Tufts MBS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
accepted too! congrats to everyone!

just had a quick question: I recently heard that MBS students don't actually take "live" classes; MBS students watch video-taped lectures instead of attending actual lectures. Is there any truth to this? Thanks!
And also after the live streamed lectures, there usually is a professor or TA available in the classroom to answer questions. For Immunology we actually had a "mini lecture" after the med students where the professor came in and reviewed the concepts from lecture. FYI: Immunology is very well taught at Tufts

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! Just to give another suggestion that no one else has mentioned yet for you...have you thought about applying for the program with a GRE?-

HI
Does anyone know what GRE scores this program accepts? I have a 3.42 undergrad gpa bio major, chem minor, neuroscience concentration, taking my mcat in april, did research over the summer and for a semester at undergrad, played lacrosse all 4 years (captain/president of club team and captain of varsity team for 2 years). I currently work as a CNA.

Thanks

Anyone know if Tufts MBS accepts LORs I used for a medical school application cycle? Would they rather have them be specifically addressed to their program?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished the courses for the BU MAMS program with a 3.65 and have not been successful in medical admissions thus far...should I consider the Tufts program?
Please chime in current MBS'ers :D

I just finished the courses for the BU MAMS program with a 3.65 and have not been successful in medical admissions thus far...should I consider the Tufts program?
Please chime in current MBS'ers :D
No. Its the same thing.

I just got my acceptance in the mail! See you all in the Fall!

Anyone know if Tufts MBS accepts LORs I used for a medical school application cycle? Would they rather have them be specifically addressed to their program?

Thanks a bunch!

Yes Tufts accepts LORs used for a medical school application cycle. I used mine for that. good luck!

Hey guys,

So it's late February and my MCAT scores cam out today...and I'm panicking. I have a 27R currently, and I'm sitting on a 3.01 GPA, strong ECs and very strong recommendations (plus, >3.6GPA past two semesters). I desperately would like to go to the Tufts Special Master's Program come this fall...I don't know what happend with the MCAT. Does anyone have some advice on what I can do to improve my chances? Should I retake my MCAT and wait to finish my application? (The MCAT scores are all that's missing?) Or submit these scores and wait...hellllllllllp.

Thanks for any advice at all!
I would consider retaking the MCAT. To be honest I have exactly the same stats as you, but I got in off the wait list at the last minute. It really depends on your MCAT score distribution, your work experience, and your ECs. I would also just contact the admissions office, they are very helpful.

Hi,

I know when I applied most programs wanted something above a 550 in each section. So if you can get yourself in the upper 500s you should be straight. I honestly studied for the GRE for like 3 weeks and my scores were all between a 590 and 700...and I'm not that great with standardized tests at all...so it is doable. I know they just changed the GRE recently though so I can't tell you if any of those requirements have changed. Best choice is obviously to just go on the program website, they should have some minimum scores on there for the tests they accept.

lol, first of all--don't panic. Your chances shouldn't be completely shot. Like someone else already said, consider applying with the score you have now and hopefully you should be able to make it in. BUT I hate to keep saying this to people...but please please please do not retake the mcat right away if you are not prepared. You can consider maybe going for a GRE. But you do need to make sure you retake your mcat when you feel most prepared, and the program offers a PR course that can help you do that if you don't wanna do it before going in. But please don't rush an mcat for the sake of getting into the program....

Hi everyone,

I was just accepted to Tufts MBS. I have pending acceptances at BU MAMS and NYMC Accelerated MBS. Anyway, I have some questions about the Tufts program and hopefully somebody here can answer them so that I can have an easier time deciding which program to ultimately attend:

Do students apply to medical school prior to their matriculation at
Tufts MBS, or do they wait till after the program? I know that it really depends on the student and their numbers. I have a 32R and 3.4ish GPA's (Great LOR's, EC's, Research, etc...). At this point, I really want to start medical school asap and I have had no luck so far this cycle.

Do students live primarily on-campus? Is it easy to get on-campus housing?

I understand that the top 25% of the class get invited to interview
at Tufts MD. I was wondering if that applies solely to those who first
complete the program, and then apply, or does Tufts MD wait till first semester MBS grades are posted to decide who to invite for a late interview.

What is the success rate of students applying to medical schools
either during their matriculation, or after completing Tufts MBS?

I understand that this program is very demanding, and I am prepared
for it. In any case, do most students succeed in the program, or do
some decide to drop out? How good are the advisers at Tufts?

Thanks everyone!

Are there any pre-dents that were accepted into this prog? Either past or present?

I'm trying to gauge what the average GPA and DAT for admissions into this thing is. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like I'm in the opposite situation as everyone else going for a post bac...

I have a >3.0 undergrad GPA but have very low MCAT/GRE scores..

i'm planning on retaking the GRE next saturday but i'm not confident - my vocabulary bank is very small. =/

Does anyone know the minimum requirements for GRE scores for this program? I emailed them the other day but haven't gotten a response yet and thought maybe someone on here would already know.

Are there any pre-dents that were accepted into this prog? Either past or present?

I'm trying to gauge what the average GPA and DAT for admissions into this thing is. Thanks.
I know of one predent that is currently in the program. He's been accepted to UCSF. Unfortunately, I don't know his DAT scores

I feel like I'm in the opposite situation as everyone else going for a post bac...

I have a >3.0 undergrad GPA but have very low MCAT/GRE scores..

i'm planning on retaking the GRE next saturday but i'm not confident - my vocabulary bank is very small. =/

Does anyone know the minimum requirements for GRE scores for this program? I emailed them the other day but haven't gotten a response yet and thought maybe someone on here would already know.
I would definitely aim for higher than a 1200

Hi everyone,

I was just accepted to Tufts MBS. I have pending acceptances at BU MAMS and NYMC Accelerated MBS. Anyway, I have some questions about the Tufts program and hopefully somebody here can answer them so that I can have an easier time deciding which program to ultimately attend:

Do students apply to medical school prior to their matriculation at
Tufts MBS, or do they wait till after the program? I know that it really depends on the student and their numbers. I have a 32R and 3.4ish GPA's (Great LOR's, EC's, Research, etc...). At this point, I really want to start medical school asap and I have had no luck so far this cycle.

Do students live primarily on-campus? Is it easy to get on-campus housing?

I understand that the top 25% of the class get invited to interview
at Tufts MD. I was wondering if that applies solely to those who first
complete the program, and then apply, or does Tufts MD wait till first semester MBS grades are posted to decide who to invite for a late interview.

What is the success rate of students applying to medical schools
either during their matriculation, or after completing Tufts MBS?

I understand that this program is very demanding, and I am prepared
for it. In any case, do most students succeed in the program, or do
some decide to drop out? How good are the advisers at Tufts?

Thanks everyone!
Some students do apply during their first year. I know at BU they discourage students from applying the year they enter the MAMS program. I know of a few people that have gained acceptance into MD and DO schools. I know of two people that have gotten into Tufts and of at least 3 more that have interviewed. I think most people apply after the program just so schools can see grades. If you do apply during the year, most schools will probably want to see your med foundations scores (these are the first handful of classes you will take in the program). As for housing I'm not sure how easy it is to get on campus housing. I know of a few people staying at the dorms, but from what I hear there aren't that many rooms available to MBS students. Most students live off campus. There are a few place to stay in the area, and I hear just about anywhere on the orange line north of Ruggles station is still fairly convenient. I personally live in Downtown Crossing just down the street from campus.
The advisors here are very helpful, and are very invested in getting you into medical school. There are a few workshops, one in which the dean of the medical schools comes to talk to the MBS class. I've been very satisfied with the program and hear it mirrors medical school classes more than the BU program. We actually compete with the medical school for the med foundations 1 grades. Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions, and I don't think you'll regret choosing the Tufts MBS program

Congrats!! Hopefully, I will be joining you in the Fall! *fingers crossed, says a prayer*

Congrats!! Hopefully, I will be joining you in the Fall! *fingers crossed, says a prayer*

Yeah it was a bit nervewracking because it was just a small envelope in the mail.. no email or large packet or anything. Thought for sure it was a rejection. Good luck!

Yeah it was a bit nervewracking because it was just a small envelope in the mail.. no email or large packet or anything. Thought for sure it was a rejection. Good luck!

Oh wow..way to send you on an emotional rollercoaster haha
And thanks!

So for any current/past students, what's the class schedule like overall? As in, what time do the classes normally meet/how often are exams? I was looking through schedules that I could find online, but all it shows are the MPH courses. Thanks!

Congrats! If it's not too personal, can you let us know about when you applied or how long it took to hear back?

I think I submitted my application sometime in late January, and got my letter in the mail just two days ago. So about 6-7 weeks.

Anyone know how it compares to Georgetown's SMP? I'm waiting to hear back from them.. this Tufts program has a 500 dollar :)eek:) deposit due in two weeks.

Hey all, I got waitlisted for Tuft's MBS; I don't know how this will spell out since they technically don't let you know if you've gotten in until July or so. I've already been accepted at Midwestern (Glendale) University's MSBS program. I have a couple of friends who are in the program who say it's kicking their butt, but in a good way. I wish I didn't have to wait until July to hear whether or not i've gotten in. :(

So for any current/past students, what's the class schedule like overall? As in, what time do the classes normally meet/how often are exams? I was looking through schedules that I could find online, but all it shows are the MPH courses. Thanks!

I'd be interested in hearing about this as well.

Also congrats to all the other admits!

I think I submitted my application sometime in late January, and got my letter in the mail just two days ago. So about 6-7 weeks.

Anyone know how it compares to Georgetown's SMP? I'm waiting to hear back from them.. this Tufts program has a 500 dollar :)eek:) deposit due in two weeks.
Thanks for the info!

I can't honestly say how georgetown's SMP is since I never went there but I CAN share why I chose tufts over georgetown...

I chose tufts for various reasons:
1) housing near Georgetown is EVEN MORE expensive than in Boston
2) Georgetown's class size is almost double Tufts
3) I have heard that while Georgetown has the name/prestige of being the original SMP it has gone down a little in quality. Like they're trying to pack in more and more people to make more money. Tufts is only 5 years old but is a solid program with a good med school name and decent prestige.
4) At tufts your entire first "semester" (half a semester really) is called Med Foundations I and you take the exact classes, professors and exams as the first year med school students. I don't know how georgetown's is.
5) Biggest reason for me: I have heard the advising at Georgetown is absolutely terrible. That the advisors don't get to know you, write generic letters and don't care at all about helping you get into med school. I can honestly tell you at Tufts my advisor has been amazing. There are some that are only okay and some that are great but only 7-8 students are assigned to each advisor and if you really want to make good use of them than they are open and willing to help you.

Oh and if I'm thinking right, the tuition at Georgetown is more as well.

Now this is of course a biased answer since I ended up at tufts and never experienced Georgetown. So take it with a grain of salt.

Btw I was accepted to Tufts in May and was waitlisted to Georgetown until they saw my updated MCAT score whereupon they accepted me but I had decided tufts.

Thought someone answered this but I guess not. Sorry!

It's really hard to try to give you an idea of a typical schedule because the schedule literally changes every day. Not to mention we drop and add classes all through med foundations I and the semester as a whole.

For the first semester exams are integrated so you get one giant exam every 3ish weeks give or take a week or so. It'll usually be on like a friday or monday from 9 am to 12 and if it's on a Friday they'll hold the review on like Tuesday and give you Thursday off to study with class Wednesday on material not on that exam. Classes will vary in times but you usually have each class maybe 4 times a week... And usually from 9ish to 3ish (each class is 50 min).

Spring semester is a little different (and a lot harder to be honest). You don't actually take med school classes with the first years anymore but you still take pathology, anatomy and physiology. Exams are separated which really blows cause you can have an exam every week. (we had one last Thursday, the Thursday before, and this coming Thursday - just not one this week cause it's actually spring break).

I really wish I could give you a set schedule but it really does vary. Maybe this will help:

FALL examples of days:
Easy day: 1 class at maybe 10 AM with the rest of the day to study
Medium day: 2 classes at 9 and 10 AM with rest of day to study or one at 10 AM and one at 1 PM
Long day: 2 classes at 9 and 10 AM AND a class at 1 PM followed by a small group meet at 3 PM OR 2 classes at 10 and 11 AM, hr break for lunch, Tissue and Organ Biology at 1 PM (has an accompany "lab" on the computer so it lasts till 3)

Like I said it can vary lol

Spring can range from having a single class at 10 am to having 3 classes with anatomy "lab" (also on computer) all in one day. It also depends on what elective you take. For example some people took complimentary alternative medicine or public health law and have class on a Monday or Wednesday at 5 pm til 8 pm. I took gait analysis which is on Fridays normally. Also there's MCAT class which is usually on friday or Wednesday night. So if you decide to take the class you have to go to class on Fridays but if you don't you may have Fridays off.

Hope this helps and sorry it's so long but like I said it's really hard to describe our schedule cause it fluctuates so much.

Hey guys,

I'm applying to medical school in the summer and MBS for fall 2012, was wondering if I can just submit my LOR for medical schools to MBS program or if they only accept med school LORs for previous cycles' use?

Hey guys,

I'm applying to medical school in the summer and MBS for fall 2012, was wondering if I can just submit my LOR for medical schools to MBS program or if they only accept med school LORs for previous cycles' use?

Yes you can.

I am just starting my application now...is it too late to apply? have all the spots been filled yet??

Thanks!

I am just starting my application now...is it too late to apply? have all the spots been filled yet??

Thanks!

Um...I think the deadline is in July. I have no idea how many seats are available

on EMBARK online application, it asks us to choose which program we are applying. which one do we choose? i do not see MBS on there.

Does anyone know if you NEED GRE scores if you sent them official MCAT scores? On my status page it says my official GRE scores are still "Missing" while everything else is complete. Wondering if GRE scores are holding me back from being completed...

On a related note, for those who have completed their application, did you get a complete email from the program?

Does anyone know if you NEED GRE scores if you sent them official MCAT scores? On my status page it says my official GRE scores are still "Missing" while everything else is complete. Wondering if GRE scores are holding me back from being completed...

On a related note, for those who have completed their application, did you get a complete email from the program?

I don't think you need a GRE if you've submitted an MCAT score. You could always contact the admissions office directly

got my acceptance letter yesterday!! anyone planning on going to the open house May 31?

Rejected yesterday. Disappointing but good to get some news. Enjoy your studies and maybe Ill see some of you if I decide to attend BU.

Rejected yesterday. Disappointing but good to get some news. Enjoy your studies and maybe Ill see some of you if I decide to attend BU.

Sorry to hear that, good luck with everything else.

Your stats are almost a mirror image of mine. All I can tell you is that I was accepted into the program off the wait list one week before the program started. You do have a much better MCAT score, which is good. I wouldn't count yourself out, but I would consider other SMPs and other options, as a backup. As for the overseas medical school, I hear it can be hard sometimes to come back to the states, but I don't really know much about Flinders. Have you considered going the DO route? And, regarding the personal statement, I can't really remember the prompt, but I think it had something to do with what you want to get out of the MBS program. I wrote more of a graduate school type of personal statement. I didn't get very creative and made it very straightforward, cut and dry.
Got wait listed too, but have an acceptance at Georgetown. Probably going to withdraw from the wait list if they don't get back to me before the end of the month, (have to confirm Gtown).

I am applying to Tufts MBS for fall 2012 and was wondering if I can submit my 3 LORs for dental schools to MBS program or if they only accept new LORs directed towards the Tufts MBS program. I tried calling them but they didn't pick up. Maybe I'll try calling them later.

Applying this late in the cycle, I wonder if there are any seats left...

I am applying to Tufts MBS for fall 2012 and was wondering if I can submit my 3 LORs for dental schools to MBS program or if they only accept new LORs directed towards the Tufts MBS program. I tried calling them but they didn't pick up. Maybe I'll try calling them later.

yup you can!

the office is closed for the day, I just walked by it

So on the Tufts MBS official website it says there is only a fall start and that is in late August...but I couldn't find the duration of the program. Is it a 12 months or a 18 months program? :confused:

So on the Tufts MBS official website it says there is only a fall start and that is in late August...but I couldn't find the duration of the program. Is it a 12 months or a 18 months program? :confused:
1 year