Tufts MBS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone made any progress on finding housing for the fall? I've been searching online and there are a a lot of apartments available, but I heard they start going quickly in about a month.

Members don't see this ad.

from what i've read on the thread, there was an attempt to make a Tufts MBS 2012-2013 Class group on facebook, but for some reason facebook didn't allow it. is there any other way to start getting next year's students together so that we can discuss housing and the like?

housing's been a pain. so expensive. still looking. just trying to stay along orange line.

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i've read on the thread, there was an attempt to make a Tufts MBS 2012-2013 Class group on facebook, but for some reason facebook didn't allow it. is there any other way to start getting next year's students together so that we can discuss housing and the like?

housing's been a pain. so expensive. still looking. just trying to stay along orange line.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/133141510155251

I posted it on the previous page (fixed the issue with creating it).

I'm still waiting to hear back for Posner so I can actually commit to something if it doesn't work out. I just hope there will be nearby places still left by then.

Has anyone been able to get a hold of the admin? I know it's late, but I was wondering if it's still possible to apply?

If anyone is looking for a roommate/s, let me know. I've found a few places I'm interested in, but need some roommates.

Just got a place in Posner Hall - anyone else going to be living there as well?

I'm def looking for roommates. Where have you found places to live at and what are the complexes' names?

If anyone is looking for a roommate/s, let me know. I've found a few places I'm interested in, but need some roommates.

Just got accepted yesterday!!
I'm definitely looking for roommates, as a studio or a 1 br is incredibly overpriced around there.

Looking for a roommate! Responsible and clean, please! 2 bed/1 bath or 3 bed/2bath seems reasonable to me. Hopefully, someplace ~20min to Tufts Med, ~$1,000/month including utilities. I've looked around, but there's no point if without having other ppl on board. PHPD Housing is kind of inconvenient, and the facebook Tufts MBS thread has been quiet lately.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but I've never been to Boston but am excited about living in the city.

PM if you're interested.

this may be a silly question to ask and im not too concerned but i figured any insight is better than none. Any past MBSers know if we will be using any special software (like anatomy i heard was a computer based class or something????) because Im thinking of getting a mac and compatibility problems are a major hesitation. Thanks!

this may be a silly question to ask and im not too concerned but i figured any insight is better than none. Any past MBSers know if we will be using any special software (like anatomy i heard was a computer based class or something????) because Im thinking of getting a mac and compatibility problems are a major hesitation. Thanks!

No special software is used that I can think of. Anatomy uses an online program so it doesn't matter if you have a Mac or PC.

Also you can just run bootcamp and have windows on your Mac though I don't think it's necessary. I'd say most people actually had a Mac this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi big MBS family! :)
Firstable, congratulations on being accepted to the program. It seems like a wonderful to program to increase your chances of getting accepted to med school.
Second, I wanted to ask for you insight. I'm actually applying for the program. Could you guys give me some insight regarding the personal statement? They want to know how the MBS degree would help us achieve our goals. Could you share what you addressed on your personal statement specifically?

Thank you very much and I really appriciate your help. :)

I am pretty late jumping on the Tufts train here... Do I have any chance to get into this program at this point or is the class full?

I am pretty late jumping on the Tufts train here... Do I have any chance to get into this program at this point or is the class full?
I dont thin it is. I've been emaling back and forth with the program director and she hasnt mentioned anything about the class being full.

Can anyone comment on the difference between the Master of Medical Sciences program and the M.S. Biomedical Sciences?

My stats are 29 MCAT, 3.0 GPA, 2.8 science GPA, and I'm looking for the best program to boost my credentials for med school, even thought I understand that Tufts doesn't have linkage.

I dont thin it is. I've been emaling back and forth with the program director and she hasnt mentioned anything about the class being full.

I just finished sending everything into to Tufts... hope to hear back in a few weeks. Although I was told no more admissions decisions until after July 9th...

Can anyone comment on the difference between the Master of Medical Sciences program and the M.S. Biomedical Sciences?

My stats are 29 MCAT, 3.0 GPA, 2.8 science GPA, and I'm looking for the best program to boost my credentials for med school, even thought I understand that Tufts doesn't have linkage.

No difference, both are Masters degrees. I don't know if you are referring to different programs at different schools, in that case the coursework would differ and in that case Tufts is probably superior

Is there a list of textbooks we'll need? I'm trying to go ahead and buy them used online if possible instead of inevitably getting ripped off by the school's bookstore.

Hey everyone,

I'm moving out soon (in a few days) from my apt on 761 Harrison Ave. (Harrison Court across from BU) and need to get rid of my stuff. This includes: bed+mattress, 2 desks, office chair, printer, small dining table + 5 chairs, microwave, toaster oven, (unused) utensils, 2 floor lamps, 2 storage containers w/drawers, and I'm sure there's more that I'm missing.

Please PM me if you're interested! I'll sell everything for a super cheap price (you name it) and throw in anything else you want too. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Did all the past MBS'ers who are out of state buy the Student Health Insurance? Im wondering because it actually seems a bit pricey and I wish there was someway my health insurance would allow coverage in MA. Any suggestions from past MBS'ers or anyone who may have insight? Thanks!

Is there a list of textbooks we'll need? I'm trying to go ahead and buy them used online if possible instead of inevitably getting ripped off by the school's bookstore.

There is a list of books, but you don't need them. You'll get a nice syllabus, which is a cliff notes version of all of the classes that are prepared by the instructors. I also was once one of these students that HAD to have the book, but it was a waste of money. You won't really have time to do all of the readings, and will only use the books as a reference. Also, if you really need the books they are on reserve at the library. I would wait until you get the syllabi and start with classes before deciding on flushing more money down the toilet. Oh, and just use Amazon Prime, you'll get them in like a day or two (plus, the bookstore isn't that overpriced at Tufts...for some books)

I would recommend getting the Netter's atlas and the coloring book does come in handy too (especially for the first anatomy exam, but that's in the spring)

Last edited:
Hi guys. For current students: what percentage of students who start the program get into medical school within one or two years?

Hey is anyone still looking for a roommate? I'm easy going, clean, and responsible. I'm thinking about trying to find a place somewhere in beacon hill, back bay, north/south ends, or maybe fenway at the farthest. PM me if you're interested!

Does anybody know whether the guaranteed interview apply after the completion of the program or do they also offer interviews to the top 25% that are applying to med schools the same year (I.e. no gap year)?

Does anybody know whether the guaranteed interview apply after the completion of the program or do they also offer interviews to the top 25% that are applying to med schools the same year (I.e. no gap year)?

They don't have your grades if you're not taking a gap year, therefore you cannot be the top 25% until you complete the program. It's only the top 25% of the program upon completion

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I've applied to this program and am awaiting a decision. Just wondering, is a rejection sent by mail/posted on the site or both?

Is acceptance by site/mail/phone?

Thanks!

Just checked the website. I have been waitlisted. Anyone know how much movement I should expect? Thanks in advance.

Just checked the website. I have been waitlisted. Anyone know how much movement I should expect? Thanks in advance.

I got accepted off of the waitlist, but I wasn't told my position. All I can tell you is that they will call you with an acceptance as late as a week before orientation. I suggest you be prepared. I was caught off guard and ended up being homeless in Boston for almost 3 weeks.

I got accepted off of the waitlist, but I wasn't told my position. All I can tell you is that they will call you with an acceptance as late as a week before orientation. I suggest you be prepared. I was caught off guard and ended up being homeless in Boston for almost 3 weeks.

When we're you waitlisted? I applied at the end of May and just received a notification of waitlist. Just trying to gauge where I might be in the list and if I have a chance.

When we're you waitlisted? I applied at the end of May and just received a notification of waitlist. Just trying to gauge where I might be in the list and if I have a chance.

What day did you apply? Did you find out you were waitlisted on Saturday the 21st? My application was completed on the 16th. I still haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone else how many students are waitlisted by any chance?

What day did you apply? Did you find out you were waitlisted on Saturday the 21st? My application was completed on the 16th. I still haven't heard anything yet.

Does anyone else how many students are waitlisted by any chance?

I completed my application on 5/30/12. I found out I was waitlisted Friday evening by checking online. I had a letter in the mail on Saturday stating the same thing.

Applied two weeks ago, got in! Doing Financial Aid stuff. I only have a week to respond though, which is very inconvenient.

Trying to decide whether to do this or go on my own at UCONN, my state school and alma matter.

Thoughts? 62k is a little rough...

If I do go, I'd need a roommate. I'm a pretty laid back guy that loves Boston Sports and needs to go out on weekends.

EDIT: How are you guys paying for this?

Last edited:
Applied two weeks ago, got in! Doing Financial Aid stuff. I only have a week to respond though, which is very inconvenient.

Trying to decide whether to do this or go on my own at UCONN, my state school and alma matter.

Thoughts? 62k is a little rough...

If I do go, I'd need a roommate. I'm a pretty laid back guy that loves Boston Sports and needs to go out on weekends.

EDIT: How are you guys paying for this?

Could you tell us what day you applied and what day you were accepted? I'm still waiting on acceptance, but I'm also looking for a roomate if I get in.

Do they always call to notify those on the waitlist of an acceptance or do they send an email also?

Could you tell us what day you applied and what day you were accepted? I'm still waiting on acceptance, but I'm also looking for a roomate if I get in.

I applied the 4th of July I believe. Was accepted the day of my post.

Anyone looking for a roommate? I'd rather not live with an undergrad...

I have applied to this program and am still waiting to hear back. I got into BU MAMS program, however, medical school is not a for sure thing in my future. I also have interests in pursuing a PhD in biomedical science, or an MD/PhD. Does anyone know if there are students who go through this program in hopes to pursue a research career, or is this strictly a medical school program?

Past MBS students.. how did people in your class go about getting clinical experience around here? Does Tufts provide opportunities or should we go seek those out on our own?

You can find your own or volunteer at a clinic run by the med students called Sharewood on Tuesdays

this is painful! its friday and orientation is next week! guess we are out of the running :(

don't give up yet! I literally just got a call this morning like 20 minutes ago

So guys, how's everything going with the MBS now that Fall is underway?