>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the alchemist said:
uh, oh...ralphie's mad..which apt was that :rolleyes: ? sono così spiacente. i prob didn't take ur apt cuz i got one on the lakeside (not one of the discounted ones with the 795/mo deal - very few of those r left and they say those hardly open up, but i did get the umdnj student discount of 1 month off). its about $21 more a month on the lakeside but the parking sit doesn't seem as cramped and i met some cool neighbors in my bldg - one is starting his cardiology residency at cooper and went 2 rwjms and the other guy is what we affectionately refer 2 as an 'egg' and took time 2 talk 2 me even though he was on his way 2 his wedding in cape may - if u don't know, an egg is white on the outside, yellow on the inside (being from near fort rhee u should understand what this means)...hope u get the apt u want :) and that we'll b neighbors soon. just make sure 2 decide soon cuz i know that another sdn person sent a check in and by the time it got 2 the rental office, the apt was already taken.

:mad: the apartment i wanted is on the third floor.

Members don't see this ad.

flick2010 said:

the options that liz all gave me were either on the ground or 2nd floor. and i'm on the ground floor so ur apt is still there i would guess. i'd love the 3rd floor but they didn't tell me that any were open. so i dunno if that means there r no more 3rd floors left or maybe they were saving that one 4 u ;). i'd give them a call if i were u. i know that the 2 3rd floor apts in my bldg were recently rented - the cardio resident was just moving in and the egg soon-2-b-married dude moved in the last month i think he said. anyways, if u weren't looking on the side with the lake, then we're talking about diff apts anyways. hope u get the one u want dude...and a WC victory 2morrow...though zidane is retiring after this game...but he's already won a WC anyways.

"though zidane is retiring after this game...but he's already won a WC anyways"

Plainly stated: Zidane is the man.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tones24 said:
"though zidane is retiring after this game...but he's already won a WC anyways"

Plainly stated: Zidane is the man.

oui, d'accord, zidane est l'homme.

flick2010 said:

Village has a non-upgrade 3rd floor available ($845 i think)...it's actually the one we were supposed to get, but 3 flights of stairs just plain sucks when moving furniture in, so we didn't take it.

Buona fortuna, il mio amico!

congratulazioni agli italiani! a 4th WC - guess the italians r creeping in on the brazilian record of 5 WCs.

i think zidane is a great player but dunno about that headbutting incident ;)

/del/

Last edited:
oh, tango... i think we're going to be great friends. :)

by the way, the apt at echelon glen has been confirmed. can't wait to meet everyone!

flick2010 said:
by the way, the apt at echelon glen has been confirmed. can't wait to meet everyone!

did u get the 3rd floor apt u wanted?

So... I have officially moved in and I'm looking forward to meeting everybody. If you are around and looking for beach buddy/Philly/anything else... give me a shout :)

-Amy

Members don't see this ad :)
ames211 said:
So... I have officially moved in and I'm looking forward to meeting everybody. If you are around and looking for beach buddy/Philly/anything else... give me a shout :)

-Amy

where are you living?

just got this today with the orientation packet. Anybody starting early on half.com to save money? I am afraid to buy things because I understand there will be some kind of big brother 2nd year donation program.

brodaiga said:
just got this today with the orientation packet. Anybody starting early on half.com to save money? I am afraid to buy things because I understand there will be some kind of big brother 2nd year donation program.

is it the same outdated book list that is under FILES on myumdnj/SOM class of 2010 group? guess i'll have some goodies waiting in the mail when i get home from work 2day. so how was israel?

hey guys, i was wondering, are we supposed to rsvp the school with the people we're bringing for white coat? the only thing i remember was that they set the limit at 2, but was wondering if they wanted that info anyway.

-Usman

uchoudhr said:
hey guys, i was wondering, are we supposed to rsvp the school with the people we're bringing for white coat? the only thing i remember was that they set the limit at 2, but was wondering if they wanted that info anyway.

-Usman

heya chowda, yes u do have 2 rsvp by calling liz cruz at student affairs. 856-566-6740. or i guess u can email her at [email protected], but i called. once u confirm they tell u that they will send out a packet 2 u b4 the ceremony (i haven't received one yet so i guess they haven't sent them out yet).

hey guys, just a friendly reminder, if you haven't already, please make sure you turn in your big brother/sister survey form. we're going to use those to match you up well with someone in our class to be your big. thanks.

and as always if you have any questions about anything, feel free to hit us up.

Hey everyone... time-is-a-tickin' :eek: !! I'm still not over the initial shock of the schedule I just received so I won't even go there... but I do have a question about the books like several of my other wonderful classmates. Should we bother buying them now? Or should we wait to meet our Big Bro/Sis? And if we should get them, do we need all of them? What about the recommended stuff? Please help us (I feel incredibly corny begging like this but I know the others are happy that I'm taking one for the team here ;) )

Also- I'll be living on the 2nd floor of Echelon Glenn, so neighbors... send me a shout out... I can't wait to meet everyone!!

flick2010 said:
wait, wait, wait, wait... back up. we have to rsvp for the white coat ceremony? and i thought we could bring 3 (three) people. ugh.

Ralph B.
Villanova University '05
http://www.myspace.com/rbflick120
http://groups.myspace.com/umdnjsom2010

yeah, 2 liz cruz and it was 2 ppl, although i guess u could ask 4 an extra ticket if they have any. 856-566-6740. i think in the packet we got yesterday, it also said 2 confirm how many ppl 4 the white coat ceremony.

GlossyGal said:
Hey everyone... time-is-a-tickin' :eek: !! I'm still not over the initial shock of the schedule I just received so I won't even go there... but I do have a question about the books like several of my other wonderful classmates. Should we bother buying them now? Or should we wait to meet our Big Bro/Sis? And if we should get them, do we need all of them? What about the recommended stuff? Please help us (I feel incredibly corny begging like this but I know the others are happy that I'm taking one for the team here ;) )

Also- I'll be living on the 2nd floor of Echelon Glenn, so neighbors... send me a shout out... I can't wait to meet everyone!!

As you'll quickly realize once school starts, the approach to med school is a really personal thing, with tremendous variation in the study time, books used, class attendance, study methods, etc. So, that being said, I'm sure some of my classmates will chime in with their own thoughts on the matter.

I found that books were more important second semester of first year. I don't remember exactly how your first-year schedule breaks down, but I do know there are changes from ours. Our first semester consisted of Biochem, Physio, Histo, Genetics, OMM. To me, most biochem and physio texts are roughly equivalent, especially when learning the general subjects as you will be doing. I think the most frequently purchased biochem text in my class was the Lippincott's Illustrated Reviews. It's not too bogged down in detail, straightforward, and a good fit for med school biochem. I also had two texts leftover from grad school, Harper's and Berg & Stryer, both of which are a bit "thicker" so to speak, and I really never looked in them more than a handful of times.

I think the Physio texts are all roughly equal. The notes you receive for your classes first semester are so thorough and detailed, you really won't rely on any textbooks. They're great to have as a reference, but if you choose to study in the library a lot, all of these books are on reserve. I got the Costanzo Physio book, and really didn't need it much at all. I never bought any Histo text...the notes are thorough and there is a decent class website as well. Get to know those histo notes top to bottom, he tests everything in there.

I never bought an OMM text either. I did buy the genetics book, and it came in handy sometimes. Most people didn't buy it, and with genetics being a subject of lesser importance in med school, it's certainly not urgent. As I said, your notes are great during first semester, hundreds and hundreds of pages straight from the professors.

You will get a great deal of materials from your big siblings, yes...but be careful about textbooks. I have an entire crate of stuff I got from my big brother, and that I will gladly pass along to one of you. BUT, I'm probably hanging onto textbooks.

What I meant when I said books are more important second semester is that you'll need a couple books for anatomy, Dr. White literally writes the book on Neuro so you'll need that, and having a Micro book comes in handy as well. Those are my thoughts on the matter, hopefully you'll read from someone else another approach that worked well for them. Good luck. And don't sweat too much about the schedule, I know it looks overwhelming at first.

Hey all!!! I can't believe school starts so soon....where has summer gone? I have a quick question about computers....I just bought my laptop and I didn't go with the recommended one. I bought an E1505...I don't know much about computers.........does anyone know if that will work?

Hey all!!! I can't believe school starts so soon....where has summer gone? I have a quick question about computers....I just bought my laptop and I didn't go with the recommended one. I bought an E1505...I don't know much about computers.........does anyone know if that will work?
Ooooo. The previous question reminded me of something I wanted to ask...
Do many students use their computers during lecture? I know the desks in the classrooms are small. Are the notes the professors give you on paper or on the computer?

the alchemist said:
although i guess u could ask 4 an extra ticket if they have any.

I only have 1 person coming, so someone can take my extra spot. Just tell them that Nicole Campfield ([email protected]) only has 1 guest and that she said I could use her "extra ticket".

Hope that helps!

To answer the laptop questions, pretty much anything will work as long as you have wireless, which all new laptops do. The tech people will get you set up during orientation. You don't have to get a dell, I have a thinkpad.

People do use laptops during lecture. Some people religiously use their computer during every class, follow the powerpoints and take notes using it, others will pick and choose. I would say that about 10-15% of the class regularly brought or used their laptops. You don't really need it, but sometimes its nice to have it. I would bring it with me, and use it during lecture if I felt like it. The desks are a bit small, but the rooms have a number of outlets in the back for charging throughout the day.

Hello all and welcome to the dirty Jers if you're not from here like myself! I'm a second year with the rest of these clowns - I live in Echelon Glen with PublicEnemy aka The Prez. Seriously though, if any one has any questions I'll be glad to forward you to someone who has better answers. JK.

Two questions for all you newcomers: 1. Do we have any golfers out there? 2. Do we have any Super Bowl Champion Pittsburgh Steeler Fans out there?

One piece of advice for everyone coming in: You can listen to every single one of us Yahoos tell you about what med school is like but ultimately you have to figure it out for yourself.

Although the key to getting honors is to go out the the bar the night before the exam. And I'm dead serious about that one!

Denny

I recall last year that I made sure only two people came to the white coat, and some others brought like their parents and 3 others from their extended family. I think the RSVP, etc is primarily to help them plan for food and seating. I would inform the office if you plan on brining more than 2 people, since I doubt they will deny the request. It's not like they had a ticket counter and turnstile.

It's your day, enjoy it with your loved ones... just be considerate of the school's planning and logistics.

ames211 said:
I am in the Landings

Me too!
I'll be moving this saturday, and i'm looking forward to meeting everyone. What apt are you in?

REGARDING BOOKS

don't buy ANYTHING til you get here and talk to your Big. they will tell you what's worth buying and may have a list made up for you - the list sent to you is extremely comprehensive (just wait til you see the second year reading list).

also, many books are available online through the school library so check before you buy. your class notes will be enough until you get some books anyway.

enjoy the rest of your summer - sadly mine's over (3rd year has begun) but man it's sooooooo much better than being in class (remember that, you'll be here soon enough).

best of luck!
J

I know last years tuition for instate students was around $21,390. Does anyone know what this year's tuition is? I just got the email about university academic and hospital budget cuts so I'm a little concerned. I’m sure the academic portion of the university will remain as strong as ever and I am sure the hospital will recover. Even if some programs need to be cut I can always do residencies elsewhere (worst case scenario). Does anyone have any idea how much tuition is going up are we talking just like a thousand or so? I don't know how much of an increase I can handle. How is everyone getting enough loans for medschool? They capped me out with Stafford and Perkins at like $40,000. The estimated cost of being a student last year was $42,513. I was cutting a little bit in transportation, fees, and books to help pay for that but its going to be pretty hard depending on the tuition increase. Is there a way to tell the financial aid office we need more?

It might help if I explain why I'm paranoid as well :) I am coming from Pennstate and every year we had a probably 10-20% tuition increase since my first year. So I guess I’m not as concerned about the tuition going up this year, but that it won't stay steady the following years as it has traditionally in the past at umdnj-som. Like if it went up to $23,000 and stopped I would be ok with that, but if the next year it was $26,000 then $29,000 etc.... well I'd be in serious trouble.

Don't stress too much about financial aid. Since the budget was just finalized, they'll adjust the student budgets accordingly with the tuition hike. You can always go back to the financial aid office and request more funds if you haven't maxed out your annual amount. They're helpful, and the process is simple and quick.

Tuition increases are capped at 8%... not sure they'll reach the full 8% though.

ornis4 said:
Don't stress too much about financial aid. Since the budget was just finalized, they'll adjust the student budgets accordingly with the tuition hike. You can always go back to the financial aid office and request more funds if you haven't maxed out your annual amount. They're helpful, and the process is simple and quick.

Can you do that mid-year? Or do you to have that request right now, the amount I'm getting could be enough, but I'm a little worried.

There is a waiting list that you have to get on if you want to bring more than two people. The organizer of the list is Dean Michiche. I believe they will announce this Monday if requests are accepted or denied. What are the guys wearing for the ceremony, a formal suit or just a nice shirt?

Yes, you can do that any time you'd like. Towards the end of Spring semester, we'll all get an email from the financial aid office informing us of the last possible date to request extra funds for the year.

Hi,

I just got off the waitlist not too long ago. Any female still looking for a roommate to share an apartment? I want to have my own room, but I think I will feel isolated having an entire apartment to myself. I'm from California, and do NOT plan to have a car in New Jersey. So, if the apartment is not within the biking distance (less than one mile) from the school, I will need a carpool partner. Thanks.

Brodaiga I am def not wearing a full suit. I mean we are putting the white coat over it anyways so I would say max is a nice shirt and tie. I'm debating between the nice shirt and tie and a polo and dress pants. Prob going to go with a nice shirt and tie.

most of the guys wore a shirt and tie with khaki's at my white coat ceremony. the ladies were in skirts, summer dresses, or nice slacks and a blouse. enjoy the day with your families and friends!

J

kmw5555 said:
I'm from California, and do NOT plan to have a car in New Jersey. So, if the apartment is not within the biking distance (less than one mile) from the school, I will need a carpool partner. Thanks.

Hey, I'm also from CA. I have a car that is not meant for NJ winter weather but I may buy a used 4- or all-wheel drive car after December. Unfortunately, I may have to rent a car for the first several weeks I'm in town b/c I'm having my car shipped and the delivery window is huge.

I'll be living in Timber Ridge, so if you live in Lindenwold and I do have a car (2 big conditions, I know), you're welcome to ride w/me for orientation and such. I'm in the PBLC so I doubt our schedules will correspond well enough for carpool once classes start.

OMMFan said:
Hey, I'm also from CA. I have a car that is not meant for NJ winter weather but I may buy a used 4- or all-wheel drive car after December. Unfortunately, I may have to rent a car for the first several weeks I'm in town b/c I'm having my car shipped and the delivery window is huge.

I'll be living in Timber Ridge, so if you live in Lindenwold and I do have a car (2 big conditions, I know), you're welcome to ride w/me for orientation and such. I'm in the PBLC so I doubt our schedules will correspond well enough for carpool once classes start.

I'm also living in Lindenwold at the landings. I'm traveling kinda far as well...but not as far as CA. I'm actually driving out in a few hours and should be there tomorrow morning/early afternoon. If you need a lift to orientation and whatnot just let me know.
~Chris

csox84 said:
I'm also living in Lindenwold at the landings. I'm traveling kinda far as well...but not as far as CA. I'm actually driving out in a few hours and should be there tomorrow morning/early afternoon. If you need a lift to orientation and whatnot just let me know.
~Chris

Thanks, Chris! I'd really appreciate a ride to orientation. My mom is going to help me unpack for a few days so we might have to rent a car so we can shop for necessities and so she can get around while we're busy with orientation, but I'm not sure we'll have a car every day, especially if I'm going to be without mine until 8/11. My car is so old that I could probably spend the value of my car on rentals. :thumbdown:

Does anyone know which phone company has the cheapest rates for landlines in our area?

I personally chose to use my cell, why need a land line? If you need one comast has a good deal where for $99 you get digital cable, digital telephone, and high speed internet. This stuff seperately is around $170.

P.S. For the girl renting,I think enterprise would be cheapest, they usually have 1/2 price weekends. They also have the lowest under 25 fees

Yo, if anyone wants to go see You, Me and Dupree tonight at 10, give me a call 614-204-3756.

Denny