Tufts MBS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So on the Tufts MBS official website it says there is only a fall start and that is in late August...but I couldn't find the duration of the program. Is it a 12 months or a 18 months program? :confused:

The classes begin mid August and go till mid May. Of course you have winter break and spring break and other holidays.

Then you have to do a thesis, which can either be started during the year or the summer or can be done in the following year depending on your own decisions and options.

Members don't see this ad.

So is this program at the Tufts Medical Center or near the Tufts undergraduate campus? Making some early inquiries into housing..

So is this program at the Tufts Medical Center or near the Tufts undergraduate campus? Making some early inquiries into housing..

It is at the Tufts Medical Campus in Downtown Boston. Near Chinatown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a difference between a MS and a MBS degree?

do you guys know where we mark MBS on Embark application? I do not see MBS on there.

I am submitting my application tomorrow. I also applied to medical school this cycle. Still awaiting an answer from the two medical schools I interviewed at last month.

Is applying in April going to affect my chances at being accepted to the Tufts MBS program???

GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 27O (retaking May 31st)
Strong LOR's
2 interviews this cycle....

I am a Boston native and would love to stay in the area...

Thanks!

Just viewed my decision online and I was admitted! Yay!

Hi, I have been frequently lurking here in the past few weeks but was recently accepted to this program and will most likely attend in the fall!

Quick question to current students, do you know approximately how many people apply prior to attending the MBS program and of those people how many are usually successful? Also, does Tufts provide support through the application process if you apply prior to entering the MBS program? From the website it sounds as if everything they do is geared towards applying after the MBS year.

Thanks for your help and congrats to all the other accepted applicants :thumbup:

Hi, I have been frequently lurking here in the past few weeks but was recently accepted to this program and will most likely attend in the fall!

Quick question to current students, do you know approximately how many people apply prior to attending the MBS program and of those people how many are usually successful? Also, does Tufts provide support through the application process if you apply prior to entering the MBS program? From the website it sounds as if everything they do is geared towards applying after the MBS year.

Thanks for your help and congrats to all the other accepted applicants :thumbup:
How long has it taken to hear back?

Complete mid-March, so just about 4 weeks? Sent my items quite early, though. Anyone going to the open house in May?
Thanks. I was complete mid february and still haven't heard. I'll probably call since it's been 8 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am submitting my application tomorrow. I also applied to medical school this cycle. Still awaiting an answer from the two medical schools I interviewed at last month.

Is applying in April going to affect my chances at being accepted to the Tufts MBS program???

GPA: 3.4
MCAT: 27O (retaking May 31st)
Strong LOR's
2 interviews this cycle....

I am a Boston native and would love to stay in the area...

Thanks!

Definitely get the MCAT up, it's probably hurting you more than your GPA. But you should be okay to get into this SMP program.

I don't know the exact number but I'm guessing around 15-20 people applied while in the program. It has been a mix of successful vs not-successful. It really is an individual case by case scenario since all have different academic backgrounds, activities and leadership and MCATs and applications as a whole. Of the ones I can think of, 4 have acceptances to Tufts for next year, 2 have been deferred, 1 has had an interview and I don't know if she's heard back, 2 have acceptances to DO schools, 1 has an acceptance to a dental school, 1 has an acceptance to another MD school, 1 has been wait listed to a couple schools, 2 have not heard anything.

To be honest, tufts did not help too much with the application process. I had to do everything on my own which at times delayed my application. The advisor you are paired with can provide some advice but it's up to you. I am working on setting up an advising or some sort of process that the program can follow next year to help students who apply the same year so if you come here hopefully we'll have something for you.

They do gear most of their advising to those applying the following year and tend to suggest it. Though not as much as BU. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I was complete mid february and still haven't heard. I'll probably call since it's been 8 weeks.

To be honest you guys should be patient, I applied mid-february last year and didn't hear back till may haha.

I don't know the exact number but I'm guessing around 15-20 people applied while in the program. It has been a mix of successful vs not-successful. It really is an individual case by case scenario since all have different academic backgrounds, activities and leadership and MCATs and applications as a whole. Of the ones I can think of, 4 have acceptances to Tufts for next year, 2 have been deferred, 1 has had an interview and I don't know if she's heard back, 2 have acceptances to DO schools, 1 has an acceptance to a dental school, 1 has an acceptance to another MD school, 1 has been wait listed to a couple schools, 2 have not heard anything.

To be honest, tufts did not help too much with the application process. I had to do everything on my own which at times delayed my application. The advisor you are paired with can provide some advice but it's up to you. I am working on setting up an advising or some sort of process that the program can follow next year to help students who apply the same year so if you come here hopefully we'll have something for you.

They do gear most of their advising to those applying the following year and tend to suggest it. Though not as much as BU. Hope this helps!

Thanks this is super helpful! I actually contacted and received a reply from Ms. Stephens-Hicks and she said that most people apply the summer prior but from what it sounds like (and also some digging through older threads) that isn't the case.

Definitely get the MCAT up, it's probably hurting you more than your GPA. But you should be okay to get into this SMP program.

Thanks! I won't be applying to the Tufts MBS program anymore though.

Got great news yesterday. I was accepted to the New York Medical College!

Class of 2016!! :D

Yay! This gives me hope that I'll get into some of the schools I've recently interviewed at too. Congratulations!

Congrats! I was offered an interview there but declined because I was already accepted to Tufts (better school IMO). But I'm happy for you that you don't have to go through another year of applying! It sucks! haha

can we get an update on how your class did in terms of applying to med school this year? would you reccomend this program over georgetown? i was surprised to get so many smp acceptances - i have 3.2 tough school, upward trend; and 27mcat(10v10b7p). where would my best chance be, assuming my mcat goes up this summer.

can we get an update on how your class did in terms of applying to med school this year? would you reccomend this program over georgetown? i was surprised to get so many smp acceptances - i have 3.2 tough school, upward trend; and 27mcat(10v10b7p). where would my best chance be, assuming my mcat goes up this summer.

Nothing has really changed in terms of acceptances since mentioned earlier in the thread. I would choose your SMP in terms of where you would enjoy your time the most. Personally, I would suggest Boston because it is the best. I really don't think you can go wrong with either Tufts or Georgetown.

Just got my acceptance today! Still waiting on Boston and Georgetown though. Does anyone know if its pretty hard to get the on-campus housing?

Nothing has really changed in terms of acceptances since mentioned earlier in the thread. I would choose your SMP in terms of where you would enjoy your time the most. Personally, I would suggest Boston because it is the best. I really don't think you can go wrong with either Tufts or Georgetown.
Appreciate the response, but still a bit confused - why do only 20/100 apply the first year? since most who go to smp are borderline already, isn't it worth trying? and if only 20 in the tufts program apply, how do 25 get into Tufts (a stat I thought i read somewhere). also, since the admittedly selfish objective is to be better than all others, would it be better to go to program that had less competitive students, but still good linkage? (and everyone feel free to chime in with suggestions here ...)

Hey everyone. I am a current MBS student finishing up the program. For those of you already accepted and planning on starting this fall, I have an apartment going up for rent starting June 1st. Its located on Hudson Street which is two blocks directly behind Tufts in Chinatown, and less than a 5 minute walk which makes it perfect for going to class.. especially on exam days. Its a pretty spacious one bedroom apartment on the first floor (easy move-in/out) with plenty of sunlight which is good if you like to study at home. I also got a discount on my rent since I was a Tufts student. I've really loved living here and the location is perfect! Feel free to message me if you want some details or are taking a trip up and want to take a look. Also, if you have any questions about the program itself I'd be more than happy to answer those for you too. Best of luck!

Just got my acceptance today! Still waiting on Boston and Georgetown though. Does anyone know if its pretty hard to get the on-campus housing?

From what I know the on-campus housing is mainly for med students and dental students. I know a few MBS students that have housing there, but I if you're thinking of staying there I'd go and apply for a spot right now. I hear the few spots that are available fill up really quickly.

Appreciate the response, but still a bit confused - why do only 20/100 apply the first year? since most who go to smp are borderline already, isn't it worth trying? and if only 20 in the tufts program apply, how do 25 get into Tufts (a stat I thought i read somewhere). also, since the admittedly selfish objective is to be better than all others, would it be better to go to program that had less competitive students, but still good linkage? (and everyone feel free to chime in with suggestions here ...)

The 20/100 is an estimate. There are no official numbers, so I wouldn't take that number as an absolute. Also, I'm not sure where you got the 25 from. I think that there are some numbers floating out there that claim that around the top 25% of the class get interviews after completing the program when applying for the next cycle. From what I hear that's pretty accurate. I think someone from last year said even more are offered interviews after the completing the program. As for the doing better than everyone in the program, if you're not confident enough to be competitive at a competitive SMP I don't know if you should consider applying for medical school in the first place. But, if your set on going to a "less competitive" SMP I would still recommend going to Georgetown, Tufts, or BU. You'll have more chances to get into more schools, rather than only having an increased chance to get into only the linkage school.

It all depends on what you want. Do you just want an SMP that gets you only into that school? If that's the case, go to Toledo, Creighton or Temple. Do you want an SMP that is geared towards getting you multiple acceptances so you have a choice? Or maybe to get into a higher ranked med school? Then go to Tufts, Georgetown or BU.

As for less competitive students, I believe anywhere you go will have competitive students. It's a pre-medical program to get you into MEDICAL SCHOOL. Anywhere you go will have tons of competition. Even other schools with good linkage. If you think about it, they don't take every single student from their SMP, so in a way the competition there is even higher because you're competing with everyone for those couple of spots. At tufts, BU or Georgetown, lots of students end up elsewhere (state schools and other schools). So in the end you're not really competing with your classmates as much as you're competing to score higher than the current med students.

And the numbers aren't exact. I can tell you *around* 20 out of 119 applied from our program. You say most SMPers are borderline, but what is keeping them back? For the most part, a low GPA. If your GPA is low, applying same year would only cause you to receive wait lists because med schools are going to want to see a full year of grades. They'll end up wait listing you or holding off on giving you an interview until the last second when they see most of your SMP grades. So it's probably a better idea to take the full year of grades and apply a year after with a higher GPA and possibly higher MCAT (since our program offers a princeton review course). Of course this is just a recommendation and my own opinion.

And soggydog is right, you probably read that the top 25% of the class receive interviews to tufts. The number is actually closer to 50% but this is for the year AFTER you complete the program. And not all of these students are accepted either.

As for a lot of people deciding between Tufts, BU and Georgetown.. here are my opinions (obviously biased because I went to tufts)

Tufts vs BU
1) I have heard BU is much harder and work intensive than Tufts. This does not mean Tufts is teaching you less, because you're taking the exact classes as med students.
2) I also have heard BU is more of a 2-year program geared towards you applying after your first year. Tufts only provides classes for 1 year. This may be what you want if you don't want to find something for that year you are applying, but I don't know how people could possibly do two years of a program like this. It's intense.
3) BU is a lot harder of a med school to get into than Tufts.

Tufts vs Georgetown
1) I've heard georgetown's advising is terrible, the advisors advise a lot of students and end up writing very generic letters of recommendation and update letters. Tufts assigns about 10 students to an advisor and while some advisors are hit or miss you can always contact any of the faculty and many who are really helpful would be willing to be an unofficial advisor to you
2) Georgetown is geared more towards you applying the year you're in their program. Does that make it better or worse? Well it depends on your own specific stats. Like I said above, if your MCAT is on the low side (below a 3.4), applying same year may not be as fruitful as you want it to be and you might be better off waiting a full year.
3) georgetown is the oldest SMP and probably best known
4) Housing at georgetown I've heard is even more expensive than in Boston

If you have any other questions please post to this thread. I've received a lot of PMs about questions like these and would prefer to just answer them on the Tufts MBS thread so that I don't get asked repeat questions. A good example was a recent PM i received about books and supplies, I'm sure everyone would like to know that information so please post it to the thread rather than PM me directly. But especially questions about Tufts vs Other SMPs. Aside from the fact that I am biased and posting to the thread will get you other opinions, I also don't know much about a lot of the other SMPs or Post-bacs because I didn't do them so posting to a thread might help you more. Thanks

Oh and for people still concerned about applying while in the program, I am in the process of creating a committee of students from this year to help improve the advising provided to those that will apply to med school while in the MBS program next year.

Reactions: 1 user
And to be honest, the Tufts Vs. Any other SMP has been beaten to death by multiple threads. Please use the search button in the post-bac program section to search this. Thanks.

Hi,

I have what you would consider a borderline gpa for med school admission and a good mcat score. Does anyone have a sense of what would be considered a good gpa from a special masters program like tufts. For example, if I completed the program and end up with a 3.5 GPA could be potentially a negative on my application to med school? thanks.

Hi,

I have what you would consider a borderline gpa for med school admission and a good mcat score. Does anyone have a sense of what would be considered a good gpa from a special masters program like tufts. For example, if I completed the program and end up with a 3.5 GPA could be potentially a negative on my application to med school? thanks.

I think that if you can score above a 3.6 in this program you'll probably do well. We don't have any stats on the GPA of past students that were accepted. Pretty much what a 3.6 boils down to would be about an A- average with a potential slip up in a class...such as introduction to clinical medicine. Also, Tufts has a good reputation as an SMP, so that might also work in your favor. Also, if you already have a borderline GPA for med school you should do fine in this program. Probably over a 3.7, don't sell yourself short.

Just got accepted, but I'm hoping to get in off a wait list for medical school.

I just got accepted too. Applied 4/1 and heard back after 4 weeks. Does anyone know how I can apply for financial aid? thanks!

Hi, Does anyone have any advice on where to find affordable housing in near Tufts Med sch? And what is the most convenient location? Thanks!

I def appreciate your articulate response; I have searched all the postings comparing tifts/bu/georgetown but honestly there are minimal facts & stats posted; ie probly less than 5 smp students confirming med school admission within the same year, so it remains difficult to choose among these programs that I feel so fortunate to have been accepted to, but want to take the best shot at avoiding another gap year!!! Anyways, sent in my Tufts deposit and will be attending May 31 open house - any suggestions for apartment buildings (beyond the Tufts postings, already have those); I want to be walking distance. - other suggestions to- I've never been to Boston!!!

Hi, Does anyone have any advice on where to find affordable housing in near Tufts Med sch? And what is the most convenient location? Thanks!

What do you consider affordable? I would be prepared to spend at least between $1000 and $1500 for a place within walking distance. If you can split something like a 2 bed/1 bath, you might be able to find something for $900 within walking distance.

Thanks for your reply! Where can i find an apartment for around $1000 within walking distance? All the ones i have seen on craigslist are at least $1500 and up. And do MBS students live in Posner Hall? Thanks!

Speaking of housing - does Tufts provide a list of students looking for roommates? I know some schools do. I know a doc that went to Tufts so I'm going to ask him for suggestions. If anyone finds a place and is looking for roommates, PM me! Otherwise if I find something I'll post on here. I'm 90% sure I'm going to Tufts (if I don't hear back from BU and Georgetown by the end of next week then I'm probably going to submit my deposit the following week).

Thanks for your reply! Where can i find an apartment for around $1000 within walking distance? All the ones i have seen on craigslist are at least $1500 and up. And do MBS students live in Posner Hall? Thanks!

I know of a few people that are living on Tyler street for about $1000 a person. The one I know of is 2 bed/1 bath. I know of a few people living in Chinatown. I'd stay away from Downtown Crossing, the prices are pretty high there. You might get lucky and find a 3 or 4 bedroom for a reasonable price. Tufts has a housing site. It's not that great, but it's a place to start. If you apply early you might be able to get into Posner.

Speaking of housing - does Tufts provide a list of students looking for roommates? I know some schools do. I know a doc that went to Tufts so I'm going to ask him for suggestions. If anyone finds a place and is looking for roommates, PM me! Otherwise if I find something I'll post on here. I'm 90% sure I'm going to Tufts (if I don't hear back from BU and Georgetown by the end of next week then I'm probably going to submit my deposit the following week).

I don't think they have a roommates website. We had a bunch of people ask around on the Facebook group that someone created.

With much sadness, I just declined my acceptance to Tufts, hope someone awesome on the wait list gets my spot!

Hey everyone,

My application is complete as of today 5/1. I had everything but 1 LOR that was holding me back! I am really hoping I'm not too late - Tufts, RFU, and Loyola are my top programs! Congrats to everyone who has gotten in thus far, hopefully I will find out soon!
cGPA: 3.2
sGPA: 3.1
MCAT 34O

I'm in. Got mail today and called Risi to confirm. Whew... I was scared after NYMC put me on the traditional track, which I considered to be a quiet rejection.

I submitted at end of March, but LoR got held up until mid April. So maybe 2 weeks or so for response? I was seriously concerned after reading some of the things here.

GPA: 3.3, sGPA: 3.0 (or just shy of that 2.98 depending on scaling)
MCAT: 30

I've good LoRs though, one from the company president I worked at as researcher for 2 years+, no publications but posters and two manuscripts, which two of my writers can confirm. Along with modest shadowing and good clinical exposure, hospice, ER etc.

So, I wouldn't worry too much if you don't have stellar stats. It's why we're after these programs right? Now I can focus on that MCAT retake pronto. :laugh:

Just got my acceptance and could not be happier!!! They reviewed my application incredibly fast (1 week)! Not 100% sure I'm going, waiting to hear back from BU & RFU.. but I don't know how I can pass Tufts up!!!!

application completed mid-april and still awaiting decision.. all this waiting is so nerve wracking!!! i'm hoping for good news :)

So obviously, the objective of this program isn't to get people into Tufts Med school specifically, but rather med school in general. But does anyone have any idea of how many people from this program actually matriculate into the Tufts medschool? Trying to decide between Tufts and BU, and a better linkage would be awesome.