UMDNJ-SOM Discussion Thread 2012 -2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone knows how much waitlist movement is generally expected?

Can someone in the bottom half get off the waitlist?

Last year, I believe the top 25%-30% were taken off the waitlist until the class was finalized.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. This is my first post on SDN.

I was waitlisted here last month (GPA: 3.8, MCAT: 27; interviewed beginning of March). I wish I had applied earlier . Hope for the best! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
In state. When I called, she said I was in the top 30% too

If you are in the top 30% you define tilt have a good chance. Not a guarantee but sow thing worth hoping for.

has anyone gotten in who have had multiple MCAT scores?? what was your breakdown of each exam?

has anyone gotten in who have had multiple MCAT scores?? what was your breakdown of each exam?

Hey man, I remember us talking just a year ago about post-bacs! How are you doing?

To answer your question, I have 2 MCAT scores.

Last edited:
did anyone who interviewed in april hear back from the school yet?

Spoke with April today and she told me that the committee met today to re-rank the wait list but I forgot to ask when they would start notifying those accepted off the list. Fail.
Anyone hear anything new about wait list movement?

Spoke with April today and she told me that the committee met today to re-rank the wait list but I forgot to ask when they would start notifying those accepted off the list. Fail.

I called also and they said that the list should be totally updated in the morning. So call sometime in the early afternoon to get your updated rank, if anyone is interested.

Waitlist usually starts moving at end of May (sometime in the last 10 days of this month).

Has anyone else been faced with the dilemma of not wanting to know your placement on the list because you don't want to be starring at the phone and wanting to know your placement because it might give you hope?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually got a call from Paula, accepted today. Good luck to everyone else still waiting!

I called yesterday and was told that the decision on the waitlist would be made friday and next week everyone would know

I called yesterday and was told that the decision on the waitlist would be made friday and next week everyone would know

The decision on the waitlist? I'm a little fuzzy on this. Are they going to just say "Lets let in X number of people from the waitlist" and that's it?

The decision on the waitlist? I'm a little fuzzy on this. Are they going to just say "Lets let in X number of people from the waitlist" and that's it?

Yea it's the decision on the waitlist. I'm guessing they will just go from top to bottom until all their places are filled. Then if someone withdraws later on (up to white coat day), we all still have a chance. All we can do is hope right lol

Just got the call !!!!! So excited!!!:) Good luck to all who are on the waitlist (I probably wasn't ranked high if that helps)

There's 181 people in the 2013 fb group and 162 people who were accepted in 2012. Does that mean there's no hope for the rest of the people on the waitlist?

Best not to look into these things. My gf says thinking about items like that will give me an ulcer. I'm inclined to agree with her lol

There's 181 people in the 2013 fb group and 162 people who were accepted in 2012. Does that mean there's no hope for the rest of the people on the waitlist?

Haha, don't worry. A good portion of that list is first years, but they're definitely keeping this year's accepted class to 162.

There are probably at least 40-50 current students, some people that are just on the waitlist, and some that were accepted but are going to another school now. I wouldn't read into the numbers too much. UMDNJ has had really good waitlist movement in past years, I think about a third of the current class is from the wait list.

Just got the call from Paula.....I'm so excited

Stats aren't everything. I'm a perfect example. My stats are right about average, but my ec's, LOR's and PS were very strong. Plus I was told that I had a great interview.
I just made them know that they were my top choice and it helped

At least the list is actively moving. Congrats on your acceptance.

Stats aren't everything. I'm a perfect example. My stats are right about average, but my ec's, LOR's and PS were very strong. Plus I was told that I had a great interview.

Thanks for the advice. Also, congrats!

Congratulations!!! Enjoy summer, I'll see you during your orientation week.

This is a perfect example of why I stated previously that waitlisted individuals should keep in contact with the school.

I never called to check my ranking. I was told after my interview, I was in the bottom 3rd of the WL.

I'm in the top 20% of the waitlist. I asked what my specific rank was but they wouldn't tell me. Do you guys think I have a good chance of getting in?

I'm in the top 20% of the waitlist. I asked what my specific rank was but they wouldn't tell me. Do you guys think I have a good chance of getting in?

Try and talk to Marisol next time. She goes in detail sometimes.

Withdrawing my acceptance today due to another acceptance. Bittersweet because it is such a wonderful school!!! Hope it goes to one of you :luck:

Anyone hear any news or have called about movement from this school? Been a quiet week on this thread.

I was accepted off the waitlist as soon as waitlist movement began (~2 weeks ago). I'm still unsure of what to do but I have to decide soon. Good Luck Everyone.

Been calling a lot but haven't moved up in the waitlist. It seems like movement is very slow this year. Anybody know if my chances are good if I'm in the top 6% of the waitlist? I haven't moved for quite some time. Does anyone know if UMDNJ-SOM pulls people off by the ranking or if they pull people in with similar stats that decided to go somewhere else?

Still hopeful but school is starting soon!

Been calling a lot but haven't moved up in the waitlist. It seems like movement is very slow this year. Anybody know if my chances are good if I'm in the top 6% of the waitlist? I haven't moved for quite some time. Does anyone know if UMDNJ-SOM pulls people off by the ranking or if they pull people in with similar stats that decided to go somewhere else?

Still hopeful but school is starting soon!

People can be pulled from the waitlist all the way up until August 4, which is white coat ceremony. Don't lose hope yet.

I know that people were pulled off the wait list on June 7 according to someone's post on the som class of '17 fb page.

Anybody know when the committee usually meets to take people off the list?