UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all...just admitted to UMDNJ GSBS in Stratford :thumbup:! I am a NY state resident not very familiar with the geography of the Jerz. Could someone who is DEFINITELY attending this program and knowledgeable about Jerz make some helpful recommendations?

Thank y'all.

Members don't see this ad.

hmm i'm hopin someone can clarify this for me. I took a look at the fall schedule of classes and under dental physiology, it says that orientation is on the 18th, not the 19th. Is there a special orientation for the dental physiology class? haha

Yeah, I took a look and it says for you dents the orientation is the day before...I would email someone just to double check.

Congrats on getting into dental physiology Userah:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just got an email in my UMDNJ account from Leslie Lucy saying that I was approved for MGM, so I thought I'd let you all know so you can check!!:)

Is this for fall 09? or Is it your choice to take MGM in fall o9 or fall10?

The email said that I was approved to take the MGM course, so I am assuming it is for fall 09. They also warned of the difficulty and how taking the course is a big responsibility especially since the med school moved to block scheduling and the course is now given over 7 weeks instead of 15.

Sorry to ask this question again, but have any pre-dental students been notified about taking D-school classes? I just activated my UMDNJ email account yesterday, and haven't heard anything through that address or otherwise.

Thanks.

I had a friend who was contacted last tuesday about taking dental physio.

anyone getting the umdnj health insurance?
i printed out the enrollment forms from the website but it says UMDNJ needs to sign some place...who should I contact for this any idea?

Also this will probably sound pretty nerdy, but I'm actually excited for school to start. I'm sure this will die down once we get hit with the syllabus and end up studying everyday haha but until then who else is pumped up for school?

anyone getting the umdnj health insurance?
i printed out the enrollment forms from the website but it says UMDNJ needs to sign some place...who should I contact for this any idea?

Also this will probably sound pretty nerdy, but I'm actually excited for school to start. I'm sure this will die down once we get hit with the syllabus and end up studying everyday haha but until then who else is pumped up for school?

what health insurance form are you referring to?? The one on the website??

and Albuterol...FINALLY...some is just as excited as me..I am such a loser..got my parking pass already (had to) and will be getting my student ID in 2 weeks (mad early...to avoid the 'rush')...I cannot wait for these freaking registration forms...

what health insurance form are you referring to?? The one on the website??

and Albuterol...FINALLY...some is just as excited as me..I am such a loser..got my parking pass already (had to) and will be getting my student ID in 2 weeks (mad early...to avoid the 'rush')...I cannot wait for these freaking registration forms...

DrChuck yup, I'm referring to the enrollment form off the www.univeristyhealthplans.com website. Its from the snail mail we received last week or the week before. If you look on the form Part A & I has to be completed by UMDNJ with Part I requiring a signature.

I didn't know we could get our parking pass and student ID early? I will atleast get the parking pass, don't want to be a victim of the UMDNJ parking patrol haha. I also cannot wait for these registration forms as I'm really interested in which classes I will be able to sign up for.

DrChuck yup, I'm referring to the enrollment form off the www.univeristyhealthplans.com website. Its from the snail mail we received last week or the week before. If you look on the form Part A & I has to be completed by UMDNJ with Part I requiring a signature.

I didn't know we could get our parking pass and student ID early? I will at least get the parking pass, don't want to be a victim of the UMDNJ parking patrol haha. I also cannot wait for these registration forms as I'm really interested in which classes I will be able to sign up for.

wow..thanks Albuterol. Totally ignored those forms until you just mentioned it..:rolleyes: OOPS! But it seems that we do not have to fill out anything or do anything unless we are waiving the insurance (since we are new students)...right?? Also do you know if this includes dental as well or is that a separate insurance??

Yes to everyone out there..you can definitely get your parking pass and your Student ID..all you need is your student identification number (the A#) and head over to the parking office, fill out the parking registration form (make sure you have it charged to your student account: $150 for the year)..I was there earlier today getting a parking pass (was a victim to the patrol the day before lol) and she told me about getting a new ID and parking pass. She says that it would be best to do so before the RUSH because EVERYONE AND THEIR MOM will be there around orientation week...

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I am considering applying here for Spring, since fall is over.

I was wondering how competitive this school is...are there any stats of people that have been accepted?

and also, i am kinda confused with the Thesis or non-thesis?

Registration and Orientation information has been sent out..check your UMDNJ emails..

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got it. I am really excited to start; however I'm sure my level of excitement will diminish rather quickly and transform into stress and anxiety once classes actually start. But I am going to revel in the excitement of the moment, :laugh:

I'm with you. I cannot wait to start. I have been counting down the days. 16 days of work left!!!

Hey,

Should we start emailing the advisors now and let them know what courses we are interested in taking? Because I was thinking about Histo and Cell Pathology, both are online registration and don't require special permission, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Hey,

Should we start emailing the advisors now and let them know what courses we are interested in taking? Because I was thinking about Histo and Cell Pathology, both are online registration and don't require special permission, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Yes you can. I emailed a professor yesterday and he's meeting with me next week about getting into General Pathology..

For anyone who's still waiting to hear from the UMDNJ MBS program (or is on the waiting list), I've decided to give up my spot for the fall and take classes at a local university as a non-degree student.

Good luck to everyone!

I got an advisement from Dr. Wagner yesterday and figured out what I would take this Fall semester. I am a pre-dent and applied to dental schools for 2010 entering class. Dr. Wagner said I can transfer 6 dental credits from ANY dental school so I only need to take 24 credits. I asked her bunch of questions regarding how hard the classes would be, and she said it depends on courses. She said any course under Oral Biology would be tough classes. For instance, oral microbiology is very demanding and difficult to get good grades. There were 35 people who took this course last semester and 25 of them ended up getting C or C plus. And this course only offers in Fall, not Spring. But I told her that I would take classes that would help me boost up my GPAs so I will take Fundamental I, Histology, Pharmacology I, and seminar in Fall semester. She recommended me to take only 10 credits in Fall, 11 credits in Spring, and 3 credits of Statistics in a month of June 2010. She told me to spread out classes like this since I don't have strong science background but I'm sure you science majors will be able to pull 12 credits per semester. Overall, she was very helpful and patient! I'm excited to get started lol

I got an advisement from Dr. Wagner yesterday and figured out what I would take this Fall semester. I am a pre-dent and applied to dental schools for 2010 entering class. Dr. Wagner said I can transfer 6 dental credits from ANY dental school so I only need to take 24 credits. I asked her bunch of questions regarding how hard the classes would be, and she said it depends on courses. She said any course under Oral Biology would be tough classes. For instance, oral microbiology is very demanding and difficult to get good grades. There were 35 people who took this course last semester and 25 of them ended up getting C or C plus. And this course only offers in Fall, not Spring. But I told her that I would take classes that would help me boost up my GPAs so I will take Fundamental I, Histology, Pharmacology I, and seminar in Fall semester. She recommended me to take only 10 credits in Fall, 11 credits in Spring, and 3 credits of Statistics in a month of June 2010. She told me to spread out classes like this since I don't have strong science background but I'm sure you science majors will be able to pull 12 credits per semester. Overall, she was very helpful and patient! I'm excited to get started lol

That sounds great! I just e-mailed her hoping to set up an advising session soon. Also if you don't mind me asking which schools did you apply to? I'm hoping to get in for 2010 also.

Continuing with the previous post what is everyone else planning on taking?
For the fall I think I'm going to take toxicology, fundamentals, pharm, lab rotation, and seminar.

Depending on how the fall goes I will try and take a med school class in the spring.

besides fundamentals...pharm, toxicology, seminar or another class

I've been talking to Dr. Garrett setting up my classes. I'm taking MGM, cell pathology, seminar, and lab rotation. Does that 6 credit transfer work for the med school too?

Just spoke to Dr. Wagner and she suggested that I take Pharm, Fundamentals, Seminar, and Principles of Clinial & Translational Res. in Oncology....

That sounds great! I just e-mailed her hoping to set up an advising session soon. Also if you don't mind me asking which schools did you apply to? I'm hoping to get in for 2010 also.

I applied to Columbia, NYU, NJDS, Penn, BU, Tufts, and Maryland. My GPA isn't too great so I didn't bother applying to Stony Brook or Harvard lol and Buffalo is too far and cold.

I've been talking to Dr. Garrett setting up my classes. I'm taking MGM, cell pathology, seminar, and lab rotation. Does that 6 credit transfer work for the med school too?

Titan,
How many total credits is that schedule? I'm also doing MGM and so confused as to what I should take. Also, I'm confused about this seminar and lab rotation... what exactly are those and why am I so out of the loop? Haha, thanks for your help.

Also, has anyone heard from financial aid? I submitted financial aid in like March and haven't hear a word.

Is anyone planning to work part-time? If so, how many hours per week?

Titan,
How many total credits is that schedule? I'm also doing MGM and so confused as to what I should take. Also, I'm confused about this seminar and lab rotation... what exactly are those and why am I so out of the loop? Haha, thanks for your help.

Well I have been in contact with Dr. Garrett talking about my schedule, I would suggest emailing him, he is a great help. He asked me what my science background was like and asked me to give him my undergraduate science grades because he didn't have my transcript on him at the time. I told him I was a solid life science student and he agreed based on my grades. He told me that MGM is really intense and taking other courses with it is difficult, because the med students that take MGM, only take MGM and nothing else during that period, whereas I would be taking that, the seminar, and cell pathology.

Credit wise, MGM is 7, Cell path is 3, lab rotation is 2, and seminar is 1.5 for a total of 13.5. I am trying hard to complete the program in a year so I have a shot at med school next round.

Dr. Garrett told me that because MGM doesn't start until November I will have Sept until November for just my elective, seminar, and lab rotation and he said that I would be able to dedicate a lot of my first few months at GSBS to my lab rotation (60 hrs of lab work culminating in a 3-5 page report of research done, although he said most students chose to do more time in the lab), and by doing so I could be finished with the required 60 hrs by the time November comes.

What I would suggest to you Nulacrosse, is to email him with your grades, tell him you got into MGM and give him a list of electives you'd like to take. Just be careful with the electives you chose, you have to keep in mind how much time MGM will take up once November rolls around.

And congrats on getting into MGM :soexcited:

I only applied to three...NYU, UMDNJ NJMS, UMDNJ RWJMS...mainly because last time I applied to 16 and got interviews at 0/16...that was a big hit and took the wind out of my sails lol, not to mention a lot of money out of my wallet. So I decided to err on the side of caution this time and just apply to 3 of the schools I really want to get into.

this is my first time applying to dental school...so I have applied to quite a bit but hopefully we can all complete the program in a year and get into a medical/dental school. Also if any pre-dents have questions for dr. wagner i'm going to see her monday and can report back what she says.

financial aid havent heard anything.

Credit wise, MGM is 7, Cell path is 3, lab rotation is 2, and seminar is 1.5 for a total of 13.5. I am trying hard to complete the program in a year so I have a shot at med school next round.

Congrats to you too!!!

I've emailed with Dr. Garrett a couple times but I feel bad bothering him. Did he say that cell path was a little less demanding? I also would like to complete the program in 1 year which is why I'm nervous about not taking an actual class in the fall. soooo... I might be stalking you in the fall. Also, I didn't see cell path on the course list.. what's the course #? Thanks again for your help!

Kind of off topic but is anyone into running and know of any good routes in Newark?

Thanks for the info about dr. Garrett I need to email him or dr. W. about classes to see if what I have in mind will be a good selection since I'm not taking MGM.

Congrats to you too!!!

I've emailed with Dr. Garrett a couple times but I feel bad bothering him. Did he say that cell path was a little less demanding? I also would like to complete the program in 1 year which is why I'm nervous about not taking an actual class in the fall. soooo... I might be stalking you in the fall. Also, I didn't see cell path on the course list.. what's the course #? Thanks again for your help!

Yeah, I expressed my concerns to Dr. Garrett when he fist suggested taking only MGM. I told him that I didn't want to have nothing to do in Sept-October. So I told him I was interested in cell path or histo, but since I had taken histo as an undergrad I decided to take cellular patholgy. He said that course would be a good fit with my schedule.

The course number for cellular pathology is:
PATH
5100Q
Cellular Pathology

and it meets:
Monday
4:00 PM – 6:30 PM
Aug 31
st – Dec 14th​
MSB C-555
It sounds like a really interesting class, I am looking forward to it.

Hey guys! Another UMDNJ GSBS-Newark pre-dent here starting in the Fall. :) I emailed Dr. Wagner earlier today and will be meeting with her Monday morning. I am thinking of taking Fundamentals I, Fundamentals of Pharmacology, Basic Histo, and seminar. I am so nervous about starting in the fall. I'm 98% sure that I'll be attending UMDNJ, but there's a little part of me that wonders if I'm making the right choice, I also got into BU MAMS but UMDNJ is closer to home, and way cheaper. I wish I was more secure about my decision, I've read so many encouraging, and discouraging things on this thread about the program. I've already been rejected to D-school last round, so this is my last chance... However, on a brighter note, I look forward to meeting you all at orientation! :)

Hello everyone. I talked with Dr. Wagner, and it looks like I have a tentative schedule:

MGM (7)
Stem Cell Biology (3)
Lab Rotation (2)
Seminar in Biomedical Science (1)

Is anyone else taking these classes? I'm told that doing well in MGM is a good way to show that you can handle a medical school curriculum, but at the same time, it's also necessary to somehow demonstrate compassion. Besides the volunteering that I'm doing at a nearby hospital, does anyone know of any other activities that would show this, perhaps one that takes place around the campus?

Hello everyone. I talked with Dr. Wagner, and it looks like I have a tentative schedule:

MGM (7)
Stem Cell Biology (3)
Lab Rotation (2)
Seminar in Biomedical Science (1)

Is anyone else taking these classes? I'm told that doing well in MGM is a good way to show that you can handle a medical school curriculum, but at the same time, it's also necessary to somehow demonstrate compassion. Besides the volunteering that I'm doing at a nearby hospital, does anyone know of any other activities that would show this, perhaps one that takes place around the campus?

Yay, another MGMer! I'm also taking MGM, the lab rotation, and the seminar, but I am taking cellular pathology for my elective. I am going to see during orientation what I can get involved with to help my chances of getting into med school. I'm fluent in Spanish so I want to see if they have need for a medical interpreter at the Hospital.

wow you guys are soo on top of your game! i like motivated people. can't wait to meet ya'll.

i have a Q for people planning on doing a lab rotation in the fall. do you guys already have a lab in mind? have you already got in touch with the professor? if so, mind sharing which lab?

or are you guys just signing up for the lab rotation and deciding which lab to join on/after orientation?

chow

wow you guys are soo on top of your game! i like motivated people. can't wait to meet ya'll.

i have a Q for people planning on doing a lab rotation in the fall. do you guys already have a lab in mind? have you already got in touch with the professor? if so, mind sharing which lab?

or are you guys just signing up for the lab rotation and deciding which lab to join on/after orientation?

chow

I am thinking about waiting for orientation to maybe meet and speak with some of the people from the labs to learn more about their research

For you pre-dents out there...how many of you are thinking of taking Oral Microbiology? I spoke with Dr. Wagner today and she said that since I didn't get into Dental Physio (which I found out is ridiculously tough from the stats she gave me) that if I wanted to be considered for NJDS that I should take Oral Microbiology. Then she gave me the following stats and told me to think about it: 3 A's 4 B+s 1 B and the rest of the 28 students got a C/C+ grade. From those #s alone, I am terrified but I know if I am able to get an A/B+ it will definitely boost my application profile at NJDS my #1 choice. What would you guys do?

My tentative schedule looks like- Fundamentals I/Oral Microbiology/Science Elective/Dental Seminar

Science electives that I would pick from are Histology/Pharmacology/or Principles of Toxicology.

For you pre-dents out there...how many of you are thinking of taking Oral Microbiology? I spoke with Dr. Wagner today and she said that since I didn't get into Dental Physio (which I found out is ridiculously tough from the stats she gave me) that if I wanted to be considered for NJDS that I should take Oral Microbiology. Then she gave me the following stats and told me to think about it: 3 A's 4 B+s 1 B and the rest of the 28 students got a C/C+ grade. From those #s alone, I am terrified but I know if I am able to get an A/B+ it will definitely boost my application profile at NJDS my #1 choice. What would you guys do?

My tentative schedule looks like- Fundamentals I/Oral Microbiology/Science Elective/Dental Seminar

Science electives that I would pick from are Histology/Pharmacology/or Principles of Toxicology.

I'm a pre-dent but way too chicken to gamble with the possibilty of getting a C/C+ factored into my graduate gpa. Maybe it's low self confidence, but looking at those grades, it seems like the odds would be stacked against me getting a good grade in that class esp. with my sub par track record...

Thanks toothpasty...I'm leaning towards not taking it and going with fundamentals/histo/pharm/dent seminar ...what are you taking?

Hey everyone, just hopped onto this thread.
I'll be starting GSBS in Newark this Fall.
Congrats to everyone that got in :)
I'm taking fundamentals, bioterrorism, seminar, and cant figure out what else to take. Any ideas?
Dr. Garrett gave me a couple to work with - pharm, tox, neuro... and some others

Thanks toothpasty...I'm leaning towards not taking it and going with fundamentals/histo/pharm/dent seminar ...what are you taking?

This coming semester I'm planning to take Fundamentals, fund. of pharm, toxicology, and dent seminar. I was planning on taking histo, but when I met with Dr. Wagner, she recommended that I take toxicology instead so I can graduate with a concentration in pharmacology.

I know this is pretty late, but is anyone looking for a roomate?

This coming semester I'm planning to take Fundamentals, fund. of pharm, toxicology, and dent seminar. I was planning on taking histo, but when I met with Dr. Wagner, she recommended that I take toxicology instead so I can graduate with a concentration in pharmacology.

Seems like we are going to be in a lot of the same classes! She mentioned this also to me, but Toxicology didn't really interest me after a current student told me you learned about snake venoms, toxins, etc.

Seems like we are going to be in a lot of the same classes! She mentioned this also to me, but Toxicology didn't really interest me after a current student told me you learned about snake venoms, toxins, etc.

Awesome, can't wait to meet you, we have a busy semester ahead of us! Snake venoms in Toxicology?! I wasn't sure what that class was all about but that sounds interesting to me!

i need to choose 2. microbiology - pharmacology - pathology. any recommendations?