UIC Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

League54

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

congratulations! gotta love IL

Yo, League, I had a feeling you would be the one to fix this up, man!

Hopefully more people will start posting in here, too. This is really early, but I wonder what folks plans are for living arrangements. I am already in Chicago and keeping my eyes open for roomies near school if I stay here....

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo, League, I had a feeling you would be the one to fix this up, man!

Hopefully more people will start posting in here, too. This is really early, but I wonder what folks plans are for living arrangements. I am already in Chicago and keeping my eyes open for roomies near school if I stay here....

Haha, yeah, I'm pretty excited. I live in the western 'burbs. My wife works in Wheaton so we're probably moving there and I'll just take the express train in. Whereabouts in Chicago are you?

Haha, yeah, I'm pretty excited. I live in the western 'burbs. My wife works in Wheaton so we're probably moving there and I'll just take the express train in. Whereabouts in Chicago are you?

I am in South Shore Chicago. I will probably be staying over here because, look at the student budget! Man, it's looking really tight. I would be interested in talking with any current M1/M2's to get their perspective on how they manage to live close to school, if they do. It's really costly and I don't foresee the loans streching that much. I'm good, but....

I am in South Shore Chicago. I will probably be staying over here because, look at the student budget! Man, it's looking really tight. I would be interested in talking with any current M1/M2's to get their perspective on how they manage to live close to school, if they do. It's really costly and I don't foresee the loans streching that much. I'm good, but....

What do they estimate it all costs when you add it up?

Hey everyone!!! yay for UIC 2012...I'm excited! I will also be married by time we start school, so the fiancee and I are looking for affordable living options. Does anyone know if UIC has appts for those that don't want to live in the dorms? I wouldn't want to make my hubby live in a dorm, hehe.

congrats on the early acceptances just relax and think about nothing till next yr trust me you'll be happy u did. comin from an upper yr student.

What do they estimate it all costs when you add it up?

They said something around $42,000--very modest. Can't really complain, but I am just starting to think about costs in general...

when did you guys interview and does anyone know when interviews started. i interviewed late october and was just wondering when they start deciding

Third thursday of the month I believe? Someone mentioned that in the other thread. Expect delays in november due to thanksgiving

Ok, well I see that everyone got over the momentary excitement of being accepted (Me, too!).

I will put this out there, in case anyone can answer:

Some schools use NBME tests as final exams for their courses. Does anyone know if UIC does this? (the idea is that since the exams are standardized, it let's you know how much you know relative to the makers/takers of the exam--same makers of USMLE step 1).

Also, got an email from U-Med and was wondering if anyone here was going to the MD/MPH informational?

Did any of you guys interview at Rockford? How was is?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted after interviewing at Rockford?

For those of you who have been accepted into UIC, do you happen to know what they are looking for in their students?

For those of you who have been accepted into UIC, do you happen to know what they are looking for in their students?

being from illinois ;)

Ha. maybe.

i'm in and i'll be going for sure. is everyone here opting for the Chicago campus then? i requested Urbana/Peoria track....

has anyone received acceptance/rejection letters yet, after the nov. 29 adcom meeting??

nope. decision has been made on status page, but no letter yet...... 1wk and counting..

Woo, I'm in! :) Looking forward to seeing you all in Chicago in August! :D

w00t! im in too...

there is hope for OOS kids after all. im kinda worried about housing too.. since i dont live in the area, im gonna need something that's on a 12 month lease so i can stay there year round. i doubt the dorms are on that kind of schedule.

i dont even know where to start with housing besides randomly looking at apt ads.. hrmmmm.

I went to UIC for undergrad and if you go on to the school site at uic.edu and then living, then off-campus there are some annoucements that students place up there always looking for roomies. I am sure there will be many of us looking for roomies, me included. Let me know if you find anything. And CONGRATS!!!!

There are also apartments in SSR that are 12-month contracts. Check Campus Housing for more info. :) Welcome!

Needs a bump.. was on page number 2.. congrads to recent status changes! I was wondering if everyone was planning on living on campus or if anyone is thinking about living off campus? and if so whereabouts? I know at my interview one of the MSII said they lived downtown and commuted... I wasn't sure what percentage of students did that or if mostly everyone stayed right on campus?

I'll be living off campus. I think a healthy proportion of students do each. When do you think you'll decide where you're going to go for school, PMSM?

Well, I am constantly thinking about it but I don't think I'll make a final decision until I absolutely have to.. I need to start looking at living arrangements as I have a dog and she is coming with me lol so that's what I'm inquiring about now.. I feel like that aspect is going to be hardest to accommodate at UIC but I really don't know for sure.. are you planning on living downtown? or elsewhere? if you don't mind me asking?

Well, I am constantly thinking about it but I don't think I'll make a final decision until I absolutely have to.. I need to start looking at living arrangements as I have a dog and she is coming with me lol so that's what I'm inquiring about now.. I feel like that aspect is going to be hardest to accommodate at UIC but I really don't know for sure.. are you planning on living downtown? or elsewhere? if you don't mind me asking?

I don't think you should view UIC as a dog-difficult school. I'm sure there are dog-accommodating options (outside of the dorms, of course) in the area. I have a dog, and live not far, in River North. Chicago is a pretty dog friendly city over all. But since you have a dog, you'll probably have to have a car (which means you should probably keep parking availability in mind), since you can't take a dog on any public transportation. Not only for vet visits, but there are lots of dog parks, dog beaches, dog-friendly outdoor restaurants....

I don't think you should view UIC as a dog-difficult school. I'm sure there are dog-accommodating options (outside of the dorms, of course) in the area. I have a dog, and live not far, in River North. Chicago is a pretty dog friendly city over all. But since you have a dog, you'll probably have to have a car (which means you should probably keep parking availability in mind), since you can't take a dog on any public transportation. Not only for vet visits, but there are lots of dog parks, dog beaches, dog-friendly outdoor restaurants....
Thanks for the info... I'm not sure why I think but it was just my assumption maybe cause it's a bigger city... I'll just haveta start the search for housing.. Thanks again and Merry Christmas if you happen to be on here like i am lol

Ok, well I see that everyone got over the momentary excitement of being accepted (Me, too!).

I will put this out there, in case anyone can answer:

Some schools use NBME tests as final exams for their courses. Does anyone know if UIC does this? (the idea is that since the exams are standardized, it let's you know how much you know relative to the makers/takers of the exam--same makers of USMLE step 1).

Also, got an email from U-Med and was wondering if anyone here was going to the MD/MPH informational?

Congrats to all those who got accepted i'm a second year student if you wanna know more just drop me a line. Well as the exams, UIC does not do NBME finals for all their classes. The only NBME finals we had were anatomy and the histology exams which weren't as bad as the actual in house exams.

Congrats to all those who got accepted i'm a second year student if you wanna know more just drop me a line. Well as the exams, UIC does not do NBME finals for all their classes. The only NBME finals we had were anatomy and the histology exams which weren't as bad as the actual in house exams.

Thanks. That's really great to know. From my conversations with students from other schools, it seems as though the tests really aren't that helpful. Good luck to you along your path! Enjoy your break!

wow i can't believe i forgot to post on the official uic class of 2012 thread!

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

Congrats on all who got accepted into the class of 2012! I recently found out that I have been placed in the Chicago campus M1-M4 years. Does anyone know of any good off campus housing locations that is close to campus and has a parking garage or enclosed parking?

I cannot wait to meet all of you guys this summer. Once again congrats!

They said something around $42,000--very modest. Can't really complain, but I am just starting to think about costs in general...

Just a heads up on the Financial Aid for you guys from a current UIC M1 student.

The living expense budgets they put out are set for $650, but you can get that extended up to $950/month.

So for example, I live in an apt. that costs $1630. UIC will divide that number in 2 (b/c it's 2 BR and I have a roommate on the list) and that comes to $815. As long as you APPLY for the increase, you will get it--I haven't heard of anyone being denied. So in the month of October, I got a nice little bonus to my checking account (10 months x $165).

That said, remember than any extra is just coming out in loans. I didn't mind b/c I had a full-tuition scholarship and therefore didn't need to get into the higher-rate loans, but it is a consideration. For most people, the Staffords are already maxed out and you'll be into supplementary loan territory and their corresponding higher interest. I generally take the opinion of "what the hell...it's not that much more" (and my credit cards reflect that sentiment), but I also tend to be less financially responsible than average.

Hey Everyone!

Congrats on all who got accepted into the class of 2012! I recently found out that I have been placed in the Chicago campus M1-M4 years. Does anyone know of any good off campus housing locations that is close to campus and has a parking garage or enclosed parking?

I cannot wait to meet all of you guys this summer. Once again congrats!

You're inevitably going to be drawn this place called Medical District Apartments. It's close to campus, has enclosed parking, and the units seem nice. RESIST THIS URGE.

Let me repeat for everyone...DO NOT LIVE AT MEDICAL DISTRICT APARTMENTS. I live there now, and wish I didn't. The management puts on a nice little show when you get there and seem so friendly. Trust me, they're not. Hot water problems, heat a/c issues, bug problems, elevator not working every other day--it all adds up. And at the beginning of the year, we had fire-alarm in the middle of the night issues.

I'm quite bitter (if you can't tell :) ). To give an example why I hate the office here:
The concierge lost one of my packages, but the office refuses reimburse me for it because I can't "prove" that it was ever delivered. Apparently having tracking numbers w/ delivery times and detailed notes about every interaction with the staff (i.e., conflicting info given to me to cover their tracks) isn't enough for them to knock a measly $50 off my rent to cover the loss. In fact, when I suggested that the building owes me for the package, I was laughed at.

Oh, and that on-site parking you crave? It'll cost you $130/month for uncovered, $180 for covered. Luckily I don't have a car.

I'm sorry to ramble, but I feel strongly about this because of a lot of students get roped into this place unknowingly.

DO NOT LIVE AT MEDICAL DISTRICT APARTMENTS

BigKurz

did you have outstanding stats to get a full ride?

Well, no, my stats weren't outstanding by any means (33 MCAT, 3.58 GPA), but the scholarship didn't come from the school, but rather an outside source. I didn't get any sort of scholarship money from UIC itself.

Well, no, my stats weren't outstanding by any means (33 MCAT, 3.58 GPA), but the scholarship didn't come from the school, but rather an outside source. I didn't get any sort of scholarship money from UIC itself.

Thanks for the response.. I figured most scholarships are from outside sources..

Lets start a facebook group for UIC MEdical School Class of 2012
I think its a great way to get faces with names for our class.

What do you think?

You're inevitably going to be drawn this place called Medical District Apartments. It's close to campus, has enclosed parking, and the units seem nice. RESIST THIS URGE.

Let me repeat for everyone...DO NOT LIVE AT MEDICAL DISTRICT APARTMENTS. I live there now, and wish I didn't. The management puts on a nice little show when you get there and seem so friendly. Trust me, they're not. Hot water problems, heat a/c issues, bug problems, elevator not working every other day--it all adds up. And at the beginning of the year, we had fire-alarm in the middle of the night issues.

I'm quite bitter (if you can't tell :) ). To give an example why I hate the office here:
The concierge lost one of my packages, but the office refuses reimburse me for it because I can't "prove" that it was ever delivered. Apparently having tracking numbers w/ delivery times and detailed notes about every interaction with the staff (i.e., conflicting info given to me to cover their tracks) isn't enough for them to knock a measly $50 off my rent to cover the loss. In fact, when I suggested that the building owes me for the package, I was laughed at.

Oh, and that on-site parking you crave? It'll cost you $130/month for uncovered, $180 for covered. Luckily I don't have a car.

I'm sorry to ramble, but I feel strongly about this because of a lot of students get roped into this place unknowingly.

DO NOT LIVE AT MEDICAL DISTRICT APARTMENTS

where do most UIC students live? and if you do commute, are there ample parking spaces for med students on campus?

where do most UIC students live? and if you do commute, are there ample parking spaces for med students on campus?

A decent amount of students--especially those from out of town--live at SSR. It's the on-campus student residence that is right across the street from the main academic building. The units aren't that nice--they look rather dated--and are by no means "cheap" when compared to places you can find. But for out of towners without a chance to walk around a little bit, its a quick fix.

There is a residential neighborhood roughly 0.5-1 mile east of campus, and a lot of the students live around there. There's a lot of apartments in the area--either dedicated apartment buildings or 2/3 flat style residences.

Some people choose to live further away and either drive or take the CTA to campus. There's been a scare in the Chicago area because of CTA funding issues--a lot of bus lines were going to get cut--but those have all been resolved as of last week.

In terms of parking, there is a garage for which students can buy passes. It's not the most convenient to class option, but it gets you to campus so whatever. And I haven't heard of anyone having trouble securing one of those parking spots--but I also haven't really asked.

As you know from my post above, I'm currently living in the md apartments. But this summer I plan on finding one of the 2 flats just east of here to move into. I'd prefer that to the dedicated apartment buildings because they feel more "homey," but I could very well end up in some other apartment setup. But I plan to be right around here.

Just a heads up on the Financial Aid for you guys from a current UIC M1 student.

The living expense budgets they put out are set for $650, but you can get that extended up to $950/month.

So for example, I live in an apt. that costs $1630. UIC will divide that number in 2 (b/c it's 2 BR and I have a roommate on the list) and that comes to $815. As long as you APPLY for the increase, you will get it--I haven't heard of anyone being denied. So in the month of October, I got a nice little bonus to my checking account (10 months x $165).

That said, remember than any extra is just coming out in loans. I didn't mind b/c I had a full-tuition scholarship and therefore didn't need to get into the higher-rate loans, but it is a consideration. For most people, the Staffords are already maxed out and you'll be into supplementary loan territory and their corresponding higher interest. I generally take the opinion of "what the hell...it's not that much more" (and my credit cards reflect that sentiment), but I also tend to be less financially responsible than average.

Thanks for the information. I am really debating whether or not I should move from where I live currently to a place closer to campus. Have you found any advantage to being so close to campus?

Thanks for the information. I am really debating whether or not I should move from where I live currently to a place closer to campus. Have you found any advantage to being so close to campus?

Being close to campus has a great number of advantages for me. For starters, I don't have to deal with Chicago driving--commute times, searching for parking, paying for it, etc. Just getting to walk to class is great.

You just can't beat the convenience. It helps on those days that you just don't want to go because you feel guilty being so close. And there's a bunch of hospitals right here that you will undoubtedly be in-and-out of over the years, and it's nice to have it so close.

It's just a lot less hassle. And I like living near my fellow classmates.

Has anyone heard back from UMed yet? When do they start accepting people to the program?

I hear the latest rounds of decisions have been made/sent out....hope you receive some good news soon!

Has anyone heard back from UMed yet? When do they start accepting people to the program?

I sent them an e-mail... They only take 12-24 students/yr. In regards to the app process, they first check if we've been admitted to UIC, then make decisions on us. They don't begin notifying students until May 15, 2008 of their acceptance to UMed. :scared: That's a long time from now!!! Good luck to you!

Come meet your future classmates! Jak's Tap, 2/16/2008, 7pm. Be there or be a nurse. :laugh: j/k. But be there. srsly.