>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good furniture stores in the area.
I'll be moving in a couple of weeks, can't wait!

Members don't see this ad.

sweetlysung1606 said:
I can't believe we will be starting so soon! I think I'm going to be living in the Village...it's so expensive...does anyone know if it is worth it?

Yes and no. I spent my first year here in the Village. I think it may be a little overpriced for what it is, but then again, there are a lot of shady places in this area, and the Village is one of a few that don't make me nervous. I wanted to live alone, and I love having my own washer/dryer. That made the Village a good fit for me. Having said that, I am moving into a townhouse with two of my classmates this year, mainly as a financial move. You CAN live alone in the Village on financial aid, you just have to live modestly in other areas and plan accordingly. Your electric bills in the winter will be extremely high. As long as you plan wisely, living here is doable. As for whether or not it's worth it, that really depends on what matters to you. Your first year of med school will present you with plenty of challenges, you should make sure that your living situation is not an additional source of stress.

csox84 said:
Hi all
I was wondering if anyone knew of any good furniture stores in the area.
I'll be moving in a couple of weeks, can't wait!

there's some stores in the area and in philly. there's also an ikea in south philly less than 20 min away over the WWB.

Members don't see this ad :)
um... i still don't have a place to live!!! can anyone help me out???

flick2010 said:
um... i still don't have a place to live!!! can anyone help me out???

what r u looking 2 pay? i can give u opinions on the village, echelon glen, and kingsrow since i checked them out this past weekend. i totally feel ya. i'm trying 2 get a 1 bdrm at echelon glen but they stipulate that u have 2 make 35x the rent, which in my case would be 32k and i was only awarded 30k from finaid. i called finaid 2 increase this 2 the max (42k) but they won't send another letter til school starts and echelon glen won't accept the 30k award letter until then since its below the 35x the rent thing.

(edited) if u're in this situation u can get an 'approved student budget' letter which states that the cost of educ is estimated at 42,954 which includes 1000/mo for room and board. u have to tell the finaid office to whom/where to mail the letter - they can't fax it and if u decide 2 live elsewhere and need another letter, u have 2 ask 4 another 1 with the new contact/address info

what's important 2 u in finding a place? price, distance 2 school, safety, etc?

safety, landlord attentiveness, distance, price. in that order.

hello everyone,

so i've been incessantly reading these posts and have decided finally to introduce myself. i graduated in 2005 and can't wait to get back to school. :)

i like flick and sweetlysung also need help on the apt aspect. i really don't know the area and need to get on doing the research and apartment hunting. from the gist of the posts, it seems like a good majority of students live in village, echelon glen.

geez i can't believe school is to start so soon. wow!?!? does anyone realize that we'll all see each other in a month?

did anyone decide to do pbl?

KalicoKat said:
hello everyone,

so i've been incessantly reading these posts and have decided finally to introduce myself. i graduated in 2005 and can't wait to get back to school. :)

i like flick and sweetlysung also need help on the apt aspect. i really don't know the area and need to get on doing the research and apartment hunting. from the gist of the posts, it seems like a good majority of students live in village, echelon glen.

geez i can't believe school is to start so soon. wow!?!? does anyone realize that we'll all see each other in a month?

did anyone decide to do pbl?

hi kalicokat, any help i can give u and anyone with the apt thing, i will. i live in the area in cherry hill and went 2 HS here. i'm trying 2 get a 1 bdrm at echelon glen but having trouble with my finaid letter (ur award has 2 b 35x the rent and mine is slightly below that and they won't accept it). i called up the admissions office but all the upperclassmen (except 1 dude in haddonfield farther away) r looking 4 roomies w/o pets (i have 2 cats). i wanted 2 do pbl but got bummed b/c i can't apply 4 personal reasons. they r basically only going 2 take 6 students, 8 at max is what i heard...and i know that they started interviews already.

flick2010 said:
safety, landlord attentiveness, distance, price. in that order.

4 safety: in general voorhees is nice and safe, marlton and haddonfield r as well but much farther away; i think 4 the other areas (stratford, lindenwold, clementon, blackwood, pine hills), it sort of depends on the apt and ur safety comfort zone. cherry hill is a longer drive and east side is safer than west (but i might b biased since i went 2 CH HS east and not west)

landlord attentiveness sort of dep on the place as well and some of the upperclassmen can prob comment better than me. i was told by some of them (kevbot, nate, and DOctorjay) that where they live (echelon glen), they fix things pretty much right away and they didn't raise the rent 4 them as much as the reg ppl since they knew they were students and i know they're all staying 4 2nd yr (i think) so they seem happy with it. but echelon glen (and the village and kingsrow) r run by mgmt co's so they're less likely 2 bend the rules than ur friendly neighborhood landlord. if u mean by attentiveness, fixing things, then i guess they're ok. the village and echelon glen r next 2 each other and a 5 min drive w/o traffic. kingsrow is in the other direction but about a 3 min drive w/o traffic but they have a funny layout i didn't like. u go upstairs into ur living room and the square footage was smaller. the rooms at the village were smaller and more expensive but u can move in with just 1 month's rent, no security dep, and some incidental township fee ($45, which is $46 at echelon glen 4 some reason). the village waives ur ap fee ($45) as a umdnj student. echelon glen gives u 1 month rent off with ur accept letter or a current deal going on if that is better than the umdnj rate (they don't waive the ap fee, $40 and u need 35x the market rent (rent w/o discounts) in ur award letter, $200 sec dep if u have good credit (full market rent for 1 month if u have pets), $100 reserve fee that goes 2ward ur 1st rent, and a 2nd month's rent if u move in after the 10th, and proof of renter's insurance by move-in). the places in voorhees (village, echelon glen) r more expensive (about $800-900/1 bdrm and $900-1000/2 bdrm) but i like the safety factor and the fact that there's a small community of umdnj'ers living there 2 hang out, study with and get support from if sth bad goes down, i won't feel so isolated. i think that 2-3 brdms at echelon glen and 2 bdrms at the village r not so bad b/c when u make the split with roomies, its more affordable. the 1 bdrms require more budgeting. i know that brodaiga is going 2 b at lakeview in blackwood so u can ask him about there and there's someone at the landings but i can't remember whom. alot of ppl used 2 live at stonington in lindenwold (near kingsrow) but i've heard that they got new management that just blows and they also let just about anyone in these days so u might have some noisy neighbors. i'm going 2 check out chalet gardens so i don't have anything 2 say about that yet. i can't give any opinions on brookview, woodmere, bishop/stratford court or the heathers b/c i'm not planning 2 look at places that require me 2 declaw my cats. hope this helps. if there's a certain place u're interested in, pm me and i'll c if i can swing by.

thank for your reply. my problem is that i'll read all this great stuff about a particular apartment complex, but then i'll read reviews online such as "stay away from this place." i don't know what to think. i'm going to do a little research tomorrow while i'm on EMS duty. if any upper classmen have any comments on where they live now, let me know!

Ralph B.
Villanova University '05
http://www.myspace.com/rbflick120
http://groups.myspace.com/umdnjsom2010

flick2010 said:
thank for your reply. my problem is that i'll read all this great stuff about a particular apartment complex, but then i'll read reviews online such as "stay away from this place." i don't know what to think. i'm going to do a little research tomorrow while i'm on EMS duty. if any upper classmen have any comments on where they live now, let me know!

Ralph B.
Villanova University '05
http://www.myspace.com/rbflick120
http://groups.myspace.com/umdnjsom2010

u gotta b careful about reading stuff on sites like www.apartmentratings.com (esp when they r positive ratings) cuz even the leasing consultant at the village admitted that they go on there and write good stuff about the village and bad stuff about their competitors. take it with a grain of salt. if u have the time, i'd suggest coming down here from the cliffs (maybe on a weekend) 2 check it out once u've narrowed down choices from ppl's advice (4 OOS ppl, i guess this is harder or doesn't apply)...but only u'll know what u'd b happy with. eg, some ppl might b more comfortable in places that i wouldn't b in and vice versa so someone's advice is from their POV. maybe we can all plan on meeting b4 school starts (cuz i know that getting off the WL, i missed out on meeting peeps at accepted students day). and i think that the upperclassmen r a great source of advice, esp on apts, since they've been around the block so 2 speak in terms of living in the apts we're all interested in

any pre-matric ppl or upperclassmen with advice on books 2 def get? not that i plan on studying them :) but while i'm still earning some bling, i'd like 2 c what i can get online 4 cheaper b4 i become totally jobless, penniless, and a poor student again in july. the recommended books list for 2006 is outdated cuz 4 example, i have the 2nd ed of lippincott's biochem they recommend (and i got that in college and being non-trad, i b old so that book ain't new), and i know that there's a newer 3rd ed out there now. and mathews on that list 4 biochem blows chunks so i would def recommend NOT 2 get that - my grad school used it and i didn't think it was worth the paper it was printed on so i got by with my old versions of stryer and lehninger from college and did ok. i don't wanna buy books, waste moolah and leave them 4ever in their shrink wrap if u knows what i mean. so if i can get by with my college stuff (although some subjects like cell bio esp signal transduction stuff, mol bio, genetics, immuno have added alot of info since then) and buying some review/board books that'd b great, unless someone has some def recommends while i gotz some dough...hint hint

Does Echelon Glen have elevators or just stairs? If no elevators, do any of the apartment complexes have elevators? I like to take stairs but was reminded today of how helpful an elevator is for moving heavy things.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
OMMFan said:
Does Echelon Glen have elevators or just stairs? If no elevators, do any of the apartment complexes have elevators? I like to take stairs but was reminded today of how helpful an elevator is for moving heavy things.

Thanks!

does any of the upperclassmates know if there is an advantage in learning from pbl? i took science classes that were pbl and some of them i learned a ton more and others no. personally, i think it depended on the professor and the students with whom i was discussing.

i wonder if i should get a roommate? i understand that the first year is rough so there are pros to being alone but on the other hand it would get lonely.

KalicoKat said:
does any of the upperclassmates know if there is an advantage in learning from pbl? i took science classes that were pbl and some of them i learned a ton more and others no. personally, i think it depended on the professor and the students with whom i was discussing.

i wonder if i should get a roommate? i understand that the first year is rough so there are pros to being alone but on the other hand it would get lonely.

sorry i didn't c that part of about asking the upperclassmen, so i deleted my post about pbl but good luck finding a roommate if that's what u decide

the alchemist said:
sorry i didn't c that part of about asking the upperclassmen, so i deleted my post about pbl but good luck finding a roommate if that's what u decide

alchemist, what have you heard anything about pbl?

i'm finally finishing up my medical exams today. i've been super (actually rather excessively) procrastinating on them. however it's pretty difficult to see the doctor when everything is closed once you get out of work. in any case, they'll be done soon enough.

KalicoKat said:

i'm finally finishing up my medical exams today. i've been super (actually rather excessively) procrastinating on them. however it's pretty difficult to see the doctor when everything is closed once you get out of work. in any case, they'll be done soon enough.

i totally feelya about the difficulty with getting the physical done. i work at a med school affiliated with a hospital so my boss is understanding and its close 4 me 2 get the med stuff done. i have 2 do my 2nd ppd 2day and then i'm done. got the blood titers already (got varicella/chicken pox the old way but got the Abs so that's all the counts). but i totally understand having difficulty doing things after work.

i know that pbl interviews started. they r planning 2 choose 6 ppl, 8 at max. basically the class sets up their schedule usually and meet about twice a week 4 a couple of hours each time 2 go over cases and discuss what students researched and found out. its more student driven that the traditional curric. they r flexible with the schedule and can have more/less and shorter/longer classes. they don't have as many tests like the regular curriculum. they do lots of presentations and a professor acts as facilitator but there is alot of discussion. they get alot of early clinical experience. they score similarly 2 the reg students on boards. although last class was a fluke cuz they had those 3 supergenius teenagers we saw in the video on interview day (they got 99%iles on usmle and comlex from what i heard) - i think they would've done just as well in any type of curriculum. u can either email dr stein, the director of pblc and i am sure he would answer questions more specifically and with more knowledge.

thanks so much for the info.

with the physicals, the most annoying part was the 2 pdds that we needed. i can understand one. but the second one? even my doc agrees one should suffice.

is anyone able to access the email through the umdnj portal?

does anyone know if it's going to be a problem that my health records won't be in by July 1?

KalicoKat said:

I'm not alchemist but I applied to the PBLC. If you haven't yet applied, I would call the PBLC program to let them know you'll be submitting an app ASAP. And if you have applied/interviewed, good luck! Maybe we'll see each other in small group. :)

KalicoKat said:
is anyone able to access the email through the umdnj portal?

Yes, I can. If you aren't able to access e-mail w/your umdnj portal password you may need to reset your password entirely and then try again to log in. Worked for me after no success w/my portal pw.

flick2010 said:
does anyone know if it's going to be a problem that my health records won't be in by July 1?

I'd guess it's fine. It might be good to communicate that you're working on it.
I won't get my Ab results 'til Friday, so I plan to call health svcs to let them know I'm putting my physical exam records in the mail then.

Thanks a bunch for the response OMM. :)

Yeh my medical forms are going to be in right under the wire. I think I'll call the health department just to give them a heads up on when to expect things.

KalicoKat said:
thanks so much for the info.

with the physicals, the most annoying part was the 2 pdds that we needed. i can understand one. but the second one? even my doc agrees one should suffice.

if u haven't had a recent ppd (say like a year ago), u have 2 do the 2-step ppd b/c the 1st test may b a false negative. some ppl who've had TB years ago (or even a recent infection) may have an attenuated or delayed response 2 the 1st ppd and come out negative. so the 1st ppd acts as a booster 2 stimulate the immune system 2 react 2 the tuberculin on the 2nd ppd if indeed u truly r a "delayed or attenuated" positive. hope this explains it better.

the alchemist said:
if u haven't had a recent ppd (say like a year ago), u have 2 do the 2-step ppd b/c the 1st test may b a false negative. some ppl who've had TB years ago (or even a recent infection) may have an attenuated or delayed response 2 the 1st ppd and come out negative. so the 1st ppd acts as a booster 2 stimulate the immune system 2 react 2 the tuberculin on the 2nd ppd if indeed u truly r a "delayed or attenuated" positive. hope this explains it better.

wow that's really interesting. makes much more sense, thanks. yeh, the last ppd that i had was in winter of 2004...so not so recent i guess.

i'm going to call the technical people tomorrow to ask about a password reset.

another question: so my current laptop = really old. i got it in 2001. so needless to say, i'm shopping around for a new laptop b/c my old run is not capable of running xp or any normal program and is just really old. what is everyone doing? are you going through the dell program. i love dells so am either going through this program or buying on my own.

i think i saw that nate mentioned about pdas. these are necessary? i'm not too read up about them and not sure where to start in the market (from what's a good one, what do i need, how much to spend...) do most students have pdas?

KalicoKat said:

another question: so my current laptop = really old. i got it in 2001. so needless to say, i'm shopping around for a new laptop b/c my old run is not capable of running xp or any normal program and is just really old. what is everyone doing? are you going through the dell program. i love dells so am either going through this program or buying on my own.

i think i saw that nate mentioned about pdas. these are necessary? i'm not too read up about them and not sure where to start in the market (from what's a good one, what do i need, how much to spend...) do most students have pdas?

i got an email with a link 2 myumdnj web portal (or banweb or whatever it is called). i instinctively typed in my usual password (w/o knowing that it would work or thinking) and it did work and then was led 2 a link that asked me 2 choose a new password. i know someone else called the tech office and they reset the pwd so she can use hers now. they sent a couple of administrative emails already, one about parking handtags but the transportation office told me that incoming first years can get parking tags when we get our picture ids during o-week when i called about it. i wasn't going 2 get a pda until i really need it (prob 3rd year 4 rotations). un4tunate 4 me i got a mac laptop last year (always been a pc person but a long story) so i'll just have 2 run bootcamp if i need 2 use xp. i used 2 have a dell but the hard drive fried 3 times - thank god i had the warranty and they have good service. ibm's r pretty good and give an educational discount i think.

KalicoKat said:

From my.umdnj: "Use the My Account link (under the UMDNJ logo on the Welcome Tab) or the Forgot Password feature (on the login page) to implement a reset."

I went through My Account and it worked like a charm.

KalicoKat said:

i wouldn't worry about getting a pda. you definitely don't need it now. most students in first and second year do not have them. personally i feel it makes more sense to get one at the start of clinical rotations.

KalicoKat said:

pbl has its pros and cons. the upside of pbl is tht there is much less class time and you can learn at your own pace. there is also much merit to case based learning. there is an opportunity to learn cases in a multidisciplinary format covering many areas and subjects. some of the disadvantages however of pbl are that you don't get the same social environment of the regular curriculum, and you also are not under the same pressure to keep up as the testing is different, you don't have regular tests and quizzes which basically force you to study and keep up. instead pbl students learn and maintain their own pace but are responsible for knowing an equal amount at the end of sections. so i would agree, its completely an individual thing, based on an individuals learning preferences.

as for roommates, i live with 2 other fellow classmates in a three bedroom apt at echelon glen. having roommates is pretty nice, i think we pay amongst the least in rent and all of our utilities are split 3 ways. plus, its nice to have people to study with or have a social outlet.

if you're still looking for a room mate, and can't find somebody on the forum, feel free to call up the admissions office, they're keeping lists of people seeking roommates.

I was under the impression SOM has a Honors/Pass/Fail grading system. In browsing the student handbook I notice that the grading system is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Low Pass/Fail. Is that correct?

I'm encountering a few bumps in the long-distance apt hunt (thanks a MILLION to alchemist for sharing her experiences w/me), so of course I figured reading the student handbook would be better than thinking about apt options when all the mgmt offices are closed for the night. :laugh:

Speaking of the apt search, do any students live in apts that are not in Echelon Glen-style communities? Here in Oak-town there are many independently owned and managed freestanding apt bldgs each w/20-50 units (some are nice, others are sketch-to-the-max). Is this true of the Stratford area?

OMMFan said:

Thanks!

Sorry, no elevators to speak of. You could follow in our footsteps and live on the first floor. Or you could get your classmates to do all the lifting for you. I'll volunteer our esteemed class president since he likes to volunteer me for things. :D

Thanks for offering the moving services of your class president, Kevbot! ;) I will definitely live on the first floor. I'm looking for a 2-bdrm which limits my prospects somewhat. If anyone hears of a decent first floor 2-bdrm please let me know!

I might also settle for a 1-bdrm short term lease and then move when my bf arrives in December, but I hate to spend a chunk of winter break packing and moving.

Yep the grading system is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Low Pass/Fail. In general though board exams mean more than mcats and grades mean less than gpa because medical schools scoring systems tend to vary significantly. I went with a single room, but figure if i find a friend that wants to I can always move in somewhere nicer with him/her my second year. From what I have heard Stratford is a small safe area. Its nothing like living in philly. I can tell you Brookview Manor is 1 mile from the school and gave a pretty good price. Its not as nice as the cherry hill or vorhees places of course, but it was 730ish/ month for a single. The thing is hot water, heat, and the stove are all gas and don't count toward the eletric bill. So all you have is gas, internet, cable and your cell phone. Out of curiosity anyone else staying there?

Scorcher31 said:
Yep the grading system is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Low Pass/Fail.

Very interesting grading scale. But does anyone ever actually FAIL?

Scorcher31 said:
Yep the grading system is Honors/High Pass/Pass/Low Pass/Fail. In general though board exams mean more than mcats and grades mean less than gpa because medical schools scoring systems tend to vary significantly.

u mean mcat scores and college gpas come back? 2 whom? my mcat score is fine but i don't want my college gpa 2 come back and haunt me when i try 2 match - i was hoping everything from now on would b a clean slate and would all b on me w/o my craptastic college grades following me around 4ever. i didn't think anyone would look at mcat scores again either, not that it matters. how do we get a gpa if we r basically HH/H/P/LP/F? unless that converts 2 A/B/C/D/F? what do schools with only honors and P/F do?

No no sorry I probably should of made that more clear :) College gpas and mcats don't come back into the picture. What I meant was for getting residencies as opposed to getting into medschool. For residencies, our next real step, board exam scores carry more weight along with experience and our medschool grades carry less weight. I was trying to say boards mean more for residencies than mcat did to get into medschool and that medschool grades mean less for residencies than our gpas did getting into medschool. What I was trying to say is each medschool uses a different grading system. Some are just pass fail. Some have honors, high honors, etc and each school uses different cut off ranges. To be honest I don't know if there is a real medschool gpa. I do know that long as you aren't failing the grades don't mean all that much though. Hope that helps clear up what I said.

Scorcher31 said:
No no sorry I probably should of made that more clear :) College gpas and mcats don't come back into the picture. What I meant was for getting residencies as opposed to getting into medschool. For residencies, our next real step, board exam scores carry more weight along with experience and our medschool grades carry less weight. I was trying to say boards mean more for residencies than mcat did to get into medschool and that medschool grades mean less for residencies than our gpas did getting into medschool. What I was trying to say is each medschool uses a different grading system. Some are just pass fail. Some have honors, high honors, etc and each school uses different cut off ranges. To be honest I don't know if there is a real medschool gpa. I do know that long as you aren't failing the grades don't mean all that much though. Hope that helps clear up what I said.

thx scorcher. that does clear it up. i had nightmares of my gpa chasing me til death do us part sorta thing at first. yeah, i've heard the same, 2 get residencies certain things count more than ur grades - board scores r at the top. i dunno as much 4 DO but 4 MD ortho (since i had an interest b4), u also pretty much need 2 b AOA (honor society), have stellar recs, and sometimes research. dunno if its the same 4 DO since sigma sigma phi isn't really considered all that much of an achievement in DO circles as AOA is in MD ones. plus, i know someone who didn't do stellar in grades (mostly passes at an MD school), almost failed biochem, but got over 95%iles on step I and II, did awesome in clinicals and got great recs, and got into harvard 4 her MD residency (and harvard was like 6th best program in her specialty). so i guess u're on spot there

Honestly I can't say if people fail, but I know that some schools if you low pass or fail will let you retake the course or get special tutoring. When you eventually pass it the low pass/fail disappears and all it shows is that you passed. I don't know what UMDNJ-SOM's policy is on though. Umdnj-som has one of the highest average mcats scores and gpas though and only about 100 seats, which indicates to me that they hand picked a lot of their students because they had faith in them. So in all honesty I doubt that people fail if they work at the class. I'm sure if there were any circumstances that caused you to do poorly such as family problems, pregnancy, etc, they would meet with you about them.

Is the student handbook online?

It does seem like the SOM grading system is similar to the traditional grading system of a's b's c's....

So, I just called the technical office. I have to go through this crazy reset process in order to be able to access my acct but hopefully I will soon enough. I couldn't reset my password b/c I never technically even logged in initially. SO yeh it stinks. Thanks for the info on the pda, yeh I'm not going to get one if it's not necessary. Sooo I think I'll pass on that one.

KalicoKat said:
Is the student handbook online?

It does seem like the SOM grading system is similar to the traditional grading system of a's b's c's....

So, I just called the technical office. I have to go through this crazy reset process in order to be able to access my acct but hopefully I will soon enough. I couldn't reset my password b/c I never technically even logged in initially. SO yeh it stinks. Thanks for the info on the pda, yeh I'm not going to get one if it's not necessary. Sooo I think I'll pass on that one.

on the som website: som education > academic prgms > UG med educ > UMDNJ-SOM Education Handbook. it downloads as a pdf. its 4 years 2004-2006. guess they'll need 2 revise a new one 4 this year but it still has alot of good info in there.

How did everyone get an account password (portal)? I have my UIN for my login, but I cant reset because i never logged in yet. I called the office and they said we would be getting them in the mail. For some reason it seems like everyone has them already though. Is there a way admissions can just tell me my password?

Scorcher31 said:
How did everyone get an account password (portal)? I have my UIN for my login, but I cant reset because i never logged in yet. I called the office and they said we would be getting them in the mail. For some reason it seems like everyone has them already though. Is there a way admissions can just tell me my password?

actually i never received a letter in the mail. i got an email. but call the tech ppl and ask 2 reset ur pwd

yeh scorcher it seems like your in the same sort of predicament as me. unfortunately you have to call the technical people and give them your info.

thanks for the info re: handbook.

i am getting sooo excited for school. although i still need to get an apartment, move in and buy a computer. :rolleyes: but we have time still....

Hi Everyone!! I'm Danielle and I'm another member of the Class of 2010! First of all, I just want to say that I hope I'm doing this right... I have no idea if this post will end up in the right place but I'm hoping for the best!!

I'm a native Jerseygirl from the Shore (therefore greatly upset about the current weather situation) and I just graduated from The College of New Jersey this May. I've experienced all of the email/my.UMDNJ/account issues that I've read about above and I agree with the advice to just call the tech people-they're pretty cool and willing to help us all out. However, I still can't access my email so that will be next on the list of things to do... after I find a place to live which brings me to my purpose for registering with studentdoctor.net...

Does anyone still need a roommate? I'm desperate to not pay for a single and I'm pretty flexible... except I really really don't want to live with a smoker... anything else can be figured out later...

ok, so here's the deal with the grading system. yes, its honors/high pass/pass/low pass. but that means its not really pass/fail. its essentially like, a,b,c etc.

does everyone get honors, no. there are people that low pass or even fail a class. it happens, the schedule can be demanding, and people have all kinds of vaious personal situations and influences. there are however opportunities to remediate, (take another exam to move a grade up to low pass) and the policies regarding failing classes are detailed in the student handbook.

but don't worry, im not trying to scare you at all. though you have to work hard, its very possible to do well and maintain good grades. so just stay consistent, and you'll be more than fine.

the grades are not competitive, as in there's no curve, there's no set number of people that can get honors, or have to only get a pass or low pass. its all based on what you earn. its nice, so you're not competing with your classmates for grades. this creates a nice environment, people are always willing to help each other here and share notes and materials.

For anyone else who was wondering how to get into their umdnj portal the username is your last name followed by the first letter of your first name and your middle initial. For example if your name was john anthony smith it would be smithja. Your password is umd(4 digit year you were born)(2 digit date you were born). Now for the question. Does anyone know what the default email password is? I tried the default password for portal and it diddnt work. I also tried the new password that i changed the portal one too and that diddnt work either. So does anyone know the system for email passwords or don't we have them yet?

Scorcher31 said:
For anyone else who was wondering how to get into their umdnj portal the username is your last name followed by the first letter of your first name and your middle initial. For example if your name was john anthony smith it would be smithja. Your password is umd(4 digit year you were born)(2 digit date you were born). Now for the question. Does anyone know what the default email password is? I tried the default password for portal and it diddnt work. I also tried the new password that i changed the portal one too and that diddnt work either. So does anyone know the system for email passwords or don't we have them yet?

I have never used any default pw for the portal. I followed the initial instructions to set up the my.umdnj account and set my own pw. That pw worked for the portal but didn't work when I tried to access e-mail. Tech Svcs had me completely reset my pw, at which point I was able to access both the portal and e-mail. Once everything is properly set up, you will have a single pw for e-mail, the portal, and other UMDNJ svc that require a pw.

OMMFan said:
I have never used any default pw for the portal. I followed the initial instructions to set up the my.umdnj account and set my own pw. That pw worked for the portal but didn't work when I tried to access e-mail. Tech Svcs had me completely reset my pw, at which point I was able to access both the portal and e-mail. Once everything is properly set up, you will have a single pw for e-mail, the portal, and other UMDNJ svc that require a pw.

OMM when you reset, was that where you had to fax a pic id and other sorts of info? That's what I just had to do...