>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ornis4 said:
I'm impressed with how thorough/neurotic you guys are about planning expenses. I lived in the Village last year, so I've gotta let you Villagers out there know that your utilities will be the exact opposite of those described by Alchemist for Stonington and Echelon. I had a studio at the Village, and the winter months were by far the priciest in terms of electricity...the bills do get up fairly high during the summer, but nothing compared to the winter months. Just plan ahead and use common sense and you'll all be fine.

as 4 me, i'm just anal. i'm the type who pays my bills the day after i receive them unless i'm waiting 4 a paycheck. what can u expect from a detail oriented scientist? but then u know if i say i'll do sth, it'll get done at least. 2 more days til i'm done with my experiments and cleaning up my stuff from the lab. finally!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for all the wireless tips. I'm at Coffee Works right now! I'll check out Panera Bread and the libraries, too (I live in Lindenwold). I will definitely have internet at home (signed up for Verizon voiceless DSL -- thanks alchemist for telling me it exists). I can't imagine only having internet access at certain locations.

I haven't gotten my laptop yet, but thanks to you guys am again considering the macbook. I love my old iBook but am looking for something smaller/lighter. A friend is going to lend me his HP/Compaq TC 1100 tablet PC -- one could use it to take notes in class (if you write neatly it'll translate the notes into typed text). So I think I'll be stuck w/my zero-battery-life and heavy iBook 'til I check out the tablet and/or decide to get a Macbook. Also, won't Macs come w/Boot Camp (to run Windows XP and Windows-only software) starting around January? If we have any way to hold off 'til then it might be better.

btw, does anyone here live at Timber Ridge?

OMMFan said:
I haven't gotten my laptop yet, but thanks to you guys am again considering the macbook. I love my old iBook but am looking for something smaller/lighter. A friend is going to lend me his HP/Compaq TC 1100 tablet PC -- one could use it to take notes in class (if you write neatly it'll translate the notes into typed text). So I think I'll be stuck w/my zero-battery-life and heavy iBook 'til I check out the tablet and/or decide to get a Macbook. Also, won't Macs come w/Boot Camp (to run Windows XP and Windows-only software) starting around January? If we have any way to hold off 'til then it might be better.

right now the apple store in marlton has some promotions going on. 4 students (it says college students but i'm guessing that they might allow the deal 4 all students?), u get a free (thru rebate) ipod nano with a purchase of a mac. plus until sept sth, they have a $100 coupon/rebate promotion 2ward printers and they have a HP printer/scanner/copier all-in-one 4 about $100 so it would b free! the macbook has an intel processor so it should b able 2 run bootcamp (i dunno if they give u bootcamp though). i think right now apple is still testing the beta version of bootcamp so OMMFan might b right about waiting til jan.

Members don't see this ad :)
if anyone needs a ride 2 school 4 the finaid 101 presentation at noon in 2 days (fri), hit me up with a PM.

i think i'm going to buy a new dell. this one's pretty antiquated. by the way, i can't wait to play the "put a face to the name" game next week!

2 the ppl i gave out the promotion code 2 4 the free airplane ticket with citibank when u open up a savings/checking account, i called them and apparently, that promotion is not 4 all citicard holders but just 'selected ppl' so u may not b able 2 get ur applic processed 2 receive the promotion. sorry dudes.

on the other hand, OMMfan told me about the HSBC 5.05% savings account online. its linked 2 ur bank account like the ING accts r and there is no min balance. their link is at www.hsbcusa.com. downside is that all their nj branches r in central/north jersey but if u're used 2 online banking and open up a local acct (like i have an acct at commerce bank) if u want a physical place 2 deposit money instead of mailing it and the use of ATMs, it shouldn't b a prob.

random question. from what i remember from my last visit, the first and second year classrooms aren't really anything to write home about. i remember hearing something about SOM looking to update. has anyone else heard anything?

oh, btw... betty, jill over at echelon glen told me you dropped my name and said some pretty nasty things about me! :mad: --- j/k :laugh:

flick2010 said:
random question. from what i remember from my last visit, the first and second year classrooms aren't really anything to write home about. i remember hearing something about SOM looking to update. has anyone else heard anything?

oh, btw... betty, jill over at echelon glen told me you dropped my name and said some pretty nasty things about me! :mad: --- j/k :laugh:

hi ralph. no, no nasty things (should i have?? ;) ). nah, i usually just kinda say those things 2 ppl's faces. hee hee. no, i just asked her about 3rd floor rooms as i had heard u talking about 1 and i've been there a couple of times during my apt search since i live in the hill and they never once offered me a 3rd floor apt. that is, until i mentioned ur name, must b magic, huh...and then they offered me a 3rd floor in the stucco bldgs over by bibbs road, which i'm guessing is the 1 u got since that apt didn't open up til sometime in aug. my mom was just upset that i took a ground floor apt that i won't get 2 move into til 8/12th and telling me 2 'never open my blinds and 2 get a higher floor apt cuz i'm a girl all alone' (oh what will i do?? OMG i'm a "weak" female, whatever) so i tried 4 her sake but i'm happy with where my apt is (makes moving 2 x 3 seater sofas + other furniture easier! i totally scored with craigslist though my parent's garage isn't 2 happy about all the furniture i'm storing there), got some cool neighbors i already met, and will b opening my blinds, otherwise my kitties won't b able 2 look at the oh so tasty looking duckies and geese near the lake. ;) . so how r u getting furniture up 2 the 3rd floor?? guess u're a big, strong man :rolleyes: ...and btw, i love 2 cook and have ppl over as well. so b/t u and i, we can keep the troops fed on italian and asian food :) (and i know how 2 make korean bbq! 2 bad the red devils sucked it up in the WC but congrats on italia's big coup)

oh, betty!!! are you really going to have cats in your apartment?!?!?! grr. i guess i'll have to load up on the benadryl before i come over. btw, AIM: rbflick120.

one more question. on August 4th, there's a basic life support class we have to take. since i'm an EMT, does anyone know if i'm still required to attend?

flick2010 said:
oh, betty!!! are you really going to have cats in your apartment?!?!?! grr. i guess i'll have to load up on the benadryl before i come over. btw, AIM: rbflick120.

sorry, i'm kinda old and behind the ways. what's AIM? is that aol IM? i've been around since the days of IM'ing via IRC way back in the day. dude, my bro is allergic 2 pets and i have 2 cats. he takes allegra and flonase and its all good. they won't b there at 1st while i'm unpacking and having 2 study 4 our 1st round of exams in aug.

if u or anyone needs help with furniture shopping, esp if u look at craigslist 4 philly (there isn't much 4 south jersey) and dunno whether the locations where they want u 2 pick up the stuff r close 2 here, just PM me and i can tell u which areas r in center city/downtown or NE philly close enough 2 drive - cuz some of those listers r not very close, like 1 hr or more away and if u don't know the area it can b confusing.

plus, i'm planning on doing an IKEA run 2 the south philly store sometime if ppl wanna go. i can only take 4 ppl cuz i only got a civic that only fits 5 (unless u don't mind asian style - sitting on each other like sardines) but if other ppl wanna go along with cars and pool other interested folks, that's cool.

flick2010 said:
one more question. on August 4th, there's a basic life support class we have to take. since i'm an EMT, does anyone know if i'm still required to attend?

i was wondering that as well since i am also a registered (non-practicing) EMT and a volunteer CPR/AED/first aid instructor with the red cross in philly.

i'm guessing we prob have 2 go 2 the BLS class (wait, rn't we supposed 2 b trained in ACLS? don't remember) since the AHA and ARC both changed the CPR protocols (i had 2 get trained in them 2 teach them starting june 2006) - its now 30 chest compressions to 2 breaths (not 15:2) and its the same across the board 4 infant/child/adult (no longer 5:1 for infant, etc) - data showed that the chest compressions r more impt so they doubled the number of compressions (child/adult) and so its now 2 min of care per cycle instead of 1 min. they also changed conscious choking to 5 backblows + 5 abdominal thrusts (Heimlich) b/c they determined that both methods work just as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
the alchemist said:
sorry, i'm kinda old and behind the ways. what's AIM? is that aol IM? i've been around since the days of IM'ing via IRC way back in the day. dude, my bro is allergic 2 pets and i have 2 cats. he takes allegra and flonase and its all good. they won't b there at 1st while i'm unpacking and having 2 study 4 our 1st round of exams in aug.

if u or anyone needs help with furniture shopping, esp if u look at craigslist 4 philly (there isn't much 4 south jersey) and dunno whether the locations where they want u 2 pick up the stuff r close 2 here, just PM me and i can tell u which areas r in center city/downtown or NE philly close enough 2 drive - cuz some of those listers r not very close, like 1 hr or more away and if u don't know the area it can b confusing.

plus, i'm planning on doing an IKEA run 2 the south philly store sometime if ppl wanna go. i can only take 4 ppl cuz i only got a civic that only fits 5 (unless u don't mind asian style - sitting on each other like sardines) but if other ppl wanna go along with cars and pool other interested folks, that's cool.

I love ikea! and i was def thrilled to see that there was one near by. I actually have to go get some stuff from there too. when were you planning on going?

flick2010 said:

Unless you have gotten your recertification within the last 3 months, everyone is required to attend. I tried to get out as well (I'm an RN) Dean Micciche said it's school policy with the rationale being that it keeps the class on the same renewal schedule. I had my recert last summer. Certification is good for 2 years.

csox84 said:
I love ikea! and i was def thrilled to see that there was one near by. I actually have to go get some stuff from there too. when were you planning on going?

no specific date. if ppl wanna go, whatever day that works best 4 the most ppl.

if u don't mind used stuff, also look up philadelphia.craigslist.org cuz alot of ppl (esp graduating students) r selling ikea furniture right now. most of the furniture i got was used ikea stuff (3 seater ektorp couch, 3 seater varnamo couch - the same color 2! dresser, coffee tables, desk, etc) and all were less than a year old.

MWLucky13 said:
Unless you have gotten your recertification within the last 3 months, everyone is required to attend. I tried to get out as well (I'm an RN) Dean Micciche said it's school policy with the rationale being that it keeps the class on the same renewal schedule. I had my recert last summer. Certification is good for 2 years.

i got recertified about 3 months ago (my license expires 12/07 )with the new protocols b/c we had 2 start teaching them in june (last month) at the red cross. although that recert might have been as an instructor...and it was only 4 the layman (adult protocols) and wasn't 4 the professional rescuer (infant/child/adult protocols). guess i'll have 2 redo it along with u 2. if u certify with the AHA, the license lasts 2 yrs, with the ARC, its only 1 yr. c u at the BCLS class then.

the alchemist said:
i got recertified about 3 months ago (my license expires 12/07 )with the new protocols b/c we had 2 start teaching them in june (last month) at the red cross. although that recert might have been as an instructor...and it was only 4 the layman (adult protocols) and wasn't 4 the professional rescuer (infant/child/adult protocols). guess i'll have 2 redo it along with u 2. if u certify with the AHA, the license lasts 2 yrs, with the ARC, its only 1 yr. c u at the BCLS class then.

i got my recert last month ;) but i wouldnt mind some quality bonding time. btw, i single-handedly keep ikea in business. as for getting all my furniture up to the third floor, i'm just going to throw on a wife-beater and get to business :cool:

i'd definately be up for an ikea trip, was planning on heading down there this saturday cuz i'll be officially all moved in friday night. On that note, anyone wanna grab lunch or do something saturday? I was there today to do some stuff but....you can only position that coffee table so many times before you go bonkers.

-usman

uchoudhr said:
i'd definately be up for an ikea trip, was planning on heading down there this saturday cuz i'll be officially all moved in friday night. On that note, anyone wanna grab lunch or do something saturday? I was there today to do some stuff but....you can only position that coffee table so many times before you go bonkers.

-usman

LOL!!! :laugh: I get to go furniture shopping, but since my lease doesn't start until August 4th, I get to keep it all in my truck.

flick2010 said:
LOL!!! :laugh: I get to go furniture shopping, but since my lease doesn't start until August 4th, I get to keep it all in my truck.

damn, that must b 1 big a$$ truck! i took up 1/4 of the 'rents garage. ralphie in a wife beater...hmm.. :rolleyes:

was supposed 2 teach a cpr/aed/first aid at the ARC this sat but it got cancelled cuz most of the class attendees r volunteering 2 help the lebanese evacuees (most of them fly through PHL or BWI 4 "security" reasons that i dunno). if anyone's interested in volunteering, PM me and i'll get u in touch with the right person over at the red cross (the hours r very early AM like 5 am or very late at night - why i can't do it). so my sat is somewhat freer now though i still can't make the miniature golfing thing at 11 am so have fun dudes who r going 2 that. i might b around 4 lunch if i get up early enough though :D

might b able 2 lead a group down 2 south philly 4 ikea and messy cheesesteaks (actually there's a small side street i always miss going down 2 pat's/geno's but i can always mapquest it) or italian hoagies but dunno about doing it this sat. will have 2 plan out my sched and c and rn't most ppl going 2 the mini golf thing???

the truck isn't that big. it's all about placement. when i graduated from college, i managed to fit my entire apartment. is anything planned for sunday after the white coat ceremony or does everything begin monday? since i don't have a place to live yet, i don't want to be wondering around stratford alone all day.

uchoudhr said:

-usman

Haha try and keep your sanity. I'd be up for something saturday if you still want to go to ikea or even just hang out. Just let me know.

flick, i was wondering the same thing about sunday. I'm from Chicago and my parents just left here when they helped me move so they can't come back for the white coat ceremony...anyway, that just means i'll have nothing to do that night and was wondering if there is anything planned for that night.

csox84 said:
Haha try and keep your sanity. I'd be up for something saturday if you still want to go to ikea or even just hang out. Just let me know.

flick, i was wondering the same thing about sunday. I'm from Chicago and my parents just left here when they helped me move so they can't come back for the white coat ceremony...anyway, that just means i'll have nothing to do that night and was wondering if there is anything planned for that night.

well... i'm a yankee fan, so we may not get along, but if anything, we could drive around the area, check it out, maybe go get dinner? it's going to stink not having a home for a few days. :(

so is it better 4 peeps 2 go 2 ikea 2morrow (sat) or 1 day this coming week after orientation? i got into the lab late 2day so it doesn't look like i'll finish cleaning out everything (but i might if i stay late) so i might have 2 go in on sat but dunno yet. i'd b up 4 food and stuff on sat/sun dep on the schedule of whether i have 2 go in2 the lab on sat. will know better later. josue is going 2 send me the powerpoint and handouts later from the finaid 101 presentation 2day and i will post them on the myumdj SOM class of 2010 group and also on sdn if i can figure out how 2 attach files on sdn.

flick2010 said:
it's going to stink not having a home for a few days. :(

You're welcome to store any extra stuff at my place next week and save your car the trouble. My apartment is going to look like a warzone for awhile anyways, so what's a few more boxes?

Amen...my husband is a Brewers fan (didn't know they had much of a following, haha) and I love the Yankees. I drag him down into the bleachers every chance we get.

Thank god you're not a Mets fan...blech.

Has anyone heard news of their Big Bro/Sis???

Tangoinatiara said:
You're welcome to store any extra stuff at my place next week and save your car the trouble. My apartment is going to look like a warzone for awhile anyways, so what's a few more boxes?

Amen...my husband is a Brewers fan (didn't know they had much of a following, haha) and I love the Yankees. I drag him down into the bleachers every chance we get.

Thank god you're not a Mets fan...blech.

Has anyone heard news of their Big Bro/Sis???

thanks, nikki, you rock! i'll let you know if i need any space, but i should be okay. yankees rule. as for our big bro/sis, i think we find out during orientation.

if anyone wants to do something sunday after the ceremony, let me know! :thumbup:

flick2010 said:
thanks, nikki, you rock! i'll let you know if i need any space, but i should be okay. yankees rule. as for our big bro/sis, i think we find out during orientation.

o we may have some problems if youre a yankee fan... normally i don't associate with them, but I guess I'll make the exception for you haha. I don't care what the standings show right now, my sox are gonna give the windy city a repeat! Anyway we should def figure something out for sunday after the ceremony.

csox84 said:

I ended up staying the night at home, but I'll be there tomorrow, so I'm definately down for a late lunch, at like 4ish or so, the more the merrier. Same goes for doing something after white coat, cuz my parents are ditching me for a party afterwards, ha.

As far as baseball goes....hands down, yankees all the way.

-usman

josue hasn't sent me the finaid 101 stuff but i'll post them as soon as i get them - on the class of 2010 group on myumdnj and/or sdn.

anyways, josue did give a good suggestion. sign ur master promissory note (MPN) 4 ur loans NOW so that u get the ball rolling on the whole process so that u can get ur loan $$ quicker - he said maybe by the end of o-week. otherwise, u'll have 2 sign the MNP once school starts and that'll only delay getting ur loan $$.

go 2 the link on the FA website and pick ur loan lender. if u went with the school lender, by default it is medloans thru sallie mae. if u did t.h.e. or another listed lender, chose the correct link and set up an account as a 'new user' - basically putting in personal info and 2 references like u did when u got stafford loans in college and setting up a login and pwd...then u can electronically (e-sign) sign ur MPN if u know ur FAFSA pin number.

http://www.umdnj.edu/studentfinancialaid/app_process/online_app.htm

and btw, r we making an ikea run 2morrow or 1 day next week after o-week activities? i'll b in philly 4 part of the day at my lab. but can make late lunch or ikea (later). usman, what type of food were u thinking of?

Hey my name is Taryn and I was wondering if anyone needed a roomate or knew of any apartments that are available..I am coming from ocean city nj and will be taking the train for orientation so im trying to find a place as soon as possible. Also, I was unable to make the finaid 101...if anyone could send me any info please help! thanks

beachgurl said:
Hey my name is Taryn and I was wondering if anyone needed a roomate or knew of any apartments that are available..I am coming from ocean city nj and will be taking the train for orientation so im trying to find a place as soon as possible. Also, I was unable to make the finaid 101...if anyone could send me any info please help! thanks

i'll get the finaid 101 stuff 2 u once i get it from josue, 1 of the the finaid ppl. search older posts on this thread 4 comments on apts or PM me and i'll help u out whatever way i can

I know the Admissions office sent out a letter saying interview attire for the Ceremony. Since I was here for the pre-matriculation program I went by the office and asked because I was not happy about having to wear a suit or whatever. In actuality the attire is more business casual. Apparently last year students wore jeans, flip flops, shorts etc. The administration was not happy with that so this time they specified. When I asked exactly what that meant I was told shirt and maybe tie for guys and sundress or nice dress/pants for girls, NOT SUITS like in the interview. Sorry it took so long for me to post this but I completely forgot.

flick2010 said:
what's the dress-code for tomorrow?

Anyone doing anything tonight?

nice to meet everone. Did anyone buy that $15 CD with review notes during student club sales? Mine was blank :confused:

Hey, we're having a BBQ tonight starting at 5pm if anyone is interested. Public Enemy (Deb), Kevbot, and my apartment is 1152 Bibbs Road Apt 3. BYOB and BYOF - I'll cook it. Everyone is invited.

peace,
Denny

if anyone needs 2 make an ikea run, it looks like time opened up 4 me on thurs (2morrow) after orientation is done. had a meeting at upenn that got cancelled. anyways, if anyone needs/wants 2 go, just get in touch w/ me.

-betty

Stud Doc D said:
Hey, we're having a BBQ tonight starting at 5pm if anyone is interested. Public Enemy (Deb), Kevbot, and my apartment is 1152 Bibbs Road Apt 3. BYOB and BYOF - I'll cook it. Everyone is invited.

peace,
Denny

btw, hines ward b the man, esp since he represents and is proud of being half a gook (korean)

Damn, this may be late...but welcome to mothaf'in UMDNJ-SOM.

Anyone know if this is an ok place to live?

Sure is cheap!

Fountainview Village
1501 Little Gloucester Rd.
Blackwood, NJ 08012

Anyone know if this is an ok place to live?

Sure is cheap!

Fountainview Village
1501 Little Gloucester Rd.
Blackwood, NJ 08012

i dunno know this from experience but i was warned away from fountainview. its near rowen so a lot of loud college students from what i heard and i also heard there's quite a few ghetto neighbors if u know what i mean

i dunno know this from experience but i was warned away from fountainview. its near rowen so a lot of loud college students from what i heard and i also heard there's quite a few ghetto neighbors if u know what i mean

Cool thanks, I'll stay away. What about

Warwick Terrace
413 N. Warwick Rd, Somerdale

or

Willows at Barrington
1200 Clements Brige Rd Rt 41, Barrington

My dad was thinking that some of the housing down the street by CCCC might be good.

Cool thanks, I'll stay away. What about

Warwick Terrace
413 N. Warwick Rd, Somerdale

or

Willows at Barrington
1200 Clements Brige Rd Rt 41, Barrington

My dad was thinking that some of the housing down the street by CCCC might be good.

i don't know anything about those 2. warwick terrace is close 2 school and that area in general is ok but i dunno about the neighbors at either of those places. i feel like i heard sth bad about willows last yr but 4 some reason, can't remember exactly. i've always called up police stations whenever i've moved and asked them specifically about complexes i was interested in...asking them if they'd let their daughter live in so and so place alone? though i remember lindenwold police last yr weren't allowed 2 tell me anything cuz they had trouble w/ a complex a while back when a manager from there was pretending 2 b a student in the same situation and when the police person bad mouthed their complex, they gave them alot of trouble. so they don't tell u anymore but other township police stations might...better 2 know if u have ghetto neighbors up front. not sure if the area near CCCC would b the best idea since u'll have alot of loud partying college students prob in the same complexes.

well, umdnj-som's still alive and kickin' aint it??? you'll never know bro. just here to help