>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey folks,

I'll be moving in on the 15th of july as well at the Village and I can't wait to meet up with you guys. I was hoping the YMCA or parks nearby had tennis courts, a few baseball fields (does anyone know? i need at least one day of sports or i'll turn into a bitter bitter person) and if anyone wants to lift during the week i'm up for it.

-usman

Members don't see this ad.

Count me in bro. Im hoping that the YMCA will let us lift. I havent had two weeks off in over 8 years(not counting mcat studying last summer) and I would go crazy not being able to lift. I might even <gasp> have to resort to doing cardio of some sort lol

gotgame83 said:
Count me in bro. Im hoping that the YMCA will let us lift. I havent had two weeks off in over 8 years(not counting mcat studying last summer) and I would go crazy not being able to lift. I might even <gasp> have to resort to doing cardio of some sort lol

haha, cardio <shudders>. sounds good to me man.

-usman

Members don't see this ad :)
YMCA is located very close to Echelon Glen and Village

Village has tennis courts for residents, public tennis/bball courts available next to soccer field of echelon glen

there's another set of tennis courts and a softball field and bball courts behind the Hampton Inn.

-J

Whats going on! I just got my blood results back and it says im not immune to Hep B! Thats ridiculous, I had all my shots and its documented. Im waiting on my doctors call now but SOM better not tell me I cant do stuff because of it.

I dont have my health packet with me(its at the doctors office) but does anyone know the contact information for the person listed on our packets?

Disregard the last Post, OMMfan is great and just sent me the number.

If your titers show you are not immune then you have to be re-immunized. Some people need to have it done three or more times before they build the antibodies. You know it is for your own good so just do eeeeeeet!

Haha. yea i had to start those shots up today. I am going to try to just do a booster and get retested. I think shots are so bad when your a kid because you have like no muscle on you. They used to just jab it in there and 1/2 inch later I could have sworn it was hiting my bone lol or maybe im just really tough now!! (yea probably not)

Nate said:
I think you will need to retake the MCAT, good luck.
I got in with lower MCATS and was in top 3% of my class (guess I had a chip on my shoulder about the whole MCAT thing). Any that prob taking the best of my scores taking it three times.

Though I did have high gpa. Again over and over stat just get you the interview. You come off bad in the interview and it will not matter who you are or what numbers you have you will not get in. That is from a UMDNJ source.

That why I love they concept of considering the whole person and surrounding circumstances of his/her life exp.

does UMDNJ-SOM tell all applicants to do a secondary or does it do any screening based on g.p.a and/or MCAT?

Hey Brodaiga-
I just put a deposit in for Lakeview too. I'm moving in on July 14. I'll be down there starting Saturday though for the Pre-matriculation program. When are you moving? Do you know your apt number yet?

I haven't been on SDN in quite some time, but I thought I'd welcome the Class of 2010. Good to see the likes of Nate and PublicEnemy advising you guys. Not to mention the good DOctorJay. Enjoy your summer, and don't stress yourselves out before the work actually begins.

On a shameless side note, if any of you are planning on signing a lease at the Village and have a burning desire to save me a couple hundred bucks via referral, by all means PM me.

We look forward to working with you all, and hopefully living up to the standards of second-year generosity established by the Class of 2008.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey polina,

you still in Kingsorw? I am moving in on July 1st! i dropped out of Stonington Court, damn new management kept giving me the run-around, being evasive. It became annoying. Can't wait to see everyone and start school...despite of the UMDNJ craziness that I read on other posts. I am sure it will be cleared up!

J9

ppormansdoormd said:
does UMDNJ-SOM tell all applicants to do a secondary or does it do any screening based on g.p.a and/or MCAT?

can someone answer this?

I cant remember about the secondary, however you can get it off the website and send it in as soon as you complete ur application. I know they do use some scores for inviting you to come interview based on gpa and mcat and maybe some other things.

just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. just got off the WL 3 weeks ago and feel like i'm playing catch up now. seems like everyone already knows each other. i stupidly thought that i could live at home 2 save money since i grew up in the hill and came back 2 my parent's place after grad school...but def not now. i looked thru everyone's old posts and it seems most ppl r living in the village, echelon glen, stonington, the landings, and kingsrow. since u's have done this already, can u warn me which places on the apt list from umdnj r ghetto holes 2 def stay away from? thx. pls recommend if u know of any pet (cats) friendly places as well that don't have outrageous pet deposits/rents and don't require declawing which is cruel, since u're cutting off the cat's 1st knuckle/joint.

also, if anyone is interested in the 2006 class match list, i have that and can email it 2 u - dunno if they sent it 2 everyone since i specifically asked 4 it.

peace out and thx in advance.

I am pretty sure the secondary is given to everyone who applies, call admissions to be sure.

Echelon Glen allows clawed cats, i think they charge me 25$ pet rent a month though and the deposit was more.

the alchemist said:
just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. just got off the WL 3 weeks ago and feel like i'm playing catch up now. seems like everyone already knows each other. i stupidly thought that i could live at home 2 save money since i grew up in the hill and came back 2 my parent's place after grad school...but def not now. i looked thru everyone's old posts and it seems most ppl r living in the village, echelon glen, stonington, the landings, and kingsrow. since u's have done this already, can u warn me which places on the apt list from umdnj r ghetto holes 2 def stay away from? thx. pls recommend if u know of any pet (cats) friendly places as well that don't have outrageous pet deposits/rents and don't require declawing which is cruel, since u're cutting off the cat's 1st knuckle/joint.

also, if anyone is interested in the 2006 class match list, i have that and can email it 2 u - dunno if they sent it 2 everyone since i specifically asked 4 it.

peace out and thx in advance.

I am not form NJ, so I don’t know which areas are ghetto, but I do know that car insurance differs dramatically depending on the zip code. Here are some pet friendly apartments where your cat can have his/her claws:

Charlet Gardens has an initial pet fee of $250 (not sure if it’s refundable) and a monthly fee of $25.

The Landings at Pine Lake has an initial pet fee of $300 (refundable) and a monthly fee of $25.

The village has an initial pet fee of $200 (not sure if it’s refundable), but no monthly fee.

Psychopimp said:
I am not form NJ, so I don’t know which areas are ghetto, but I do know that car insurance differs dramatically depending on the zip code. Here are some pet friendly apartments where your cat can have his/her claws:

Charlet Gardens has an initial pet fee of $250 (not sure if it’s refundable) and a monthly fee of $25.

The Landings at Pine Lake has an initial pet fee of $300 (refundable) and a monthly fee of $25.

The village has an initial pet fee of $200 (not sure if it’s refundable), but no monthly fee.

mil gracias psychopimp. damn, these complexes make some moolah off us pet lovers. i wonder if its cheaper 2 have my car insurance from the hill (08003) or an apt near school. i noticed that soma sent sth saying that we get a discount from geico (who is my insurer) and will look into that. r u living at any of these apts? here's maya and soho (though he's much bigger now, those were from 1 yr ago), and no soho is not named after the SOuth of HOuston area of nyc
http://static.flickr.com/46/167482883_76efaad75f.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/62/167484117_6e0ce0ff29.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/57/167484118_7df0f9ac6a.jpg

alchemist, welcome. 08003? you're from the hill? so am i. lovely "dreary hill" what highschool? what year? congrats.

PublicEnemy said:
alchemist, welcome. 08003? you're from the hill? so am i. lovely "dreary hill" what highschool? what year? congrats.

cherry hill high school east class of 1991 (yes, i am an old non-trad). i'm betting u're much younger. thx 4 the welcome PE. i used 2 b into their music during college. so where'd u go 2 HS?

the alchemist said:
cherry hill high school east class of 1991 (yes, i am an old non-trad). i'm betting u're much younger. thx 4 the welcome PE. i used 2 b into their music during college.

I live in lakeview, big apts and nice area close to school. pet fee is $100 and $16 extra per month. Could you please send the match list to [email protected]

the alchemist said:
mil gracias psychopimp. damn, these complexes make some moolah off us pet lovers. i wonder if its cheaper 2 have my car insurance from the hill (08003) or an apt near school. i noticed that soma sent sth saying that we get a discount from geico (who is my insurer) and will look into that. r u living at any of these apts? here's maya and soho (though he's much bigger now, those were from 1 yr ago), and no soho is not named after the SOuth of HOuston area of nyc
http://static.flickr.com/46/167482883_76efaad75f.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/62/167484117_6e0ce0ff29.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/57/167484118_7df0f9ac6a.jpg

I am goign to be living at the landings.

the alchemist said:
cherry hill high school east class of 1991 (yes, i am an old non-trad). i'm betting u're much younger. thx 4 the welcome PE. i used 2 b into their music during college. so where'd u go 2 HS?

nice, fellow east alum. class of 99 here. welcome. there are a small handful of us here.

As some of you may already know last week I got off the waitlist at NJMS. Since that time I have had to do a lot of thinking and it has been very stressful. I have had to weigh in a lot of factors. SOM is an amazing school which has some great people to whom I owe a lot to. Nate and DOcterjay have been great with advice and help throughout this entire process. Kevbot helped critique my amcas personal statement even though he doesnt remember. Polina is a great person and im sure she is going to excel at downstate. OMMfan- wow, SOM you have no idea whats in store for u with this shorty :laugh: Rana you better learn some good shoulder OMM. And thank you to all the people who i didnt just mention. You have all been great and SOM is truely a big family. I expect to keep in touch with many of you and wish everyone the best of luck. I will be coming down to SOM often to visit as a VERY good friend of mine, Kristine, who will be attending the masters program there. I hope everyone will look out for her and she is a future SOM class of 2011 hopeful. In the end i feel the NJMS is the better place for me. I hope everyone will keep in touch and if anyone knows of any housing(or roomate) by the newark area send a PM this way.

I sent in my deposit for NJMS today and I will be calling SOM on monday to withdraw. I hope this will open up a spot for someone on the waitlist.
Once again, thanks everyone and I hope to see everyone around.

~Mike

Hey Mike,

Our loss is NJMS's gain! Congratulations on your acceptance. Good luck up there and keep in touch! Be sure to visit us and your VERY good friend early and often. ;)

All the best,

OMMFan

Hi All,

Was wondering if anyone here was looking for roommate or know someone who is in the fall... I'll be doing the MBS program and hopefully the DO program next year. :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hey, everyone. june 18, 2006. i think it's time to accept the fact that i'm not getting taken off any of these damn waitlists. UMDNJ - SOM it is. now don't get me wrong... i LOVE the school. visited twice, and enjoyed my time equally as much. i was at the new student reception, and everyone i met seemed amazing. just thought i'd formally introduce myself to the group; can't wait to meet everyone. :)

-ralph b.

Hi all!
So we're getting closer and closer...
I'm moving July 15th, and being from Chicago, I don't know the area at all! So I was wondering who would be around and if anyone wanted to help me explore and learn where things were before classes started.

Can't wait to meet you all!

csox84 said:
Hi all!
So we're getting closer and closer...
I'm moving July 15th, and being from Chicago, I don't know the area at all! So I was wondering who would be around and if anyone wanted to help me explore and learn where things were before classes started.

Can't wait to meet you all!

Hi, Chicago! I'm from Northern New Jersey, and as most other people from in-state would agree, North and South jersey are two different states. I may need to join you in the exploration!!! Ha ha.

flick2010 said:
Hi, Chicago! I'm from Northern New Jersey, and as most other people from in-state would agree, North and South jersey are two different states. I may need to join you in the exploration!!! Ha ha.

i went 2 high school at cherry hill east so i've been living in the area since 1988 (with the exception of college in chicago and grad school in boston and a couple of years in korea) and can maybe help if u have specific questions about south jersey and philly. i dunno that much about philly night life though since i spent my productive party years in chicago/boston and where i hung out during high school in philly doesn't count. but i can take u 2 a damn good chinese restaurant in chinatown that's open til 2 am on weekdays 4 study break runs - its where the chinatown locals go but now its more a mixed crowd since it got written up in the newspaper and is no longer only our secret hole in the wall anymore. if u need info on voorhees/marlton/cherry hill, etc esp about shopping or restaurants (the usual suburban, like where's the target) things, i can help u with that.

i should add that i did my undergrad in philly. i know that area VERY well. i forget how close we are!!!

I probably won’t be down until the white coat ceremony. I’m hoping to meet everyone during orientation though. I'm really looking forward to it. I heard there’s a lot of parties and activities the first week, which is a definite plus. I also may need someone to show me around a bit once I get moved in. I wonder how people find out about the parties and everything going on the first week. I guess someone will fill us in when we get there.

-Chris

Scorcher31 said:
I probably won’t be down until the white coat ceremony. I’m hoping to meet everyone during orientation though. I'm really looking forward to it. I heard there’s a lot of parties and activities the first week, which is a definite plus. I also may need someone to show me around a bit once I get moved in. I wonder how people find out about the parties and everything going on the first week. I guess someone will fill us in when we get there.

-Chris

It's fairly easy to get acclimated with South Jersey...you can always ask us second years for recommendations, directions, etc. though I'm sure many of you will figure most of it out on your own. Having spent 6 years in north Jersey between undergrad and grad schools, I completely agree with the earlier assertion that the two halves of the state are worlds apart. As for parties and orientation week activities, don't you worry, you'll be well aware of everything that is going down. Enjoy the Summer.

You will all be paired up to one of us second years as a "big brother or sister", please use us! I am sure many of us are willing to show you around and tell you what we know of the area and the school. If your “big” sucks then ask one of us here to adopt you, I am sure Kevbot, PublicEnemy, Ornis, or myself would be more than willing to help any way that we can. As soon as you know who your “big” is contact them.

I will be down at the beginning of July! I'll definitely be up for exploring South Jersey... see you soon! Oh - and if anyone knows of World Cup parties or good places to watch the games down there or in Philly let me know - Amy

just echoing some of the sentiments already addressed. definitely feel free to hit us up for any advice on where to go where things are down here. i'm from cherry hill, so i know the area well also.

chicago was a great time, fun city, did my undergrad there.

we're in the process of planning some really fun events and activities for your orientation week.

as for world cup parties, we have one basically everyday at our place. if you're around, you're more than welcome to come. we're planning to have a bunch of people for the world cup final.

Ralph I might have to shift into using myspace, facebook isn’t going to cut it for medschool anymore. I’m hoping though that when I get my umdnj portal password that portal has a social aspect to it to (more than just grades etc) where students have to ability to post in a certain section what’s going on for the weekend, useful resources for class, get togethers, etc. I really know nothing about portal yet so I can't say, but I'd imagine it would be convenient because all of us are going to have it. However, a quick myspace account with an email, number, screenname and picture, is starting to sounds like a good idea too.

-Chris

Chris, facebook went out with college. Myspace is the latest fad; everyone's doing it.

flick2010 said:
Chris, facebook went out with college. Myspace is the latest fad; everyone's doing it.

haha nice. I decided to finally give into myspace, though i've been completely addicted to facebook through college.
~Chris

I saw Nate smile once and lived to tell the tale. Everyone else in the immediate vicinity got turned into a pillar of salt, though.

Do any of the apt complexes have covered parking? If not, how long does it take you guys to get enough snow off your car to drive to school?

Also, does anyone know the penalty for breaking a lease in NJ? Here in CA we have to give 30 days notice, but in NJ I wonder if I would be liable for the rest of the year's rent if, say, I want to move out of my apt at the end of our first year of school.

Echelon has covered parking but it costs more (I think it's like $35/mo). It really doesn't snow enough here to make it worth it IMHO but I'm from CT where it snows a lot more.

I just wanted to say “hello” to my future Class of 2010 comrades...I have been on this message board for some time but have failed to speak up.

My husband and I will be moving into the Village at Voorhees July 15th – anybody else living there? Also, anyone currently in the Manhattan area? I live and work in midtown and feel so removed from everyone already in Jersey.

Can’t wait to meet all of you!

-Nicole

I can't believe we will be starting so soon! I think I'm going to be living in the Village...it's so expensive...does anyone know if it is worth it?