>>>>UMDNJ-SOM Class of 2010!!!!<<<<

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

So who else got a big yellow envelope today with our class picture lol.I cant believe they actually send us copies of it.....feels like we are back in elementary school but a very nice touch on their part :) arent we just all so special! Also....there are only a total of 22 guys in the picture! Something is wrong this...maybe im not going to the right school lol

-Polina

Members don't see this ad.

Or maybe I AM going to the right school :) I also received my financial aid award letter today.

Does anyone know when or if there will be waitlist movement this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if anyone knew much about the laptop requirements for incoming students. I am interested in a Mac but the website says Windows is necessary. Is this true? Would anything the school provides be compatible with Macs?

Hi everyone, I'm currently on the waiting list, but very hopefull that I will be joining the class. does anyone know what percentage of the last year's class was pulled off the waiting list?

One of the students i talked with at accepted students day said that the school's computer requirements are not true guidelines, but more suggestions. she said that it was really more personal choice, and how you like to take notes, but i am not sure about macs vs pc....

so what does everyone think about our very famous school... i guess all news is good news :)

elb1223 said:
I was wondering if anyone knew much about the laptop requirements for incoming students. I am interested in a Mac but the website says Windows is necessary. Is this true? Would anything the school provides be compatible with Macs?

In which sense is our school famous? did i miss something?

Polinar1021 said:

maybe the recent umdnj scandals

elb1223 said:

you can still get an intel based mac and using bootcamp software, dual boot windows and OS X. The bootcamp software will also be a default feature of Leopard (the next version of OS X) but that will not be out until January I believe unless there is a delay but either way, the software is there NOW. Furthermore, you can get an educational discount to save you another 100 or so dollars from a macbook and a little more on the macbook pro

Question for someone in the know @ UMDNJ-SOM: I'm in the post bacc program at Drexel (bio, orgo, phys, chem). My buddy somehow got rejected for linkage to UMDNJ-SOM's incoming fall class (before his April MCAT got scored) even though he got a 4.0 in the Drexel program and a 3.3 at his undergraduate institution. I'm just a little perplexed by this. He just called to tell me he got his rejection letter. I know there's more than just grades that go into it, but rejecting someone with a 3.3 and a 4.0 for this supposed "linkage" before you even get their MCAT scores? I withdrew post-secondary to UMDNJ-SOM due to an illness during MCAT time and planned to reapply next year with a slew of allo and other osteo schools, but I smell a rat with this "linkage" thing - from Drexel's end, not UMDNJ's.

I know there's a UMDNJ guy on here who seems to answer everyone's questions. According to our Drexel program, UMDNJ-SOM reserves (at most) 4-5 seats in their upcoming class for those who finish the Drexel Evening Post Bacc Premed program. My classmates and I did a little undercover work and suspect there is in fact no linkage b/w our program and UMDNJ-SOM, b/c the admissions women told me on the phone 2 months ago that they were only "in the process of coming to a linkage agreement with Drexel and we were just allowed to apply late" According to our advisor (a huge *****, by the way) there was definitely a linkage and that at at most 5 spots were saved for us, but they didn't have to take any. 'Thing is, it seems like from reading this forum UMDNJ's class has been filled up for a while. Anyone want to clue me in here? Does this sound fishy to anyone else, or am I on crack again.

definitely strange. All I know is there are at least 4 (could be one more but I'm positive of 4) Drexel post-baccs in my class.

class isn't final til classes begin. we had a student accepted THE day of orientation.

DOctorJay said:
definitely strange. All I know is there are at least 4 (could be one more but I'm positive of 4) Drexel post-baccs in my class.

class isn't final til classes begin. we had a student accepted THE day of orientation.

Those are Drexel IMS/MSP people. We were from the Post Bacc Premed Program. Its for people with good academic records who haven't taken their prereq's yet (orgo, chem, bio, phys), and people with 4.0's and good undergrad transcripts are getting rejection letters before UMDNJ even sees these April MCAT scores.

yea... I guess i've just been reading about the scandal in the paper and i was wondering what all of the current students thought...

Polinar1021 said:

Members don't see this ad :)
yea... I guess i've just been reading about the scandal in the paper and i was wondering what all of the current students thought...

anyways... i can't wait to get down to south jersey - i am probably moving in july 15th - see you all soon!

Polinar1021 said:

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a rising second year, and President of the Class of 2009. I want to congratulate you all on your acceptance to UMDNJ-SOM, and congratulations on choosing to attend. You should be very proud of your decision. With just a shade over 2 months till you get started, I encourage you all to relax and enjoy your summer, but feel free to ask myself, Nate, Dr. J and anyone else on here any questions you may have.

You will all be receiving some mail from me shortly which will include a survey and information regarding how we have a Big Bro/Sis program where we are going to match you up with someone in our class. Your Big Bro/Sis is going to hook you up with lots of info, books, study guides, old exams, etc. As a class council, we are also in the process of putting together for you guys a compilation of the best study materials and tips and helpful strategies to help you get through first year. Get excited, we're also going to have some great activities for you during orientation week and beyond.

Once again, I congratulate you, and welcome you to SOM, and I look forward to meeting you all.

-DK

hey, there really has not been any kind of official linkage program in the past, though perhaps they may be in the process of establishing one. the admissions committee however does look very favorably upon the drexel progam and in the past has even encouraged students seeking admission to consider the drexel program as preparation.

it seems every year there are a handful of drexel kids that end up here. there are at least 5 in my class, class of 2009. so to both you and your friend, i would not worry at all, i think you both should not have trouble securing admission here when you do apply assuming everything else is in order and you can show to the committee that you really want to be here.

hope this helps. if you have any questions, feel free to hit me up.

rpost3 said:
Question for someone in the know @ UMDNJ-SOM: I'm in the post bacc program at Drexel (bio, orgo, phys, chem). My buddy somehow got rejected for linkage to UMDNJ-SOM's incoming fall class (before his April MCAT got scored) even though he got a 4.0 in the Drexel program and a 3.3 at his undergraduate institution. I'm just a little perplexed by this. He just called to tell me he got his rejection letter. I know there's more than just grades that go into it, but rejecting someone with a 3.3 and a 4.0 for this supposed "linkage" before you even get their MCAT scores? I withdrew post-secondary to UMDNJ-SOM due to an illness during MCAT time and planned to reapply next year with a slew of allo and other osteo schools, but I smell a rat with this "linkage" thing - from Drexel's end, not UMDNJ's.

I know there's a UMDNJ guy on here who seems to answer everyone's questions. According to our Drexel program, UMDNJ-SOM reserves (at most) 4-5 seats in their upcoming class for those who finish the Drexel Evening Post Bacc Premed program. My classmates and I did a little undercover work and suspect there is in fact no linkage b/w our program and UMDNJ-SOM, b/c the admissions women told me on the phone 2 months ago that they were only "in the process of coming to a linkage agreement with Drexel and we were just allowed to apply late" According to our advisor (a huge *****, by the way) there was definitely a linkage and that at at most 5 spots were saved for us, but they didn't have to take any. 'Thing is, it seems like from reading this forum UMDNJ's class has been filled up for a while. Anyone want to clue me in here? Does this sound fishy to anyone else, or am I on crack again.

PublicEnemy said:
hey, there really has not been any kind of official linkage program in the past, though perhaps they may be in the process of establishing one. the admissions committee however does look very favorably upon the drexel progam and in the past has even encouraged students seeking admission to consider the drexel program as preparation.

it seems every year there are a handful of drexel kids that end up here. there are at least 5 in my class, class of 2009. so to both you and your friend, i would not worry at all, i think you both should not have trouble securing admission here when you do apply assuming everything else is in order and you can show to the committee that you really want to be here.

hope this helps. if you have any questions, feel free to hit me up.

So Drexel lied to us. People moved here from all over the country b/c of these supposed UMDNJ "linkages" that allows us to take the April MCAT and then go straight to SOM in the fall, and it doesn't even exist? I could have just stayed in Pittsburgh, paid state school tuitioin to take my prereq's, and $500 less a month in rent, taxes, and parking to attend a program that doesn't advertise having 4 linkage spots with UMDNJ-SOM when they really don't have any agreement for SOM to reserve any spots. My buddy could have stayed at Mississippi State. My other buddy could have taken his at Stoney Brook University with state tuition while living at home on Long Island. The linkages are the only reason anyone does this program, because you can take orgo, chem, physics, and bio at any accredited school in the nation. These "linkages" are the big draw. OK, I better quit typing, but this is a bunch of **** that I'm definitely getting to the bottom of.

Polinar1021 said:
Hey everyone,

So who else got a big yellow envelope today with our class picture lol.I cant believe they actually send us copies of it.....feels like we are back in elementary school but a very nice touch on their part :) arent we just all so special! Also....there are only a total of 22 guys in the picture! Something is wrong this...maybe im not going to the right school lol

-Polina

Yay:)...I also got my beautiful picture and thought the same thing! Still waiting on fin aid. Getting more excited by the day. See everyone soon!

I will definitely look into this as well. I know that they do accept late AACOMAS applications and they sometimes allow or wait for April MCAT scores to make a decision for the entering class that year, so its very possible that some kind of arrangement does exists whereby qualified people are allowed to apply. I will definitely find out more about this. I know UMDNJ-RWJ has this type of arrangement with the Penn Special Sciences program, where people who do really well are allowed to apply to RWJ in May for admission that year, bypassing a lag year.

rpost3 said:
So Drexel lied to us. People moved here from all over the country b/c of these supposed UMDNJ "linkages" that allows us to take the April MCAT and then go straight to SOM in the fall, and it doesn't even exist? I could have just stayed in Pittsburgh, paid state school tuitioin to take my prereq's, and $500 less a month in rent, taxes, and parking to attend a program that doesn't advertise having 4 linkage spots with UMDNJ-SOM when they really don't have any agreement for SOM to reserve any spots. My buddy could have stayed at Mississippi State. My other buddy could have taken his at Stoney Brook University with state tuition while living at home on Long Island. The linkages are the only reason anyone does this program, because you can take orgo, chem, physics, and bio at any accredited school in the nation. These "linkages" are the big draw. OK, I better quit typing, but this is a bunch of **** that I'm definitely getting to the bottom of.

PublicEnemy said:
I will definitely look into this as well. I know that they do accept late AACOMAS applications and they sometimes allow or wait for April MCAT scores to make a decision for the entering class that year, so its very possible that some kind of arrangement does exists whereby qualified people are allowed to apply. I will definitely find out more about this. I know UMDNJ-RWJ has this type of arrangement with the Penn Special Sciences program, where people who do really well are allowed to apply to RWJ in May for admission that year, bypassing a lag year.

Students in my program were allowed to apply late via AACOMA, but our incomeptent program director sent out an email giving us 2 days before UMDNJ's deadline to do so (this being way past the original UMDNJ AACOMA deadline), so only a couple students were able to apply, and people were furious because they didn't even find out about the deadline until it passed. People who did apply in time were rejected without even being put on the waitlist before their MCAT scores even came in, even if they got a 4.0 in the program. This is leading us to believe our program director lied about SOM reserving spots for us when in actuality, they just let us apply way past the deadline for the few spots that are left, and classmates are talking about attorneys now. Our program director was always talking about "finalizing the contract with PCOM and SOM." She botched the PCOM linkage all togather, which pissed me off enough, and apparently she never got a real linkage for UMDNJ either, but told us she did. I'll call Paula myself and get to the bottom of this.

Does anyone know if the specific course schedule for the class of 2010 has been posted? There is a bunch of information about the new curriculum here:
http://som.umdnj.edu/education/academic_program/undergrad/3c/index.html
I'm glad most of the new curriculum will be implemented and would like to see more specifics!

Also, will UMDNJ be releasing a new education handbook for this year's incoming class? The current one is labeled 2004-2006 but still has a message from the former dean. I want to make sure I'm reading the right one.

I can't do the pre-matric program, but I wonder if there's any way to "study alongside" the pre-matric people. I spoke with Jackie Giacobbe and she suggested I study some histo, medical biochem, and physio before matriculating. I picked up a few of the recommended books and wonder if it's really necessary for me to plow through every chapter or whether there is a good way to focus my learning and review.

Finally, sorry if this topic has been done to death on SDN, but can anyone recommend their favorite laptop that meets the school requirements? I used to love my IBM ThinkPad Mini (you could hide it under a piece of paper!) but have since grown to adore my middle-aged iBook. From what I've read, a Mac isn't compatible w/the requirements without using Boot Camp -- I wonder if mine might be too old for this, but will anyone be doing this w/their Macs?

Thanks for any tips you guys can offer (and thanks for all the housing tips so far!). I can't wait to meet you all this summer!

OMMFan said:
Does anyone know if the specific course schedule for the class of 2010 has been posted? There is a bunch of information about the new curriculum here:
http://som.umdnj.edu/education/academic_program/undergrad/3c/index.html
I'm glad most of the new curriculum will be implemented and would like to see more specifics!

Also, will UMDNJ be releasing a new education handbook for this year's incoming class? The current one is labeled 2004-2006 but still has a message from the former dean. I want to make sure I'm reading the right one.

I can't do the pre-matric program, but I wonder if there's any way to "study alongside" the pre-matric people. I spoke with Jackie Giacobbe and she suggested I study some histo, medical biochem, and physio before matriculating. I picked up a few of the recommended books and wonder if it's really necessary for me to plow through every chapter or whether there is a good way to focus my learning and review.

Finally, sorry if this topic has been done to death on SDN, but can anyone recommend their favorite laptop that meets the school requirements? I used to love my IBM ThinkPad Mini (you could hide it under a piece of paper!) but have since grown to adore my middle-aged iBook. From what I've read, a Mac isn't compatible w/the requirements without using Boot Camp -- I wonder if mine might be too old for this, but will anyone be doing this w/their Macs?

Thanks for any tips you guys can offer (and thanks for all the housing tips so far!). I can't wait to meet you all this summer!

I really don't think anyone should be studying before 1st year, but if you have to, you can check out BRS Board Review Series for Physio and Biochem. Or get a Netters and start reveiwing the anatomy of the spine which will help you not only in Anatomy but OMM as well.

As far as laptops, check out the Dell Inspiron 600m. That's the one that many of us have.

And now for the shameless plug: A rising 2nd year, Rachel, has one room available for anyone interested. She lives in Timber Ridge and her apartment is really nice and already furnished. PM me if interested and I'll refer you her number/e-mail.

Ya, I don't particularly want to spend my summer studying, either (that's what med school is for!) but I graduated 3.5 years ago and feel like some of the basic science material has faded. I was a competent science major, so some of it is ingrained in my brain, but I know I could use a physio review. Another DO student recommended I get a head start on spine and brain anatomy, so it looks like I'll at least do that. Thanks for the tips!

DONT STUDY!! Oh cmon, enjoy ur summer. I will be on ebay pretty soon to get some little outdated USMLE stuff which i will start to go over with my classes however I wont even open them until school starts. And OMMfan, I just find ur avatar hilarious, you just look like a VERY happy person lol.

gotgame83 said:
DONT STUDY!! Oh cmon, enjoy ur summer. I will be on ebay pretty soon to get some little outdated USMLE stuff which i will start to go over with my classes however I wont even open them until school starts. And OMMfan, I just find ur avatar hilarious, you just look like a VERY happy person lol.

Ya, I like to smile and laugh a lot b/c otherwise I get waaaay too serious about life. Okay, thanks to peer pressure from you and Kevbot I'll definitely enjoy my summer! You've got me beat -- I hadn't even thought about getting old USMLE prep materials yet! I wonder if the 2nd years will want to get rid of theirs...

we've got TONS of crap for boards so before buying anything, talk to us!

-J

back to studying for BOARDS

When are u taking them Jay? And best of luck bro, uve been a great help with everything.

OMMFan said:
Ya, I like to smile and laugh a lot b/c otherwise I get waaaay too serious about life. Okay, thanks to peer pressure from you and Kevbot I'll definitely enjoy my summer! You've got me beat -- I hadn't even thought about getting old USMLE prep materials yet! I wonder if the 2nd years will want to get rid of theirs...

Ha, good ive gotten you to enjoy ur summer and I have gotten Polina not to do prematric and relax. I hear the 2nd years are very helpful when it comes to prep materials, and i also have a few things which I have acquired from various SDN members which will be very useful and I will make copies of for you.

Ha ha, you're not even a doc yet and you're already devoting your life to helping others like me and Polina! Thanks for the copies of that very useful stuff. I will rest easy this summer knowing everything will be taken care of in due time.

Hey guys, yeah don't sweat it, we're going to hook you guys up. You'll get old exams, review sheets, study guides, mp3's of old lectures, books, the works.

As far as studying right now, in my opinion, regardless of your background, you really don't need any special advanced preparation. Prematric is a nice program and a good opportunity, but if you're not doing it, don't worry. Your first year will start off at a very reasonable pace, and you'll have plenty of time to acclimate to the amount and type of material.

Enjoy the next 2 months! Do all of you know where you're living? If you guys need any help with anything, any questions, want a tour of the area, etc, feel free to hit any of us up.

KalicoKat said:
Does anyone know when or if there will be waitlist movement this year?

the WL has started 2 move. i got a call last wed from paula watkins saying i was next on the WL and they were anticipating someone dropping, then she called again on thurs 2 say that i was officially accepted and i got the fed-ex packet by fri...and now i have 2 weeks 2 decide. but i've been told that most of the WL movement is in june/july and sometimes even til the day of the white ceremony.

gotgame83 said:
Ha, good ive gotten you to enjoy ur summer and I have gotten Polina not to do prematric and relax. I hear the 2nd years are very helpful when it comes to prep materials, and i also have a few things which I have acquired from various SDN members which will be very useful and I will make copies of for you.

I completely agree with you! and I'm so glad you got them to enjoy their summer :)
I haven't had a summer in a loooong time so I know I'm enjoying it while it's still here!

the alchemist said:
the WL has started 2 move. i got a call last wed from paula watkins saying i was next on the WL and they were anticipating someone dropping, then she called again on thurs 2 say that i was officially accepted and i got the fed-ex packet by fri...and now i have 2 weeks 2 decide. but i've been told that most of the WL movement is in june/july and sometimes even til the day of the white ceremony.

Congratulations on your acceptance. :cool:

the alchemist said:

congratulations on your acceptance, I am also on the WL and was woundering if you don't mind sharing your stats and what you did when you were put on the WL, or what you think would help to get off the WL. so have you decided if you are going to accept the seat?

Did anyone get their physical yet? Its ridiculous, i feel so old. I guess actually getting chicken pox is the old way of doing things and now i have to have a titer to prove it. Not to mention UMDNJ doesnt trust immunizations so you have to have all the hep B tests done. Sorry, im just got back from having a bunch of vials of blood taken and im a little light headed while typing this. Is it also now standard procedure to do TWO TB tests spaced out by about 2-4 weeks?

gotgame83 said:
Did anyone get their physical yet? Its ridiculous, i feel so old. I guess actually getting chicken pox is the old way of doing things and now i have to have a titer to prove it. Not to mention UMDNJ doesnt trust immunizations so you have to have all the hep B tests done. Sorry, im just got back from having a bunch of vials of blood taken and im a little light headed while typing this. Is it also now standard procedure to do TWO TB tests spaced out by about 2-4 weeks?

I haven't had a physical since high school (and i'm yet to schedule one) but when i volunteered at rwj they had me take 2 tb shots spaced out by 1 month.

-usman

Well then i guess im cutting it kinda close because the form has to be into SOM by july 1st. Thanks for the reply though, I thought SOM was just being cruel and unusual lol

oh crap, its due by july 1st? i better get on that stuff...thanks for the heads up.

uchoudhr said:
oh crap, its due by july 1st? i better get on that stuff...thanks for the heads up.

I heard that if you don't get it in by july 1st they triple your tuition and you have to take the MCAT over. ;)

Kevbot said:
I heard that if you don't get it in by july 1st they triple your tuition and you have to take the MCAT over. ;)

Haha

gotgame83 said:

ha ha - i agree completely, especially since two tbs equals four visits - :-(, does anyone else think it's weird to not get the chicken pox anymore, i was talking with a 10-year old and told her I had to prove I had the chicken pox, and she couldn't believe that i had the chicken pox... she looked at me like I was 90 (for the record, 23 :) )

What the heck! This is getting to be a bit much. I thought he was a really good guy and I only heard good things about him. Can anyone shed anymore light on this other then what the star ledger had to say? Who is taking his place? This is pretty serious for a friend of mine. Wallace had promised her a few things about her application this past year and hes the one she has been communicating with. Not good.

Is Shambra Hines gone too? The lady in the admissions office said that Shambra wont be in for a while and she cant tell me about when she will be back...

Hey everyone, I would like to start off by saying I will be glad to address any specific questions or concerns anyone has on an individual basis, so feel free to message me.

What i can tell you, is that there is going to be a lot of information that comes out in the upcoming days, including the departure of Dr. wallace from the university. There will likely be specific reports and details that may be confusing and may not altogether sound pleasing, however the university is taking swift action to address all concerns.

According to Dean Cavalieri, Dr. Krueger, the current assistant dean for education and curriculum will for now, be taking on the roles of dean of academic and student affairs and admissions.

I can personally assure you that as incoming students and current students alike, while its perfectly reasonable to be concerned with your school, you do not need to worry or panic at this time, as any changes will not affect your status, and the quality of your education. Under the extremely capable leadership of Dean Cavalieri and Dean Krueger, any concerns will be addressed swiftly and we'll be fine.

As class representatives, we'll do our part to continue to represent your concerns and keep you completely informed of anything and everything thats going on.

Is anyone here moving from the other side of the country? How do you plan to get your stuff to NJ? I'm looking at moving options and wonder what others have chosen. So far, a Penske truck with a car carrier or shipping my car and using a "you pack, we drive" outfit seem like the best options. The first option seems pretty expensive, but the last time I moved across the country I fit everything in my car.

For everyone who has found housing, did you need to produce a copy of the financial aid award before signing a lease? I haven't gotten mine yet, and it looks like I'll need to fly out to find a place before I roll into town with my things. I'm wary of renting a place without seeing it first!

I needed a copy of my financial aid award letter for Echelon Glenn. Since I hadnt received it at the time of my application I had to contact SOM and they mailed Echelon Glen a signed letter stating the amount that I will be receiving.

gotgame83 said:
I needed a copy of my financial aid award letter for Echelon Glenn. Since I hadnt received it at the time of my application I had to contact SOM and they mailed Echelon Glen a signed letter stating the amount that I will be receiving.

Hi,

I just found out I"ll be in the Landings (107) stop by (Melissa and I will probably be moving around july 1). They asked us to show some proof that we were students (acceptance letter), and said when we recieve the financial aid letter to show it to them immedieatly.
-Amy

Im moving in July 15th to Echelon, so whats that i hear, theres a party on July 15th at 107 in the landings lol Im pretty sure theres a party going on from july 15- july 30th at Polinas too.

I know we all get free membership to the YMCA but I wonder if they will accept my acceptance letter as proof until I get some form of UMDNJ ID the first week. I know I have a small gym at Echelon but thats pretty small to use for the two weeks...

gotgame83 said:
Im moving in July 15th to Echelon, so whats that i hear, theres a party on July 15th at 107 in the landings lol Im pretty sure theres a party going on from july 15- july 30th at Polinas too.

woo hoo!! come on by! Where is the YMCA by the way, I'm hoping to be able to use it before I get the official ID...
-Amy