West Virginia SOM (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you both! Best of luck to you. I'm still going to be creeping on this thread in hopes that you all get a seat in the class haha. Fingers crossed :)
Have you already informed WVSOM that you're not attending? If yes, do you mind telling us when? Just wondering if your seat had already been given to someone.

Members don't see this ad.

Have you already informed WVSOM that you're not attending? If yes, do you mind telling us when? Just wondering if your seat had already been given to someone.

About two minutes ago officially lol.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you want any tips? im gonna be attending the school as a class of 2021
That would be awesome! Are you in-state? (I am btw) I'm super nervous because this is my top choice and my grades the past two semesters have been mediocre. I'm a traditional applicant (no gap year) and I almost feel lame because I haven't had all of these great work experiences out in the real world to talk about like a lot of the nontraditional folks do at this school. :laugh:
stats: 3.43 cGPA, 3.33 sGPA, took the MCAT and will find out my scores soon

Also, do you think secondaries will be out in July? I'm going to submit over the weekend and have everything to and have a complete verified app by the last week of June hopefully. Does this timeline sound good?

Last edited:
That would be awesome! Are you in-state? (I am btw) I'm super nervous because this is my top choice and my grades the past two semesters have been mediocre. I'm a traditional applicant (no gap year) and I almost feel lame because I haven't had all of these great work experiences out in the real world to talk about like a lot of the nontraditional folks do at this school. :laugh:
stats: 3.43 cGPA, 3.33 sGPA, took the MCAT and will find out my scores soon

Also, do you think secondaries will be out in July? I'm going to submit over the weekend and have everything to and have a complete verified app by the last week of the month hopefully. Does this timeline sound good?
Ok honestly your gpa is ok , it can be a lil better since they really looked at each of my classes's grade during interview and asked me about that C and so on, but i had a reason for the bad grades in a few classes, make sure you have a honest excuse or confession ready. They are very mission oriented and make sure to say you researched their school and it fits your goals and career legacy in the future. My mcat was not that great, less than 500, but my gpa with grade replacement was like 3.85 or so . you can pm me for interview and essay tips so on :D good luck , campus is pretty, people are nice, it all depends on you and your achievements in med school to land whatever residency you want in my opinion. :D good luck again.

Ok honestly your gpa is ok , it can be a lil better since they really looked at each of my classes's grade during interview and asked me about that C and so on, but i had a reason for the bad grades in a few classes, make sure you have a honest excuse or confession ready. They are very mission oriented and make sure to say you researched their school and it fits your goals and career legacy in the future. My mcat was not that great, less than 500, but my gpa with grade replacement was like 3.85 or so . you can pm me for interview and essay tips so on :D good luck , campus is pretty, people are nice, it all depends on you and your achievements in med school to land whatever residency you want in my opinion. :D good luck again.
Oh also my secondaries came a lil late i think late july , i submitted the primary the first day it opened , and my interview was in november

Nope, but I'm hoping that we might hear something tomorrow since they typically meet on Tuesdays.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I'm really hoping some movement happens this week, best of luck everyone! You are all in my thoughts!!!
:xf::xf::xf:

I'm trying to find an apartment using the student housing site that the school provides, but the site won't show the contact information for the apartment I want to look at. Does anyone know who I can call from the school to get this information? Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I'm trying to find an apartment using the student housing site that the school provides, but the site won't show the contact information for the apartment I want to look at. Does anyone know who I can call from the school to get this information? Any advice would be great. Thanks!
I would just call admissions if you have a relationship with someone in the office... they are so nice!! Are there many options left? That's actually my biggest point of stress with this whole waitlist process, not knowing where I'm gonna live if I get in last minute!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, got in contact with someone, thanks! They really are a nice staff! There are many options left, but it depends on what you are trying to find. At this point late in the game, it's understandable that the prices are probably gonna be high, so I think that's what is a little frustrating. There are just so many factors to look at: cost, location, furnishing, etc. Personally want something where I can walk to campus pretty easily because I'm not thinking of bringing a car.

Has anyone on the alternate list gone ahead and submitted AACOMAS for next cycle yet? Or planning to submit it soon?

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone on the alternate list gone ahead and submitted AACOMAS for next cycle yet? Or planning to submit it soon?
I am submitting tomorrow, I thought it was open for submission on the 1st?!

I plan to submit by the end of June if I still haven't heard anything

I think that it opened for submission on May 4, but I could very well be mistaken on that!
Maybe the new app was accessible may 4 but can be submitted June 1? Honestly idk for sure, there are so many odds and ends I'm confused about at this point lol. Well regardless, my plan is to submit tomorrow but I'm having second thoughts about my essay... should we talk about being reapplicants in our essays? I am pretty much using my essay form last cycle but idk if it's weird to not mention applying a second time..

Does anyone know if admissions looks at the best MCAT score or the newest MCAT score?

Maybe the new app was accessible may 4 but can be submitted June 1? Honestly idk for sure, there are so many odds and ends I'm confused about at this point lol. Well regardless, my plan is to submit tomorrow but I'm having second thoughts about my essay... should we talk about being reapplicants in our essays? I am pretty much using my essay form last cycle but idk if it's weird to not mention applying a second time..

Honestly I had not even thought about that. I do not think it would really hurt either way, but it might be best to ask around to people that had to reapply to get their suggestions.

Honestly I had not even thought about that. I do not think it would really hurt either way, but it might be best to ask around to people that had to reapply to get their suggestions.
It says right on the AACOMAS homepage that their application cycle begins "early may" lolol :heckyeah: sry if i confused u!! Are you not reapplying... i inferred from ur question ab alt list folks reapplying that you are a reapplicant too! My advisors say mention it, people on forums say its valuable space so why tell them what they already know..

It says right on the AACOMAS homepage that their application cycle begins "early may" lolol :heckyeah: sry if i confused u!! Are you not reapplying... i inferred from ur question ab alt list folks reapplying that you are a reapplicant too! My advisors say mention it, people on forums say its valuable space so why tell them what they already know..

Yes, I am planning on reapplying as well! I had meant that it might be good to ask applicants that reapplied from previous years to see if they had included it in their essays or not when they applied the second time. I can definitely see both sides!

Yup, got in contact with someone, thanks! They really are a nice staff! There are many options left, but it depends on what you are trying to find. At this point late in the game, it's understandable that the prices are probably gonna be high, so I think that's what is a little frustrating. There are just so many factors to look at: cost, location, furnishing, etc. Personally want something where I can walk to campus pretty easily because I'm not thinking of bringing a car.
I was thinking about that too, but everyone I talked to who goes there told me you can walk back and forth from school but if you need groceries or to get anywhere else in town you'd need a car... I think I'll probably end up bringing mine even though I'm right next to the school lol.

I was thinking about that too, but everyone I talked to who goes there told me you can walk back and forth from school but if you need groceries or to get anywhere else in town you'd need a car... I think I'll probably end up bringing mine even though I'm right next to the school lol.

Ya I'd definitely bring a car, it's nice to get out once in a while and go explore outside of Lewisburg. Roanoke, VA is great if you want more nightlife/shopping, and of course the unlimited amount of hiking and camping opportunities. DC is also a short jaunt. If you're a cyclist by chance, Greenbrier County has some of the best cycling roads I've ever had the pleasure of riding. Lake Sherwood is north of White Sulphur Springs if you want to relax on a lake with a sandy beach.

Ya I'd definitely bring a car, it's nice to get out once in a while and go explore outside of Lewisburg. Roanoke, VA is great if you want more nightlife/shopping, and of course the unlimited amount of hiking and camping opportunities. DC is also a short jaunt. If you're a cyclist by chance, Greenbrier County has some of the best cycling roads I've ever had the pleasure of riding. Lake Sherwood is north of White Sulphur Springs if you want to relax on a lake with a sandy beach.
Yeah I'll definitely try my best to bring one, but don't think my '97 Toyota Camry can make the long haul from NY-->WV. I was thinking of just making trips with people to get groceries and then pay them back in some way, maybe a couple of Fridays every month or something. But those other things also sound pretty nice too. Not the best when it comes to the outdoors, but would really a enjoy a good hike now and then!

Yeah I'll definitely try my best to bring one, but don't think my '97 Toyota Camry can make the long haul from NY-->WV. I was thinking of just making trips with people to get groceries and then pay them back in some way, maybe a couple of Fridays every month or something. But those other things also sound pretty nice too. Not the best when it comes to the outdoors, but would really a enjoy a good hike now and then!

You definitely should get a car. Trust me, West Virginia (and Lewisburg) is not the place to be without a car. You can probably pay for a decent used car down there with student loans.

Anyone failed a science non pre-req class and got in? (After retaking it of course)

Hi everyone!

I am from WV and will be going to WVSOM this year. I was accepted for the Class of 2020 but deferred a year due to being pregnant. Now my husband and baby girl will be going down this year. I have a lot of knowledge about the state and the area. If you have any questions let me know! But I'll throw in a couple tips for issues I've seen come up.
1. If you have been accepted there is a Facebook Group WVSOM Class of 2021 that people are posting rentals and items for sale. I found this resources most useful. You can also join the previous classes Facebook groups.
2. BRING A CAR! I cannot stress enough the importance of this. Several people have posted on facebook as well asking about this. Every single answer from anyone in WV is to have a car. It is a rural area. NO PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. And trust me when I say getting people to take you to get groceries will NOT last long. As nice as people are, this is medical school and everyone will be busy. Nothing is within walking distance of supplies and there are no sidewalks or safe areas to walk or ride your bike to stores. Please don't think buying a bicycle will get you by. It rains, snows, sleets ect. The roads are rough with blind turns and dangerous to be on without a car. ABSOLUTLEY 100% NEED A CAR FOR THIS SCHOOL!!!
3. There are a lot of rentals left and people looking for roommates so don't stress.
4. Some people get calls to come to school right up to the week of orientation. It happens everywhere. My little sister dropped out at the last minute from WVSOM because she was accepted at WVU last minute due to someone dropping out there and the cycle goes on. I would prepare to apply again at this point but if you want to wait until July that's perfectly fine and still super early!
5. WVSOM is an AMAZING school. I have family that went there. Worked with many doctors that went there. And spoke with many MD students who said they WISHED they had gone there! And I'm very excited to finally start!

Hi everyone!

I am from WV and will be going to WVSOM this year. I was accepted for the Class of 2020 but deferred a year due to being pregnant. Now my husband and baby girl will be going down this year. I have a lot of knowledge about the state and the area. If you have any questions let me know! But I'll throw in a couple tips for issues I've seen come up.
1. If you have been accepted there is a Facebook Group WVSOM Class of 2021 that people are posting rentals and items for sale. I found this resources most useful. You can also join the previous classes Facebook groups.
2. BRING A CAR! I cannot stress enough the importance of this. Several people have posted on facebook as well asking about this. Every single answer from anyone in WV is to have a car. It is a rural area. NO PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. And trust me when I say getting people to take you to get groceries will NOT last long. As nice as people are, this is medical school and everyone will be busy. Nothing is within walking distance of supplies and there are no sidewalks or safe areas to walk or ride your bike to stores. Please don't think buying a bicycle will get you by. It rains, snows, sleets ect. The roads are rough with blind turns and dangerous to be on without a car. ABSOLUTLEY 100% NEED A CAR FOR THIS SCHOOL!!!
3. There are a lot of rentals left and people looking for roommates so don't stress.
4. Some people get calls to come to school right up to the week of orientation. It happens everywhere. My little sister dropped out at the last minute from WVSOM because she was accepted at WVU last minute due to someone dropping out there and the cycle goes on. I would prepare to apply again at this point but if you want to wait until July that's perfectly fine and still super early!
5. WVSOM is an AMAZING school. I have family that went there. Worked with many doctors that went there. And spoke with many MD students who said they WISHED they had gone there! And I'm very excited to finally start!

I accede these notions.

There is no Uber in Lewisburg :) I too thought I could get by without a car since I'm an avid cyclist and I could just get groceries on my bike right? Wrong. I can get rides with friends right? Wrong. You will be so busy and trying to sync up schedules with people will be very hard. Just because you have a free 5 mins to grab groceries doesn't mean your bud does too. People have different study schedules. If you don't have money or a car, take out some extra loans and get a cheap car. Make things as easy as you can for yourself for the first two years!

Also, good luck to those matriculating in July! I'm happy to still answer any lingering questions yall have. Go crush it.

EDIT: You will also 110% need a car for third/fourth year so don't get one that's too trash can

I was a reapplicant (to several schools) and in my second essay I didn't necessarily say I was a re applicant (it wouldn't make sense to the schools you are applying to for the first time if you decide to throw some new ones in there). But definitely talk about growth as a person and an applicant and what you've done to improve your patient care activities or something meaningful that has impacted you more recently. Don't recycle your old essay, but definitely enhance it. I used the same format from my first one and just added more meaningful experiences as a continuation of my theme. The schools you are reapplying to will notice that you've been actively trying to engage in new activities related to why you want to become a doctor and your ability to reflect on those experiences (I wouldn't write an entirely new/different essay either because then you can't build upon what they already know about you and show your progress). Recycling an old essay without changes will be kind of a red flag and (I wish I could put it in a nicer way) laziness as well. If you want any feedback or edits on a draft I'd be happy to help!
That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing, I was worried about using any part of my original essay but i worked reallllly hard on it the first time and I don't wanna toss it all out. I have for sure changed some things and made it more relevant to what's happening in my app now (new classes, starting a club at school etc). Thanks so much for the advice, it's also super nice to hear it can work out for reapplicants!

They told us most movement is end of May - early June. What point do we call early June mid June

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got the email I've been waiting for, Accepted!!!!

Congrats! Welcome to one of the best DO schools, WVSOM had a 100% match rate this year.

I am officially joining the class of 2021 as well after completing all my administrative paperwork from switching from 2020 after going through with my open heart surgery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats! Welcome to one of the best DO schools, WVSOM had a 100% match rate this year.

I am officially joining the class of 2021 as well after completing all my administrative paperwork from switching from 2020 after going through with my open heart surgery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you know if everyone matched or if placement is included in their "match" list. Is this years match list available?

Do you know if everyone matched or if placement is included in their "match" list. Is this years match list available?

Match list attached. I'll sign autographs later ;)

Attachments

• 2017 WVSOM Match Locations.xlsx
    134.6 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: 2 users
When I called Gwen she told me to call back mid June and she made it seem like if we are not pulled by then they will give us more information specific to our position on the list.... like if the chances aren't likely you will get pulled they'll tell you, but not until mid June. Not gonna pretend to understand their system but hang tight everyone! All we can do is wait and maybe try and stay busy.
Doctortea26 have you called Gwen yet? Just wondering what she has to say on acceptances and rollovers. Wishing you all good luck.

Doctortea26 have you called Gwen yet? Just wondering what she has to say on acceptances and rollovers. Wishing you all good luck.
No I haven't but my friend talked to her the other day. She is advising people not to reapply yet, but I think that's bad advice. I submitted my application last week because it seems like the right thing to do...I applied late last cycle and it really hurt me--the earlier the better. Anyway, she told my friend there hasn't been much movement, but there still could be. She said some students typically give up their seat because out of state tuition is high and they end up going with their in-state options. In my mind that's probably like 1 or 2 people MAYBE so I'm pretty much mentally moving on and refocusing my attention on the new cycle. She did say they are going to meet and offer roll over admission to some people in July.

Last edited:
. She did say they are going to meet and offer roll over admission to some people in July.

Did she mean that they were going to meet on wether or not they would offer roll over admissions? Or that they would actually for sure offer it??