>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
two more things. first, i'm heading back down tomorrow morning 7/24 to finalize some stuff over at echelon. lunch anyone? also, anyone know where i can get info about the MPH/DO program?

Members don't see this ad.

flick2010 said:
oh, just wanted to throw it out there, if anyone's interested in dinner at my place one day in the upcoming month, let me know. i love to cook.

I'll take u up on that Ralph, If it's anything like Bensi's food I'll be very happy! ;) ps.. Brian said u guys are opening up a place in cherry hill, is that true?

ready to pivot said:
yeah, we went to go look at it (echelon), but it was on the ground floor and facing the parking lot. wasn't so nice so we looked all day and the landings was a pretty good deal, but it seems like people think it might be sketchy. i don't know we're probably gonna just suck it up and live there.

yeah, i'm on the ground floor as well but facing the lake (a sludgy part of it) and very far from the parking lot. there's some other students at the landings who already moved in, maybe they can give u more feedback about what its like living there.

Members don't see this ad :)
flick2010 said:
two more things. first, i'm heading back down tomorrow morning 7/24 to finalize some stuff over at echelon. lunch anyone? also, anyone know where i can get info about the MPH/DO program?

there's a presentation on the dual degree programs during o-week (check the orientation schedule 4 thurs 8/3 at 10:45 am).

u can also email paula watkins at [email protected] and ask who the appropriate contact person is 4 the DO/MPH program - that's how i got in touch with dr hock about the DO/PhD program - apparently, they didn't accept anyone yet 4 the DO/PhD so there's 2 spots open (and there's at least 3 of us vying 4 it at the moment) but they're restructuring so ppl can apply 4 the DO/PhD program up until jan 1 of year 2. dunno about the DO/MPH program though. ask paula, she'll hook u up with the appropriate person i bet.

oh, just in case anyone is interested and didn't rsvp yet, there's a finaid 101 presentation on fri, 7/28th at noon (academic center rm 276) and the last day 2 rsvp is mon 7/24th to josue velez at [email protected] or call 856-566-6008 and seats r limited.

Yo, are any of you guys who are living at echelon glen living off of bibbs road?

the alchemist said:
oh, just in case anyone is interested and didn't rsvp yet, there's a finaid 101 presentation on fri, 7/28th at noon (academic center rm 276) and the last day 2 rsvp is mon 7/24th to josue velez at [email protected] or call 856-566-6008 and seats r limited.

Hey Alchemist,
any idea what this finaid presentation is about and how long it is? Is it worth going to? Ready to Pivot and I are still looking for apartments. The Landings is screwing us over. Apparently the apartment we put our deposit down for was already rented and the only unit left for our time frame is a real ****hole. So I dont know if I will have time to go to the finaid thing.

the alchemist said:
yeah, i'm on the ground floor as well but facing the lake (a sludgy part of it) and very far from the parking lot. there's some other students at the landings who already moved in, maybe they can give u more feedback about what its like living there.

man. haven't checked out sdn since i was a bored research assistant last summer. now i'm a bored soon to be 2nd year and i figured i'd check in on the young'ns (though i'm sure many are older than me!).

Wanted to throw my two cents in (because i'm definitely WAY cooler than all the other boys posting here. who are also bored, i presume). I lived at the landings last year and it was great. I had a 1br and they are huge - and for the same price as the village at voorhees or echelon, you get much more for your money. Yes, there are some *interesting* people living there but i am a little girl living on my own, coming home from the library at midnight many a night and I was never scared. Never had mice or cockroaches (though I did have a run-in with a particularly large spider in my shower...still makes me shiver.) and any problems i did have, they fixed right away. It is really no farther away from school when you consider that all the suckers in echelon are going to get caught in traffic waiting to come over rt 30 every day and you can just breeze on by. I would still be living there right now if I didn't decide to move to philly.

i should post a survey on how many of you are working in a lab or office where you have nothing to do but neurotically check SDN... that was def me last year. Don't worry - you guys are wayyyy to anxious. you'll transition smoothly. Word of advice: don't cling to your parents on white coat ceremony day. Story: I was one of the first to get there (sans parents) and I was so scared that no one would want to be my friend because everyone was huddling with their families. I went outside, got a pep talk from a home friend on the phone, came back inside, broke the barrier with the first also nervous girl i saw and all was good. Lesson: Be social.

Now i'm even bored of typing. see ya all in a week. peace.

ready to pivot said:
yeah, we went to go look at it (echelon), but it was on the ground floor and facing the parking lot. wasn't so nice so we looked all day and the landings was a pretty good deal, but it seems like people think it might be sketchy. i don't know we're probably gonna just suck it up and live there.

I've been in the Landings since the end of June and I have not had any problems. It's been really quiet. I don't think you will have a problem here.

wildsimmer said:
Hey Alchemist,
any idea what this finaid presentation is about and how long it is? Is it worth going to? Ready to Pivot and I are still looking for apartments. The Landings is screwing us over. Apparently the apartment we put our deposit down for was already rented and the only unit left for our time frame is a real ****hole. So I dont know if I will have time to go to the finaid thing.

dunno about whether the finaid 101 thing is worth it or not but i rsvp'ed right away in case i wanted 2 go since seats were 'limited.' i was mostly interested in the budget and loan info. i had the finaid office change my lender from the default medloans thru sallie mae 2 t.h.e. a while ago and i heard that the deadline might have passed on last fri 2 change loan lenders 4 those who were possibly interested in not using medloans, but not sure (i didn't hear this myself, someone else told me). i'm prob going 2 the finaid 101 thing, at least out of curiosity and it lets me go into work late on my last day :)

i can always take notes and fill u in on the finaid 101 thing later (or give u a copy of my notes and i'm the type who tends 2 write everything down) if u need 2 apt search at that time. sorry 2 hear that the landings screwed u over, that totally sux. seems that in addition 2 non-students, quite a few ppl have gotten off the WL recently and there seems 2 b an apt scramble going on. maybe u guys could take a shorter lease (3-6 months) somewhere (maybe that 2 BR at echelon glen even though u didn't like the location?) and then move somewhere u like better after?? u might have more flexibility and choices that way.

it (finaid 101 flyer) says learn how:
- 2 understand ur budget
- 2 survive on ur budget
- 2 understand ur loan portfolio
- 2 keep ur debt level down
- 2 understand ur credit
- 2 fix ur credit.

Cutiepi27 said:
I would still be living there right now if I didn't decide to move to philly.

Another plus to the landings is that there are no crazed, car-key stealing shopkeepers. :D

Just wanted to remind people not to forget about lakeview apts. They just lowered their rent for me. The units are bigger thant the landings, there is an onsite deli, and the place just rocks...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to agree with brodaiga-I just moved into Lakeview and it's great! Same square feet as Landings, onsite deli,way cheaper than most of the other places and first month free. Overall great deal! Can't wait to see everyone at White Coat!

brodaiga said:
Just wanted to remind people not to forget about lakeview apts. They just lowered their rent for me. The units are bigger thant the landings, there is an onsite deli, and the place just rocks...

Hey brodaiga-
I was going to send you a reply but it says you can't receive anymore messages b/c you've reached your stored messages quota.

brodaiga said:

DSTMD2BE said:
Hey brodaiga-
I was going to send you a reply but it says you can't receive anymore messages b/c you've reached your stored messages quota.
problem fixed

wow... okay, after much aggravation at echelon this afternoon, i signed a lease for an apartment off of bibbs road. i think stud doc was asking if anyone was living there. here's the problem: my move in date isn't until August 4th. soooo... i was wondering if anyone would be willing to lend me a floor to sleep on for a couple of nights. i'd be willing to pay, cook, sing and dance in exchange. :) otherwise, i might stay in a hotel.

hey flick, stud d, kevbot and i live in echelon glen off bibbs road. let us know if you're really in a jam, we might be ableto help you out.

hey ralph,

i'm not in echelon, but i'm right by there at The Village. If ya need, i've got an extra aeromattress (that thing rules) and/or a fine floor. I only ask that you attempt my taxes, which are now, painfully late.

-usman

flick,

yo man, if you can pay off my credit card debt we'll throw in an air mattress if you need a place. jk no prob man, you just have to put up with kevbot. he like to walk around in ladies underwear.

from what i can tell, orientation is july 31 - august 4 (which is when my lease starts). maybe i can spend two nights with two different people? i don't want to be a burden. by the way, where can i find the orientation schedule and when do we get our big brothers/sisters?

Flick you're also welcome to stay with me after my parents leave. So anytime between August 1-4th. I'm right by the university. I'm the type of person that will be going to all the parties and orientation activities though, so it depends how you feel about that stuff. I've had a very long and boring summer, so I want to keep myself busy now. I'm pretty sure the big brother/big sister thing we find out during orientation. As for our orientation schedule, we already got it awhile ago with the book list. I haven't seen it online, but maybe someone can scan you it. If not, I’m sure a bunch of us will go out after the white coat ceremony (hopefully). You can always photocopy it then.

Hey Ralph-

We met at the orientation (sat at the same table). I have a 2 bedroom at the willow ridge village apts. I have a bedroom open if you're interested in staying for a few nights or even living there. I'll have a bed in the spare room for the time being. Let me know...

-Brett

you're welcome to crash in our 2nd room at timber ridge from any time starting august 2nd (mom'll be there before that).

downsides = i don't know how unpacked i'll be by then; i don't have a couch or extra bed, so you might need to borrow an air mattress (and the room'll prob have a treadmill, bookshelf, and desk in it...i guess the living room might have more room, but less privacy); i'm old, so you might prefer to stay w/someone younger!

but again, you're welcome to use it as a crash zone. i'm in a similar situation where my stuff arrived in NJ before my apt was ready, so i'm grateful to be staying w/a friend in VA 'til tomorrow.

flick2010 said:
from what i can tell, orientation is july 31 - august 4 (which is when my lease starts). maybe i can spend two nights with two different people? i don't want to be a burden. by the way, where can i find the orientation schedule and when do we get our big brothers/sisters?

didn't u get a big packet in the mail with an finaid 101 flyer, updated book list, course descriptions, and orientation schedule? if not, i'd call jenn in the admission office 2 get that packet b/c it has lots of important stuff.

glad u're not homeless now...and u got alot of offers 4 places 2 crash (someone's quite popular). i'd offer 2 but somehow i don't think the parentals would like a dude in the house (plus the extra room is taken up by my elliptical, my bro's computer, and a stinky cat litterbox) ;) .

Stud Doc D said:
flick,

yo man, if you can pay off my credit card debt we'll throw in an air mattress if you need a place. jk no prob man, you just have to put up with kevbot. he like to walk around in ladies underwear.

its very classy underwear though, no worries.

Are there places near campus that offer free wireless internet access? I won't have internet access at home for a while and would like to have reliable access until then.

I haven't bought a new laptop yet (am considering an HP Compaq tablet PC -- I want something super-light) but still have my old trusty iBook that I hope will carry me through until I get a laptop that meets SOM's requirements.

what are SOM's requirements for the laptop?

OMMFan said:
Are there places near campus that offer free wireless internet access? I won't have internet access at home for a while and would like to have reliable access until then.

I haven't bought a new laptop yet (am considering an HP Compaq tablet PC -- I want something super-light) but still have my old trusty iBook that I hope will carry me through until I get a laptop that meets SOM's requirements.

i think panera bread on white horse road (laurel road, just diff name in voorhees) does and most of the bookstores (B&N - i know at B&N u have 2 pay 2 use a certain package of hours, not sure about borders) and the more well-known chain coffee shops (starbucks, etc). plus some areas of school like the student lounges r wireless. plus, the apple store in marlton is wireless but they have alot of computers u can just use 4 quick email checks. panera is in that newer strip mall next 2 the echelon village strip mall w/ genuardi's, taco bell/kfc, baja fresh, coconut bay, etc. prob best bet 4 u w/ the exception of going 2 school.

Panera does have free wireless. Coffee Works near the Ritz has free wireless as well. Nice place, but the lighting isn't that great.

Do we actually use the laptops in class? Is it really easier to take notes on a laptop compared to a notebook? I was always more of a fun of desktops.

4 those still looking 4 apts: kingsrow on chews landing called me 2day (but i told them i found a place but would post their info 4 other students) and they have some apts available. some umdnj'ers r already over there so u won't b isolated and its close 2 school.

2 x 1 BR at $750, immediate move-in
1 x 2 BR at $954 with FULL sized washer and dryer, available 8/20

1 yr lease, UMDNJ'ers get app fees waived and a $125 coupon 2 help with move-in costs.

contact laurie if interested 856-784-8856

PublicEnemy said:
Panera does have free wireless. Coffee Works near the Ritz has free wireless as well. Nice place, but the lighting isn't that great.
Haha. This is so ironic. I worked at Coffee Works for a number of years immediately after it opened in 1996. (I was in the first batch of employees hired and the first employee of the month :D ) Hmmm. I wonder if the owners would cut any special deals for SOMers. I'll have to pop into the store and work my charm -- haha. We will probably need all of the free/discounted coffee we can get! :laugh:

Lol, although it’s very unlikely, it would be amazing if SOM students could get discounts on the coffee. I mean maybe some kind of frequent buyers deal where you pay up front for 50 coffees and you get a coupon for 100 :p Fast food chains, coffee houses, etc should definatley offer us big discounts because we are going to be a nice chunk of their business for four years.

I have one of those wawa travel cups, you get a little discount on that, definitely worth it. Wawa coffee is pretty underrated, they have a good selection of stuff and its so nice and cheap.

hey, i know someone asked previously but I am having the hardest time deciding on a laptop. I really want a Mac but I don't know how annoying it will be to use at school. Do I have to buy Windows XP separately? is that even worth it? I don't know, school starts so soon...help! ok, seriously, any advice would be much appreciated. thanks!

you can definitely get a mac if thats what you want. i know several people who have macs and have no trouble getting on the network at school and/or running any school related programs.

I couldn't forsee any problems using a mac. Unless you are taking notes on it, it's unlikley you will actually use your laptop in class. If there are programs that need to be run that aren't mac compatible there are usually ways to get them to run anyways. If not, I'm sure there will be a computer lab somewhere for you to use or you can always ask one of us. I was told by a student last year that the requirement to have a laptop is really more of a reccomendation.

ready to pivot said:
hey, i know someone asked previously but I am having the hardest time deciding on a laptop. I really want a Mac but I don't know how annoying it will be to use at school. Do I have to buy Windows XP separately? is that even worth it? I don't know, school starts so soon...help! ok, seriously, any advice would be much appreciated. thanks!

I was in the same boat...I called UMDNJ IT services and ran it by them before getting my Mac book...They said there should be no problems. They have student rebates for the Macbook plus a rebate for Microsoft Office. I got mine last week and love it. See yall in a few days

oh wow, thanks for the help, everyone! I think I'm gonna go with the Mac. Also, if anyone is still looking to buy a computer check out fatwallet.com, they have great coupons there for a lot of online stores. just found out about it and thought it was cool, don't know if people know about it already.

OMMFan said:

I've found the Lindenwold Library on Linden Ave in between White Horse Pike and Berlin Ave. It's free, but you have to prove that you live in Lindenwold.

-Amy

ames211 said:
I've found the Lindenwold Library on Linden Ave in between White Horse Pike and Berlin Ave. It's free, but you have to prove that you live in Lindenwold.

-Amy

camden county library over by echelon mall road (near the village and echelon glen) is also wireless and i don't remember anyone having 2 prove where they live. they also have computers u can sign up 2 use but alot of times, alot of ppl r there and u have 2 wait. if u have a laptop, they have outlets u can hook up 2 and get wireless.

A lot of you seem to be looking for wireless connections around town. Does that mean a lot of you aren't paying for internet connections and cable tv? Just curious because I am debating myself if I want to spring for that stuff. For 6 months it’s cheap with comcast and maybe I will just cut it off after that if I don't use it. Also, I know the price of electricity varies and it really depends on how much use etc, but I have never had an appt before so I really don't have a clue. Does anyone have a rough estimate how much it will cost a normal person living in an average sized 1 bedroom appt a month in electricity in the summer. My heat, gas for stove, and heated water are free so pretty much electricity will be for constant ac, constant refrigerator, and constant computer use with some occasional use of the tv. Are we talking $50, $100, $150? I’m just curious what you guys think because I can’t even guess. Thanks guys!

Scorcher31 said:
A lot of you seem to be looking for wireless connections around town. Does that mean a lot of you aren't paying for internet connections and cable tv? Just curious because I am debating myself if I want to spring for that stuff. For 6 months it’s cheap with comcast and maybe I will just cut it off after that if I don't use it. Also, I know the price of electricity varies and it really depends on how much use etc, but I have never had an appt before so I really don't have a clue. Does anyone have a rough estimate how much it will cost a normal person living in an average sized 1 bedroom appt a month in electricity in the summer. My heat, gas for stove, and heated water are free so pretty much electricity will be for constant ac, constant refrigerator, and constant computer use with some occasional use of the tv. Are we talking $50, $100, $150? I’m just curious what you guys think because I can’t even guess. Thanks guys!

it depends on whether ur a/c is electric and the efficiency of ur a/c. i called about electric bills at both stonington and echelon glen and it averaged $70/mo over 12 months but it broke down 2 like $30-40 in the winter and over $100 (sometimes $150-200) in the summer cuz of the a/c. u can call ur electric company and ask 4 the average cost of electric 4 the person who lived in ur unit b4 u, but keep in mind, that its just and average and u may use ur electricity differently than the previous tenant. but at least it gives u a ballpark idea whether its closer to $50, $100, or $150.

and oh, i guess it depends of ur heat is gas or electric

I'm impressed with how thorough/neurotic you guys are about planning expenses. I lived in the Village last year, so I've gotta let you Villagers out there know that your utilities will be the exact opposite of those described by Alchemist for Stonington and Echelon. I had a studio at the Village, and the winter months were by far the priciest in terms of electricity...the bills do get up fairly high during the summer, but nothing compared to the winter months. Just plan ahead and use common sense and you'll all be fine.

Lol the thoroughness/neuroticism is mainly due to boredom. I took the summer off, and I'm usually the type that alwasy likes to be doing something :p. Yeah I know bad call on my part.