UMDNJ-SOM Discussion Thread 2012 -2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss Away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this school take your highest MCAT, most recent, average, or highest scores from each section?

How OOS-friendly is this school? Wondering if I should apply if I'm from California.

How OOS-friendly is this school? Wondering if I should apply if I'm from California.

They say on their website that 75% of the 153 first year spots are individuals from New Jersey. So there are 38 seats for OOS applicants and I'd assume that this fluctuates by five or so in a given cycle.

Is it true that they don't have a simulation lab? I feel like I read this somewhere and did some searches but couldn't find anything.

As far as I know that is correct. Although they are working to get one, but with state funds being lacking, I would not expect it anytime soon.

They say on their website that 75% of the 153 first year spots are individuals from New Jersey. So there are 38 seats for OOS applicants and I'd assume that this fluctuates by five or so in a given cycle.

Keep in mind those figures are based on those that matriculate. There could have been more OOS students accepted that decided to go to their instate school, etc.

Does this school take your highest MCAT, most recent, average, or highest scores from each section?

Would be nice to know! :D

I'm applying to UMDNJ-SOM, been a resident of Dirty Jerz all my life. Hoping for a better MCAT score than the two I have previously... hence the question ^^^^^

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey pal, I am applying to NJ college of osteopathy. I have family who lives in New Jersey though I live in Maryland. If i were to move permanently to New Jersey with my family there, could I be considered for in-state tuition?

Lastly, how much does Spanish help?

Hey pal, I am applying to NJ college of osteopathy. I have family who lives in New Jersey though I live in Maryland. If i were to move permanently to New Jersey with my family there, could I be considered for in-state tuition?

Lastly, how much does Spanish help?

A second language is always beneficial....

How long have you lived in Maryland? Typically, you need to live in the state for a year prior to matirculation to be considered a resident (from my experience, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). However, I've heard that you can reapply for "In-state" tuition after you're first year, which would make it average (compared to other schools) ~40k/year throughout the span of your med school career.

AACOMAS verified 6/7/2012.

+1

Has anyone checked out the secondary yet?

+1

Has anyone checked out the secondary yet?

Yeah, I started it Thursday. I didn't think it was bad at all. Pretty broad and lots of room to justify your application to their school in a page! Double spacing goes without saying, correct?

I'm so excited for you all!! I'll be a 1st year this fall so feel free to ask questions. If the questions are specific to curriculum, etc I can ask rising 2nd and 3rd years for you, that's if none pop in here to say hi

Sent my secondary application materials to school. Waiting. :rolleyes:

AACOMAS application released to school 6/14/2012 :).

AACOMAS application released to school 6/14/2012 :).

Ditto, secondary will be sent in tomorrow via snail mail. LORs sent. Jersey applicant, just finished the UMDNJ GSBS Masters program. Tons of ECs in the medical field. Here's hoping!

Ditto, secondary will be sent in tomorrow via snail mail. LORs sent. Jersey applicant, just finished the UMDNJ GSBS Masters program. Tons of ECs in the medical field. Here's hoping!
Awesome :thumbup:.. I'm rooting for you.

I'm a Florida applicant, who would love to start in this school next summer.

Secondary was sent 6/15, LORs have already been in...

Hey Gsun88. How was that SMP? I'm starting it this fall at the Piscataway campus.

So, isn't there gonna be a UMDNJ-SOM any more? What the new name is gonna be? Will the campus/buildings be changed?

Everyone relax about SOM.

Over the last many, many years there have been attempts to break UMDNJ up. It is a very large institution and it is very expensive for the state to run. There have been many proposals on the table. The current proposal is as follows:

a) UMDNJ-NJMS would go to Rutgers Newark
b) UMDNJ-RWJ would go to Rutgers New Brunswick
c) UMDNJ-SOM is up for debate. There are NO PLAN to close the school. Let me repeat that. There is NO PLAN to close the school. As it stands right now, there is a proposal to have SOM go to Rowan University. There is a question regarding keeping accredidation. I can assure you that the Deans of the University will ensure that this does not happen. As it stands, the bill will not be voted on unless it clearly states that any transfer MUST assure that the school retains its accredidation. There is a large push from the students, staff, faculty, and alumni regarding this.

Hey Gsun88. How was that SMP? I'm starting it this fall at the Piscataway campus.

Its not bad at all. I went to the one in Newark so it may be a different experience than what I saw but generally, its a pretty good program. I learned a lot, the professors are great (at least most of them) and I got great experience in research. If you want to make your time at GSBS count, then talk to the professors and get to know them. Get in some research and explore your options.

Also, to everyone, I think I read that the bill has a new amendment stating that SOM would not be absorbed if their accreditation was in trouble. Still, the bill sucks.

Did anyone hear anything from SOM (in regards to their application)

I emailed UMDNJ SOM and they told me that the school has not started to download the applications. They should begin in a week or two.

I emailed UMDNJ SOM and they told me that the school has not started to download the applications. They should begin in a week or two.

Are you referring to the primary applications?

Are you referring to the primary applications?

Yea, I had to edit something on my primary application and I told them to watch out for the update. In return they told me they have not downloaded the primary applications from AACOMAS yet.

Yea, I had to edit something on my primary application and I told them to watch out for the update. In return they told me they have not downloaded the primary applications from AACOMAS yet.

Yes I had the same issue I am still waiting for the update to show on my end. She told me that they sent them out every Tuesday so hopefully the changes reflect soon.

But in similar news they must of received my secondary because my credit card just got charged. Still no email though, figures.

It wouldn't be Rutgers. UMDNJ SOM is to be merged with Rowan University.

Rowan University with a hint of Rutgers-Camden apparently. Hmm...wonder how this is going to play out... I mean, Rowan did just open up its own MD school last year sooo maybe this isn't such a terrible thing.

I'm going to vote Democrat just because you posted this annoying spam on multiple threads.

Merger will take place by July 2013. So, the "UMDNJ-SOM" name will be no more by the time class of 2017 matriculates.

As for the new name, current students are pushing for NJSOM @ RU (New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine @ Rowan University), rather than RUSOM (Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine).

The former is obviously better, as over time it can be shorthanded to NJSOM, similar to how most people refer to UNTHSC/TCOM (University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine) as simply TCOM.

Merger will take place by July 2013. So, the "UMDNJ-SOM" name will be no more by the time class of 2017 matriculates.

As for the new name, current students are pushing for NJSOM @ RU (New Jersey School of Osteopathic Medicine @ Rowan University), rather than RUSOM (Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine).

The former is obviously better, as over time it can be shorthanded to NJSOM, similar to how most people refer to UNTHSC/TCOM (University of North Texas Health Science Center at Fort Worth/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine) as simply TCOM.
+1
Who knows what its next name is gonna be after RUSOM. So, I'd rather have it's named as NJSOM to keep at least its legacy.

I dont understand how they can do this timing without making exceptions for current applicants as well. I did not apply to Rowan University, I applied to UMDNJ...so there seems to be to be some potentially serious legal issues here even for the Class of 2017...

I dont understand how they can do this timing without making exceptions for current applicants as well. I did not apply to Rowan University, I applied to UMDNJ...so there seems to be to be some potentially serious legal issues here even for the Class of 2017...

Legal issues are non existent for 2017, applicants have not been interviewed, accepted, or confirmed their spot at the school. There will be no legal recourse as any 2017 applicant would have knowingly continued in the application process after this merger was passed and made available for public record. I know UMDNJ has changed but SOM has not. Focus on the school itself and not the parent name. Best of luck to you for this application season

Just be thankful you're not a current 4th year who will be biting his or her lip hoping Rowan doesn't drop the ball in regards to accreditation. If the school doesn't maintain it and loses it before graduation the entire class of 2013 technically has a piece of paper they paid a lot for but cannot use. I'd be wetting the bed nightly.

Just be thankful you're not a current 4th year who will be biting his or her lip hoping Rowan doesn't drop the ball in regards to accreditation. If the school doesn't maintain it and loses it before graduation the entire class of 2013 technically has a piece of paper they paid a lot for but cannot use. I'd be wetting the bed nightly.

Rowan merger doesn't go into effect until July 1, 2013...class of 2013 would have matched and graduated well before.

I agree with this, but will they give refunds to people that applied and don't want to be a part of Rowan?

I would encourage anyone who has concerns to reach out to admissions with those questions. Keep in mind they only have control over secondary and not primary apps.

So realistically, what are the consequences of this merger for us applying this year? Is accreditation being questioned?

SOMs Dean is a commissioner of COCA. He knows the ins and outs of the accreditation process and along with the other deans have ensured that language was included in the bill to preserve accreditation and allow for a smooth re-accreditation The other medical schools will still need to go through re-accreditation as well because their parent institution has also changed. Although Rowan is not as established as Rutgers they have the resources required to obtain partial LCME accreditation for Cooper Medical School. The Deans have assured the entire student body, staff, and faculty that SOMs accreditation is NOT in jeopardy.

Some people feel Rutgers has a better track record to keep SOM afloat than Rowan. More people seem to have faith in Rutgers than Rowan.

+1! If UMDNJ SOM went to Rutgers, I wouldn't feel as crappy. Oh well...

As far as the DO school has been accreditted in this year, I'm okay with Rowan. It's not that weak a university. It was listed as #21 in the US News Ranking. I donna if this doesn't satisfy your scientific curiosities.

As far as the DO school has been accreditted in this year, I'm okay with Rowan. It's not that weak a university. It was listed as #21 in the US News Ranking. I donna if this doesn't satisfy your scientific curiosities.

Eh, its ranked 21 out of the Regional University North Rankings, in addition, there are 5 #21 rankings in that list.

All I am saying is I would rather keep UMDNJ SOMs name because it is currently ranked one of the top 3 DO schools in the country. In addition, the reason I think why most of us are so skeptical is because Rowan just opened up their allopathic school. I am still going to apply but I am going to hold my final word till I hear how they are going to re-structure.