UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for calculating my DO gpa, what if i just retook all my bad pre req (Cs) at a state school and got As wouldnt that make more sense that taking a full course list or SMP program for an MS etc. i m saying that, since dont they replace the grade for a repeated course? and also sign up for some upper level general classes at a state school as well to get that gpa up. What do you guys think?

do u already have ur bachelor's degree? idk if that will make sense. if u apply for a post bacc at rutgers you will get denied if you've passed all your classes

Members don't see this ad.

so ur saying i would have to retake everything before i get my bachelors degree? i ll be a senior this year, and orgo is at the same time as one of my other classes that i need for my major. So what if just took that at a community college, both orgos and physics? Like i know it looks weird that i took it first at a top university didnt do well in it, and then took it at a CC and got As in it but is that really what they question in interviews?? if it brings up my gpa it brings up my gpa right? whadya guys think

It'll bring your GPA up until they look at your classes and realised you did badly at a 4-yr university, went to a 2-yr where the quality is far far worse, and got As.

They'll perceive it as you taking the easy way out, which is what you are doing. If you want to take it at another 4-yr place, then that'd work.

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with rob...i don't think that will help you. at the AMSA/NJMS forum when i was an undergraduate Dr. Heinrich suggested to everyone who transferred from community college to retake the core classes at Rutgers or a 4 yr university. community college is not competitive enough for most US schools.

med school is tough and they want to see students who excel at the university level... if u can't handle that level and can only do community college courses then idk if that will help you. that tells the committee that a student cannot handle med school. i guess if u can retake it at the 4 yr it would look better than taking it at community college. idk how the committee looks at that tho.

remember you're competing with mostly everyone who came from a 4 yr university--Rutgers, Cornell, Columbia, Princeton, NYU, etc... this is the incoming class for this year... just view what schools the matriculants came from... definitely not community college http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=102484935229

Last edited:
aight well i realize that at this point, i need to pretty much go hard at DO schools and forget MD, since for my end goals DO perfectly fits them and i feel no need to go thru the hassle of competing for even low tier MD schools and get into one solid DO school. THats why i need to take advantage of the retake policy, and bump up my science gpa to atleast a 3.4. So I guess I ll start looking into retaking classes at a 4 year college. So no 4 year college will let u take general classes if u already have a BS and passed all ur classes? Seems kinda weird, since its no harm to them and just more money that they get from tuition.

aight well i realize that at this point, i need to pretty much go hard at DO schools and forget MD, since for my end goals DO perfectly fits them and i feel no need to go thru the hassle of competing for even low tier MD schools and get into one solid DO school. THats why i need to take advantage of the retake policy, and bump up my science gpa to atleast a 3.4. So I guess I ll start looking into retaking classes at a 4 year college. So no 4 year college will let u take general classes if u already have a BS and passed all ur classes? Seems kinda weird, since its no harm to them and just more money that they get from tuition.

nah i think that you are able to take undergraduate classes after you earn your bachelors. I think that jxc meant if you were specifically applying to post bacs. I think retaking classes are cool since you want to apply to DO schools. Still I think the point we are trying to say is that...medical schools wanna know that you can handle the coursework, their coursework. Your first run through in undergrad didnt fair so well. And you know what they are going to say when they see that you have taken a class over...that you are supposed to do better..this is your second time with the material. :laugh:

So show them that you are able to handle the hard courses the first time around..and what better way to do that..then to do an SMP program. You are in the right environment and taking the right kind of courses that will help prove that. Acing upper level courses in undergrad, yeah thats cool. Acing graduate (sometimes medical) courses..even better.

anyone looking for a place to live? looking for a roomie

hey guys. i'm also a pre-med planning on attending UMDNJ-NEWARK to enhance my gpa for med school applications. i was thinking of MBS non-thesis track because I just want to focus on taking classes and getting good grades. I've done incredible amount of research as undergrad (3 publications). Although I fancy doing research while attaining my Masters, I do not necessarily want to commit writing a thesis.

I was reading through the thread and Kimicool (?) and this some other girl who finished their masters at UMDNJ first started off as MBS and switched to MS with thesis option. I was wondering what their reasons and thought process were behind making that switch. And what is recommended for premed student at UMDNJ Newark trying to enhance their med app credibility?

finally mailed in my medical paperwork, lol - we'll see if I get yelled at!

hey guys. i'm also a pre-med planning on attending UMDNJ-NEWARK to enhance my gpa for med school applications. i was thinking of MBS non-thesis track because I just want to focus on taking classes and getting good grades. I've done incredible amount of research as undergrad (3 publications). Although I fancy doing research while attaining my Masters, I do not necessarily want to commit writing a thesis.

I was reading through the thread and Kimicool (?) and this some other girl who finished their masters at UMDNJ first started off as MBS and switched to MS with thesis option. I was wondering what their reasons and thought process were behind making that switch. And what is recommended for premed student at UMDNJ Newark trying to enhance their med app credibility?

I began in the MBS program because, unlike you, I wasn't that excited about doing research (I envy you for all of your previous experience!). However, you still must go through a 2 credit lab rotation in order to complete the MBS degree, and my research in that lab was going very well. I therefore decided to extend the rotation into a full thesis commitment and change my degree.

I'm not sure I quite understand your question regarding credibility; could you please rephrase?

I still need to get my 2nd TB Shot haha..I don't think they reallly care as long as its in before you start school.

hey-
what i meant was are any points awarded by the med admission committee if you have a thesis written? is writing a graduate thesis special./important? you can always work in a research lab and maybe get published instead of writing a thesis, right? to me.. writing a thesis just seems like an unnecessary commitment. i was just wondering if there is any advantage of doing it.

also.. i noticed that some classes (like fundamentals) are graded 50% midterm and 50% final.... i am **** scared cuz i personally do not do well on exams, especially the first one cuz i probably am not familiar with how that professor writes tests. so, i usually need 2nd or 3rd exams to pull up my grades... but i noticed most classes only have two exams total.........how hard are these classes? how challenging is it to get A's in these courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
i am **** scared cuz i personally do not do well on exams, especially the first one cuz i probably am not familiar with how that professor writes tests. so, i usually need 2nd or 3rd exams to pull up my grades
That doesn't really bode well for the one-shot and your done boards now does it?

DrChuck&Albuterol - yeah I cant imagine they care, the deadline was just so early. Oh well - its almost a month past it and they didnt call or complain yet, so it looks like its not a huge deal

hey-
what i meant was are any points awarded by the med admission committee if you have a thesis written? is writing a graduate thesis special./important? you can always work in a research lab and maybe get published instead of writing a thesis, right? to me.. writing a thesis just seems like an unnecessary commitment. i was just wondering if there is any advantage of doing it.

also.. i noticed that some classes (like fundamentals) are graded 50% midterm and 50% final.... i am **** scared cuz i personally do not do well on exams, especially the first one cuz i probably am not familiar with how that professor writes tests. so, i usually need 2nd or 3rd exams to pull up my grades... but i noticed most classes only have two exams total.........how hard are these classes? how challenging is it to get A's in these courses?

Yeah not trying to write a thesis..want to never ever do any kind of research lol..its unfortunate we HAVE to do a lab rotation..bleh!!

And where are you getting the information about the exams?? Is it on their website??

That doesn't really bode well for the one-shot and your done boards now does it?

actually, i'm pretty good with standardized tests. did pretty well on GRE and MCAT. i just seem to have bad luck with exams written and graded by professors unless they're multiple-choice. i hate short-essay types unless the professors are clear on what they want in the answer.

And where are you getting the information about the exams?? Is it on their website??

i was looking at the website with the course information. they have syllabi from last year... considering the fact that the same prof will be teaching it again upcoming year.. i thought it's pretty reflective of the format next semester.
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/olc/fundamentals1/geninfo.htm

anyone else find it disturbing that your grade is 50% each on two exams the whole course????? or is it just me? o.0;;

Last edited:
i was looking at the website with the course information. they have syllabi from last year... considering the fact that the same prof will be teaching it again upcoming year.. i thought it's pretty reflective of the format next semester.
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/olc/fundamentals1/geninfo.htm

anyone else find it disturbing that your grade is 50% each on two exams the whole course????? or is it just me? o.0;;

Yeah that makes me nervous as all hell..at least with 3 exams you have wiggle room..now I feel so claustrophobic...eh what can you do??

Is anyone buying their books before orientation or waiting till post registration?

pos-reg too; dunno whether ill be allowed to take the med classes or not, so may as well wait till i do know

No, i emailed Leslie Lucy to ask when they'd tell us and I havent heard anything back yet

Yeah, I've been wondering that as well. Keep us updated when she gets back to you:)

Hello all, first post

I was accepted to both Newark and Stratford, but will be going to Stratford in the Fall because the Newark campus likes to take their sweet time sending acceptance letters :).

I've started looking for apartments in the general vicinity of the Stratford area and I realized that I need a roommate. If anyone is interested just shoot me an email at [email protected]. I prefer an apartment with fios tv and internet capability (currently I am a verizon employee/slave) but I am def open to anything as long as I get place to live.

Is anyone else enrolled in the dual degree program? so excited!

For those people who are pre-dental, when is a decision made about who is eligible to take dental physiology and dental biochemistry? Or have those selected already been notified?

This is discussed elsewhere in this thread at length. The short answer is DAT and GPA

Hi robflanker,

I'm aware that GPA/DAT scores determine eligibility for enrollment in the dental school courses. I'd like to know if the school has notified the lucky students yet? I did a quick search of this 15-page thread and didn't see anything mentioned about this.

Thanks.

I would really like to know if and when those students are notified. Taking those courses will be such a GREAT look. As soon as someone hears anything, PLEASE POST.

I emailed leslie lucy and havent heard anything back from her yet. She told me before the decisions would made in June but whether we hear back or not in June is a diff story

So just heard back;
"Med School notifications will go out before registration (August)"

Doesnt help sell me on UMDNJ...

I know, registration is August 20th, that's a pretty big window...

Yah and its one of the big sellers for the program - so to keep stringing people along....

Yeah I'm leaning 90% towards not attending

What if you called and asked about your particular situation and said that you are choosing between this program and blah blah..they might inform you of your status a lot quicker. I think people do more when you press more and make it sound urgent.

I mentioned in my email it would help decide where I would attend. No bang for my buck.

Rutgers is definitely in the building!! But congratulations on your acceptance. Yes we register during orientation on August 19th. Also only a select few students are allowed to take medical/dental courses and they will be notified of that before the end of June.

See you in the Fall.

AUGUST 19? My paper says orientation is August 20th. ----????

Yeah, orientation is 8/19, I accidentaly put last years date in my post =P

And whenever someone hears about getting into MGM let us know =D

I know. I am filling out my AMCAS now and if I got into MGM I think it would be nice to know so I can put that on my application, but I guess I have to wait and see, lol

I just made the decision and wrote up a letter to UMDNJ informing them I won't be attending GSBS.

I'll be going to UPenn for their SSP instead.

Good luck to all those attending and I hope you get where you want to be!

I just made the decision and wrote up a letter to UMDNJ informing them I won't be attending GSBS.

Awww we lost one lol..

But seriously SSP is a great program so very good choice. Good luck with everything fellow pre-med :D

CONGRATS Rob!!! UPenn is beautiful; I was just there for my cousin's graduation. you'll love it.

Good luck Rob!