UIC Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been told to wait until orientation to buy anything because there are books that are "recommended" but you will never use.

I've talked to some now 2nd years at Urbana and they gave great insight into class structure/notes/books and said wait until orientation - you can either buy what you need from upperclassmen or at the very least find out what you *really* need and don't need.

However, all I've talked to said get First Aid for Step I so I'll probably be getting that as soon as I can just in case.

that's true... i have a friend that's offering me their books and i have a few of my own too... so i didn't want to bring everything down and then not really need them! i've also been told that the BRS reviews are nice to have.

Members don't see this ad.

Word of advice: That website thats been posted is pretty out of date as the classes have been restructured since then. U can use it as a general guide, but as someone whose finished M1 at UIC-Chicago, I wouldn't recognize it to be the say all and end all after i skimmed it for a few mins

Hi all, just a quick heads up. Today I went to get my I card and they said I wasn't in the system, even though I had registered for classes this morning. They said I could bring a printed copy of my class schedule, and they would be able to issue a card. I didn't have internet access so I ended up making a trip for nothing. If you go in to get an Icard, I would bring a printed class schedule just in case! It's under the "registration" tag in enterprise.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there-

I am a bored M4 willing to share my "wisdom" in my spare time reserved for procrastination. So PM me or ask on thread and I will try to help out as best I can.

Peace.

And enjoy the last tranquil summer of your lives ;)

Btw- I saw that golden weekend thing above-
Do you guys know what that means?
It's when you get both weekend days off- a rare occurence M3 year and during residency- hence termed "golden"

I kind of just registered myself at C-U. I hope I got all the classes right. I think so.

If anyone wants to compare notes, plz PM me :)

Last edited:
:oops:How do we know exactly what classes to register for? Is it just all the classes under the "Basic Medical Sciences" category?

1. Medical Gross Human Anatomy and Embryology I - Chicago - BMS 644 - 0
2. Medical Cell and Tissue Biology I - Chicago - BMS 646 - 0
3. Medical Biochemistry - Chicago - BMS 648 - 0
4. Medical Nutrition - Chicago - BMS 650 - 0
5. Physiology I - Chicago - BMS 653 - 0
6. Essentials of Clinical Medicine I - Chicago - BMS 666 - 0

Am I missing any? How many total credit hours are we supposed to have? I've got 19...

Thanks!!

smiley: ya, you got it down. i ended up with 19.

Hey everyone! I want to congratulate all of you on your acceptances to UIC! UIC is my first choice, and I am applying for the c/o 2013.

Would any of you mind posting your GPA/MCAT breakdown for a struggling premed? I appreciate it!

Would any of you mind posting your GPA/MCAT breakdown for a struggling premed? I appreciate it!

Cum GPA: 3.23
BCPM GPA: 3.47
Post-Bacc GPA: 3.67
MCAT: 32S

I don't recommend following in my footsteps. It was a long, difficult path. Good luck!

I'm glad I stopped the discussion dead in its tracks with my stats. :hungover: I'm pleased to announce that my transcript FINALLY arrived in Admissions. Woo.

Guys I need help with housing. I know it's really late any suggestions will be appreciated. BTW am a male at chicago campus and checked craigslist without luck.

Guys I need help with housing. I know it's really late any suggestions will be appreciated. BTW am a male at chicago campus and checked craigslist without luck.

Take a walk around the neighborhood you want to live in and look for "For Rent" signs... that's how i found my place. Lots of those places aren't listed anywhere.

Also try here: http://www.housing.uic.edu/offcampus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much. The link was really helpful

Hi every1-
Less than a month til orientation! =) You guys will have a blast. Many ppl have been PMing me with questions. Feel free to contact me and ill be happy to answer ure questions/comments/concerns. I am an M2 at the Chicago site.

#1)
Urbana campus housing help needed. I have no idea where to start. I've read through this thread and didnt find much specifically for UPR housing. I have a small dog so I have know that will limit some places as well. I'm also open to having a roommate so pm me if you are looking for one as well. I'm not sure if I would prefer to live alone though.

#2)
I'm sending in my site preference card today but I really do not know the area. My interview was in chicago so honestly I dont know much about Illinois. I doubt my preference will be taken into account as it is this late, but hey why not. Anyone care to share a quick run down on the three campuses Peoria, Rockford, and Urbana. Such as distance from chicago, size of town/city, difference in curriculum?, etc.. I'm coming from a big city, so I've never experienced a rural area. I'd be happy living in a small city though. I'm going to do some extra reading today, but would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Edit: Just did a search. Finished ranking them. Sending it off today.

Last edited:
Diesel,

I would choose Peoria over Rockford. Peoria is on a river that balloons out to over a mile in width as it goes through the town. The city itself is quintessential small town America (minor league baseball, county fairs, quaint downtown area, etc...) and full of parks and other such things that beautify the area to a greater extent than Rockford. There is another university right next door, Bradley, which lend the area a college air and there are two nice, large hospitals nearby. I have always thought of Rockford as being a but grittier and generally not as nice as Peoria. I have been to Peoria once and my parents live about a half hour away from Rockford. It should be noted, however, that Peoria is further away from Chicago than Rockford and could be considered the most isolated of the campuses. Oh, and Congratulations on your acceptance:D

Last edited:
Diesel,

I would choose Peoria over Rockford. Peoria is on a river that balloons out to over a mile in width as it goes through the town. The city itself is quintessential small town America (minor league baseball, county fairs, quaint downtown area, etc...) and full of parks and other such things that beautify the area to a greater extent than Rockford. There is another university right next door, Bradley, which lend the area a college air and there are two nice, large hospitals nearby. I have always thought of Rockford as being a but grittier and generally not as nice as Peoria. I have been to Peoria once and my parents live about a half hour away from Rockford. It should be noted, however, that Peoria is further away from Chicago than Rockford and could be considered the most isolated of the campuses. Oh, and Congratulations on your acceptance:D

Thank you so much. Thats how I ranked them 1. peoria, 2. Rockford, 3. urbana earlier today.

So dumb question, but where do I find my UIN? I read it was on the acceptance letter, but it was nowhere in the offer letter. Is it after they receive the papers that I accepted their offer? I am completely lost with all this.

For those of you: married or engaged or in a relationship, how's your significant other handling the beginning of medical school? Do they understand and support you all the way through or are they adamant about not being your focus of attention now? As a non-traditional student, I am :confused: about how to handle med school and a relationship? Advices/Comments appreciated!!!

For those of you: married or engaged or in a relationship, how's your significant other handling the beginning of medical school? Do they understand and support you all the way through or are they adamant about not being your focus of attention now? As a non-traditional student, I am :confused: about how to handle med school and a relationship? Advices/Comments appreciated!!!

We own our house and my husband's job is nice with insurance so he's staying in Northern IL while I move to Urbana for 1st year. We don't have kids so that's not an issue at this time.

All summer we've been discussing our setup and I'm going to come home on weekends. LOTS of communication about what to expect. LOTS.

After 1st year I'm at the Rockford campus and it's about a 1.25 hour commute one-way. If gas prices stay high we've talked about it being more cost-effective to just rent in Rockford rather than commute. Same arrangement as Urbana, except my husband sometimes works around R'ford so I'll see him a lot more. And I'll come home during the week if I don't have to be at the uni for anything.

Fortunately, my husband is not very needy and is totally supportive of what I'm doing. We're definitely non-trad. I'll be 32 and he'll be 39 later this year.

Hello-
I went through my first year of medical school with my fiance. He is a year older and ahead of me and also in medical school so we have made it through 2 years with one or the both of us in medical school. Sometimes it can be rough because we miss each other and our schedules are so busy that its hard to find a lot of time. But we try our best to set aside phone dates daily (except during finals week or intense exam weeks), and try to see each other once a week.
It's nice on the one hand we understand what the other person is going thru since are both in medicine, but on the other we really do sacrifice a lot of time together for our career. We have had to have a long engagement and put our wedding aside a few years until we can handle it. So I guess tho we are making a lot of sacrifices now in our relationship, hopefully it will be worth it in the end.
There are tons of ppl in med school married or in serious relationships. Most of them make it thru just fine from what i can tell. I think it takes a lot of effort on both sides to make it work, but if that effort is there, then problems should be minimal.

Hi all,

I just got an e-mail from my team leader saying i'll be having a respirator fitting and i should have already received my paperwork to bring along with a check for $35. But I never got an e-mail or mail about respirators, so I have no idea what they are talking about. Can anyone enlighten me about this?:confused:

Sorry to intrude on your thread, but I'm applying to med school for the 2013 school year and I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice.

I'm in the guaranteed program at UIC, so I already have a spot in Chicago, but I'm wondering if I should apply out (I already sent the AMCAS to Northwestern and Keck) but what about Rush? Given that you guys are about to start school, how's your experience with UIC so far? Do you like it? Or do you wish you could have gone somewhere else?

Goodluck with everything! :laugh:

P.S. Being a UIC undergrad, I have lots of experience with Chicago housing, so for those looking for housing in Chicago, New West Realty and C.Gallucci are both really helpful, but I found that the UIC OffCampus housing website is best. Listings don't usually come out until a month before they're available. Hope that helps!

Chicago has their orientation starting this week - good luck and congrats on starting!!!!! :luck:

The rest of us have another week of freedom but I'll be tuning in here to see (hopefully) what the Chicago students post about their orientation.

Hey everyone. Welcome to your M1 year at UIC. I'm an M2 looking to share a microscope rental with an M1. Not sure if you learn about this during orientation, but you'll need a micrscope for your histiology class in September. I think its $250 to rent from the school, and its not uncommon for M1/M2 to share one scope. I'm offering to share mine for $125. If anyone is interested email at [email protected]