Tulane vs USF SELECT vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• Tulane

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • USF SELECT

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • NYMC

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

Aksel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tulane was favorite. Immediate family ~2hrs from NYMC. Have family in Tampa and I like USF's 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum

Cost (undergrad debt included, and only including the cost for tuition, rent/utilities, and food, so it will likely cost more than what I listed. Cost also includes yearly tuition increases based historical rates): Tulane is $345-350K, USF SELECT $315K, NYMC $325K. Have $10K that will cover residency apps, but I currently do not own a car and haven't driven since I was 16. (potential total cost $375-380K, $345-350K, $355-360K respectively)

Goals: Want to do surgery- probably will end up aiming for a competitive specialty. 150% do not want to practice in NYS or conservative deep south. Other than that, open to different regions.

Cons: Tulane's price. I'm already going to be in a lot more debt than my peers, so I don't think I should push it

USF Select has a lot of extra activities and a summer project that may not be conducive to matching competitively (attached this year's matchlist for the program because it's their first large class- I know they matched a lot of specialties, but are the surgical programs competitive in their field? Basically, do they suggest that students were getting plenty of opportunities to publish and do research?). Clinical years in Allentown, PA at Lehigh Valley Hospital- I might have to fly back to Tampa for some electives/research 4th yr (only if I choose) and Lehigh doesn't have a huge amount of academic stuff going on from what I could tell.

NYMC has very spread out clinical sites. Definitely need a car. No one I spoke to knows how clinical sites are decided- I would want to stay at WMC for everything if possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• usfselectmatch.docx
    62.8 KB · Views: 80
While I didn't even get a II from any of these schools, Tulane is an amazing school, solid reputation, and living in NO for 4 years would be awesome. Tulane has my vote!

I'd go with Tulane since it's your favorite and you're interested in a competitive specialty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane. Also, those expected indebtedness figures are atrocious for each of those schools.

Most say that match lists are irrelevant and/or like reading tea leaves. That said, the current NYMC match list looks quite impressive.

Tulane. Also, those expected indebtedness figures are atrocious for each of those schools.
I know, that's why I don't know how much I should be focusing on minimizing the number.

I know, that's why I don't know how much I should be focusing on minimizing the number.

I agree, the COA for all of those schools is incredibly high. Any of them still handing out scholarships?

Regardless, I think Tulane would be your best bet if you are interested in surgery.

I agree, the COA for all of those schools is incredibly high. Any of them still handing out scholarships?

Regardless, I think Tulane would be your best bet if you are interested in surgery.
Don't know. I'm definitely going to talk to them because I'm not even sure I want to go if it is going to cost that much. Only so much financial stress I could take before I break. I speak 6 languages, so I've been looking into to maybe using my savings to set up somewhere else, attend med school there, and never return.

Thanks for your opinion :)