of 2019, it's really green and beautiful!

I also got an offer last Tuesday (12/07)! I'm from WA but still working on my undergraduate in CA. I was lucky enough to visit the campus the summer of 2019, it's really green and beautiful!
Where in CA do you go? I live in CA! Went to UCSC

I've been accepted to Glasgow, but am still waiting to hear from my in-state institution (WA). I've been racking my brain for the past month about what decision I will make if I get accepted to both, as there's now doubt that my in-state option will be significantly more affordable, but I am absolutely enthralled with the idea of going to vet school in Glasgow

I've been accepted to Glasgow, but am still waiting to hear from my in-state institution (WA). I've been racking my brain for the past month about what decision I will make if I get accepted to both, as there's now doubt that my in-state option will be significantly more affordable, but I am absolutely enthralled with the idea of going to vet school in Glasgow
I’m in the same boat. I was accepted to my in-state school and Glasgow, but I am having trouble making a decision. Honestly I think one of the deciding factors is going to be the fact that I would earn a BVSM at glasgow vs a DVM in the states..

I’m in the same boat. I was accepted to my in-state school and Glasgow, but I am having trouble making a decision. Honestly I think one of the deciding factors is going to be the fact that I would earn a BVSM at glasgow vs a DVM in the states..
They’re equivalent and both accredited by the AVMA in the US. It’d make it super easy to get a job back in the US if you choose. That’s why I’m picking Glasgow. I can’t turn down and amazing opportunity to study in Europe for 5 years for the same price as my instate 🤷‍♀️

At least I think……
Unfortunately, I do not believe that this is correct. You have whatever degree was awarded to you by the university that you graduated from. If you graduate with a BVSM that is the degree you will have. You will still be a vet and will still be able to practice veterinary medicine (as long as you pass your boards). However, you will not have a DVM. There are many practicing vets in the United States that have degrees other than DVM.

Realize that if you ever wanted to practice medicine outside the US your US AVMA accreditation doesn't transfer to the rest of the world. You would have to take an additional 2 years in the other country - if they'll even admit you - to obtain their 'accreditation' That is a compelling reason why I am attending UofG. You may need a few other classes, etc. or CEU's from another Uni in another country, etc. but overall this is important: University of Glasgow - Subjects A-Z - Veterinary Medicine

Reactions: 2 users
Funny. My brother attends SLO and is in the Const. Mgmt program there. I live by Walnut Creek, CA.
Wow, small world! Afraid I only mostly know other pre-vet folks, but neat! I'm from WA so SLO has definitely been a big change for me lol.

Realize that if you ever wanted to practice medicine outside the US your US AVMA accreditation doesn't transfer to the rest of the world. You would have to take an additional 2 years in the other country - if they'll even admit you - to obtain their 'accreditation' That is a compelling reason why I am attending UofG. You may need a few other classes, etc. or CEU's from another Uni in another country, etc. but overall this is important: University of Glasgow - Subjects A-Z - Veterinary Medicine
This is also why I've been interested in UofG and other UK schools! I love the fact that you're accredited almost worldwide, without having to jump through each country's hoops otherwise. Plus, even if you have a BVSM, you still go by Dr., so that's been less of a worry for me :) I can totally understand wanting to have an "actual doctorate" though, there's definitely more prestige and validation associated with it for Americans (plus you don't have explain the whole "yeah it says bachelors but it's basically a doctorate" to non-vet people lol).

Any current students that would be willing to share some info through direct message?
(Asking for a friend)

From New York here! I accepted the offer the moment I saw my acceptance email. This school is everything I wanted, not to mention it is only 2 hours away from a huge land of beautiful nature.

Does anyone happen to know which is a good neighborhood to live while attending vet school?

Hey guys, just wondering how old everyone is? I am likely going to accept my offer but since I have already completed my undergrad I am worried I will be older than all of my classmates, for reference I am 22. So was curious how many other grad students are thinking of heading to Glasgow in the fall!