UIC Class of 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Guys:

About immunizations...is it true that the forms are due July 1st? I thought the form was due June 1st, but the office told me to get it in by July 1st. What have you guys been hearing?

Thanks!

The first packet said June 1 but the office says July 1. I got everything except my last Hep B titer into them just to be safe.

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone is still looking for housing in the Chicago area I have an amazing apartment in Wicker Park with two other M1s that I have to give up. I was going to go to UIC but plans changed. Send me a message if you're interested!

If the office said July 1st, I'd believe them. But they also called/e-mailed me a few times looking for it, so try and get it in as soon as you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all..

Does anyone know when student loan money (Federal/Grad Plus) get dispersed usually? Do they wait until after immunization records and everything else are in? I'm just wondering because I'm using a little bit of the extra money left over to cover some of my moving costs.

Hey all..

Does anyone know when student loan money (Federal/Grad Plus) get dispersed usually? Do they wait until after immunization records and everything else are in? I'm just wondering because I'm using a little bit of the extra money left over to cover some of my moving costs.

I could be wrong but based on my undergraduate experience and what other med schools told me, I believe the money doesn't get dispersed until the first week of school. So it means that we are on our own for the moving cost and 1st month of rent + security deposit. :( Such a headache.....

hey guys,
i just had my titers done and apparently I don't have immunity to hepB. My guess is that I'm going to have to get those shots done ASAP. has anyone has this issue and do you know if its a problem for the school in terms of matriculating?

hey guys,
i just had my titers done and apparently I don't have immunity to hepB. My guess is that I'm going to have to get those shots done ASAP. has anyone has this issue and do you know if its a problem for the school in terms of matriculating?

Get the series started ASAP and call the Admissions office. I suspect they'll tell you it'll be fine so long as you finish the series as soon as possible. :)

hey guys,

I was in the same situation as you. After talking to the admissions office, they said that as long as you get the second shot of the series done, you can just send in documentation and they'll check it off on your pre-enrollment requirements. So no worries there :D

I'm wondering about the 2 psychology requirement.

I only have 1 psych but a ton of other classes like Anthropology, Gerontology, Medical Ethics, etc.

Someone said the office sub'ed another social/behavioral science for him/her for 1 psych requirement. Is anyone here also has 1 psych class and okay'ed by the office by subbing another class?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I talked to Linda Singleton (I think) and she said they were pretty strict about that sociology requirement. I have a psych minor and so I had an abundance of psych courses but wouldn't allow me to use those as the sociology part. Luckily I had a course that fit the req.

Does anyone know when our fin aid forms are due to accept the award package? And does anyone know when we get housing assignments for the dorms?

Have you guys been explicitly contacted and told you need more psychology?

Have you guys been explicitly contacted and told you need more psychology?

I called today and the guy told me that you have to have at least 1 psych, and 1 behavioral science class (they are strict on this).

The 3rd one can either be another psych or another behavioral science.

Hope this helps.

All,

I had received a phone call in regard to my campus re-assignment on May 15th. I am just wondering what materials those individuals who were already assigned to the Chicago campus have received? Financial aid packet? Orientation Materials? Etc.

Also, for those others who received a campus re-assignment, have any of you received a written confirmation of the re-assignment?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had received a phone call in regard to my campus re-assignment on May 15th. I am just wondering what materials those individuals who were already assigned to the Chicago campus have received? Financial aid packet? Orientation Materials? Etc.

All we've received is the Financial Aid Award packet and the letter about the now-past "Second Look". I suspect we'll receive something about orientation in early July (but that's just me guessing).

Thanks Zip. Appreciate it.

Just a quick heads up to those who have received a site assignment change, check entreprise under registration and records: view student information. The page should reflect your site change, mine did NOT until I called earlier today and they changed it. If this page does not show you to be a Chicago tract student, they will not send out your new financial award package.

Lesson: Be annoying, call repeatedly until results are seen. Seriously. I'm not one to badger people but I make exceptions.

Additionally, just want to send a quick shout out to all my future classmates, can't wait to meet you all in August :smuggrin:

This may be a redundant posting but what the hell...

As for pre-reqs, parfee is dead on in regard to what you need. Go to:
http://www.medicine.uic.edu/admissions/apply_to_the_md_program/pre_requisites/

Basically, two of the three courses must be in the same field of study (e.g. two anthros, 1 psych, 2 psych, 1 anthro, and so forth)

Also, they will not call or email or mail you about you missing a required behavioral science class.

Apologies again for being redundant on parfee's post, but just thought I'd submit the link.

This may be a redundant posting but what the hell...

As for pre-reqs, parfee is dead on in regard to what you need. Go to:
http://www.medicine.uic.edu/admissions/apply_to_the_md_program/pre_requisites/

Basically, two of the three courses must be in the same field of study (e.g. two anthros, 1 psych, 2 psych, 1 anthro, and so forth)

Also, they will not call or email or mail you about you missing a required behavioral science class.

Apologies again for being redundant on parfee's post, but just thought I'd submit the link.

So do you all know who we talk to to make sure all of our requirements are complete?

So do you all know who we talk to to make sure all of our requirements are complete?

I did the usual routine of calling and talking to an admissions counselor on Thursdays. I was told by someone an admissions that they do contact people who need to fill holes based on what they've got listed on their AMCAS application.

Be forewarned that they've lists those pre-req's inconsistently, and you may get different answers talking to different people.

Last edited:
Hi everyone..

I'm going to Champaign on June 15. Is there anyone on here who has a floor I could sleep on for a night? Considering I have to save to move out of state (and apparently save for a month's rent + security deposit, due to loans not dispersing, apparently, til the first week of class), the gas costs are sorta breaking my bank to get out there.

If anyone could help me out that'd be great.

Paul

I've just been through the site reassignment thing as well. Thank GOD, it would have taken a lot to get me to leave this city.
Anyway, I'm at UIC now finishing up my MPH so I'm familiar with the whole UIC registration process. And I noticed that I'm eligible to register for the Fall 08 already. Anyone try to register yet? And how would we know what to register for exactly...? I know we all take the same courses but how do we find out exact course numbers? Why is everything so vague and confusing?
Another thought-- Anyone have any contacts to M2+ students who might be willing to tell me which books I actually need to buy and which aren't worth it?
I also met a student who randomly mentioned buying one of the Kaplan series (I think it was MedEssentials, but not sure) while she administered my physical exam. Thoughts?
So happy to be staying in Chicago!!! I'm reluctant to join Facebook for fear that random people will start stalking me from high school, but I'd be interested in meeting up with some of you...can we plan another event?

I've registered. Not exactly sure why I did it, I may not even have registered for all the required classes. But in any case, if you go to the undergraduate medical education page, click on the curriculum link and you will be able to find all the BMS (basic medical sciences) course number which correspond to classes on the "class search" function in registration and records through Enterprise. It looks like the last block of classes that end in "-chicago" are the classes we will be taking.

Not sure about the independent study course or those that end in -chicago but are not listed on the curriculum page. I ended up with 19 or so credits registered for, there may be more but I know for a fact that the classes I have already signed up for are needed and are going to be taken.

Also, a book list would be great since then we can start the vain attempt to get used books.

I've just been through the site reassignment thing as well. Thank GOD, it would have taken a lot to get me to leave this city.
Anyway, I'm at UIC now finishing up my MPH so I'm familiar with the whole UIC registration process. And I noticed that I'm eligible to register for the Fall 08 already. Anyone try to register yet? And how would we know what to register for exactly...? I know we all take the same courses but how do we find out exact course numbers? Why is everything so vague and confusing?
Another thought-- Anyone have any contacts to M2+ students who might be willing to tell me which books I actually need to buy and which aren't worth it?
I also met a student who randomly mentioned buying one of the Kaplan series (I think it was MedEssentials, but not sure) while she administered my physical exam. Thoughts?
So happy to be staying in Chicago!!! I'm reluctant to join Facebook for fear that random people will start stalking me from high school, but I'd be interested in meeting up with some of you...can we plan another event?

Wonderful that you brought the subject of having an event up! On the Facebook page, some of our other classmates and myself have suggested and volunteered to work on this for the summer. We are, however, waiting for one person (who will go unnamed in SDNlandia!) to return to the country next week. We would love to have some other folks help out and give us some ideas of places and such. PM me and let me know if you are interested.

On another note, you don't know what you are missing not being on facebook and all!:D

Last edited:
For anyone else that has recently completed your pre-enrollment requirements (i.e. immunization, coursework/transcripts), the person responsible for updating the info has been/will be gone for the next week or two. So, if you were starting to worry about why your status hasn't changed, I was told by the admissions office today that I should check the status again in about two weeks and it should be updated...

On another topic - is anyone on the UPR track interested in having a social event sometime this summer, perhaps in Urbana or Peoria?

About the transcripts, does UIC want them sent from each school separately, or is it fine that I collect all of them and send them all together? Also, do they have any special form to fill out for each transcript?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm leaving the country next week and I'm on the waitlist (1st quartile). I want to get everything ready so my brother can send the stuff for me if I get off the waitlist.

Besides the immunization record and transcripts, is there any other form that I should get ahead of time?

Thank you very much, and hope to be your classmate! :)

About the transcripts, does UIC want them sent from each school separately, or is it fine that I collect all of them and send them all together? Also, do they have any special form to fill out for each transcript?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm leaving the country next week and I'm on the waitlist (1st quartile). I want to get everything ready so my brother can send the stuff for me if I get off the waitlist.

Besides the immunization record and transcripts, is there any other form that I should get ahead of time?

Thank you very much, and hope to be your classmate! :)
They want all transcripts sent directly from the school(s) to the admissions office... Other than that and the immuno form, you should be good to go.

Hi everyone

I'll be on the chicago campus and looking for a roommate who will share a 2 bedroom apartment with me. Girls only please =D I'm quite, clean, and am looking to share an apt in the university village area where rent is about 800 for a room. I have a small dog (my avatar) so hopefully you're not allergic. Please let me know if anyone is interested, or if you can forward me anyone who is also looking for a roommate. I'll be moving from California, so a roommate would be great! The sooner the better so we can start looking for apartments together!

Thanks msg me!!!

Oh and I've started a thread for anyone else who is looking for roommates in the UIC chicago campus area.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=530521

Last edited:
I checked the Enterprise Financial Aid page and the actual numbers including the real award letter for Fall and Spring was posted. The tuition increased as opposed to last year (this was expected) but all in all, the package was good.
But I don't know why my Grad Plus loan says Offered instead of Accepted even though I sent the acceptance form? Does anyone have this same issue?

I checked the Enterprise Financial Aid page and the actual numbers including the real award letter for Fall and Spring was posted. The tuition increased as opposed to last year (this was expected) but all in all, the package was good.
But I don't know why my Grad Plus loan says Offered instead of Accepted even though I sent the acceptance form? Does anyone have this same issue?

Yeah I've been told I haven't officially accepted the Grad Plus, although I have copies of my signed return and did my promissories on line. I need to call FA tomorrow and follow up with that.

On a better note, my immunizations are in!!!

That's useful. If you log-in, it says you can download the file to iCal.. which would be super awesome. But I can't seem to download the file.. anyone else able to?

Looks like there's an error page when I try to download the calendar. If you need it asap I guess you could contact the webmaster? :oops:

Edit: I ended up sending an e-mail and it's fixed now :) I can view it on my Outlook calendar.

Last edited:
For those of you who still have the "Pre enrollment requirements not yet completed" statementl; I called the counselors and they said that the lady who handles those prereqs has been out of the office for 2 weeks but she'll be back on Monday reviewing the reqs.

Also, for those of you who still have the Grad Plus loan or other loans as "Offered" and not "Accepted" despite having sent the signed award letter, they will be processing those in 2-3 weeks.

Hope this helps.

I have a question, though, has anyone heard anything about registration? Have you received the course numbers or instructions or any paperwork related to this? Thxs, JV

As far as I know, everyone will register at the same time during orientation. The class schedule is the same for everyone, except for labs which are randoml assigned by student number. So, unlike undergrad where you had choices in days/times for classes and had to worry about registering early to get those choice classes, everyone in med school has the same classes/schedule.

Anyone have any news on chicago track transfer petitions?
I'm UPR now but I really need to be in Chicago. Feel free to PM if you have any advice/info, I'm pretty desperate right now. Thanks

Last edited:
This is why they really need to make UPR and Chicago separate schools. All this begging and pleading through the petitioning process is absolutely ridiculous.

Ah... newbies!!!

Here is a summary of what to expect at UIC-COM at Chicago

pre-M1 year:

people bitching on SDN thread about transferring to Chicago campus (FYI- it's really not that great, so don't put so much effort into it)

M1-
Lots of **** to do, not so much time.
Forget the textbooks, read the student-recommended books and co-ops.
Your last summer break ever!!

M2-
STEP 1- this is all you'll think about.

M3-
Some great learning experiences but also a lot of wondering about what the **** you're paying $50K a year for.

M4-
residency application- this is all you'll think about
step 2 CK and CS
after match though-
pure debauchery and senioritis... mmm, something I look forward to

Peace

This is why they really need to make UPR and Chicago separate schools. All this begging and pleading through the petitioning process is absolutely ridiculous.

Yes, I agree.

School is going to start soon enough - time to stop whining about placement and get in the mode for study.

I would have liked to go to U of C-Pritzker, but no such luck.

School is going to start soon enough - time to stop whining about placement and get in the mode for study.

I would have liked to go to U of C-Pritzker, but no such luck.

U of Chicago is actually a terrible school. You should consider yourself lucky that you didn't get in.

Hey guys, what day is orientation? I am out of the country but will be returning middle next month. I hope I have enough time to accept my financial package (received it but haven't responded in any way), get housing and complete my immunizations. I have everything done except for hepatitis B. By the way I am in the chicago campus and did explain my situation with an admissions officer before traveling.

Hey guys, what day is orientation? I am out of the country but will be returning middle next month. I hope I have enough time to accept my financial package (received it but haven't responded in any way), get housing and complete my immunizations. I have everything done except for hepatitis B. By the way I am in the chicago campus and did explain my situation with an admissions officer before traveling.

Tuesday, 8-12-08.

OrthoJock, how do we know which are the 'student-recommended books'?
Also, a student I ran into mentioned getting the Kaplan Med Essentials thing. Thoughts?
Also, what are the odds that I will successfully maintain all my notes on my laptop vs. keeping it old school, binder style?

Really? Pam in admissions told me it starts Monday, 8/11.
I posted a direct link previously to our eventual M1 class website. According to the OSA, it will be available July 1, 2008. If you go to the main page of the Office of Student Affairs, currently they list M1 orientation as Aug 11-14 2008 and the M1 white coat ceremony as Sat Aug 16, 2008. I would keep checking this website for up to date information on the Chicago orientation dates and any changes. http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam/osa/M1Year/index.htm

Last edited:
SJS2345,

Stop being such a gunner.

OrthoJock, how do we know which are the 'student-recommended books'?
Also, a student I ran into mentioned getting the Kaplan Med Essentials thing. Thoughts?
Also, what are the odds that I will successfully maintain all my notes on my laptop vs. keeping it old school, binder style?

Just an FYI

For anyone who's waiting to get a Chicago spot or an acceptance at UIC in general, I will be sadly withdrawing my acceptance tomorrow along with a Chicago seat. OOS tutition just became too much worry about at $78K a year. So a Chicago class spot will be opening up in the near future for anyone who wants a transfer. Good luck to you guys!

The Admissions Office told me that the White Coat Ceremony is on Friday this year.