>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jerseygrrl4

Heather
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just couldn't wait for someone else to start our class thread, so here we go! I'll start by introducing myself, my name is Heather and I'm from North Jersey outside NYC (Paramus area for anyone close by). I actually applied late in the cycle last year and got put on the "accepted but we have no room left in the class" list... so for all you wait-listers out there, keep on truckin' cause there is always hope. I graduated Cornell in 2004, which makes me 23 now. I absolutely fell in love with SOM from the first time I visited and every time I go back I feel better and better about becoming a part of that community. I started my Master's at umdnj in newark after college, hated it, so after finding SOM I withdrew from that program and I've been working as an EMT to save up some cash ever since. That's pretty much what I'll be doing till school starts, and hopefully I'll be relaxing a bit over the next few months too (including some fright fest quality time for all you great adventure lovers).

Anyways, I just wanted to say a little something about myself and I hope you guys will do the same. Whats everybody doing over the next 9 or so months? I'm so excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the family! If anyone needs anything at all or has questions please feel free to ask. We have three Heather's in my class so you have a 3 in 100 chance of having a Heather as your big sis next year =) In case you didn't know we have a sibling program where someone from our class will be paired to each of your class to help guide you through the transition and give you lots of advice (and old exams ;) ) Anyway, congratulations!

thanks nate! i do have one question... i know its a little early, but any ideas about what apartment complexes and areas are good? They sent us a packet about areas and I have a dog, which many places allow, but i don't know where (and when)to start looking. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Jerseygrrl4! I'm still waiting to hear back about my application. Hopefully I'll be able to join this thread as a SOM student eventually :)
I actually live fairly close to Stratford (and used to live in Lindenwold a while back) but there are several nice, quiet (more expensive) apt complexes in Voorhees not too far from the school. I'm not sure if you have a car or not, but I think you should be okay in terms of getting back and forth from those apts to class by bike, if you don't mind biking a little bit. But it might be nice to have a car. In Lindenwold and Pine Hill the rents are cheaper; Lindenwold isn't far away either, Pine Hill just a bit further away.

Well good luck nvshelat! Trust me I did my share of waiting as well, so just remember not to give up, if you really want it you'll end up finding whats right for you. I heard of Voorhees but the mapquest thingie told me it was like an hour away, I guess that wasn't right. I also need somethin cheap, but I figure I'll take a little trip on down there sometime soon to check out a few places. thanks for the advice though, much appreciated!

I'm Brett and I will be attending SOM in the Fall as well. I have been a resident of Florida for 17 years. I'm a 4th year at the University of Florida and finishing my degree in Microbiology. I just turned 22 last month and will probably spend some time at my parents house this summer before coming to Jersey. I'm a big fan of becoming a DO and I like Jersey. UMDNJ is also the top funded osteo research school and I'm kinda into research. Among those facts and a few others, I knew UMDNJ was the right choice for me. All SOM needs is a football team and I'll pack my bags right now. :laugh:

A lot of students live in Stonington. I live at the Landings at Pine Lake, which I love. Also you can check out the Village - small rooms and a bit pricey. Also Chalet is nice and so is Pine Hill Gardens. I've looked at the majority of the apartments on the list that's minutes from school when I was apartment searching. If you have a question on specifics I might be able to help you with that.

I live in Echelon Glen in Voorhees and I am very happy with it. It is 2 miles from the school and in a very nice area. The rent is a bit more than some of the other places I looked at but the location, proximity to the school, and the size/feel of the apartment was what sold me here. There will be a housing/New Student day in the spring where you will get a housing packet and a list of students looking for roommates. I recommend seeing the apartments for yourself though, after-all you will be living there for probably the next 4 years and then potentially another 3 or so more if you take residency with UMDNJ or even in Philly. I used www.rent.com and made a list and started researching the places in the area, mapquest will tell you the proximity to the school, and then I narrowed the list and made appointments to the different places within an hour or two of each other and made a day of it (well made a few days of it since I looked at a bunch of places). I also got a few recommendations from students here on SDN, one was for Echelon Glen (thanks docjay!).

Welcome to our school! For those of you looking for roommates, our class website will have listings as they become available. Check it out as summer rolls around. SOM2009.com

Thanks guys..thats a big help.... do you know anybody who commutes to school (45min-1hour)? It's just that my long-term bf and I wanted to live together but his job is going to keep him here, so we wanted to find a place somewhere in the middle if i don't get a place by the school. Do you think that would be a huge mistake? I heard from some students that they commute to NYCOM and they didn't mind so much..

Also... random question, but do professors usually make their powerpoints available online before class, cause i was thinking about getting a tablet pc so i could take notes on the slides on the tablet instead of having mounds of paper from the syllabus.....and are pda's necessary? (lets just say i work for best buy and i'm trying to take advantage of my discount now.haha)

Jerseygrrl4 said:
Thanks guys..thats a big help.... do you know anybody who commutes to school (45min-1hour)? It's just that my long-term bf and I wanted to live together but his job is going to keep him here, so we wanted to find a place somewhere in the middle if i don't get a place by the school. Do you think that would be a huge mistake? I heard from some students that they commute to NYCOM and they didn't mind so much..

Also... random question, but do professors usually make their powerpoints available online before class, cause i was thinking about getting a tablet pc so i could take notes on the slides on the tablet instead of having mounds of paper from the syllabus.....and are pda's necessary? (lets just say i work for best buy and i'm trying to take advantage of my discount now.haha)

Notes are available beforehand, but pp slides only are for certain classes. It's possible that you could request slide presentations from individual professors. My guess is that some would be more willing to accomodate than others. And PDAs are definitely not needed during the first year.

Also, I live in Echelon Glenn and highly reccomend it. It's a very well maintained apartment complex. We are within less than a mile of a mall, library, YMCA, Olive Garden, Target, Supermarket, and various shopping centers. Three bedroom apartments are a pretty good deal. If you are interested in Echelon Glen, then make sure you realize that they don't show up to UMDNJ's housing day event.

Heyyyy everyone!! I am so happy to be a part of UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!! That phonecall was the best news in the world. My parents and I are absolutely ecstatic!!

Just want to introduce myself. My name is Supriya, and I just graduated from State University of New York at Binghamton in May of 2005. I had decided to take the year off after graduation the summer after my junior yr because I wanted that break before making the big plunge into medical school. Ever since I visited SOM i fell in love with the place. It is such a wonderful environment for everyone there, and it just feels right to walk around there. I cannot wait till August! I actually volunteer as an EMT, and am in the process of trying to become a paraprofessional aide for elementary school. I also want to travel with this time off but we'll see how much i can save up for that.

I was wondering how exactly we can go about looking for roomates?? I would love to share with 1 or 2 other females, and find a nice place close enough to campus.
Kevbot, Echelon Glenn sounds like a really nice and convenient place. How far is it from campus??
And when is the housing day event?? I wanted to look and find a place asap, so when do people normally start this process??
And where exactly do we look for roomates??

Sooo happy to be here =) woo hoo!!!

Housing day is included in Accpeted Students Day, our's was in April.

Members don't see this ad :)
dreamz912 said:
Heyyyy everyone!! I am so happy to be a part of UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!! That phonecall was the best news in the world. My parents and I are absolutely ecstatic!!

Just want to introduce myself. My name is Supriya, and I just graduated from State University of New York at Binghamton in May of 2005. I had decided to take the year off after graduation the summer after my junior yr because I wanted that break before making the big plunge into medical school. Ever since I visited SOM i fell in love with the place. It is such a wonderful environment for everyone there, and it just feels right to walk around there. I cannot wait till August! I actually volunteer as an EMT, and am in the process of trying to become a paraprofessional aide for elementary school. I also want to travel with this time off but we'll see how much i can save up for that.

I was wondering how exactly we can go about looking for roomates?? I would love to share with 1 or 2 other females, and find a nice place close enough to campus.
Kevbot, Echelon Glenn sounds like a really nice and convenient place. How far is it from campus??
And when is the housing day event?? I wanted to look and find a place asap, so when do people normally start this process??
And where exactly do we look for roomates??

Sooo happy to be here =) woo hoo!!!
Generally, you start looking for roommates and housing after housing day. I met my current roommates on housing day in April and we found our apartment in Echelon Glen sometime during May. Echelon Glen is less than 2 miles from campus, but because of the rush hour traffic in the morning, its about a 10 minutes drive.

it'll be more like a 5 min drive when you guys have to get there for class in second year (butt crack of dawn - 8am vs. 9am is a huge difference, you'll see!)

-J

Jerseygrrl4 said:

I drive 45+ min and it sucks....it really depends on where your from (which major highway) that will determine how it is....the only thing that keeps me from moving is that my rent is so low....the morning traffic is going to get old quick especially when you start rotations....so, do it only if you absolutely have to....i only see my gf on weekends (i really wouldnt have time to much w/ her during the week anyway)

hey

i just got a nice winter greetings card and calendar from UMDNJ-SOM, that was nice!

did anyone else get one?

also, who else has made it to UMDNJ-SOM and plans to come?

I have been waiting for AWHILE to hear back from them and I sent in my stuff long time ago. How long did you guys wait to hear bout an interview?? is it still early in the admissions process?? everytime i call they say they're still looking at my file. any advice???

ragda26 said:
hey

i just got a nice winter greetings card and calendar from UMDNJ-SOM, that was nice!

did anyone else get one?

also, who else has made it to UMDNJ-SOM and plans to come?

nvshelat said:
Congrats Jerseygrrl4! I'm still waiting to hear back about my application. Hopefully I'll be able to join this thread as a SOM student eventually :)
I actually live fairly close to Stratford (and used to live in Lindenwold a while back) but there are several nice, quiet (more expensive) apt complexes in Voorhees not too far from the school. I'm not sure if you have a car or not, but I think you should be okay in terms of getting back and forth from those apts to class by bike, if you don't mind biking a little bit. But it might be nice to have a car. In Lindenwold and Pine Hill the rents are cheaper; Lindenwold isn't far away either, Pine Hill just a bit further away.

Isn't Voorhees about an hour away from Stratford?

I live in Newark,and am trying to figure out if I can do the commute or if I should moove closer. The problem is that I have my parents and in-laws who can help with the kids here. So still trying to figure out what to do.

Either way I still have time, I'll be taking the MCAT in April and applying to UMDNJ in Newark as well as the DO (which I would much prefer)in south jersey. I'll also be applying to other tri-state area schools.

I guess I shouldn't ask but how's the commute? :oops: ...as if I don't know.

your mom said:
I drive 45+ min and it sucks....it really depends on where your from (which major highway) that will determine how it is....the only thing that keeps me from moving is that my rent is so low....the morning traffic is going to get old quick especially when you start rotations....so, do it only if you absolutely have to....i only see my gf on weekends (i really wouldnt have time to much w/ her during the week anyway)

thanks for the advice, i think i am going to live close by at least for the first year while I get settled with school and we'll see from there. I went to see apartments and I loved going into philly after, it was so close!

And Ebete...I ran into the same question about Voorhees since I recognized the name from northern Jersey, but it turns out there are two... one very close to stratford and one about and hour away.

Ebete said:

I live in Newark,and am trying to figure out if I can do the commute or if I should moove closer. The problem is that I have my parents and in-laws who can help with the kids here. So still trying to figure out what to do.

Either way I still have time, I'll be taking the MCAT in April and applying to UMDNJ in Newark as well as the DO (which I would much prefer)in south jersey. I'll also be applying to other tri-state area schools.

Commuting from Newark is not going to work... I can tell you that right off the bat

hey guys

i called SOM today and they said in March we have a housing day where local apartment owners give students some discounts...so dont worry about housing

also one of my friends said he is planning on starting a housing bulletin board online to help us all...

take care..

Nono, Voorhees is next door, literally just over the tracks.

Hahaha, thats funny, commuting from Newark. I mean, I'm sure you could do it... but it's like driving with your feet. It ain't recommended. :)
I remember having hell trying to get into Newark from South Jersey.. man, that drive is a PAIN, with all the construction going on in Newark. If you really love public transportation though, you can take NJ transit from Newark to Trenton, then take Septa regional rail R7 to Philly, then take the Market Frankfort line to 8th & market. Then take Patco to the Lindenwold line and you can walk to SOM.
Alternatively, I think NJ transit stops at Lindenwold, but I dont know if it goes all the way up to Newark from there..
ok, must go back to writing my paper and stop procrastinating...

Ebete said:

Anyone else receive a partial scholarship offer? (or even a full scholarship offer?) Kind of sucks that they allow two weeks to make up my mind if I want it or not and if I accept I'm required to attend there.

bgreet said:
Anyone else receive a partial scholarship offer? (or even a full scholarship offer?) Kind of sucks that they allow two weeks to make up my mind if I want it or not and if I accept I'm required to attend there.

Ya. What a bummer. It's like when I won the lottery that one year... I had to make up my mind whether I wanted the money all up front or in installments... really sucked ;)

nvshelat said:
Ya. What a bummer. It's like when I won the lottery that one year... I had to make up my mind whether I wanted the money all up front or in installments... really sucked ;)

:laugh: Yea, okay looking back at the last post I made it sounded pretty arrogant. I just meant to say I wish it wasn't like "sign here on the dotted line right now or else all is forfeit" without hearing about this kind of stuff from any other schools yet, or giving time to think about it. Basically it's them saying "we want to know if you're going here in 2 weeks".

Hey, anybody know what kind of equipment we're gonna need? ie, stethescope, etc.? I figured I'd make some requests for xmas presents to lighten the load later. Happy Holidays everyone! :D

Jerseygrrl4 said:
Hey, anybody know what kind of equipment we're gonna need? ie, stethescope, etc.? I figured I'd make some requests for xmas presents to lighten the load later. Happy Holidays everyone! :D
hey
i too want to know...what we need. my sister is in medical school now and she def needed 2 things ie a stethescope and a otoscope(eye, ear etc..) As per the books, dont spend anything until you meet with students, because we pair up with a buddy who might just happen to give or sell their books to you at a great price!

You guys wouldn't happen to know how many ppl have already been accepted into this years incoming class, would you? I haven't gotten an interview invite yet, and as you can guess from my other posts, I'm getting a little anxious :(

bgreet said:
:laugh: Yea, okay looking back at the last post I made it sounded pretty arrogant. I just meant to say I wish it wasn't like "sign here on the dotted line right now or else all is forfeit" without hearing about this kind of stuff from any other schools yet, or giving time to think about it. Basically it's them saying "we want to know if you're going here in 2 weeks".

i'm curious. what happens if you accept the scholarship and make your deposit but then withdraw later because you get into another school or get a better offer? is accepting and then later declining a scholarship different from accepting and then later declining an offer of admission?

Do you have to do anything special to be considered for the scholarship? The comittee meets this Monday and will decide my fate, wish me luck guys :luck:

brodaiga said:
Do you have to do anything special to be considered for the scholarship? The comittee meets this Monday and will decide my fate, wish me luck guys :luck:

good luck!! i'm in there with you. so they call if it's good news, right?

UMDNJ is state sponsored? Cheap tuition, they offer scholarships, and the increase in stipend they were considering offering DO/PhD students is through the roof!

exlawgrrl said:
i'm curious. what happens if you accept the scholarship and make your deposit but then withdraw later because you get into another school or get a better offer? is accepting and then later declining a scholarship different from accepting and then later declining an offer of admission?

According to the conditions of the scholarship "The acceptance of this scholarship commits you to attend UMDNJ-SOM for the four years of medical school training. Should you transfer to another medical school or withdraw for any given reason, you will immediately become obligated for teh repayment of all scholarship funds received."

bgreet said:
According to the conditions of the scholarship "The acceptance of this scholarship commits you to attend UMDNJ-SOM for the four years of medical school training. Should you transfer to another medical school or withdraw for any given reason, you will immediately become obligated for teh repayment of all scholarship funds received."

wow, that is pretty harsh, but i think you're fine if you opt to attend another school right now because they haven't given you any funds yet. still, wow! i'm just wondering about this stuff because i accepted a scholarship at another school and don't want to be 100% committed to going to that school because i'm waiting to hear from other schools.

to answer the above questions regarding equipment, usually the second year class puts together a huge fundraiser for this stuff. there is a big discount by doing this and you get everything you will need at once. also, it's open to the first years who want to get in on it right away to have equipment for preceptorship but you won't definitely NEED it until second year (physical diagnosis class).

i do not have, nor will i be purchasing a sphygmomanometer.

if you really want something now that you can use in med school get a PDA with a bunch of med programs on it (ESPECIALLY A MEDICAL DICTIONARY, I like Stedman's - I CAN'T OVERESTIMATE HOW HELPFUL THIS IS).

happy holidays!

DOctorJay said:
to answer the above questions regarding equipment, usually the second year class puts together a huge fundraiser for this stuff. there is a big discount by doing this and you get everything you will need at once. also, it's open to the first years who want to get in on it right away to have equipment for preceptorship but you won't definitely NEED it until second year (physical diagnosis class).

i do not have, nor will i be purchasing a sphygmomanometer.

if you really want something now that you can use in med school get a PDA with a bunch of med programs on it (ESPECIALLY A MEDICAL DICTIONARY, I like Stedman's - I CAN'T OVERESTIMATE HOW HELPFUL THIS IS).

happy holidays!

haha, I was really hoping we couldnt have to get a sphygmo-whatever... Its funny you mentioned the PDA too cause I had some leftover credit at Best Buy so I just got one, mostly to use for GPS/navigation in my car. Any other good programs to put on it? thanks!

Jerseygrrl4 said:
haha, I was really hoping we couldnt have to get a sphygmo-whatever... Its funny you mentioned the PDA too cause I had some leftover credit at Best Buy so I just got one, mostly to use for GPS/navigation in my car. Any other good programs to put on it? thanks!
hey

i know a friend at SOM who has all the programs one needs to add to your PDA. I have the program with me (he sent it to me), send me a PM and I will send you a link so you can download it on your PDA....i will send it after jan 3rd since i am busy with exams and new years.

i just read a book the Dean of UMDNJ-SOM edited! Its a great book to read guys!

Happy Tuesday folks. hopefully we get some phone calls today. The transit strike cancelled my final exam today so I'm staying home to study and might workout.

ragda26 said:
hey

i know a friend at SOM who has all the programs one needs to add to your PDA. I have the program with me (he sent it to me), send me a PM and I will send you a link so you can download it on your PDA....i will send it after jan 3rd since i am busy with exams and new years.

i just read a book the Dean of UMDNJ-SOM edited! Its a great book to read guys!

yup it is a good book and will be required reading for one of your first classes here so that's one other thing you guys could get a jump on. it's short, a quick read, and will give you more background on osteopathic medicine past, present, and future.

-J

HunterGatherer said:
Happy Tuesday folks. hopefully we get some phone calls today. The transit strike cancelled my final exam today so I'm staying home to study and might workout.

yes, good luck everyone! nothing yet here, but if i get a call, i'll be posting as soon as possible. :)

just as I read your post Paula called me!!! Whoohoo!! Shambra and Paula are great. I had a 40 minute interview and started to worry because everyone was talking about 10 minute interviews. After getting into UMDNJ I will have to drop my UNECOM acceptance.

exlawgrrl said:
yay, just got the phone call from Paula. :D

HunterGatherer said:
just as I read your post Paula called me!!! Whoohoo!! Shambra and Paula are great. I had a 40 minute interview and started to worry because everyone was talking about 10 minute interviews. After getting into UMDNJ I will have to drop my UNECOM acceptance.

I got the call too guys, see you this fall! :D

Hey guys,

would those of you admitted to SOM mind posting your stats? Still waiting on an interview invite..

Congrats ExLawGrrl, HuntererGatherer, and Brodaiga!!!! :D

Are you all definitely planning on attending, where ya from? Undergrad? etc.... It feels like August keeps getting closer and closer so it'd be great to start feeling out what the class is gonna be like.... and Happy Holidays everyone.. stay warm :cool:

brodaiga said:
I got the call too guys, see you this fall! :D

It's not 100% yet. I expect to know the outcomes of all of my interviews by the end of february and then I'll make my choice. UMDNJ ranks at the top of any category I make for what I'm looking for in a med school.

Jerseygrrl4 said:
Congrats ExLawGrrl, HuntererGatherer, and Brodaiga!!!! :D

Are you all definitely planning on attending, where ya from? Undergrad? etc.... It feels like August keeps getting closer and closer so it'd be great to start feeling out what the class is gonna be like.... and Happy Holidays everyone.. stay warm :cool: