UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got responses from two labs, one from molecular med/cell bio and one from biochem. I set up a meeting for the molecular med for tuesday and told the biochem that I am in the process of applying to another lab; they told me to contact them when I know where I will be doing my rotation. So it's just a matter of searching for the right one

Members don't see this ad.

I just got responses from two labs, one from molecular med/cell bio and one from biochem. I set up a meeting for the molecular med for tuesday and told the biochem that I am in the process of applying to another lab; they told me to contact them when I know where I will be doing my rotation. So it's just a matter of searching for the right one

Hey Titan,

when are you planning to do your lab tho? I plan to do mine over the summer (after the first set of spring courses finish) so they told me not to worry about it until next semester

Oh wow..you can do your lab rotations over the summer..is that an every lab thing..or just the particular one you guys signed up for??

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow..you can do your lab rotations over the summer..is that an every lab thing..or just the particular one you guys signed up for??

It depends on the instructor. If they have space during that time they are more than welcome to accomodate you. I don't wanna do it while taking a full course load that's why.

On another note, does anyone happen to have a lecture recording for Cellular Pathology on Monday August 31, with Professor Lambert?

I am meeting with a lab advisor this morning. Because I'm in MGM, Dr. Garrett suggested that I do my lab rotation now while I am essentially only taking one class so I can finish it by the time MGM starts in November.
And I was in cell path but I didn't record the lecture, sorry. Was there something that you missed?

You can also get out of a lab rotation if you have done any kind of research in college or worked in a lab after graduating. If you have contact Dr. Wagner, this is what she told me and I don't have to do the rotation. I probably will just because its an easy "A" grade.

hiiii,

just thought i'd say hi. i hope everybody's doing well with classes and stuff. i have my first research lab interview friday. these are intense. they wanted my c.v. and my transcrpit AND recommendation letters -.-; did anyone else had these requested by a research lab? or is this just atypical? i think mine might be different cuz its actually a paid position. hmm... word.

good luck to you all. xP

I just had an interview with two people, one was the coordinator for the lab, and asked for my resume then asked me questions about my MCATs and grades. Then I met with the head of the lab, who is also the chairperson for the dept of molecular medicine and cell bio, and he just asked me what I was interested in and I was assigned to a project. My position isn't paid so I am guessing they are more stringent with the paid positions.

I really haven't started any research yet, as they have been training me for the past week in how to perpare and analyze tissue samples. Hopefully I can start on the project some time next week

Hey guys, I think I'm going to apply to the program so I just wanna know how are you guys doing so far?

Hey guys, I think I'm going to apply to the program so I just wanna know how are you guys doing so far?

Hey..I like the program so far. I definitely think they give you a good selection of classes to choose from. The class that I enjoy the most is General Pathology, which is intense. Fundamentals I (Biochem/Molecular Biology) is also a good course (semi-intense). Professor Lea sometimes does go off on tangents when he is teaching, but the material is not too bad. We had our first exam yesterday so I am waiting to hear how that went for me. Other than that, my Clinical Trials...Oncology course is also cool. The least intense one so to speak.
I think overall I like the way my classes are going for me and feel that I made the right decision to do the masters program. I am on the 1.5 track (hopefully taking MGM next fall) so I feel that when I am done and produce the grades, I will feel better prepared for medical school. If you have any specific questions about the program, post here on just PM me. Hopefully some other people will chime in. :D

got an exam tomorrow but i'll chime in after its over.

here are some of my PERSONAL honest opinions (that might change overtime).... but so far:

pros:
- wide variety of classes to choose from so you can meet your personal interests.. like dr. chuck, i am enjoying all my classes.. they are challenging, but verrry interesting and fun!
- tuition mad cheap for in-state residents compared to other programs (reason why I decided to attend here)..
- good research opportunities (if you are into research, like me)

cons:
- i HATE the campus and its facilities... administration offices for the graduate school is spread all over the campus (whereas for med school it's sorta clustered), not to mention the staff members are almost always bitchy........ oh yeah, almost forgot the crappy dining hall and there's no gym. gues med students here study all day and don't work out? jk... truth is, they don't have enough $.. i think the student council is trying to fight for one...(but yeah, all of this may be a biased opinion because I was lucky to go to an awesome undergraduate with great facilities...)
- i like how everyone just assumes ur a med student, when there are so many programs established on campus. what is this supposed to mean? i feel like masters students, especially, have like no identity here...
- i HATE how you can't have food/drinks in the library. coffee is my study tool. i have to sneak it in my bag everytime and have it spilled all over my books. yes, i blame the school. LOL

ok. so i'll stop whining and talk about some practical issues...

- no pre-med adviers, you are on your own .... literally. altho you can set up an appointment with the med school dean yeahyeahyeah, but you wouldn't want to bother him with stupid stuff and leave a bad impression, do you? the masters degree advisers try to help, but really all they do is refer you to other people who are not that helpful... so really, you are on your own to find answers to questions.... this sounds fine, but it can sometimes be frustrating.

- no sense of community (masters students barely get to know each other, unless you're an active outgoing person)... everybody sorta does their own thing like a community college - guess this could be a pro depending on your personality
- no MCAT review course (whereas, some other post-bac program offers this).. if you haven't take the MCAT yet, this should be of high concern because it's quite hard to study for MCAT while taking full load of graduate courses... think and plan realistically.

I know i have more cons than pros, but I am enjoying my experience here at umdnj overall.... anywhere you go, you'll get what you make of it....for me, I was fortunate to join an awesome research lab and am having a blast.... I don't think I want to apply here for med school tho. only because, environment is a big factor for me and unfortunately, the newark campus is not so welcoming. .. i heard robert woodson and straton campus is different, so I'm planning on checking them out.

hope that was helpful and not too biased.

Last edited:
here are some of my PERSONAL honest opinions (that might change overtime).... but so far:

pros:
- wide variety of classes to choose from so you can meet your personal interests.. like dr. chuck, i am enjoying all my classes.. they are challenging, but verrry interesting and fun!
- tuition mad cheap for in-state residents compared to other programs (reason why I decided to attend here)..
- good research opportunities (if you are into research, like me)

cons:
- i HATE the campus and its facilities... administration offices for the graduate school is spread all over the campus (whereas for med school it's sorta clustered), not to mention the staff members are almost always bitchy........ oh yeah, almost forgot the crappy dining hall and there's no gym. gues med students here study all day and don't work out? jk... truth is, they don't have enough $.. i think the student council is trying to fight for one...(but yeah, all of this may be a biased opinion because I was lucky to go to an awesome undergraduate with great facilities...)
- i like how everyone just assumes ur a med student, when there are so many programs established on campus. what is this supposed to mean? i feel like masters students, especially, have like no identity here...
- i HATE how you can't have food/drinks in the library. coffee is my study tool. i have to sneak it in my bag everytime and have it spilled all over my books. yes, i blame the school. LOL

ok. so i'll stop whining and talk about some practical issues...

- no pre-med adviers, you are on your own .... literally. altho you can set up an appointment with the med school dean yeahyeahyeah, but you wouldn't want to bother him with stupid stuff and leave a bad impression, do you? the masters degree advisers try to help, but really all they do is refer you to other people who are not that helpful... so really, you are on your own to find answers to questions.... this sounds fine, but it can sometimes be frustrating.

- no sense of community (masters students barely get to know each other, unless you're an active outgoing person)... everybody sorta does their own thing like a community college - guess this could be a pro depending on your personality
- no MCAT review course (whereas, some other post-bac program offers this).. if you haven't take the MCAT yet, this should be of high concern because it's quite hard to study for MCAT while taking full load of graduate courses... think and plan realistically.

I know i have more cons than pros, but I am enjoying my experience here at umdnj overall.... anywhere you go, you'll get what you make of it....for me, I was fortunate to join an awesome research lab and am having a blast.... I don't think I want to apply here for med school tho. only because, environment is a big factor for me and unfortunately, the newark campus is not so welcoming. .. i heard robert woodson and straton campus is different, so I'm planning on checking them out.

hope that was helpful and not too biased.

those three points that i highlighted....are definitely good points. I dont feel like I belong with the grad students.. I mean they do have the GSA (Graduate Students Association) but since orientation, I hardly hear from them. They send a few emails out about events but sporadically.

No MCAT review course whatsoever and I do not see one happening anytime soon that will be STRUCTURED from the program. I know that some students are doing their own study groups, but if that is SUPER important to you..to have a review course/prep thats a no-go.

The library thing/the gym thing..so true :laugh:

But the classes are great. I feel like my confidence has gone up because I am enjoying the material a lot...

okay...I'm done :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll add my two cents as well :)

I like the experience overall, so far.

I am taking cell pathology; which is a really interesting course and is not that big, so if you need help you can definitely ask for it. In addition to cell path I am completing my lab rotation; which is fun however the actual Ph.D candidates and the researchers there kinda treat me as a second class citizen because I am only a rotating masters student.

The facilities are not the best...but I am dealing. haha

And I do agree that Master's students have no identity. Everyone really caters to the med students and forgets that there are other programs at the school. A few of the med students have superiority complexes and think that they are God already, but this is a minority. Most of the med students I have met are really nice and down to earth.

I recently had a meeting with Dr. Heindrich to talk about my application, in lieu of a "pre med advisor meeting." I was concerned about some things on my application and he really put my mind at ease. A lot of people, namely med students, told me that he was a really strict and harsh person who never gives anyone positive feedback. Well he couldn't have been any more pleasant or helpful with me. So take that for what it's worth.

All in all I am really pleased. I am starting MGM next week so my opinion might change, because up until now my schedule has been very manageable and not too hectic. We shall see how it goes in the next month haha.

From what I understand UMDNJ is a 1.5-2 year track right? Is it possible to finish it off in one year + one summer? ie, graduate from undergrad, go straight to classes, graduate the following year and be done with it .

I'm doing the GSBS program right now and i spoke to the dean last year, she recommended 8 credits per semester because you don't want to bomb your gpa when you apply to med/dental school. however, UF wants to see lots of credits every semester because ideally its a heavy course load in dental/med school. There's a conflict there, but just start out easy on the first semester and don't get in over your head. i'm doing it in 2 years.

From what I understand UMDNJ is a 1.5-2 year track right? Is it possible to finish it off in one year + one summer? ie, graduate from undergrad, go straight to classes, graduate the following year and be done with it .

As for the library i walk in with my coffee in one of those metal covered thermal mugs and the front desk never bothers me, it's because there was a rat problem at one time..

So for those GSBS students here, i'm looking to make a study group for fundamentals I (Dr. lea's class). We just had the midterm, i would like to have a group to go over the final with.

anyone interested?? sent me a message.
Lora

those three points that i highlighted....are definitely good points. I dont feel like I belong with the grad students.. I mean they do have the GSA (Graduate Students Association) but since orientation, I hardly hear from them. They send a few emails out about events but sporadically.

No MCAT review course whatsoever and I do not see one happening anytime soon that will be STRUCTURED from the program. I know that some students are doing their own study groups, but if that is SUPER important to you..to have a review course/prep thats a no-go.

The library thing/the gym thing..so true :laugh:

But the classes are great. I feel like my confidence has gone up because I am enjoying the material a lot...

okay...I'm done :D

Last edited:
As for the library i walk in with my coffee in one of those metal covered thermal mugs and the front desk never bothers me, it's because there was a rat problem at one time..

how come they catch and yell at me every single time?? dangg gues they just hate me.

I think u cant have those dunkin donut coffee cups, but they allow the metal thermos mugs...who knows why.

I,ve been away for quite some time now... miss SDN days, anyway since i had to take a long break from persuing my nagging love to go to medical I think I might have to go for a masters... so was hoping someone could give me some info on the program. I can't find any detailled info on the UMDNJ site. What classes are mandatory/electives...what's the curriculum to complete the degree?
I have lived in Newark for the most part of my life and really don't want to go else where, having to relocate my family is not an option.

Thanks

BTW has anyone seen/met Mercedes Letman? is she still the Director of admin?

Try going to gsbs.umdnj.edu site and following the Newark Campus link and then from there go under the prospective students tab and you should get information from there.

And Mercedes Lettman is still here, not sure if she is the director of admissions anymore though..she goes by the name Rivero now..but I think her email is still under the Lettman name..

Try going to gsbs.umdnj.edu site and following the Newark Campus link and then from there go under the prospective students tab and you should get information from there.

And Mercedes Lettman is still here, not sure if she is the director of admissions anymore though..she goes by the name Rivero now..but I think her email is still under the Lettman name..

Yeah I tryed that, but they only have a full description of the phd programs. the MS/MBS link sends me to "page cannot be found", I'm going to call and see if they can send me some info, thanks

I was on my phone earlier so I couldnt get the website..but try this one:

http://njms.umdnj.edu/gsbs/academic_programs/masters_programs.htm

I had been there too but the only thing they give is this:

Masters – 30 credits with a grade point average of “B” or better.

MS (Masters of Science in Biomedical Science) - 25 credits of course work with a grade point average of “B” or better. Original laboratory (5 credits) research culminating in a written Thesis acceptable to an advisory committee and the graduate school.

MBS (Masters of Biomedical Science) - 30 credits of coursework and maintain a “B” average.

In addition to electives, all Masters Students must take:

1. Seminar in Biomedical Sciences (1 credit)
2. Research in Biomedical Sciences – lab rotation – (2 credits)
3. Any one of the following 4 options:

i) Fundamentals in Biomedical Sciences I (Fall) & 2 (Spring) – 6 credits over 2 semesters; one evening a week 6 – 9 pm
ii) Evening Core: Molecular and Cellular Biology – 5 credits over two semesters; one evening a week 6 – 9 pm (for those considering application to a PhD program)
iii) Molecular and Genetic Medicine – 7 credits, Fall semester w/ limited enrollment. (for those contemplating application to the Medical or Osteopathic School)
iv) Dental Physiology (Fall) and Dental Biochemistry (Spring) w/limited enrollment. (for those contemplating application to the Dental School)

I was looking for the actual classes they require you to take and the electives they offer, I can only account 10 credits here.... don't worry about I'm going to send them an email anyway

Thanks again, E

by the way to all of you in the Newark campus, that area might not be the best to wander off campus, but if you go down to the "ironbound) area, you'll love it there, especially the food (and their prices) lets not forget all bakeries...plus people are welcoming...there are also a bunch of "unwining" cool places to hang out after dinner:soexcited:.

Hey guys,

It seems like eons ago that I followed you all as you applied and gathered information on GSBS (during the first few pages of this thread). I will be applying to this program for Fall 2010 but am a bit confused.

I am looking to do a one year program, and apply to medical school at its completion (leaving a gap year during which I will attempt to recuperate some monies). Is the program taken by most people looking to jump to medical school the one year certificate program? Or is it a 1.5 or 2 year full masters? Do you take the two classes with the NJMS kiddos only in one of those programs? Does NJMS look at the different programs...well, differently (when judging on your med school application)? Clearly there are multiple options in GSBS and I probably have them all jumbled up. Thanks for the help ^_^

Last edited:
Hey guys,

It seems like eons ago that I followed you all as you applied and gathered information on GSBS (during the first few pages of this thread). I will be applying to this program for Fall 2010 but am a bit confused.

I am looking to do a one year program, and apply to medical school at its completion (leaving a gap year during which I will attempt to recuperate some monies). Is the program taken by most people looking to jump to medical school the one year certificate program? Or is it a 1.5 or 2 year full masters? Do you take the two classes with the NJMS kiddos only in one of those programs? Does NJMS look at the different programs...well, differently (when judging on your med school application)? Clearly there are multiple options in GSBS and I probably have them all jumbled up. Thanks for the help ^_^

I applied to med school during the summer and am currently enrolled in the GSBS as a master's student on the non-thesis track. In retrospect I should have done what you are planning to do, that is to apply after you complete the program. The med school won't see my first semester grades until January and by that time it might be a little too late; although both NJMS and RWJMS have asked to see my fall 09 grades when they come in.

I have a few options laid out before me, all sort of hinging on whether or not I get into medical school this year or the next. I am currently taking 13 credits and plan on taking 11 next semester, I did this on purpose so if I do get accepted into next year's NJMS class I can transfer the 6 credits I need and complete my masters while I am in med school. If I don't get into NJMS this year I can complete the program in 1.5 yrs. It is really difficult to complete the master's program in one year especially since the advisors don't let you load up on credits during the first semester.

As for the two medical school classes you can take: you can take them as a masters student, but you need to express interest in taking them on your application and have a competitive GPA and MCAT score. They will inform you if you can take them a few weeks before registration. The two courses are Molecular and Genetic Medicine (MGM) taken in the fall and Human Physiology taken in the spring. There is a bit of a caveat here; however. If you are planning on transferring med school credits to finish your masters, which in your situation is not the case, you can only do so if you take ONE medical school course. If you take both MGM and Physiology you will be unable to transfer any credits. Also, if you take MGM and do well, you do not have to take it when you go to NJMS, but if you take and do well in Human Physiology you still have to take the course regardless of your grade if you go to NJMS. This is because unlike MGM, Human Physiology is not a full medical school course. The full medical school course is Integrated Structure and Function (ISF); which includes histology and histology lab along with physio. The school doesn't let grad students take the histo part because it is very heavy on anatomy.

The med school does like to see students complete whatever program they are in before going into medical school, or at least have a plan, like the credit transfer deal. Dr. Heinrich doesn't look kindly on people who get into the masters and apply to med school only to leave their masters uncompleted, or so I have heard. I met with Dr. Heinrich recently and he was pleased that I didn't give up after med school rejection and like the courses I was taking at GSBS. I am not sure how differently they weigh each of the programs, as I am only in the masters program. But I would definitely consider each option carefully as well as schedule a talk with Dr. Heinrich. He has advisement hours in which he councils and guides people interested in applying to NJMS, he can definitely provide you with more help than I.

I hope I answered some of your questions,
best of luck!

I applied to med school during the summer and am currently enrolled in the GSBS as a master's student on the non-thesis track. In retrospect I should have done what you are planning to do, that is to apply after you complete the program. The med school won't see my first semester grades until January and by that time it might be a little too late; although both NJMS and RWJMS have asked to see my fall 09 grades when they come in.

I have a few options laid out before me, all sort of hinging on whether or not I get into medical school this year or the next. I am currently taking 13 credits and plan on taking 11 next semester, I did this on purpose so if I do get accepted into next year's NJMS class I can transfer the 6 credits I need and complete my masters while I am in med school. If I don't get into NJMS this year I can complete the program in 1.5 yrs. It is really difficult to complete the master's program in one year especially since the advisors don't let you load up on credits during the first semester.

As for the two medical school classes you can take: you can take them as a masters student, but you need to express interest in taking them on your application and have a competitive GPA and MCAT score. They will inform you if you can take them a few weeks before registration. The two courses are Molecular and Genetic Medicine (MGM) taken in the fall and Human Physiology taken in the spring. There is a bit of a caveat here; however. If you are planning on transferring med school credits to finish your masters, which in your situation is not the case, you can only do so if you take ONE medical school course. If you take both MGM and Physiology you will be unable to transfer any credits. Also, if you take MGM and do well, you do not have to take it when you go to NJMS, but if you take and do well in Human Physiology you still have to take the course regardless of your grade if you go to NJMS. This is because unlike MGM, Human Physiology is not a full medical school course. The full medical school course is Integrated Structure and Function (ISF); which includes histology and histology lab along with physio. The school doesn't let grad students take the histo part because it is very heavy on anatomy.

The med school does like to see students complete whatever program they are in before going into medical school, or at least have a plan, like the credit transfer deal. Dr. Heinrich doesn't look kindly on people who get into the masters and apply to med school only to leave their masters uncompleted, or so I have heard. I met with Dr. Heinrich recently and he was pleased that I didn't give up after med school rejection and like the courses I was taking at GSBS. I am not sure how differently they weigh each of the programs, as I am only in the masters program. But I would definitely consider each option carefully as well as schedule a talk with Dr. Heinrich. He has advisement hours in which he councils and guides people interested in applying to NJMS, he can definitely provide you with more help than I.

I hope I answered some of your questions,
best of luck!

Thank you so much for your advice. Based on that information, I will be looking to apply for the complete masters program, and I will apply to medical school after completing the first year of it (with my gap year being used completing the masters in the 3rd or 4th semester). Best of luck with the completion of the program! :)

can't believe we're registering for spring semester already!? :eek: phew~ time flew!

what are ya'lls plans for next semester?

i'm planning on taking:

fund II
topics in pharm
developmental bio
molecular basis of reproduction

total = 11 credits + research

can't believe we're registering for spring semester already!? :eek: phew~ time flew!

what are ya'lls plans for next semester?

i'm planning on taking:

fund II
topics in pharm
developmental bio
molecular basis of reproduction

total = 11 credits + research

I plan on taking fundamentals 2, microbes and infectious diseasee, and also developmental bio...other than that nothing else. Maybe pick up a rotation?? I havent even begun to look at labs yet. :smack:

fund2, microbes & infectious diseases are the only classes i have down for sure...meeting with dr. wagner tomorrow so hopefully my schedule is a lot clearer after that.

Quick question. I am interested in starting this program in Fall of 2010. Is January early enough to apply? I am especially interested in the 1 year timeframe with the emphasis on oral health (I am interested in Dental School). I have a 3.25 GPA and 19 DAT. Any feedback is greatly appreciated :).

Hey kaDa, I'm a pre-dental student in the gsbs program trying to finish it in 1 year. let me know if you have any questions regarding what classes to take or anything u want to know about the school. January is definitely early enough to apply-I think I applied around early February, but its better to be early than late.

I applied in the middle of February and it was early enough, so January is fine.

As for next semester I am taking microbes and infectious disease, developmental bio, molecular basis of repro, and regional gross anatomy. So looks like I'll see a lot of you guys in microbes haha.

Albuterol: Are you in the MS or MBS program (I'm sure you've said it a million times already :))? Also, the application only states this for the essay (see below). Did you write about your interest in attending dental school or your interest in biomedical science? Thanks so much for your help!

Attach a statement expressing your motivation and aims for graduate study in the proposed major field.

Albuterol: Are you in the MS or MBS program (I'm sure you've said it a million times already :))? Also, the application only states this for the essay (see below). Did you write about your interest in attending dental school or your interest in biomedical science? Thanks so much for your help!

Attach a statement expressing your motivation and aims for graduate study in the proposed major field.

Hey JMC- I'm in the MBS program and am currently applying to dental school for Fall 2010, so I am trying to complete the program in 1 year. As for the essay, I talked about how I got interested in dentistry, wanting to go to dental school, and how the program can help make me a better applicant/prepare me for challenges that lay ahead, etc. I think it was about 1pg in length. If you have any more questions, feel free to post here or PM. good luck

I got into UMDNJ's GSBS masters program but at stratford for jan. are any of you at stratford and could tell me a few things regarding the campus, courses,whether there are alot of pre-dents etc etc. I'm guessing a majority of you are at Newark? I was going to apply there but i dont think they had spring acceptance and stratford did. thanks

ya stratford is really ghetto newark is so much nicer :D

Dr. Wagner suggested I consider doing the program in one year. She also does not recommend MGM for me because I do not have a foundation in biochemistry (though I will have to take it if I do the program in one year). I am concerned with the workload being too heavy for me to achieve the success I will need to get into medical school; I have no problem with doing this in 3 semesters if it means better grades. Any of you doing this in one year? Is that common? What do you think about that? Thanks!

repeat post - epic lag

Last edited:
Dr. Wagner suggested I consider doing the program in one year. She also does not recommend MGM for me because I do not have a foundation in biochemistry (though I will have to take it if I do the program in one year). I am concerned with the workload being too heavy for me to achieve the success I will need to get into medical school; I have no problem with doing this in 3 semesters if it means better grades. Any of you doing this in one year? Is that common? What do you think about that? Thanks!

Well i'm assuming that you plan on going to Med school due to the MGM comment. The very important thing about this program that admissions doesn't tell you is that you can transfer 6 credits back to finish your master's degree from any medical school or dental school you get into. So you only have to finish 24 credits instead of 30 at UMDNJ, which can be manageable for one year. I'd suggest 1.5 years if you want to finish the 30 credits completely at the master's program. I'm personally doing it this way; 9 credits in the fall semester, 12 in the spring, and 3 in the summer (there is only one summer course offered) for a total of 24 credits, and i'd take 6 next semester. So if I got into dental school this year based mostly on my undergrad numbers I could leave UMDNJ and still earn my master's degree.

If this is unclear let me know.

Hello all,

I have been reading through your thread for a while. I am a current applicant for the UMDNJ-MBS Fall 2010 class. I have already submitted my application and just waiting to hear back. I am also applying to 8 other grad programs that are a mix of masters and post-bacs. I am trying to decide where to go.

I just wanted to know a few things.

For those who are currently in the program and have already completed your first semester can you please explain the difficulty of the program? The pros and cons? Was this program a good choice? If you had a chance to choice a program all over again would you still pick UMDNJ MBS program?

How well know is the program? Is this program only useful if you are trying to apply to Jersey Medical Schools?

Does anyone know anything about the combined MBS/MPH? I applied for that program as well.

Thanks

cmcner, thanks for the information. I will definitely consider doing it in one year, with the one summer course, and the 6 postponed credits.

I have one further question. One reason Dr. Wagner was hesitant for me to take MGM (despite ultimately deciding I should take it in order to do the program in 1 year) is that I do not have a background in biochemistry. Would biochem be beneficial before taking MGM? I ask because I could take a summer class in Biochem at Rutgers before matriculating in the GSBS program this coming fall. If taking biochem would increase my chances at success in MGM then I'm all for it. What do you think?

Secondly, when does the fall semester start? Is it different based on whether or not you are taking MGM (i seem to recall something like this from somewhere in the 15 pages of this thread)?

Thank you all again for helping answer these questions...I will make sure to pay it forward next year on the forums...

Yes WUbear, the schedules are different. Since MGM is a med school it starts mid to late October through December (block scheduling) whereas other graduate courses vary with their start date from late August to early September.
I did not take MGM so I can't answer to how it is structured but I would assume @ this point, you shouldn't worry about taking an extra course of the summer. Just seems time consuming and costly if you are already gonna be starting the program this Fall (my opinion though lol).

I am enjoying the program. There are a lot of good classes to choose from including medical and PhD courses. I would definitely choose to this program over again in a heartbeat. You just have to devise a plan on the classes, research, etc etc based on the amount of time you plan to do the program. Drs. Wagner and Garrett are great people to talk to about that, so good job on speaking to the already. Being from this state, it was the best option for me because it is very inexpensive.

If you have any specific questions, PM me or post on this forum. Just so you know I did not take MGM yet and I am not on the 1 year track, so I cannot help you with those areas. Best of luck!!

cmcner, thanks for the information. I will definitely consider doing it in one year, with the one summer course, and the 6 postponed credits.

I have one further question. One reason Dr. Wagner was hesitant for me to take MGM (despite ultimately deciding I should take it in order to do the program in 1 year) is that I do not have a background in biochemistry. Would biochem be beneficial before taking MGM? I ask because I could take a summer class in Biochem at Rutgers before matriculating in the GSBS program this coming fall. If taking biochem would increase my chances at success in MGM then I'm all for it. What do you think?

Secondly, when does the fall semester start? Is it different based on whether or not you are taking MGM (i seem to recall something like this from somewhere in the 15 pages of this thread)?

Thank you all again for helping answer these questions...I will make sure to pay it forward next year on the forums...

I did not "officially" take MGM, but I sat in it. It is hard-core biochemistry!! If you've NEVER taken biochemistry in your life, then MGM will be challenge, unless you are super book-smart.... you really might want to prep yourself. biochemistry, already, is a hard subject. it is a lot of memorizing and understanding the details. I've taken biochemistry twice in my life and I still don't even know everything. If you really plan on taking the MGM and you've never seen biochemistry before, I personally think taking the summer biochem class is a must. i don't think the summer class will be necessary if you decide to do just fundamentals. but its MGM, we're talking about. and you don't wnat to fail MGM,.. that's like kissing your ass good bye to med school. at least you'll be familiar with the topics when MGM starts with the summer course. I think it will definitely help you better succeed. but that's just my personal opinion. good luck -

WUbear,

Dr. Garrett is in charge of reviewing the academic records of admitted students and deciding who is allowed to take MGM. So, if you want to know whether taking biochemistry in the summer at Rutgers will directly affect whether you will be placed in MGM or not, you should e-mail him. However, it might also be helpful to know that even if you are not selected for MGM this year, with a good performance in the program, you may be selected for the following year; in fact, half the master's students in MGM were second-year students. Moreover, since biochemistry is such a common undergraduate premedical course, doing well in the course seems very helpful, especially if you're battling an unfavorable GPA. On the other hand, many consider biochemistry on par with organic chemistry in terms of difficulty, so weigh carefully since a poor performance can hurt you.

DrChuck24 says you might better spend your time elsewhere. I thiink the goal should be to have an MCAT score that is as close as possible to the average (if not above it) at the medical schools to which you're applying. If you don't have this yet or haven't already taken the MCAT three times, I agree with her 100%. I would set aside a very good amount of uninterrupted time for this, and I think investing some money in a commercial prep class is well worth it, more so than a biochemistry class. From personal experience, I found the Kaplan course very useful. The classes were okay, but the online materials were unbelievably helpful.

Also, you asked about finishing in one year. Doing it this way is a bit tight, but it is very possible, and in fact, a good number of students, inclduing myself, are able to do it. For my first and second semester, I'm taking 13 and 12 credits respectively, and in the summer, I am doing a master's thesis for 5 credits. However, the majority of students complete their master's in 3 semesters.

diva09,

I don't regret my choice of UMDNJ-GSBS, and overall, my experience has been positive. The education is outstanding, and the faculty is very approachable. Also, I really enjoyed doing research in the biochemistry department for my rotation. In terms of the courses being difficult, I don't know anyone who works hard and isn't able to do well. I think a big downside is that the area surrounding the hospital seems unsafe and is very unworthwhile, but some have said there are other areas of Newark that are better. If you've visit, then you know what I'm talking about.