>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
I just got off the waitlist at UMDNJ!! I am so excited! Thats the good news. The not-so-good news is that I literally have 2 weeks before orientation starts. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for where I should start looking for apartments or if anyone was looking for a roomate. Im 23, non-smoker and am looking for one or 2 other girls to share a place with.
thanks!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

wildsimmer said:
Hey guys,
I just got off the waitlist at UMDNJ!! I am so excited! Thats the good news. The not-so-good news is that I literally have 2 weeks before orientation starts. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for where I should start looking for apartments or if anyone was looking for a roomate. Im 23, non-smoker and am looking for one or 2 other girls to share a place with.

congrats on your acceptance. Search for the past couple of threads for the apts

wildsimmer said:
Hey guys,

congrats. i remember ur past posts when u were anxiously waiting 4 news, i'm glad that u got of the WL. try pm'ing kwm5555, i remember a post from her recently looking 4 a female roommate cuz she had gotten off the waitlist as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks alchemist.
I just PMed her :) have u found a place yet? I hear Echleaon and the Villages are good places to start. this is all so overwhelming, esp with classes starting soon!

Echelon is better than the Villages, especially because you'll be closer to our Barbeques

wildsimmer said:
thanks alchemist.
I just PMed her :) have u found a place yet? I hear Echleaon and the Villages are good places to start. this is all so overwhelming, esp with classes starting soon!

i got a 1 bdrm/bradford style at echelon glen. the rooms r cheaper/slightly larger at the glen than the villages and since my parents live 5 min away, i don't need the washer/dryer that the village has in the unit (while the glen has a laundry room). tell both places that u r a umdnj student - the village will waive ur $45 application fee while echelon glen will give u off 1 month's rent and u only need a $200 security deposit as a student (unless u have pets, then the dep is full market rent/undiscounted). i think that there is also 1 discounted (non-student deal, but the deal is better than the student discount) 1 bdrm left at $795 but its in building 145 which is a little walk from the parking lot and not well lit at night - i did a drive by 2night in case i wanted 2 change the apt that i will move into in aug 4 the cheaper 1 but i'm keeping the apt i have. both echelon glen and the village r literally right next 2 each other and in voorhees which is safer (but pricier) than alot of other areas but that deps on individual comfort levels. the 2 bdrms at echelon glen r a good deal but they go quicker than the 1 bdrms - the price is affordable if u have a roommate unlike the 1 bdrms which might b a financial squeeze (but i have pets and it was easier 2 live alone than 2 deal with potential pet issues). i totally understand the overwhelming feeling. i felt it 2 although now a little less b/c i confirmed my apt and now bought almost all my furniture off of craigslist. good luck and if u need help, whatever i can do (i live in cherry hill nearby) if u're out of town, i'll try. glad u got in, now i hope sayoc gets in cuz i know she really wants 2 go 2 som.

so who does everyone at echelon glen use 4 their mandatory renters insurance? cheapest i found was assurant thru geico at 106/yr

Hey guys,
I just got the HUGE UMDNJ package with apartment info and stuff. Some of the apartments listed include heat and hot water and stuff. Does Echleon Glen include any utilities? I would rather live there since Ive heard its a nice place and lot of med students are there as well.

wildsimmer said:
Hey guys,
I just got the HUGE UMDNJ package with apartment info and stuff. Some of the apartments listed include heat and hot water and stuff. Does Echleon Glen include any utilities? I would rather live there since Ive heard its a nice place and lot of med students are there as well.

no u have 2 pay both electric and gas at EG (which also means a/c and heat).

I started a new thread on this too, but just incase I wanted to make a post here as well. Is anyone looking to share a 2 BR place or does anyone know of someone looking for a roomate?
I am driving down tomorrow to look at Echleon Glen, The Villages and Kings row. Most only have 1BR left but Ecleon has a 2BR that sounds like a really good deal.
Thanks!

the alchemist said:
no u have 2 pay both electric and gas at EG (which also means a/c and heat).

the alchemist said:
so who does everyone at echelon glen use 4 their mandatory renters insurance? cheapest i found was assurant thru geico at 106/yr

i used liberty mutual, it was around $90 something.

PublicEnemy said:
i used liberty mutual, it was around $90 something.

thx dude. that seems the cheapest yet. do u just need it 4 the 1st yr? although i guess if one can afford it, its a good idea 2 have renters insurance anyways.

a couple of us were wondering, what with the current heat wave we have going on, whether any part of the white coat ceremony day is outside at all - ie, we need 2 wear lighter clothing? thx

the alchemist said:
thx dude. that seems the cheapest yet. do u just need it 4 the 1st yr? although i guess if one can afford it, its a good idea 2 have renters insurance anyways.

a couple of us were wondering, what with the current heat wave we have going on, whether any part of the white coat ceremony day is outside at all - ie, we need 2 wear lighter clothing? thx

It was hot last year and a few of us didn't wear anything underneath our white coat. The natural A/C worked well for us. JK. The only thing that was outdoors last year was any pictures you wanted to take with your fam, girlfriend, other students, doctors, janitors, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stud Doc D said:
It was hot last year and a few of us didn't wear anything underneath our white coat. The natural A/C worked well for us. JK. The only thing that was outdoors last year was any pictures you wanted to take with your fam, girlfriend, other students, doctors, janitors, etc.

thx 4 the 411 but i dunno if i wanna dare 2 go commando, don't know everyone that well, yet (j/k)... ;)

Hey, I was wondering if one of you guys could tell me the difference between SOMA and SNMA? Do both have active UMDNJ-SOM chapters? Do our students usually join both? Do both have fees to join? Does one have more fun activities and gatherings associated with it? Oh and does anyone know anyting about participating in the SNMA date auction? Are 1st years allowed to volunteer themselves as dates?

would anyone (a first year would be great) be willing to live with 2, 4th year med students with a 7 year old? reduced rent. only catch would be to make sure the 7 year old gets to bus every morning (probably 8 or so each am). no baby sitting during the day. we both have early schedule (at clinical rotations, sub I, etc) so need someone to make sure the kid is taken care of each morning. no other real responsibilities. plus you'd get all our books (4 years of med school), resources, advice (if you want) and tips about med school and residency application in general.

Scorcher31 said:
Hey, I was wondering if one of you guys could tell me the difference between SOMA and SNMA? Do both have active UMDNJ-SOM chapters? Do our students usually join both? Do both have fees to join? Does one have more fun activities and gatherings associated with it? Oh and does anyone know anyting about participating in the SNMA date auction? Are 1st years allowed to volunteer themselves as dates?

i was wondering the same thing. i do know that we got applic 2 join soma earlier this summer and that membership fee is $60 but u get a free copy of netter's anatomy which some ppl like and some ppl don't. dunno anything about snma

Scorcher31 said:
Hey, I was wondering if one of you guys could tell me the difference between SOMA and SNMA? Do both have active UMDNJ-SOM chapters? Do our students usually join both? Do both have fees to join? Does one have more fun activities and gatherings associated with it?

This is just a guess but I would imagine the SOMA is the osteopathic version of the SNMA, which traditionally has been allopathic.

hellllllllooooo from brussels. if i could have found the exclamation mark on this keyboard i would have used that. just got here from paris. thought i would just shoot a quick hello to my classmates. a few things. alchemist, if your parents are that close, then you can take my dirty laundry home with you. also, someone said something about not wearing anything under the lab coats? i love running around naked. also, echelon glenn is clearly the place to be. this keyboard is driving me nuts. au revoir.

flick2010 said:
hellllllllooooo from brussels. if i could have found the exclamation mark on this keyboard i would have used that. just got here from paris. thought i would just shoot a quick hello to my classmates. a few things. alchemist, if your parents are that close, then you can take my dirty laundry home with you. also, someone said something about not wearing anything under the lab coats? i love running around naked. also, echelon glenn is clearly the place to be. this keyboard is driving me nuts. au revoir.

bonjour mon ami. comment vous aiment paris? and what do i get out of doing ur dirty laundry ;) ??

the alchemist said:
bonjour mon ami. comment vous aiment paris? and what do i get out of doing ur dirty laundry ;) ??

Oh man, you're both nuts. Pazzo as we say...
I will have no part in this Wild-On-Voorhees naked party. ;)

Free W/D services at my place, kids. Just say the word.

Lol, here's a vote to extend the party to include the Stratford area as well!! Maybe we can turn it into some sort of school holiday ;)

SOMA is something you should all join. you'll get a free Netter's atlas when you sign up so it's worth it. SNMA is allopathic and osteopathic but is more of a minority medical student group (student national medical association).

For those living in Ecleon Glen...

Can someone give me an idea of what the utilities bill looks like each month?
Since I cant find a roomate, I think Im gonna have to sign up for a 1BR

doctorjay when you say snma is more of a minority medical student group. Do you just mean that unlike soma it's a small group that not everyone joins or do you mean it's actually a group for minority students?

it's actually a group of minority students (but of course is open to any and all students).

http://www.snma.org/

our school has a very strong SNMA chapter and we have hosted some SNMA conferences.

-J

when you guys get here for white coat there will be multiple representatives from many of the clubs and organizations on campus. SOMA is the one organization you guys should probably all be a part of and then branch out and see what interests you in terms of other clubs/organizations. some are extremely active, others less active because they are just starting.

you guys are going to get a lot of free lunches with lectures your first couple of weeks at school about the clubs as well, attend them all and learn as much as you can - and you'll eat more pizza than you thought possible.

see you guys soon!

SOMA is the osteopathic equivalent of AMSA, which is the American Medical Students Association, or the AMA. SOMA serves as the local student chapter of the AOA. SOMA has conventions and organizes meetings along with AOA events.
SNMA is a good organization as well, but it typically has a minority focus.

we have wild-on style naked parties in voorhees all the time. we considered asking to instill a dress code, encouraging all females to wear just a scrub top, as a dress...

Hey, I just got in off the waitlist today! Just wanted to know people's opinions on Echelon Glen because that's potentially where I could be living. Any info would be great, thanks!

ok, never mind, I'm reading the vast amount of info on previous posts!

arrived in frankfurt today... it was probably 100 degrees today, and no one in europe believes in air conditioning. alchy, in return for taking care of my laundry, you can be my friend. haha. tango, i'm not sure of the unit number since i don't have my info handy. almost lost the apartment though. i'll save that story for another day. time for bed. looking foward to meeting everyone. furniture shopping anyone?

Sorry flick I'd go with ya, but I won't be around to do much of anything till after the white coat ceremony. I'm heading up on Saturday to move in my whole place and get food. If anybody is doing anything later that night after all the parents split, I’m up for it.

ready to pivot said:
Hey, I just got in off the waitlist today! Just wanted to know people's opinions on Echelon Glen because that's potentially where I could be living. Any info would be great, thanks!

congrats! guess u're going 2 join us in the glen? remember 2 ask 4 the umdnj student discount or any deals. i guess we'll all c and meet each other in 2 sundays! anyone up 4 doing sth next week? if ppl r interested, maybe we can put sth 2gether and organize some carpools 4 those w/o a car.

the alchemist said:
if ppl r interested, maybe we can put sth 2gether and organize some carpools 4 those w/o a car.

Ooh, definitely. I don't drive (living in NY and all)...so any carpools would be greatly appreciated. Granted, the hubby drives but I'm sure there will be those 8am Histo days where he doesn't feel like chauffering me about! =)

Tangoinatiara said:
Ooh, definitely. I don't drive (living in NY and all)...so any carpools would be greatly appreciated. Granted, the hubby drives but I'm sure there will be those 8am Histo days where he doesn't feel like chauffering me about! =)

tango, i can give u a ride 2 classes since our parking lots r basically across the street from each other (though i won't move in til 8/12). but i could still pick u up since EG is on the way 2 school from the hill. just might need 2 make sure i'm awake since i am so not an AM person :)

If anyones staying in stratford and dosen't have a car, I can probably help with a ride. Just let me know.

Hey all, just wondering what kind of health insurance u guys are going with.. is the health insurance the school offers good or is it better to go with an outside company? I also saw SOMA offers something, whatdya think??

Jerseygrrl4 said:
Hey all, just wondering what kind of health insurance u guys are going with.. is the health insurance the school offers good or is it better to go with an outside company? I also saw SOMA offers something, whatdya think??

SOMA is 100-150 per month which is less than the $2000 from the university :thumbup:

brodaiga said:
SOMA is 100-150 per month which is less than the $2000 from the university :thumbup:

true, the price is cheaper but on "cursory" glance, the school insurance (chickering aetna, and i'm not the greatest fan of them b/c i had them in grad school but the med school plan is better than the grad school plan i had) seems better than the 3 SOMA plans, but this deps on what u need.

4 instance, if u r on routine meds (i take migraine meds), the max limit is much lower on the 3 SOMA plans (80% up to $500/$750/80%) compared to $2500 after copay with the school insurance; the copay is also higher 4 brand name drugs under the SOMA plans $25 vs $20). the school insurance also pays 10% more on most medical costs (in network 90%, out 70% vs 80% and 60%). the SOMA policy also has pre-existing condition limitations which i don't c on the school plan (but this doesn't mean that they don't have this but it doesn't seem so). immunizations (including preventative meds, i would guess that flu vaccine would fall under this category) r excluded on the SOMA plans but not the school insurance. these r just some things i noted skimming thru so i may b have made some mistakes but i just suggest that ppl really comb thru the diff plans 2 c what is best 4 them. i didn't compare the vision or dental plans (school insurance doesn't include dental and SOMA plans have separate health/vision/dental insur plans and fees).

the alchemist said:
just might need 2 make sure i'm awake since i am so not an AM person :)

Betty, sounds good. I figured I would have to call and wake you up every morning anyways! :sleep:

It really just depends on how much you know you will need the plan. If you take routine meds or need frequent doctor visits go with the better more expensive plan. Some doctors make horrible patients, and I'm one of them lol. I won't see a doctor or take any meds unless I’m in seriously bad shape... so I'm gambling I won't need and am going to get the cheapest plan.

Now here’s a question for upper classmen. Do you know about when we actually pay for tuition, and does it come right out of our loan check? I would rather get the whole check, stick it in the bank, and charge my tuition to discover card to get a ton of points, then pay the card off with the money from the loan. Is it possible to put our tuition on a credit card like that? I'm not sure what my limit is, but I'm assuming it’s pretty high. If it doesn’t cover all of my tuition, can I charge half and write a check for the other half?

Scorcher31 said:
Now here’s a question for upper classmen. Do you know about when we actually pay for tuition, and does it come right out of our loan check? I would rather get the whole check, stick it in the bank, and charge my tuition to discover card to get a ton of points, then pay the card off with the money from the loan. Is it possible to put our tuition on a credit card like that? I'm not sure what my limit is, but I'm assuming it’s pretty high. If it doesn’t cover all of my tuition, can I charge half and write a check for the other half?

i'm not an upperclassman but ur classmate but finaid told me that they take out the tuition and school related fees (health insurance, etc) b4 u get ur loan check disbursed. they told me that we will get 'certified' during o-week and then can get our check (minus tuition + fees) prob by the time classes start or soon after. i called and asked b/c i need moolah 2 move into my apt on 8/12. sorry it doesn't look like u can charge it 2 ur credit card in that case. i'm going 2 put the rest of the check into a citibank e-savings account (5% interest, higher than my ING acct right now - 4.4%). if u have a citicard, i can also email u a promotion that u can set up the citibank e-savings acct with where u get a free roundtrip ticket to DC, NYC, LA, Boston, and i think 2 other cities i can't remember - if u set up and fund w/ $1500 by 7/31st.

the alchemist said:
i'm going 2 put the rest of the check into a citibank e-savings account (5% interest, higher than my ING acct right now - 4.4%). if u have a citicard, i can also email u a promotion that u can set up the citibank e-savings acct with where u get a free roundtrip ticket to DC, NYC, LA, Boston, and i think 2 other cities i can't remember - if u set up and fund w/ $1500 by 7/31st.

Good call with the citibank account alchemist, i was about to do the ING but i'll open the citibank this week. Its not a ridiculous amount of money we'll make off the interest, especially because we have to take money out of it to pay bills monthly, but...why not make a few bucks if we can. Does the citibank savings link up to your checking so that you can withdraw from the savings easily though (like ing's set up)?

-usman

uchoudhr said:
Good call with the citibank account alchemist, i was about to do the ING but i'll open the citibank this week. Its not a ridiculous amount of money we'll make off the interest, especially because we have to take money out of it to pay bills monthly, but...why not make a few bucks if we can. Does the citibank savings link up to your checking so that you can withdraw from the savings easily though (like ing's set up)?

-usman

no, u need 2 open up an EZ-checking acct with citibank. if u have a citicard (credit card with them), i can send u the email promotion 4 the free airplane ticket if u want. i'm keeping my commerce checking and ING accts but opening up the citibank accts 4 school related money when i get my paycheck this fri and u can use ATMs at 7/11s free for citibank accts. i think i checked and there is 1 on burnt mill road or somewhere close 2 school

hey, wildsimmer and i actually put down a deposit at the landings at pine lake for a 2 BR...i've been reading everything and now I'm a bit worried. We both just got in, and it's been impossible to find anything decent. if anyone has any suggestions, we'd really appreciate it!

ready to pivot said:
hey, wildsimmer and i actually put down a deposit at the landings at pine lake for a 2 BR...i've been reading everything and now I'm a bit worried. We both just got in, and it's been impossible to find anything decent. if anyone has any suggestions, we'd really appreciate it!

what happened 2 the 2 BR at echelon glen? i thought someone (thought it was wildsimmer) just said that there was 1 left? if there is, its a good deal 4 a 2 BR. it seems there's a bunch of ppl at the landings as well though its a little farther away. but good luck whereever u guys decide 2 live.

the alchemist said:
what happened 2 the 2 BR at echelon glen? i thought someone (thought it was wildsimmer) just said that there was 1 left? if there is, its a good deal 4 a 2 BR. it seems there's a bunch of ppl at the landings as well though its a little farther away. but good luck whereever u guys decide 2 live.

yeah, we went to go look at it (echelon), but it was on the ground floor and facing the parking lot. wasn't so nice so we looked all day and the landings was a pretty good deal, but it seems like people think it might be sketchy. i don't know we're probably gonna just suck it up and live there.

Honestly I wouldn't worry that much about sketchiness. It’s much much safer in this area than Camden or Phily. I guess it depends what you're used to, but I wouldn't worry, especially because you have a roommate. Besides most students have nothing to their names, but a whole lot of debt. So we aren't the most ideal targets in the world. With that said I don't really know much about the Landings so just make sure you understand whats included, whats not, and you get it all in writing. Good luck with everything, and see you all in a week or so!

i'm back!!! between france, belgium, and germany, i managed to take about 600 pictures!!! oh, just wanted to throw it out there, if anyone's interested in dinner at my place one day in the upcoming month, let me know. i love to cook.