UMDNJ-GSBS MBS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ok according to Dr. Wagner's info with 28 C's in oral microbio, I'm going to definitely skip this. Def not gonna risk my GPA when I dont have to.. Heres my tentative sched.

Fundamentals of Biomedical Science (GSND N500A) - 3 cr . Tues 6-9
Fundamentals in Pharmacology (PHPY N5021) - 3 cr. Wed 6-9
Cellular Pathology (PATH 5100Q) - 3cr. Mon 4-630
Basic Histology (CBMM N5001) - 3 cr. Thurs 6-9
Research Seminar (DENT 5910Q) - 1 cr. Fri 1-2

This is 13 credits, I'm also considering Intro to Structural Biology for 1 credit once a week Wed 10-11 which makes 14 credits. Trying to complete in 1 year and will do rotations in the summer if I have to. I figure I'd try to keep a light fall semester to feel things out, plus hopefully I get accepted to dschool by Dec and can take on harder courses in the Spring..

not to mention oral microbio meets twice a week at 10am and 8am??? 3 credits? pass . . . .

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ok according to Dr. Wagner's info with 28 C's in oral microbio, I'm going to definitely skip this. Def not gonna risk my GPA when I dont have to.. Heres my tentative sched.

Fundamentals of Biomedical Science (GSND N500A) - 3 cr . Tues 6-9
Fundamentals in Pharmacology (PHPY N5021) - 3 cr. Wed 6-9
Cellular Pathology (PATH 5100Q) - 3cr. Mon 4-630
Basic Histology (CBMM N5001) - 3 cr. Thurs 6-9
Research Seminar (DENT 5910Q) - 1 cr. Fri 1-2

This is 13 credits, I'm also considering Intro to Structural Biology for 1 credit once a week Wed 10-11 which makes 14 credits. Trying to complete in 1 year and will do rotations in the summer if I have to. I figure I'd try to keep a light fall semester to feel things out, plus hopefully I get accepted to dschool by Dec and can take on harder courses in the Spring..

not to mention oral microbio meets twice a week at 10am and 8am??? 3 credits? pass . . . .

I'm taking cellular pathology too! I wanted to take histo as well but Dr. Garrett said it would be too much with MGM.

For those taking Basic Histo..have you guys contacted Dr. Enfield. She said I can take the course but do we have to do anything after that in order to "save" our spot in a class limited to 30 students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,
orientation is next wednesday! i know how pumped everyone must be haha anyway i was wondering if there is any dress code for orientation? b-casual or just casual? I don't want to be the one who shows up in a 3-piece suit so let me know what u guys are thinking of wearing. Hopefully shorts/sandals and a tshirt will be the general consensus!

I'm definitely really excited for orientation to start! I am guessing that the dress code will be pretty lax, seeing as it is just orientation. I will be wearing shorts/tshirt and sandals. Nothing too fancy here, haha. I can't wait to meet everyone!

yeah I am going to be dressed casual...nothing fancy either..see you all on Wednesday :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I decided to apply as a non-matriculated student to the UMDNJ-GSBS in Newark and was accepted. I was under the impression that I might be able to improve my chances of acceptance to the dental school after a year of graduate work at the GSBS, provided I earn a B+ or better in all my classes. It seems like many of you believe you have to complete the Masters program in order for the graduate work to make a difference in your application to get into the dental/medical school. Is that the case? Did I make a mistake here? I am doing this to improve my academic record for dental school, and have not taken the DAT yet. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I decided to apply as a non-matriculated student to the UMDNJ-GSBS in Newark and was accepted. I was under the impression that I might be able to improve my chances of acceptance to the dental school after a year of graduate work at the GSBS, provided I earn a B+ or better in all my classes. It seems like many of you believe you have to complete the Masters program in order for the graduate work to make a difference in your application to get into the dental/medical school. Is that the case? Did I make a mistake here? I am doing this to improve my academic record for dental school, and have not taken the DAT yet. Thanks!

This is true. If you do well (aim for all A's) but B+ won't hurt, then it will have increased your academic profile. How low is your gpa? If its around 3.0 aim to get 21+ on your DAT exam with no score under 20 if possible. As for finishing the masters to make a difference to get into dent/med school that is subjective. IF your application is borderline, I believe that 1 semester of solid grades (3.8+) will maybe help you get that interview. However, if your grades are not competitive and you have applied I think a full-year of masters would help a lot more and you would have much greater success in terms of getting interviews after you have completed the masters program.

Thanks Albuterol. 3.35 cum and 3.00 science (on my transcript that is... AADSAS will be lower due to 3 freshman year courses retaken). I am confident I can do well in the courses, so I guess the DAT will make or break me.

Anyone know if orientation is only for matriculating students? The information I received only indicated I need to be present the week of the 24th for registration. Any other non-matrics?

hey guys,

are you guys registering fine? i was told the PIN # would be emailed 9am this morning, but still haven't gotten mine . T.T

were we supposed to turn in the paper registration form yesterday? or does that not matter??? i feel like im missing something!? i missed the registrar lady yesterday during orientation, so i have no clue what is going on.

help ?? anybody?

You should have recieved your pin by now. And no paperwork is needed if you've gotten approval through email or in person.

You should have recieved your pin by now. And no paperwork is needed if you've gotten approval through email or in person.

yeah i've gotten dr. wagner's approval before orientation. still waiting for the PIN email.... sigh.

thanks so much for letting me know!! i'm like dying here.

I received my pin this morning shortly after 9. The registration process is really easy. Just make sure you have the right department selected when you type in the course code, otherwise you will wind up with a different course. (I almost made that mistake while registering for the seminar :laugh:)

Members don't see this ad :)
got my pin and registered this morning.. couldnt decide between 10 or 13 credits so i opted for the 13 and took bio terrorism and mass destruction course... should be an easy A

I registered for 11 credits (MGM, Cellular Pathology, and the seminar) not including the lab. I am going to wait until classes start before I decide which lab I want to do my rotation in. When i register for the lab I'll have 13 credits

I registered for 10...fund/basic histo/pharm/dent seminar.

Yeah fundamental/pharm/trials of oncology/seminar..guess we will all have some similar classes. So quick question..anyone run into SDNers?? I met Toothpasty she's a cool person :D

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone on Wednesday. Maybe I'll see some of you guys tomorrow. We should all wear signs that mark us as SDN users lol

haha I didn't see anyone...we definitely should wear our SDN tags...maybe I will bring an inhaler haha

they are QUICK..got my financial aid information...:D

haha and yes..SDN tags..i didnt know who was who..Tooth approached me..she remembered seeing my name

when did u do the Entrance Interview..i just did mine this morning and still showing as a red flag so im wondering...

I got the Entrance Interview stuff July 31st and completed it that same day and was complete for sure by the 3rd (over a weekend)..so I would def give it 24 hours or Monday..

yay finally registered. apparently, there was an error with my email and the email was sent back. had to call the registrar..etc.

fundamental + seminar + pharm + histo

wanna start light with just 10 credits and focus on getting them A's !!

DrChuck, I almost had the same exact schedule as you except i decided to go with histo instead of oncology... histo seems more interesting, yet much more challenging. so we'll see whether i'll regret my decision or not. lolz

btw is anyone here planning on taking/re-taking MCAT during Masters? If so, when are you planning on taking the test and when are you planning on applying to med school?

I'm trying to schedule out my life and I'm confused with the time frame...:eek:

I am standing on this looooong line waiting to snag a burger..why not check SDN via phone lol..

Yay..glad to hear you finally sorted that out. Take onco!!! Lol..nah..histo was a close 2nd..and I liked the syllabus for the other class a lot...

Don't know why but during the Ethics part I def was cracking up reading the negative snitch terms..stool pigeon?! I never..lol

I am taking mine Sept 12th..if I have to retake (God forbid) I will take it in January for sure. Since my classes are on the M-W schedule (evening) I might have time to schedule in a...schedule..lol..but I will be applying this summer.

Hey everyone! Is anyone still looking for a roommate or a place to share?! I'ma 22 y/o female doing the gsbs-stratford prog! Let me know!Thanks!

[email protected]

Yeah fundamental/pharm/trials of oncology/seminar..guess we will all have some similar classes. So quick question..anyone run into SDNers?? I met Toothpasty she's a cool person :D

Awww thanks!! You're pretty cool yourself Dr. Chuck, Ms. I already know where everything is!

Just wondering if anyone is taking Molecular medicine of heart or topics of neuroscience?

Hello, I'm attending UMDNJ- stratford and I just put in an application for a 2 bedroom/ 2 bathroom apt. at Tory Estates about 2 miles from the school. The apartment won't be ready until Sept. 10th at the earliest and the 15th at the latest. I will be commuting for the first 2 weeks of school, if there is anyone on this forum that still needs a place to stay and doesn't mind the late move in date you can contact me at [email protected] for more info on the apartment

btw is anyone here planning on taking/re-taking MCAT during Masters? If so, when are you planning on taking the test and when are you planning on applying to med school?

I'm trying to schedule out my life and I'm confused with the time frame...:eek:

I'm planning to retake them in January. For Fall, I have classes Mon-Wed, so I'm probably gonna study for MCATs Thurs-Sun. I think there'll be plenty of time to study for classes in the mornings on Mon-Wed since all my classes are in the evening/late afternoon, but I guess that'll depend how hard they are.

I wish they offered an MCAT at the beginning of January since the 2nd semester starts at the end of the first week. It'd be nice to get it done before that. Ah well.

Hey guys,
I wasn't able to make it to orientation last week, and I just got back from a volunteer trip to New Orleans today. I was just wondering if anyone can give me a quick tutorial on how to register for classes online?

Hey guys,
I wasn't able to make it to orientation last week, and I just got back from a volunteer trip to New Orleans today. I was just wondering if anyone can give me a quick tutorial on how to register for classes online?

Sure, no problem. Go to your my.umdnj.edu homepage. Towards the bottom there will be a box enititled "Banner-Self Service" In that box click on student enrollment services. Click on registration then click on select term and courses. Once on the page that says "search by term" click on Fall (15) in the drop down menu, (15) denotes GBSB courses. Once on that page click on the department your course is in and enter the course number in the box then click class search. It will bring you to the class you selected and you can register from there.

If you haven't done so already, I would talk to either Dr. Garrett or Dr. Wagner to review the courses you wish to take, just so they can guide/advise you.

Best of luck!

Does anyone have the Cell Patho schedule? Can you tell me when the scheduled exams are? I'm thinking of adding this course...thanks for the help!

Hey Albuterol. I am taking cell path but the syllabus online is from last year. I contacted Dr. Lambert about the material and course notes and she said we would be getting the password to access all course materials on the first day of class.

Good luck to everyone starting classes next week.

Just so happy my physio class is on break until October.

Albuterol,

They just posted the syllabus for cell path for the fall 09 semester. There are two exams: one on October 19 and one on December 14.

Here is the link to the updated syllabus:
http://www.umdnj.edu/gsbsnweb/olc/cellpath/schedule.htm

thanks titan! i'm still deciding but probably not going to take it...histo/pharm/fund I should be a challenging/demanding course load.
good luck in all your classes.

Oh, definitely. You're going to have you're hands full. I took histo at Rutgers, it's a really interesting class. Good luck with everything!

Anyone out there taking GENERAL Pathology? Anyone who has taken it: can you give me tips/book requirements/how hard the exams are/how much studying needed/how the class is like/general overview/what i can expects/tips?

Thanks so much guys, we have a really good community going into this!:D:xf:

Anyone out there taking GENERAL Pathology? Anyone who has taken it: can you give me tips/book requirements/how hard the exams are/how much studying needed/how the class is like/general overview/what i can expects/tips?

Thanks so much guys, we have a really good community going into this!:D:xf:

I am taking it(totally revamped my schedule)..I met someone who took it last year and said it was hard..gotta have no life to study the material..He made a B+. I never got the chance to ask about books and notes and stuff like that..when I met the professor he said the same thing. Its a tough course but doable.

hey man, yeah i got the syllabus. The books are like $92 and $75 or something. Not sure about ordering them. AIM me at tsup99. or PM so we can strategize before this course haha, we gotta beat this thing. :cool:

PS Did you ask for the syllabus or was it just sent to the class?

Oh no..didn't ask..It was sent to the class..everyone who got the special permission..

I am not planning on buying any books..sad as it is lol..the library will suffice..

We def need to strategize how we're gonna do this..seems intense..I will hit you up via PM and/or AIM between tonight and tomorrow...

i got my first rejection letter today from........UMDNJ! omg.........out of all the schools, NJDS has to be the one. I was kinda little disappointed cuz I thought they would give me a second chance to improve my GPA at GSBS this year. I guess there are other factors counted as well??? darn....this sucks.......

i got my first rejection letter today from........UMDNJ! omg.........out of all the schools, NJDS has to be the one. I was kinda little disappointed cuz I thought they would give me a second chance to improve my GPA at GSBS this year. I guess there are other factors counted as well??? darn....this sucks.......

Aww I am sorry to hear that. I thought that maybe after they saw you were gonna take some courses at GSBS they would put you on hold. But good luck with your other dental schools..

Has anyone begun to search or already found a lab to do their rotation in. I've emailed some people but haven't gotten any responses yet

I e-mailed a professor in the biochemistry department in August, and she said she would e-mail me back about the rotation when she got back in her office this week; I sent her another e-mail in the beginning of the week, but she still hasn't responded. Maybe she's busy, but mostly it seems mean not to respond at all. She could've just said "no" rather than waste time. So, now, I guess I have to browse more labs and send out more e-mails until someone agrees to take me.