UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks everyone! I really appreciate the help and insight you guys have had during this process.

As for my reasoning, the biggest two were 1) reputation of the program - not that UMDNJ is bad, but UPenn has a great one 2) UMDNJ not telling us whether we were in the med school classes until Aug. Thats too late for me and too big of a factor to remain up in the air on.

I'll poke my head in here once or twice, and i'll be in visiting my brother - so i'll be thinking of GSBS.

Good luck to you all

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys,
i was in gsbs for a short period of time. I started in the fall and completed 12 credits the first semester and 13 credits the next semester and applied to the medical school meanwhile. i got accepted into njms and rwjms. although i did not have 30 credits to complete the masters program since i was 5 credits shy, they decided to count some of my medical school classes towards the degree.

i think it was a fantastic program. it was rigourous and stressfull at times but i think it prepares you for whats to come at njms or any medical school program for that matter.

just like most of you i was clueless in the begining and made all the right guesses and finally got where i wanted to be.

i would not mind helping anyone if they have any questions or concerns, i also can help recomend classes for those of you accepted into the newark gsbs program.

just to answer some of your questions,

in 2005 there was 72 accepted students i beleive, and the number has been gradually growing to accomodate students anxtious to get into the program.

at this point i think they are accepting somewhere around 110 full time students and a handful of non matriculated students.

they accept gre and mcat scores.

people i know who completed the program entered with gpas over 3.3 in undergrad and broke the 1000 mark on their gre or got over a 25 on their mcat.

i remember applying in the month of april and getting an acceptance letter in the begining of june.

Good luck you guys

awesome post! Makes me even more excited about the program..

so here comes the questions..what classes did you take and how were they? Any recommended courses to take? Did you do anything in addition to the classes to help enhance your application, like building ECs, meeting admissions, etc? Did you apply anywhere else and why did you choose to do this progam?

hi guys,
i was in gsbs for a short period of time. I started in the fall and completed 12 credits the first semester and 13 credits the next semester and applied to the medical school meanwhile. i got accepted into njms and rwjms. although i did not have 30 credits to complete the masters program since i was 5 credits shy, they decided to count some of my medical school classes towards the degree.

i think it was a fantastic program. it was rigourous and stressfull at times but i think it prepares you for whats to come at njms or any medical school program for that matter.

just like most of you i was clueless in the begining and made all the right guesses and finally got where i wanted to be.

i would not mind helping anyone if they have any questions or concerns, i also can help recomend classes for those of you accepted into the newark gsbs program.

just to answer some of your questions,

in 2005 there was 72 accepted students i beleive, and the number has been gradually growing to accomodate students anxtious to get into the program.

at this point i think they are accepting somewhere around 110 full time students and a handful of non matriculated students.

they accept gre and mcat scores.

people i know who completed the program entered with gpas over 3.3 in undergrad and broke the 1000 mark on their gre or got over a 25 on their mcat.

i remember applying in the month of april and getting an acceptance letter in the begining of june.

Good luck you guys

Members don't see this ad :)
That really is..I really wish there were more former students on this thread..

Sorry folks I felt I should post it.

I see to remember someone asking UMDNJ if they kept track of their students and the success rate to Med/Dent school - and the answer was they don't. I found that a little disheartening.

Its also a little disappointing they have no linkage to either NJMS or RWJ given that UPenn does, and its not even part of the UMDNJ system.

Sorry folks, lets hope thats old data!

Sorry folks I felt I should post it.

I see to remember someone asking UMDNJ if they kept track of their students and the success rate to Med/Dent school - and the answer was they don't. I found that a little disheartening.

Its also a little disappointing they have no linkage to either NJMS or RWJ given that UPenn does, and its not even part of the UMDNJ system.

Sorry folks, lets hope thats old data!

I honestly think it would be a great idea if there was a linkage to the state medical schools. Or some sort of 'guaranteed interview' incentive.

I think that its just the Newark campus that has a problem with keeping data. Because as we mentioned in the earlier pages of this thread..we had percentages for the Stratford campus. I don't want anyone who has decided to do the program to feel disappointed or discouraged. It still is a great program that will put you in a great position to apply to medical schools. I know students who have done the program and matriculated to med school. We even had some success stories here in this thread. We just have to do well..simply put lol.

Sorry for the long post, just trying NOT to be nervous.

I wouldn't worry about stats bc in the end it's all up to how we do as individuals in the program. Our grades will determine if we get accepted to medical schools.

I wouldn't worry about stats bc in the end it's all up to how we do as individuals in the program. Our grades will determine if we get accepted to medical schools.

True but it helps people determine where to go to school. And its worth knowing whether someone at BU MAMS will get accepted ahead of UMDNJ-GSBS Newark if everything else was equal.

did anyone hear back from the financial office yet? i want to make sure all my loan stuff is straightened out. is it just me or does anyone else feel like umdnj is so slow at mailing things and rude on the phone??

No need to be nervous about the program, if you do well, you will at least be given an interview, the rest is up to you. UMDNJ-Newark is just as good as any of the other programs if not better. Bring your A game, do your best to get into the medical school courses, do very well (b+ and above) and you should be in a good position. I have known many people who have been accepted to NJMS from the program and to many other med schools. Those who didn't get in anywhere did not generally do well in the program (<3.7).

My advice, get ready to work hard and ignore anyone who might cause you to second guess yourself.io

did anyone hear back from the financial office yet? i want to make sure all my loan stuff is straightened out. is it just me or does anyone else feel like umdnj is so slow at mailing things and rude on the phone??

I have not heard anything in terms of an award letter. I do know that all of my paperwork is in because I checked the my.umdnj.edu Financial Aid tab and saw all green checks (meaning received and reviewed). Once we are closer to the end of July, we should hear more stuff in terms of financial aid. As long as you have everything in, and it has been processed then you are in a good position.

Now with being slow at mailing stuff and being rude on the phone, I have not experienced that.

No need to be nervous about the program, if you do well, you will at least be given an interview, the rest is up to you. UMDNJ-Newark is just as good as any of the other programs if not better. Bring your A game, do your best to get into the medical school courses, do very well (b+ and above) and you should be in a good position. I have known many people who have been accepted to NJMS from the program and to many other med schools. Those who didn't get in anywhere did not generally do well in the program (<3.7).

My advice, get ready to work hard and ignore anyone who might cause you to second guess yourself.io

Thanks for the good words. Definitely praying about these medical school courses and hope that we all hear VERY SOON about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if you don't get in to MGM this fall, it is ok. Ace all of your grad classes and that will prove that you can handle a heavy work load. There are med school classes that you can take in the spring.

what are the plans for you guys if you don't get into med school the first time applying after they finishing umdnj?

The MGM course starts in November, is there another part of the course that lasts from August to November or is the MGM just one month of intense coursework?

MGM used to start in August, but that has changed this year. NJMS is moving to a block schedule which means you take aprox 1 course at a time in a shortened period. MGM starts in Nov and ends on Dec 23. It is very intense, about 4 days/week of lectures in the morning and afternoon, with small group work and team based learning thrown in.

MGM used to start in August, but that has changed this year. NJMS is moving to a block schedule which means you take aprox 1 course at a time in a shortened period. MGM starts in Nov and ends on Dec 23. It is very intense, about 4 days/week of lectures in the morning and afternoon, with small group work and team based learning thrown in.

okay that makes sense...

So I see that you completed the program and got into medical school..in words of wisdom to the incoming students...any particular classes we should take (since you said even with out MGM we should still be okay)...the 411 basically lol..

what are the plans for you guys if you don't get into med school the first time applying after they finishing umdnj?

well I am applying next summer. I am on the 1.5 year plan and if I dont get in...I will just reapply. Probably will need a job and take some part time classes and go from there..i think i need to edit this 'plan' a bit :rolleyes:

My advice: Take it slow. I know that gaining acceptance to med school (or other professional programs) is the main goal of most people entering the program. In the short term your goal should be to do well in the program and make yourself as competitive and well rounded a person as possible.

Some of the tougher courses are Cell Pathology, Mol. Med. of the Heart, Physiology, Topics in Neuro (Dr. Ingoglia is a treasure), Stem Cell Biology. Taking these courses and getting A's in them will prove that you can handle the work load. However, many students take these courses (and MGM) thinking that with a little bit of effort they will get an A...not true. You have to be consistent in your studying (just about every day) and be able to deal with mountains of information. In my opinion, I think it's better to ease into the program and not take MGM right away, but again many of you want to apply right way and having a good grade in MGM can really set you apart.

A quick not on why UMDNJ doesn't keep statistics: Every student entering the program does not want to go to med, dental school, etc... Many students want a masters to teach, work in pharmaceuticals, research. Also many students who enter the program decide that they would rather pursue a PhD. So if the school accepts 100 new masters students and only 5 (hypothetical) get accepted to NJMS that doesn't tell the whole story. Students who finish the program and have a competitive MCAT score often have multiple med school offers and some choose not to go to NJMS (I myself know many people who have gone this route). The school would then have to rely on those students contacting UMDNJ to let them know where they are going (not an easy task). Lastly, many programs have high success rates, does this include students who have had to re apply (once, twice?) and students who decided that their only option was to go overseas?

It is a stressful time and many of you want specific answers. The best advice you will get is this...work hard, get good grades in the program (>3.7), try to have a competitive MCAT (average at NJMS I think is 32), be well rounded and interesting (i.e. pursue your own interests outside of medicine), and be confident in achieving your goals.

My advice: Take it slow. I know that gaining acceptance to med school (or other professional programs) is the main goal of most people entering the program. In the short term your goal should be to do well in the program and make yourself as competitive and well rounded a person as possible.

Some of the tougher courses are Cell Pathology, Mol. Med. of the Heart, Physiology, Topics in Neuro (Dr. Ingoglia is a treasure), Stem Cell Biology. Taking these courses and getting A's in them will prove that you can handle the work load. However, many students take these courses (and MGM) thinking that with a little bit of effort they will get an A...not true. You have to be consistent in your studying (just about every day) and be able to deal with mountains of information. In my opinion, I think it's better to ease into the program and not take MGM right away, but again many of you want to apply right way and having a good grade in MGM can really set you apart.

A quick not on why UMDNJ doesn't keep statistics: Every student entering the program does not want to go to med, dental school, etc... Many students want a masters to teach, work in pharmaceuticals, research. Also many students who enter the program decide that they would rather pursue a PhD. So if the school accepts 100 new masters students and only 5 (hypothetical) get accepted to NJMS that doesn't tell the whole story. Students who finish the program and have a competitive MCAT score often have multiple med school offers and some choose not to go to NJMS (I myself know many people who have gone this route). The school would then have to rely on those students contacting UMDNJ to let them know where they are going (not an easy task). Lastly, many programs have high success rates, does this include students who have had to re apply (once, twice?) and students who decided that their only option was to go overseas?

It is a stressful time and many of you want specific answers. The best advice you will get is this...work hard, get good grades in the program (>3.7), try to have a competitive MCAT (average at NJMS I think is 32), be well rounded and interesting (i.e. pursue your own interests outside of medicine), and be confident in achieving your goals.

You brought up some valid points. Thanks for the advice...def gonna check into those classes.

Hey everyone. I too have been stalking this thread for a while.

Just wanted to say that I just got my acceptance for the Stratford Campus.
Yay!!

Anyways, any of you that are going there too and know of locations to live and/or looking for roomies, please send me a message.

Hey everyone. I too have been stalking this thread for a while.

Just wanted to say that I just got my acceptance for the Stratford Campus.
Yay!!

Anyways, any of you that are going there too and know of locations to live and/or looking for roomies, please send me a message.

Congrats!!

When is our registration & orientation? Is it Aug 20th or Aug 19th?

Has anyone received the insurance information packet yet?

finally umdnj is showing some signs of life...
check your e-mail...they just mailed out a checklist.
btw orientation is aug19th.

just found a place to live in south orange. anyone know of the area? kinda excited for school.... kinda but not really.. lol

If anyone is still looking for a place to stay here are a few more options:
Affordable beautiful rooms and apartments in North Newark

$450 Furnished Room, located on 3rd floor of home on a quiet, tree-lined street in historic Forest Hills neighborhood of North Newark, 1 block from Branch Brook Park. *Easy access via train or bus to UMDNJ, Rutgers, NJIT, etc. Quality hardwood, antique furniture and hardwood floors. Share bathroom with one other person. Shared ktichen. All utilities, wireless, included. Cable ready. Easy street parking. Deposit, references required.*

$875 Large 1 - bedroom with fireplace, hardwood floors, all new bathroom and kitchen located on Broadway, close to Broad Street Station. Utilities not included

$950 Gorgeous, well-lit 2 bedroom with fireplace, very high ceilings, new kitchen and bath. Utilities not included. Hardwood floors.

$450 Room, unfurnished. Shared bathroom and kitchen.*

Deposit reserves. *First month rent (or a prorated amount is due when you move in).

Contact Laura Lomas at [email protected]

sorry for the long post but just trying to help out some people

just found a place to live in south orange. anyone know of the area? kinda excited for school.... kinda but not really.. lol

South Orange is okay. I went to Seton Hall back in the day. Just stay out of East Orange.

finally umdnj is showing some signs of life...
check your e-mail...they just mailed out a checklist.
btw orientation is aug19th.

Yes, we need to bring it back to life. Speaking of which, can we please make a list of who is going to which campus. I'd like to know my future classmates.

I didn't get an email..was there anything else besides the checklist sent to you guys??

The checklist and just a notification to start checking your umdnj email for further updates and orientation schedule.

I'm attending the Newark campus. What about everyone else?

Ack, so I hope I'm not all by my lonesome over at Stratford, lol. :cry::eek::scared:

and another for Newark.

Is anyone planning to commute from NYC?

On average how long does it take to complete the Stratford Campus and Newark Campus program?
Thanks in advance

average is a year and half but there are quite a few on here that are hopin to finish in a year.

stupid question, but i understand that the dent students wear scrubs.. what about us? no dress code?

ok another question.. orientation begins august 19th, when does it end? and when do classes officially start?

Hey guys, I just got an email in my UMDNJ account from Leslie Lucy saying that I was approved for MGM, so I thought I'd let you all know so you can check!!:)

no love for me but hopefully they havent reviewed the dental apps yet haha but congrats dude!

Last edited: