UIC Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
giving the old bumperoo...

any other RMED students here? RMED orientation June 3/4!

Members don't see this ad.

i'll work out with you. it's always easier to work out with a buddy meeting you at the gym. i'm a runner, but completely suck at basketball, so will be no help to you there! unless you're playing horse. i can do that since there is no coordination involved. :)

i also exercise like a mofo (6 days a week is the only way to keep my sanity as an undergrad engineer)

who'd be interested in a workout partner? obviously i'm going out on a limb and guessing i'll still like exercising after a summer of incredible relaxation

i'll work out with you. it's always easier to work out with a buddy meeting you at the gym. i'm a runner, but completely suck at basketball, so will be no help to you there! unless you're playing horse. i can do that since there is no coordination involved. :)

I'd like to get back into weight training. I'm not nearly as fit as you two probably are, though. Would a chubby guy spoil the groove? :hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
Count me in for basketball. Not great at it but I can hold my own :D

it'd be pretty awesome if we can 5v5 the M2's during orientation week :D

I'd like to get back into weight training. I'm not
nearly as fit as you two probably are, though. Would a chubby guy spoil the groove? :hungover:

of course you can work out with us, chubby or not! the more the merrier :)

UMED? RMED? what kinds of programs are these and why haven't I heard of them before?

UMED? RMED? what kinds of programs are these and why haven't I heard of them before?

Did you do your research about UIC? :hungover: You take the same courses everyone else takes (to get the MD), but you also participate in seminars and certain specially-arranged rotations to focus on the unique needs of urban or rural populations.

yo zip.. do you look anything like jim in real life? i think ive permanently ingrained this image of you looking like him whenever i read your posts cuz of your avatar lolz.

Heh, I wish! :) My sense of humor mirrors his more than my looks do. :p

Heh, I wish! :) My sense of humor mirrors his more than my looks do. :p

Funny, I don't look anything like Toby but I have the same humor. Wallowing in self-pity is the best source for humor haha ;)

it'd be pretty awesome if we can 5v5 the M2's during orientation week :D

I played in college (graduated in 2000, I'm 29) and I'm officially retired. I would consider coming out of retirement to play the M2's though! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey fellow UICers, can anyone please do me a favor and post the address, building, room, number, time, etc. for tomorrow's Second Look day here in Chicago? And any other relevant info. I just realized my mailing went out to my parent's house, and they can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance!:D

Hey fellow UICers, can anyone please do me a favor and post the address, building, room, number, time, etc. for tomorrow's Second Look day here in Chicago? And any other relevant info. I just realized my mailing went out to my parent's house, and they can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance!:D

Sure thing :)

For UIC's second look day, we'll be meeting at the Student Center West Building, 828 S. Wolcott Avenue, 2nd Floor.

Tentative Agenda

10:30am: Meet in the 2nd floor lobby
11:00am: Welcome
11:00am: Vision of the UIC-COM
11:15am: Clinical Experiences at UIC
11:30am: Research experiences at UIC
11:45am: Student Life at UIC
12:00pm: Campus Tour
1:00pm: Luncheon
2:00pm: Overview of the Curriculum
2:20pm: Medical Student Panel
3:00pm: Event Conclusion
3:15pm: A group of willing individuals will go out somewhere for more socialization and libations. Location will be determined at second look day. Note, this is not official.

FAQ:

Attire - Casual
Guests - You can bring one or two guests, please inform Linda Singleton at [email protected] of the total number of people in the party.
Food - Refreshments will be available at arrival and lunch will be provided. For any special dietary needs, please contact Linda Singleton.
Time - If you're going to arrive later than the start time, please let Linda know so she can arrange the appropriate accomodations
Parking - Public parking on the corner of Wood St is $11 for the entire day.

Can't wait to meet people tomorrow. See you there!

I unfortunately won't be able to make it to second look, but I would be very interested in hearing a summary and people's thoughts about the day!

It was great to meet some of you at today's second look day. Shout out to the orange group! Hope to see you guys in August. :)

It was great to meet some of you at today's second look day. Shout out to the orange group! Hope to see you guys in August. :)

+1, I'll definitely see you guys this fall, nice to meet you today ehjay. I think I was happiest about the a/v recordings of the lectures this fall! :D

Did anybody meet up afterwards for some beverages?

I found a couple people who were going to go, but after the long day everyone I talked to wanted to get home. Were you there? I was at an "orange" table along with ehjay.

i was at a blue table. didn't go out for beers afterwards though. i somehow missed dessert at the buffet so went out for some gelato on taylor street instead.

I got this on Enterprise:

Student Information effective from Fall 2008 - Chicago to The End of Time
Registered for Term: No
First Term Attended: Fall 2008 - Chicago
Residence: Non-Resident, Out ST Tuition
Citizenship: Citizen
Student Type: First Time Professional

Curriculum Information
Current Program
Doctor of Medicine
Level: Professional - Chicago
Program: MD:Medicine - Chicago -UIC
Admit Term: Fall 2008 - Chicago
Admit Type: Regular Admission
Catalog Term: Fall 2008 - Chicago
College: Coll Medicine at Chicago - CS
Campus: Chicago
Major and Department: Medicine - Chicago, Administration

I know some people who are going to Urbana have "College of Medicine at Urbana" after "College:".. I just got my acceptance on 4/11/08 and so I'm wondering if this means I got placed in Chicago. I don't know how that's possible since I'm sure there were plenty of people who wanted to go to Chicago who got in before I did.

Is Chicago just what they put before they enter in your actual site assignment??

Hey chicago guys, is anybody living in Paramount Lofts at 1645 W. Ogden? I'll be there rooming with a friend from college...

I got this on Enterprise:

Student Information effective from Fall 2008 - Chicago to The End of Time
Registered for Term: No
First Term Attended: Fall 2008 - Chicago
Residence: Non-Resident, Out ST Tuition
Citizenship: Citizen
Student Type: First Time Professional

Curriculum Information
Current Program
Doctor of Medicine
Level: Professional - Chicago
Program: MD:Medicine - Chicago -UIC
Admit Term: Fall 2008 - Chicago
Admit Type: Regular Admission
Catalog Term: Fall 2008 - Chicago
College: Coll Medicine at Chicago - CS
Campus: Chicago
Major and Department: Medicine - Chicago, Administration

I know some people who are going to Urbana have "College of Medicine at Urbana" after "College:".. I just got my acceptance on 4/11/08 and so I'm wondering if this means I got placed in Chicago. I don't know how that's possible since I'm sure there were plenty of people who wanted to go to Chicago who got in before I did.

Is Chicago just what they put before they enter in your actual site assignment??

Hey, I've got the same situation... one person said that his assignment in the mail said Peoria, while the online one said Chicago - he called, and it was indeed Peoria, just an admin mistake. Maybe that's what these are, because although I have yet to receive the assignment in the mail, I really doubt I'm heading to Chicago: I know its full because my interviewers/staff all said it was, and I ranked it last on my preference card.

hey I was on a blue table! Does anyone know if there is a due date for signing your stafford loans and stuff?

Thanks!

I just went ahead and registered for Chicago, seeing as registration opened up today (for me at least). I was perfectly fine settling for Urbana, but hey.. if they're apparently putting me in Chicago, I ain't complaining!

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was some sort of glitch. But for those of us out of state, moving across the country is confusing enough.. lord knows we need bureaucratic confusion :p

Anyone know any areas in Chicago to stay away from (as far as living goes)? I'm a country boy myself so I'm a bit overwhelmed (although excited) of the concept of living in Chicago!

I just went ahead and registered for Chicago, seeing as registration opened up today (for me at least). I was perfectly fine settling for Urbana, but hey.. if they're apparently putting me in Chicago, I ain't complaining!

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if this was some sort of glitch. But for those of us out of state, moving across the country is confusing enough.. lord knows we need bureaucratic confusion :p

Anyone know any areas in Chicago to stay away from (as far as living goes)? I'm a country boy myself so I'm a bit overwhelmed (although excited) of the concept of living in Chicago!

are you an URM by any chance? someone posted in another UIC thread that sometimes they place URMs in Chicago to add to campus diversity even after placing others at their second or third choices. but that was probably just bitter complaining....

are you an URM by any chance? someone posted in another UIC thread that sometimes they place URMs in Chicago to add to campus diversity even after placing others at their second or third choices. but that was probably just bitter complaining....

URM? I doubt it.. unless white males fall under under-represented these days.

Wait!? How do you guys know what classes to register for?? I am ready to register as of yesterday but I have no idea what classes or times to pick. Any advice will be appreciated!

I can't register yet because I have an Immunization hold from 2005. ;) :laugh:
Zipmedic, how do you know what classes/times to register for? Are we supposed to receive any official documentation explaining this or do we figure it out by ourselves?

Thx

from what i understand (at least about the chicago campus) you register for classes during orientation. it isn't like registering for classes in college because EVERYONE registers for the same classes at the same time. (unless you're doing decompressed or something like that). you don't get to pick what times/days you have class because there is only ONE time for everyone. i think instead of registering (which implies making decisions) they should term it signing up to pay for the hours you take.

Phew...!!!! Thanks, I was very worried. I guess I'll wait until orientation then. Since we are in this topic, has anyone heard about the summer prematriculation program? Is there like a website or something like that!?

DrJV

So any UMed applicants get an email???

So any UMed applicants get an email???

I received an email on Monday and I got in! I really can't wait. I was originally placed in Chicago. Are you in, as well?

I know I have heard that too...I don't have anything crazy planned. I am going to be working for a month and then spending as much time with my family/friends/boyfriend as I can before I move to Illinois!:)

half a month of research, a full month in Hong Kong, the remainder chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool (shooting some bball outside the school)

I'm just working 3 days a week. I'm teaching an EMT-B course most of the summer, so that'll keep me busy. Feels good to be finished with biochem, tho!

Got my financial aid finally.. Got the Med Alumni and Friends scholarship someone else was talking about earlier.

Really weird. I got my financial aid awhile back, and it didn't say anything about any scholarship whatsoever. Then I got an email today saying that they mailed me a scholarship offer by mail in December, and that they need confirmation that I am accepting it by May 16th. Obviously I'm guessing it was lost in the mail, but why wouldn't it have been mentioned in the financial aid package I received last month? Guess I shouldn't scrutinize good news too closely, eh?

I got the same email about a "lost" scholarship offer, I never got a letter as well so it seemed strange, not sure how that could happen, thoughts?

I got the same email about a "lost" scholarship offer, I never got a letter as well so it seemed strange, not sure how that could happen, thoughts?

Hmmm. I also noted that the email was very vaguely addressed to "Dear Class of 2012." Perhaps they sent it to a group of people who were still holding multiple acceptances? Frex3 - are you holding more than one as well?

Oh, and I emailed them to say I'd never received the letter, and I didn't get any response back....