UIC Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I submitted mine a few weeks ago. I called the UIC financial aid office, and they said it would be late August (at the earliest) before they had prepared my official financial aid offering package.

Wow. :eek: I thought most schools try to get packages out before the May 15th deadline. But late August?

Members don't see this ad.

I agree, that sounds pretty inappropriate. They should have your aid package to you sometime during the summer. School STARTS in "late August".

Everyone remember to get their FAFSA's submitted by the March 1 priority deadline? :)

Heh. No, I'm so behind.

Still have to file my taxes and can't do the financial aid stuff without the tax stuff unfortunately. I'm only expecting to get the standard federal loans so as long as it comes before the school start date, I'm fine.

Otherwise I might have to take a loan from my folks :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get my FAFSA in on time, either. However, you can submit it without your actual tax info. If you haven't filed your return yet, the FAFSA will accept an estimate of your adjusted gross income.

I didn't get my FAFSA in on time, either. However, you can submit it without your actual tax info. If you haven't filed your return yet, the FAFSA will accept an estimate of your adjusted gross income.

Good idea. I have someone else do my taxes, so I would have to do just that. I take my deductions at the end of the tax season and don't have withholding taxes taken until April, so our actual income will be much less, but too much to qualify me for anything other than the regular stuff.

Ugh. I suppose I could be working on getting my tax stuff together now instead of posting on SDN!!!!! ;)

I agree, that sounds pretty inappropriate. They should have your aid package to you sometime during the summer. School STARTS in "late August".

I thought the same thing - I even emphasized the fact that I would be starting in August, so how am I supposed to make budget plans without knowing what kind of aid package I'll get... The person on the phone maintained that August is when I would get my info. I'm beginning to suspect they didn't know what they were talking about, and didn't want to admit that they didn't know.

Has anyone gotten anything from the UIC COM financial aid office saying their financial aid packet is complete?

I agree, DD, I suspect we'll get stuff sooner. When I went to grad school there, I had an aid package in June, if not sooner.

I'm going to get my taxes done this weekend and do my FA online this week after Easter sometime.

How long did it take for you guys to get a letter in the mail about loans once you got everything done?

I'm going to get my taxes done this weekend and do my FA online this week after Easter sometime.

How long did it take for you guys to get a letter in the mail about loans once you got everything done?

Hmmm. I filled my FAFSA out in the end of February, and nothing. Maybe I should check up on that.

The Medical school financial aid package is not done by the UIC financial aid office. COM has its own office. I've personally have always gotten by package within a month of UIC setting its Fall tuition.

Thought I would post this--hopefully it won't add to any of the confusion we have. But, this is information as a UIC undergrad student and current admit for c/o 2012. Because I am a student, I am able to check my financial aid status on the enterprise system (any other UICer should do the same, if your financial aid materials are in) and I was certainly able to see what I am being offered in terms of loans and scholarships for the year. There is also a current budget that is included. I turned in my FAFSA early February; so go figure. In my opinion, this is the quickest I have ever seen UIC work anything. Might just be because I am already in the system. But, wanted to post it in any case. Any other UICers want to double check me?

Should mention that I have not received a printed letter from them. This is just the statement on Enterprise and is always the same as what is in the letter, in my experience.

Just an FYI from Admissions, everyone...

Orientation starts on Monday, August 11th. The White Coat Ceremony is on Friday, 8/15 (they usually do it on Saturday, but this year is Friday for some reason). Orientation concludes on Saturday, 8/16 (there is stuff to do that day), and classes begin on Monday, 8/18.

This is getting exciting! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my fin aid package today - submitted my FAFSA end of Feb. For instate at the Chicago campus, they estimate the cost of attendance to be:

Tuition (estimated - not set yet): 26,722
Fees (estimated - not yet set): 3,046
Facilities assessment: 540
Books: 1,380
Housing & food: 11,339
Transportation: 1,512
Loan fees: 608
Personal expenses: 2,268
Disability insurance: 64
TOTAL: $47,479

My housing expenses alone are more than their estimated housing + food expenses. :rolleyes:

Hrm, when I multiply the listed tuition times four, plus fees times four, plus two 10k summer tuition (+ $800 fees x 2), it comes to $35,000 a year in tuition + fees. Wish our state school was more comparable to CA/TX instate costs. Then again, I can't even fathom the OOS costs at UIC. You guys have stomachs of steel.

Orientation starts on Monday, August 11th. The White Coat Ceremony is on Friday, 8/15 (they usually do it on Saturday, but this year is Friday for some reason). Orientation concludes on Saturday, 8/16 (there is stuff to do that day), and classes begin on Monday, 8/18.

is this info online somewhere?

Nope. Got it straight from the Admissions office when I was there yesterday.

Hello everyone,

I got accepted to UIC to start on the Fall 2008 (YEY!). I am so excited. But coming from a small midwestern town, I am not familiar with Chicago at all. I have heard some good things and some not so good things.

I am planning to go visit soon in order to find an appartment to rent. Please, feel free to give me advices on best areas around UIC (much help needed in this topic!), good appartment complexes, or any advice at all is appreciated.

I have always found amazing help in this forum. It hope once again I may turn to you for help.

Thx, JV

Wonder if this is the same for C/U campus??

Interesting email that was forwarded to me this morning...what are your thoughts?
Greetings,
>At the last Dialog with the Dean's session, students asked if audio
>recordings of the plenaries could be posted to a web-based site for review
>of the material. Dean Flaherty and the UGME leadership team are very
>vested in the implementation of increased audio and video technology into
>the curriculum.
>Within the next week, we will be audio taping all plenaries and will post
>them to a web-based site for students interested in listening to them. In
>addition, an anonymous survey will be given to students to better
>determine what students would like to see in regards to AV implementation
>and what is perceived to be the most useful technology learning tools.
>A group of faculty and students have been meeting over the past 6 weeks
>regarding the use of increased A/V in the curriculum. It is our plan to
>collect the survey information and formulate potential implementation
>strategies for next fall based upon your response to the survey. Please
>use this opportunity to have your voice heard regarding this important and
>exciting topic.

I am extremely happy to know that we may be moving along with the rest of our colleagues with AV accessible materials!

Great news, ccain, thanks! I know that had been a black mark for UIC in several applicants' minds.

In other news, I can also see my financial aid award on Self Service. It doesn't itemize it like Phoenix's paper letter does [and I suspect my paper letter will, when I receive it], but here it is:

Direct Loan - Subsidized Accepted $8,500.00
Direct Loan - Unsubsidized Accepted $32,000.00
Grad PLUS Loan Offered $6,979.00
Total $47,479.00

Ouch! :hungover:

Hey Zipmedic, I got my financial aid letter yesterday (so much for the August timeframe I quoted earlier...), and my amounts are almost identical to yours... I was hoping for a little college of medicine scholarship money, but no luck.

Don't know where all this efficiency is coming from, but I am not complaining! Anyone who is familiar with the way that UIC handles things definitely knows that they are usually on the slower end of getting things done, but this is fantastic!

I am feeling excitement with all the pending developments and changes that I can't wait to start school! Are you guys (the more social of us) planning any extracurriculars to round out the Second Look Day? I wasn't able to meet you all at the last couple of events, but I figure I am in the area...why not?

Don't know where all this efficiency is coming from, but I am not complaining! Anyone who is familiar with the way that UIC handles things definitely knows that they are usually on the slower end of getting things done, but this is fantastic!

+1

I am feeling excitement with all the pending developments and changes that I can't wait to start school! Are you guys (the more social of us) planning any extracurriculars to round out the Second Look Day? I wasn't able to meet you all at the last couple of events, but I figure I am in the area...why not?

Sonuds good. Hawkeyes for some wings and adult beverages? ;)

Hey Zipmedic, I got my financial aid letter yesterday (so much for the August timeframe I quoted earlier...), and my amounts are almost identical to yours... I was hoping for a little college of medicine scholarship money, but no luck.

Yeah, I really don't know where that date came from -- they probably just didn't know and didn't want to admit it. ;) I didn't get any scholarship love either, but at least it's not OOS tuition! :D

here is what my self-service says:

Financial Aid Award Fund Status Amount Direct Loan - Subsidized Accepted $8,500.00
Grad PLUS Loan Offered $5,421.00
Med Alumni & Friends Schol Accepted $1,000.00
Total $46,921.00

I guess I got an alumni scholarship, which is great! I already have previous loans, so this will help even if its a little bit!

here is what my self-service says:

Financial Aid Award Fund Status Amount Direct Loan - Subsidized Accepted $8,500.00
Grad PLUS Loan Offered $5,421.00
Med Alumni & Friends Schol Accepted $1,000.00
Total $46,921.00

I guess I got an alumni scholarship, which is great! I already have previous loans, so this will help even if its a little bit!

Did you guys just send in your FAFSA to UIC or did you have to send in additional forms as well? Thanks!

Also, what is "self-service?" Sorry I'm so clueless when it comes to this stuff!

Self-service is the website where University of Illinois does registration etc, so if you are a current student or alumni (using your old net id & password), you should be able to see your info online.

Self-service is the website where University of Illinois does registration etc, so if you are a current student or alumni (using your old net id & password), you should be able to see your info online.

I see. Thanks for the help! Also, did you send in extra forms other than the FAFSA in order to get your fin aid package?

I see. Thanks for the help! Also, did you send in extra forms other than the FAFSA in order to get your fin aid package?

Just the FAFSA. And it's the only thing listed under "Financial Aid Requirements" in Self Service.

Does anyone know if there is a 2nd look day specifically for the UPR track people?

Oh yeah, there it is on Enterprise! Nice call.

Financial Aid AwardFundStatusAmountDirect Loan - SubsidizedAccepted$8,500.00
Direct Loan - UnsubsidizedAccepted$32,000.00
Grad PLUS LoanOffered$6,421.00
Total$46,921.00

So...who's poor?

Just found this thread because i'm such a SDN neophyte :D

Anyway, did you all receive more information regarding Second Look Day? I only received this cryptic PDF attachment that stated "More information to come" a couple weeks ago.

Also, count me in for any social gathering. I'm interested to see my future classmates!

I've just received the PDF. I presume we'll hear more after April 1st. If not, I just plan to show up at Admissions that morning. ;)

I know quite a few of you are Chicago track, but I am curious, who is Urbana-Peoria track?

I know quite a few of you are Chicago track, but I am curious, who is Urbana-Peoria track?

I'm in the UPR track. I was wondering if you guys have found out about orientation information for us. I called the Admissions office today and they didn't seem to know for sure but the lady said August 19-22nd and the White Coat Ceremony would be the 22nd or 23rd.

Has anyone heard the same or different for the UPR track? Thanks!

I'm in the UPR track. I was wondering if you guys have found out about orientation information for us. I called the Admissions office today and they didn't seem to know for sure but the lady said August 19-22nd and the White Coat Ceremony would be the 22nd or 23rd.

Has anyone heard the same or different for the UPR track? Thanks!
\

Well judging from Chambana's academic calendar, those dates you have are probably correct. The first day of instruction is on Aug 25 according to http://webtools.uiuc.edu/calendar/Calendar?calId=557&skinId=1&ACTION=VIEW_DAY&DATE=08/25/2008. I thought UPR's white coat ceremony was different from chicago's. Like instead of doing it m1, they do it m2. I have a friend in Rockford's campus and she had her white ceremony before starting m2 or something.

I think you are right about the White Coat Ceremony being second year, however I think that you are looking at the undergraduate Urbana calendar. The UIC academic calendar also states that classes start on the 25th, so that is a U of I undergraduate system-wide start. I am going to stop by the admissions office tomorrow and find out the exact schedule for Urbana next year (or so I hope).

Some schools [including osteopathic] have the white coat ceremony at the end of M2. *shrug*

Are there are current M2s on this list at the UIC Chicago campus who could tell me what the end of the M2 year is like. What is the maximum amount of time the school allows students to study for the step 1? When do classes end, and when do students have to report for rotations? What is the exam schedule like? In terms of prep for the step 1, how does the school assist students? What is hospital practicum?

Thanks.

FYI -

I called about the Hep B vaccination today. If you haven't been vaccinated previously, then you need to get the 3-step series done. It takes a total of 7 months to complete (1st step right away, 2nd one a month from the first, and 3rd 6 months from 2nd). Since the form is due in July, the advisor on the phone told me as long as we have the first 2 steps completed we can send in the form in order to register, and then send in the info on the last step and subsequent titer when it's completed.

I hope this helps.

It irritates me to no end that they require the titer for Hep B as well. My physician didn't draw it because the form says "Dates of vaccinations OR date of titer" in one place and "AND" in another. Stupid.

It irritates me to no end that they require the titer for Hep B as well. My physician didn't draw it because the form says "Dates of vaccinations OR date of titer" in one place and "AND" in another. Stupid.

I agree, it is confusing. I wanted to err on the side of caution, and I'm glad I called. Going to the health dept. on Tuesday.....

Are there are current M2s on this list at the UIC Chicago campus who could tell me what the end of the M2 year is like. What is the maximum amount of time the school allows students to study for the step 1? When do classes end, and when do students have to report for rotations? What is the exam schedule like? In terms of prep for the step 1, how does the school assist students? What is hospital practicum?

Thanks.

Hey Ortho, I'm not an M2, but I have a lot of friends at UIC (chicago). Anyways, for the past couple years the last class exam is always sometime in the 2-3rd week of April. This is your last week of official class time. Then you go to the hospital for about a month for observation and to practice patient histories. UIC wants you to be able to do patient histories before rotations start. From what I was told, its not too burdening on studying for step 1. However, I believe this is the time where you fill out clinical evals, and supposedly if you fill them all out on time, you get first pick on your rotation schedule. So, you actually have from the middle of April until early or late June to study for Step 1, since you get to choose your test date. Then, around the 2nd week of July, M3 rotations start.

In regards to help for Step 1, from what I understand, UIC doesn't really cater too much to the boards. I think there are a few reviews in April/May, and I'm sure upper classmen will help us out too.

I'm also in the UPR track... but I'm hoping for Chicago or for the Urban Medicine Program :idea: But just curious, for people going to Urbana, where do you think you will live? I'm considering Urbana, not Champaign... a little too crazy with the undergrad bars. I went to undergrad there, so if you have questions, let me know.