UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think there is an academic update - i havent heard anything to the contrary.

It is worth it to apply to a lot of schools - are you going to UMDNJ GSBS in the fall?

Depends how you are doing on your practice test. What you can do is submit one school now - only cost you $150 or so - then when you get score decide whether or not to apply to more. That way if you're not happy with your score you only lose $150 whereas if you like your score AMCAS will have already processed your app and you can add schools on immediately and be ready to go

Members don't see this ad.

is anyone planning to live in 180 w. market? after considering all the facts, i decided to live there while i'm doing gsbs. they only have 3 bedrm/1 bath apts left, but i rather stay close to school and not worrying about getting furniture or driving. anyone else?

is anyone planning to live in 180 w. market? after considering all the facts, i decided to live there while i'm doing gsbs. they only have 3 bedrm/1 bath apts left, but i rather stay close to school and not worrying about getting furniture or driving. anyone else?

do they accept dogs?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys! havent posted here in a while. im applying to 7 med schools and hoping that i get into rwjms so my credits from this upcoming fall will transfer. good luck to everyone! :oops:

If anyone is interested in sharing a place with me and my lil dog, please PM me. My planned move-in date is either July or Aug, depends. Asian male, doesnt matter if I share with girl or guy, but must be a clean quiet student pref the same program.. Anyway, just PM me if interested. Oh yeh, looking for a place with offstreet/garage parking.

I just sent my application for 180 w.market place

yep, me. i handed my application a couple weeks ago. i haven't heard back from them yet.

I will be living in the on-campus housing. I don't have time to make a trip up there and look for apartments:( I faxed in my housing form yesterday and have yet to send my deposit and mennigicocal form. The lady in housing said as long as my app is in they will reserve a room for me and she also said to get the check and M. form in asap. They do have rooms available (3 br only though) but they are going quickly.

is the deposit refundable? I am still waiting on another school to get into , but i would like to lock down housing at nj if its refundable

When are u guys planning on moving into your places. I plan on moving to NJ Aug 17. Providing I find a place to live while I am up there thur.

I read somewhere they let students move into the campus housing 48 hours before orientation of their respective programs. So I plan on arriving on Aug 17th as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

This question is directed more towards the pre-meds out there. I am currently filling out my AMCAS application and want to put down that I am attending GSBS, but I am not sure where to put it. If I put it under the "colleges attended" tab I am required to submit a transcript. I emailed AMCAS about this and the reply they sent me wasn't that helpful. So I am wondering if you guys might know what to do,

Thanks!

You need to put it under colleges attended. but IIRC there is an option for in progress, and then you dont have to send a transcript until you complete the courses. Then you have to. It's a temporary transcript exemption; someone else just started a thread on it
I applied last year so something might have changed, and im not applying again till next summer

i just submitted mine last week and i put my RU/UMDNJ courses on there. there should be a check box under "Special Course Type" right after you input the coursework and then I checked "Current/Future".

Click on "Main menu" and under "Status Info" click on "Details". Under transcripts it should say "Transcript Status: Not required"

hello everyone,

i ve been reading most of the posts on this topic. And I had a few qs. I ll be a senior in the fall, and my gpa is 2.95 should be about a 3.1ish by the time i graduate, maybe a 3.15 and scgpa around a 3. Im not sure what the best course of action is to get into med school eventually. i m instate for nj, so my plan was to do the MBS and then get into UMDNJ hopefully. im taking the mcat in august and hopefully aiming for a 30+. so if i apply next summer to med schools, and enroll in the UMDNJ program next fall, do i keep updating med schools with my grades? to improve my chances. Or is it better to wait till the program is over and then apply essentialy two years from now. And how good does this program look to other med schools, and is there a way to remove the glide year between finishing this program and enrolling in a med school. Also i read that its possible to just take a couple courses bump up the gpa and move on rather than get a full MS etc. So i d appreciate any advice/tips, on what you guys think i should do. thanks a lot

hopeinternist

I wouldnt bother applying next summer if you have a GPA around 3.15 w/sci of 3.0. You'll need a full years grades to be taken seriously. Do the 3 semester plan MS, and apply the summer between semesters 2&3. Its your best bet.
You'll only be able to get in one semesters worth of grades with your current plan, and even if you get a 4.0, they won't take you with such a lower UG GPA. If you rock an entire year, you have a much better shot

Also, this won't change ur GPA. These are grad classes which will be accounted for separately from your UG GPA. So you won't be "bumping" any GPA, just so you understand how it works

Does this program look better than a postbacc? I still dont clearly understand the difference between a post bacc and smp. and i realize that some programs let u take classes with med school students, does that look better than getting an MS? I really dont care for the degree compared to just getting into med school eventually and as soon as possible. Ideally i d like to get into UMDNJ or RWJ, since i m in instate for NJ and it would be cost effective. SO i ve hrd some people talk about the one year program which would also be fine with me. So if i did what you said, i would enroll into med school fall 2012, but i d have a good shot at several schools and have a competitive application. Also any reasons for not just retaking my pre reqs and doing better in those? would that be better than takin grad level classes?

Does this program look better than a postbacc? I still dont clearly understand the difference between a post bacc and smp. and i realize that some programs let u take classes with med school students, does that look better than getting an MS? I really dont care for the degree compared to just getting into med school eventually and as soon as possible. Ideally i d like to get into UMDNJ or RWJ, since i m in instate for NJ and it would be cost effective. SO i ve hrd some people talk about the one year program which would also be fine with me. So if i did what you said, i would enroll into med school fall 2012, but i d have a good shot at several schools and have a competitive application. Also any reasons for not just retaking my pre reqs and doing better in those? would that be better than takin grad level classes?

At one point i contemplated the same thing. i worked too many hours part time while taking some hard classes, so half my semesters werw 3.5 and up and other sucked. so i asked some advisors about what looked better-retaking undergrad classes i didn't do that well in or taking grad classes, and I 've been told by many advisors that an A in graduate level biochem looks alot better than retaking an undergrad level biochem and getting an A. Taking grad clases will def be harder, but a more convincing statement when you are reviewed by medical schools.

At one point i contemplated the same thing. i worked too many hours part time while taking some hard classes, so half my semesters werw 3.5 and up and other sucked. so i asked some advisors about what looked better-retaking undergrad classes i didn't do that well in or taking grad classes, and I 've been told by many advisors that an A in graduate level biochem looks alot better than retaking an undergrad level biochem and getting an A. Taking grad clases will def be harder, but a more convincing statement when you are reviewed by medical schools.

all of the postbacks I know did post bac because they needed to complete the two bios,two chems, organic chems and physics, because they majored in something other than biology and chem, two majors that cover these three sciences, when they initially enrolled in college. best of luck

I see, thanks for the quick reply. I understand that it is a 3 semester program, is it favorable to finish it in one year ? not get the MS and just have that year off, well i guess it makes more sense to keep yourself busy since you will be only dealing with interviews etc. so that would be your last semester. How much does doing this program improve ur chances for getting into umdnj or rwj compared to doing a different program.

I see, thanks for the quick reply. I understand that it is a 3 semester program, is it favorable to finish it in one year ? not get the MS and just have that year off, well i guess it makes more sense to keep yourself busy since you will be only dealing with interviews etc. so that would be your last semester. How much does doing this program improve ur chances for getting into umdnj or rwj compared to doing a different program.

im not sure, but since you have the option of taking dental/medical classes, if you do well, you're basically proving that you're just as competent/intelligent as far as grasping the concepts goes. some ppl do the public health option, but if yu're gpa was low, i don't see how taking classes that sound more like bloustein school of public policy courses will tell them anything about your intellectual science capability. the purpose of gsbs is to prove that your past academic record is not a reflection of your true potential .

It depends what you plan on doing in year off - if you dont have any plans then do the 3 semester plan, and you'll still have like 7-8 months off from Jan-Aug when you'd hopefulyl start med school.

there are no links to either rwj or njms nor are there stats on how many go on to med/dent school

would u recommend this program, even with a science gpa of about 2.7 and a gpa of just below 3.0? I m dont understand if it would be better to do a program like this, or just take random classes at a state college, upper level that is, and boost ur gpa. would that count as undergrad gpa boosters? i dont understand the difference between the post bacc and smp basically? and why would programs encourage you to apply during the program? how would u keep updating med schools with your progress? Also on a very side note, is getting a hospitalist considered a competitive residency? aka harder for DOs to get placed into?

would u recommend this program, even with a science gpa of about 2.7 and a gpa of just below 3.0?

Yes, because with those stats, getting into a US med school is a long shot. If you increase it, you may be competitive for a DO.

I m dont understand if it would be better to do a program like this, or just take random classes at a state college, upper level that is, and boost ur gpa. would that count as undergrad gpa boosters?

taking random classes at a state college would not boost your BCPM GPA... it may increase it a little for the cumulative GPA.

i dont understand the difference between the post bacc and smp basically? and why would programs encourage you to apply during the program?

Rutgers post-bacc is for people who did not major in the sciences but already have a bachelor's degree in something other than the sciences. these people are usually the ones who return to school and non-traditional students who decided to have a change of life plans. in other words, post-bacc's aren't for those who already took science classes.

SMPs are special masters programs (UMDNJ Newark or Stratford) and are different from post-baccs. it is basically graduate school... people who have majored in the sciences but want to increase their GPA somehow. UMDNJ-Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences in Newark and Stratford have non-thesis options which lead to the Masters of Biomedical Science Degree (MBS). The top students are allowed to take med or dental school classes. these students are the ones who are trying to get into med or dental school

UMDNJ-Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School is a joint program with Rutgers but is a traditional Master of Science (MS) program. You graduate with two degrees from both schools but it is hard to get into. you are required to do a thesis and research. One perk is that I got into the anatomy and genetic classes for fall sem (13 credits) plus histology and neurobiology (6 credits) in the spring bc I'm the only master's student. Most of the students are here to get their Ph.D.'s or regular M.S., and it is not an SMP. No one I know of is trying to get into med or dental school besides me.

how would u keep updating med schools with your progress? Also on a very side note, is getting a hospitalist considered a competitive residency? aka harder for DOs to get placed into?

You have to do everything yourself. Don't apply if you think your stats aren't that great. Maybe you would want to finish the program first. Most of the time med schools look at numbers on the primary and secondary applications to see who makes the cut. Not all programs urge you to apply during the SMP. If you feel like you're competitive for med school (mean GPA of matriculants 3.7 and MCAT of 32), then go for it. Primary care isn't really a competitive residency. DO's are usually placed in primary care bc that's what they're supposed to do... manipulative medicine. I don't think you have to worry about this one.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Well SMPs..special masters programs are different from post bacs because in all SMPs you can take graduate level science courses and in some cases med classes. Schools favor these programs because it shows you are able to excel in those classes that are upper level sciences. People apply while in the program if their stats are borderline and/or a bit above borderline..like around 3.3 and 30. Students update the schools by constantly forwarding their transcripts after each semester and letters of intent (LOIs)and sometimes even more letters of recommendations (LORs).

I think with those numbers I am not sure about doing this program...I would love to hear anyone's opinion of that. If you should still do this program despite having numbers below a 3.0..or continue to take undergraduate classes to boost the GPA up? Which one is better and favored??

I think with those numbers I am not sure about doing this program...I would love to hear anyone's opinion of that. If you should still do this program despite having numbers below a 3.0..or continue to take undergraduate classes to boost the GPA up? Which one is better and favored??

I wasn't sure about the minimum requirements to get into UMDNJ in Newark or Stratford. Usually its 3.0 minimum GPA. If you can get into it I think that's better than taking undergrad classes bc no matter what, the BCPM will always stay the same. If you graduated with a Bachelor's then went back to school to take fluff classes, I think it won't be that great to see on the transcript... I say grad school is the way to go. I think the SMP's classes count toward BCPM. Just give it a shot if you can. Good luck

would u recommend this program, even with a science gpa of about 2.7 and a gpa of just below 3.0? I m dont understand if it would be better to do a program like this, or just take random classes at a state college, upper level that is, and boost ur gpa. would that count as undergrad gpa boosters? i dont understand the difference between the post bacc and smp basically? and why would programs encourage you to apply during the program? how would u keep updating med schools with your progress? Also on a very side note, is getting a hospitalist considered a competitive residency? aka harder for DOs to get placed into?

To be honest, you getting into med school is a long shot. You'd have to go to an SMP and rock it to have any chance of getting into a DO school. You won't get into an MD school with a 2.7 sci GPA and you'd spend 10yrs taking enough undergrad classes to raise it above a 3.0.

Your best bet is an SMP and applications to foreign med schools and DO schools - you are a long way from being competitive for MD schools. DrChuck was right tho, SMPs are aimed at fringe candidates to give them a bit of kick up (fringe boundary being >3.2 and a >28 MCAT)

PS, DrChuck, how are you doing? are you excited to go to grad school? I am! :)

Hey jxc..I am doing well..I am excited to do this program. I really hope it puts me a better position for medical school. Honestly I am have to 4.0 (though I know its hard)...I'm very nervous because I'm on my final straws..gotta keep praying because I really want to become a physician. Messed up in undergrad, now just gotta do what I have to just to get there. I am happy that your situation. You are in a great position. Setting yourself up real nice :D

Hi there,

I just got accepted to this program for Fall 2009. I see many others have already been accepted as well. I just graduated from Rutgers with a B.A. in Biological Sciences. Got a bit delayed w/ the MCATs and LORs, so ended up getting delayed a year - thought this program was the best option. I was definitely a bit worried for a while 'cuz I applied literally a few days before the deadline. =P

Anyway, look forward to meeting you all next year. Have any of you emailed professors about the classes you want to take, or we don't worry about that at all until the orientation in August?

So it would be in my best interest to do a SMP instead of a post bacc? I am looking at DO schools, since I am interested in primary care and just being an internist at the end of everything. What about LECOMS post bacc, after reading their description i couldnt tell if it was for pre meds or people who have done a ton of science classes and need more science classes to boost gpa. And i m not sure if anyone can answer this but for AAMCOAS? (the DO one ) if i retake a class the new grade gets averaged right? but what if i take the same class at a different school, does that get replaced since its the same course material or is it two different grades? I d really prefer to attend a US med school, and dont wanna consider foreign med schools at all. So i m willing to work hard at a post bacc and make it into a solid DO school. Is that possible with one year of SMP? to make up for a crappy undergrad? and >30 MCAT

So it would be in my best interest to do a SMP instead of a post bacc? I am looking at DO schools, since I am interested in primary care and just being an internist at the end of everything. What about LECOMS post bacc, after reading their description i couldnt tell if it was for pre meds or people who have done a ton of science classes and need more science classes to boost gpa. And i m not sure if anyone can answer this but for AAMCOAS? (the DO one ) if i retake a class the new grade gets averaged right? but what if i take the same class at a different school, does that get replaced since its the same course material or is it two different grades? I d really prefer to attend a US med school, and dont wanna consider foreign med schools at all. So i m willing to work hard at a post bacc and make it into a solid DO school. Is that possible with one year of SMP? to make up for a crappy undergrad? and >30 MCAT

The new grade is replaced not averaged with the osteopathic application..would probably hit up the pre-osteo forums to get those other specific questions answered about the application service.

Hi there,

I just got accepted to this program for Fall 2009. I see many others have already been accepted as well. I just graduated from Rutgers with a B.A. in Biological Sciences. Got a bit delayed w/ the MCATs and LORs, so ended up getting delayed a year - thought this program was the best option. I was definitely a bit worried for a while 'cuz I applied literally a few days before the deadline. =P

Anyway, look forward to meeting you all next year. Have any of you emailed professors about the classes you want to take, or we don't worry about that at all until the orientation in August?

Rutgers is definitely in the building!! But congratulations on your acceptance. Yes we register during orientation on August 19th. Also only a select few students are allowed to take medical/dental courses and they will be notified of that before the end of June.

See you in the Fall.

You are still a relatively long way from being competitive at a DO school. I just looked up St. George's in Grenada and their average stats, which was a GPA of 3.34 and a 28. As you can see, you are still a ways away from meeting their average criteria.

Grad school is a lot harder than undergrad, and I recommend you seriously think through whether you can get a 3.7+ as a grad student when, no offense, you couldn't do it as an undergrad. At UMDNJ-GSBS, the pre-meds hope to take the med school classes - to be honest, if you can't get an A in intro bio/chem - what makes you think you can out-compete the medical students to get an A, A-, or B+ in their classes? Just being honest - if you had some horrible circumstances as an undergrad and then saw the light, then go for it.

Also bear in mind, getting a >30 on the MCAT, isn't easy. It's not completely a case of just sitting down and studying, if you got poor (lower than a B) in the pre-med requirements, it's going to be really hard to pull a 30. Not that it doesn't happen, I bet it does, but statistically, I bet people who get lower than around a 3.0 don't score >30 often.\

In summary, you are a long way from med school - and if you aren't willing to consider foreign med schools than you ought to start thinking about being a PA or APRN as it will be easier for you to get in, cheaper, and you can still practice in primary care.

Oh and DrChuck is right on about the replacing thing for grades!

You are still a relatively long way from being competitive at a DO school. I just looked up St. George's in Grenada and their average stats, which was a GPA of 3.34 and a 28. As you can see, you are still a ways away from meeting their average criteria.

Grad school is a lot harder than undergrad, and I recommend you seriously think through whether you can get a 3.7+ as a grad student when, no offense, you couldn't do it as an undergrad. At UMDNJ-GSBS, the pre-meds hope to take the med school classes - to be honest, if you can't get an A in intro bio/chem - what makes you think you can out-compete the medical students to get an A, A-, or B+ in their classes? Just being honest - if you had some horrible circumstances as an undergrad and then saw the light, then go for it.

Also bear in mind, getting a >30 on the MCAT, isn't easy. It's not completely a case of just sitting down and studying, if you got poor (lower than a B) in the pre-med requirements, it's going to be really hard to pull a 30. Not that it doesn't happen, I bet it does, but statistically, I bet people who get lower than around a 3.0 don't score >30 often.\

In summary, you are a long way from med school - and if you aren't willing to consider foreign med schools than you ought to start thinking about being a PA or APRN as it will be easier for you to get in, cheaper, and you can still practice in primary care.

Oh and DrChuck is right on about the replacing thing for grades!

Just curious . Is is possible or okay to take undergrad classes after finishing grad school(after UMDNJ GSBS MBS)?

It is possible, I wouldn't. It doesn't make sense to take advanced classes, and then go back and take essentially the intro classes.

Yeah I was on the fence about that too..but I would agree with Rob..taking undergrad classes after the fact defeats the purpose UNLESS you want repeat a pre-req for a higher grade (i.e. You failed or got a D in a course)

Yeah I was on the fence about that too..but I would agree with Rob..taking undergrad classes after the fact defeats the purpose UNLESS you want repeat a pre-req for a higher grade (i.e. You failed or got a D in a course)

What if you want to boost your undergrad science gpa?
and
Has anyone heard about a program that allow you to have MD after you get DO?
Anyone applied to market place housing heard anything from them??

Hey jxc..I am doing well..I am excited to do this program. I really hope it puts me a better position for medical school. Honestly I am have to 4.0 (though I know its hard)...I'm very nervous because I'm on my final straws..gotta keep praying because I really want to become a physician. Messed up in undergrad, now just gotta do what I have to just to get there. I am happy that your situation. You are in a great position. Setting yourself up real nice

Yes, we just gotta study real hard this upcoming semester/year. i know we all can do it! when you guys hang out you gotta let me know lol.

robflanker is right. My friend just finished MS-1 at SGU and said that with those stats it's gonna be hard to get into SGU. SGU is #1 in the caribbean... he says to try some other Caribbean school.

I am also applying to DO school and have already sent my AACOMAS. UMDNJ's avg MCAT is actually >29 with a 3.5 GPA. My friend just matriculated and had those stats. Check out this too. http://mdapplicants.com/schoolsummary.php?schoolid=157

What if you want to boost your undergrad science gpa?
and
Has anyone heard about a program that allow you to have MD after you get DO?
Anyone applied to market place housing heard anything from them??

Honestly here's what to do..there must be some schools in particular that you are interested in. Email them, visit and/or call to ask them if they favor graduate GPA (SMP-only) over undergraduate GPA. The reason why I say this is because some schools will strongly recognize the hardwork done in the science courses (grad level). They won't necessarily not take into account the grades in undergrad..it just helps the entire situation.

Now you wanna know if there are programs that allow you to get an MD after a DO. So you wanna be a doctor twice?? Lol..seriously without raging a DO vs MD debate..that is unheard of. Both are doctors and can practice medicine exceptionally well. And to note if you are in an osteo school..you can take the USMLE boards to help match in an MD residency. I hope that answers your questions.

Now you wanna know if there are programs that allow you to get an MD after a DO. So you wanna be a doctor twice?? Lol..seriously without raging a DO vs MD debate..that is unheard of. Both are doctors and can practice medicine exceptionally well. And to note if you are in an osteo school..you can take the USMLE boards to help match in an MD residency. I hope that answers your questions.

Well said DrChuck. I believe premed11, that you may want to think about why you want to go to med school. I get the feeling you want MD after your name and thats all. This isnt the time nor place as DrChuck said for an MDvsDO discussion but you are nowhere near competitive for MD, DO or foreign at this point. Your best hope is to make yourself for top-tier foreign schools and mid- to low- tier DO schools by kicking ass over the next few years.
I think you need to go do some research on how this whole thing works. Sorry to sound like an ass, but I'm not sure you really know what you are talking about

Well said DrChuck. I believe premed11, that you may want to think about why you want to go to med school. I get the feeling you want MD after your name and thats all. This isnt the time nor place as DrChuck said for an MDvsDO discussion but you are nowhere near competitive for MD, DO or foreign at this point. Your best hope is to make yourself for top-tier foreign schools and mid- to low- tier DO schools by kicking ass over the next few years.
I think you need to go do some research on how this whole thing works. Sorry to sound like an ass, but I'm not sure you really know what you are talking about

I have looked through doctors at MGH and almost all of them are MDs. I think I saw one or two DOs and one with both. So my thought is after 4 years of hard work at osteo school I may be out competed by MDs just because of my degree.
And yes robflanker. All i want is MD after my name nothing else. :)

I have looked through doctors at MGH and almost all of them are MDs. I think I saw one or two DOs and one with both. So my thought is after 4 years of hard work at osteo school I may be out competed by MDs just because of my degree.
And yes robflanker. All i want is MD after my name nothing else. :)

whats MGH?? And you actually saw a doctor with both a DO and MD?? I dont know, I have not seen that at all.

If you want an MD then like Rob said, its a looooong way to go. Are you trying to get into NJMS or RWJMS??

I think he is mistaken. There is a foreign degree, earned by primarily Indian physicians, and they often have that degree and an MD or DO. I work in the medical field as an EMT and a drug rep and have met several hundred doctors. I have yet to meet someone with an MD and a DO. You'd have to spend 8 years in medical school, at an approximate cost of $50k a year, $400k in debt? Yeah I don't think so.

MGH is Mass General Hospital by the way.

i agree with Rob. i'm applying to RWJMS and NJMS right now and even with my stats 3.5 and >30 MCAT i still dont know if im even going to get an interview with them. my friends have GPA's of almost 4.0 and higher MCATs than me. i think you should try to focus on how to increase your GPA for now and forget about the MD/DO residencies until u get there. now if u increased ur GPA, worry about the next step... getting into a medical school

i don't think anyone will be outcompeted. there are spots for DOs and MDs. it depends on how you do on the board exam and what kind of board exams you take. even foreign medical schools are given residencies here in the US so relax!

for calculating my DO gpa, what if i just retook all my bad pre req (Cs) at a state school and got As wouldnt that make more sense that taking a full course list or SMP program for an MS etc. i m saying that, since dont they replace the grade for a repeated course? and also sign up for some upper level general classes at a state school as well to get that gpa up. What do you guys think?