UIC Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought maybe it was like hey you have more than one acceptance here's a 1000 dollars come here lol. it might have been on mine because I just for my financial aid letter despite filling out all the stuff way before their deadline.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought maybe it was like hey you have more than one acceptance here's a 1000 dollars come here lol. it might have been on mine because I just for my financial aid letter despite filling out all the stuff way before their deadline.

I had pretty much decided on Loyola over UIC, but with an offer of $12,500 (total over the 4 years) and a personally addressed email invitation I got today to apply to the UMed program, I'm back to indecision. UIC's making it hard. It was easy to say that the price difference between the two wasn't so much when it was "only" $32,000 over the four years and the reality of the loans hadn't hit me yet, but now it's a difference of $44,500, and filling out those financial aid forms and contemplating taking out all of the loans is a bit staggering. I'm in Argentina on vacation right now, but I have a lot to think about.

So where are you at in your decision, playmesomemusic?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty torn right now.. Tulane or UIC.. I'm seriously considering spending the extra 70,000 to go to Tulane.. am I insane?

i think the 1000 dollar thing was if you had some affiliation with univ., like a relative that works there. but the 12K thing that Phoenix is talking bout sounds sweet. but money is overrated, these our lives we're talking about, f the $$$ and the know it alls, and go where you like best.

I thought that was what it was for too.. except I never went to UIC don't have any family or friends employed there.. so it doesn't seem to fit for me

Hmmm. I also noted that the email was very vaguely addressed to "Dear Class of 2012." Perhaps they sent it to a group of people who were still holding multiple acceptances? Frex3 - are you holding more than one as well?

Oh, and I emailed them to say I'd never received the letter, and I didn't get any response back....

yea, im holding more than one acceptance, this strange/unexpected email certainly did throw a curve ball my way, its hard not to consider it with all the loans already

I asked this question in another thread, and I never recieved a convincing answer. For that reason, I figured what better thread to ask at than this one? Anyhow, what do you guys think of the UPR track with Urbana for all 4 years? I am not an Md/PhD student, however, I ranked Urbana as my number one choice, and I was placed there. Are there any distinct positives? How about negatives? Is it going to be a disadvantage to be in such a small group (25), and to be amongst Md PhD while not one myself? Any ideas? Anyone know anything about the facilities there? Are they advanced? Thanks!

I had pretty much decided on Loyola over UIC, but with an offer of $12,500 (total over the 4 years) and a personally addressed email invitation I got today to apply to the UMed program,

This is no way meant against you, b/c you have an awesome app profile and seem like an amazing person...( I'd definitely love to be classmates with you!) But I find it kind of disappointing that UIC is inviting more people to the UMed program, even though the app deadline was in March, they had their interviews at Second Look and already accepted people. They had over 90 people apply for 24 spots.

Is this a common thing among schools?

nobody with any advice on urbana? Come on, I am sure there is someone out there??? PLEASE???:(

Why don't you contact a student who is currently at the campus? If you don't know one, I'm sure the school would be willing to suggest one to you.

This is no way meant against you, b/c you have an awesome app profile and seem like an amazing person...( I'd definitely love to be classmates with you!) But I find it kind of disappointing that UIC is inviting more people to the UMed program, even though the app deadline was in March, they had their interviews at Second Look and already accepted people. They had over 90 people apply for 24 spots.

:( I don't know. I'm really sorry. I didn't really know much of anything about the umed program, because I had pretty much decided on Loyola, so I didn't even to go second look (I was out of the country). Obviously I'm torn now. Anyway, I wish you luck, and hope you get into the umed program.

It'd be great to be classmates with the people posting in this thread. You guys put the Loyola class thread to shame.

I want to scream. I called to see if there's somewhere to see the M1 & M2 curriculum (I know I saw it some months ago online), and I've been bounced around for the past THIRTY minutes to no avail. Admissions keeps transferring me to undergrad student affairs (claiming they're transferring me to med school student affairs), who bounces me to an undergrad dean (who they claim should be a med school dean), and then back to med admissions, who transfers me again to undergrad student affairs, insisting that they're the med school student affairs (which they're NOT). ARGH. And they've been SO RUDE about it.

Finally, after asking for my AMCAS (I swear I thought they were going to rescind my acceptance just to get rid of me), they transferred me to the right student affairs, who said admissions should have given me the curriculum web site info themselves. Where's that implosion icon?

:boom:

Ok, after another 15 minutes on hold I got it. Not sure if pasting the link will work or not:

https://uical.uic.edu/ocas-bin/ocas...86%84&server=&xen=%e4%e0%ea%ee%f4%ed%ed%ee%ef

It says it's a "block schedule" so I called admissions back to ask if there's anyone I could speak to about the curriculum. They said no one was available until Thursday - May 15th! I begged and pleaded and they said I could try back again tomorrow morning.

Given that we wouldn't be dealing with admissions anymore once classes start, I'm inclined to try to forget about the frustration I encountered today.

So, anyone who went to second look have info on any changes they may be making to the curriculum, or to what (if any) extent they're moving to more of a block schedule and/or systems based schedule? Thanks!

its okay, either way UMed is a great program and it would be awesome to be classmates! as far as the curriculum at the chicago campus, from my understanding they only took a few hours off of total class time/week. So, still expect to be in class for long hours. The anatomy teacher is awesome, but expect his labs/lectures to go over the allotted time frequently. The schedule will still be block, but they are working towards a systems-based approach. They are trying to coordinate everything on one organ system in the same period/week.

With UIC, I have noticed over the years that they are willing to change, but they move kind of slow. The help is there for students, but they definitely do not hold your hand through school. Other things for this year include getting all of the lectures on the web, and they did say that our first block of class will be lighter so we can transition smoothly into med school. I can't remember what classes they were, maybe anatomy and biochem?

oh ya... some of the administration could really care less about answering our questions.... there is one admissions counselor i found pretty helpful though, and i have a contact with one of the UMed first-years if you want me to ask any other stuff.

let me know if you need any other info! :)

p.s. when is the next chicago sdn get together? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
so i was at second look, and they really didn't talk specifically about what changes (if any) were going to be made to the curriculum this upcoming fall. they made vague comments about ongoing changes to match the subjects in different classes better. i would expect the schedule for 2008-09 to look pretty similar to the link posted above.

I agree with eel. I suspect any major changes in the curriculum would affect us more toward M2 year. It'd be cool if I were wrong, though!

hello brethren, deadline today and it was a tough choice, but ill be seeing yall in chicago next year. i all but said goodbye to UIC until they switched my site placement from rockford to chicago.

hello brethren, deadline today and it was a tough choice, but ill be seeing yall in chicago next year. i all but said goodbye to UIC until they switched my site placement from rockford to chicago.

yay!!! phoenix? what's the verdict?
it's much more real now, looking forward to meeting you all in august.

Congrats, how were you notified of the site change?

yay!!! phoenix? what's the verdict?
it's much more real now, looking forward to meeting you all in august.

Well, after an agonizing week of indecision, I finally withdrew from UIC today. In the end, I decided that the curriculum of the first two years at Loyola fits my learning style much better than the traditional curriculum and heavier lecture time at UIC. But I will be bloody jealous of your clinical third and fourth year rotations in downtown Chicago! And it would have been great meeting all of you and being classmates!

For those on the waitlist or hoping for a site assignment, there's one more spot in Chicago open now.... :luck:

Damnit. So this means if we didn't get a phone call yesterday we are stuck where we were assigned? That is very bad news...

no, i wouldn't say that at all. my petition had some issues that needed to be considered right away, so they dealt with it individually. i got some numbers from someone who attended the second look day, that they normally have about 50 or so letters of petition with about 20-25 spots in chicago, so its about a 50-50 shot.

Hi Guys,

Anyone know a current UIC student who would be able to give an informal campus tour on Friday May 23rd. I just rec'd the chicago campus but interviewed in rockford. I'll be out of town tomorrow (flight leaves midway at 8:50am) until May 22nd at (flight arrives in at midway @ 6pm) for work, so I'm kind of in a tight spot. If anyone has any advice, knows anyone who could help, etc., I'd be so grateful.

Apple

Hi Guys,

Anyone know a current UIC student who would be able to give an informal campus tour on Friday May 23rd. I just rec'd the chicago campus but interviewed in rockford. I'll be out of town tomorrow (flight leaves midway at 8:50am) until May 22nd at (flight arrives in at midway @ 6pm) for work, so I'm kind of in a tight spot. If anyone has any advice, knows anyone who could help, etc., I'd be so grateful.

Apple

You'd probably do OK just calling admissions and asking if they have someone on file, I'm sure they get requests frequently. Unless you've already asked them and they can't accommodate your timeframe....

Hey everyone..

Just wondering if there's anyone living in Champaign/Urbana willing to host me for a night. I'm going to be in on June 16-17 (getting in on the afternoon of Monday the 16th, leaving late on Tuesday the 17th). I decided to take Urbana over Chicago since it's cheaper cost of living and I'm already getting raped up the wazoo for out-of-state tuition.

I just need a safe place to sleep. I require nothing else.. will bring my own pillow and sleeping bag. Just heading out there to look for apartments and to get an idea of what the area is like (never been there before!). Thought though that this would be a cheaper and more enjoyable way to do things.. would love to get to know some people though!

Thanks!!

do you think there will be more site changes this week? i kind of need to know soon, but didn't know who to call. who did you talk to so that they would consider you petition early?

also just out of curiosity, do you think people who just interviewed could be placed at Chicago before they consider the people with petitions? i think the last interview date is this tuesday or sometime this week.

anyways, congrats! and hopefully i'll be joining you in Chicago too!

Is anyone participating in the Urban Health Program? I am looking for a roommate or a single apt. Message me and let me know if you are looking as well. I have about 2 weeks to find a place to live!! :eek:

did everyone who applied to the UMED program have an interview or did they let some just pass without one? and do they grant all applicants an interview? just curious because they say they have 90+ applicants and max 24 spots. if people have already been accepted to the program and they had so many applicants why are they still doing interviews?

did everyone who applied to the UMED program have an interview or did they let some just pass without one? and do they grant all applicants an interview? just curious because they say they have 90+ applicants and max 24 spots. if people have already been accepted to the program and they had so many applicants why are they still doing interviews?

no, only a few applicants were interviewed, and 24 will be accepted. (They already started extending acceptances, but I don't know if all 24 have been given out) supposedly all of the the interviews are finished. i have no idea why they are still recommending people to apply to the program. i think it might be a case by case basis, where an applicant that would be perfect for UMed is offered a chance to apply after the deadline? not quite sure though.

Well I was just offered an interview for the UMed program today. I suppose it may seem slightly odd that the deadline has long passed and that interviews are still being held. But good for me nonetheless, seeing that I am currently on the UPR tract and may have the opportunity to be placed on the Chicago tract. Having said that, I really do not mind being on the UPR tract. Perhaps they waited for people who were recently accepted to have a chance to interview for the UMed program as well. Although for me this isn't the case since I have been accepted for some time now and actually was told that they had passed on my application to the UMed program...maybe they had a change of heart?

Hey All,

So today I found out from the office that I have been transfered to Chicago...could anyone please catch me up as to what I should be getting in the mail? I'm having everything sent to my home address, so I need to tell my folks what to set aside/send to me asap. When do we have to figure out housing? Did you guys get emails and netIDs yet?! I heard somewhere that you did (UIUC bound ppl don't get them until first day of class)...Sorry about all the questions! I'm just a little confused!
Looking forward to meeting all of you!
Thanks!
:)

did they call you about your transfer? how long ago did you send an appeal in? thanks!

Hey people :)

I too got my petition to change campuses granted, so I will be seeing you guys in Chicago this fall!! (It was via phone call because I know this question is coming :rolleyes:)

yay!

I got my campus assignment changed as well (yesterday). See you all at orientation.

hey guys, i sent in a petition as well. how long did you all wait to hear back? i'm thinking about calling the admissions office to find out.

Also, how did you hear? i know one person said through a phone call. is that how everyone else heard?

I received a site reassignment 05/21/2008 to Chicago via a phone call. I was slated for Rockford.

Hey All,

So today I found out from the office that I have been transfered to Chicago...could anyone please catch me up as to what I should be getting in the mail? I'm having everything sent to my home address, so I need to tell my folks what to set aside/send to me asap. When do we have to figure out housing? Did you guys get emails and netIDs yet?! I heard somewhere that you did (UIUC bound ppl don't get them until first day of class)...Sorry about all the questions! I'm just a little confused!
Looking forward to meeting all of you!
Thanks!
:)

hey, UIUC people did get their IDs and emails and all that, at least i did when i was one of them! april, i believe. try getting in contact with Robbin Burge over there.

Still no word on the petition. I don't know what I'm going to do if I'm not in Chicago.

did anyone that got a transfer still have enrollement requirements (like the hepb form) that were not in yet? do these play a role in who gets transfered to Chicago?

did anyone that got a transfer still have enrollement requirements (like the hepb form) that were not in yet? do these play a role in who gets transfered to Chicago?
When they called me about getting Chicago, they told me that I should be advised that they had not received my immunization form yet. It arrived the next day and I am now complete.

Ok, so that rules that out. thanks

Still no word on the petition. I don't know what I'm going to do if I'm not in Chicago.

Chaz,
I am still waiting to hear about my petition to transfer to Chicago too. It is frustrating especially since the office says they can notify us into the summer. What are you planning on doing for housing? Have you made plans to live in Urbana or are you waiting to hear back? I just need an opinion of what to do for myself. thanks!

Any non-chicago natives get a Chicago track transfer yet(mid-southern IL)?

My theory is that they are taking care of the Chicago natives first

Any non-chicago natives get a Chicago track transfer yet(mid-southern IL)?

My theory is that they are taking care of the Chicago natives first

Have you tried calling them? Before the granted my site change I wrote a letter, emailed, and called several times. They may be able to at least let you know about how many they have moved which might give you a good idea of whether or not there is still much of a chance of getting moved. I was told that historically about 20 - 25 get moved out of 60 - 80 petitions. I had multiple reasons for needing the Chicago campus.

for those still waiting for a transfer to chicago campus, have you guys applied for housing in urbana? how

i guess this question is for everyone in general, when do you start applying for housing or have you guys done that already?

thanks

I've already applied for grad housing at the U of I in Urbana... I tried to submit an on-line app, but since we are UIC students, the system didn't work to well and I ended up sending a paper housing application. I'm still waiting to hear what my housing assignment is.

just curious... what happens if you get housing in urbana now, but then later this summer you get transferred to Chicago. what is the penalty for breaking your contract?

just curious... what happens if you get housing in urbana now, but then later this summer you get transferred to Chicago. what is the penalty for breaking your contract?

Give 'em a buzz. I have a feeling this is one of those extenuating circumstances where you'd get your money back but you need to go straight to the source for that.

Just wanted to let you guys know that after much indecision and lost sleep, I'm giving up my UIC-chicago campus spot and heading to Loyola.

good luck with the campus petitions and ending up where you want to be...it would have been awesome to be classmates.

Apple :)

Hi Guys:

About immunizations...is it true that the forms are due July 1st? I thought the form was due June 1st, but the office told me to get it in by July 1st. What have you guys been hearing?

Thanks!