Tufts MBS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soggydog

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread for the Tufts MBS program for 2012-2013, so here we go! Current student, so feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them as best I can...good luck to y'all

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I will be applying in Feb after I get my MCAT scores in. Currently I am siting on a 3.1 cGPA/BCMP GPA, good ECs and a 26 MCAT. Hopefully I will be able to get that MCAT up to around 30 when I retake in Jan.

Do you know how competitive Tufts is for this program? Did you find the program helpful and enjoyable? Did you get into Tufts school of medicine?

I will be applying in Feb after I get my MCAT scores in. Currently I am siting on a 3.1 cGPA/BCMP GPA, good ECs and a 26 MCAT. Hopefully I will be able to get that MCAT up to around 30 when I retake in Jan.

Do you know how competitive Tufts is for this program? Did you find the program helpful and enjoyable? Did you get into Tufts school of medicine?

I'll chime in! I'm a current student here as well. I don't quite know how competitive it is, but I did hear there were several people waitlisted and many got off the waitlist. I applied around early February and heard back around the end of April/May. I think if your MCAT can get bumped up to around a 30 you'll have very little trouble getting in.

The program has been enjoyable for the most part. It's definitely helpful since you take the exact same classes as the med students in the first block (Med Foundations I - total of 6 courses: Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Molecular Biology, Tissue and Organ Biology (Histology) and Immunology). This second part of the semester has been a lot more chill, we only have one class that's the same as the med school and then we're taking a Intro to Clinical Med and Nutrition (a second year course actually!).

It's a bit cliche to say this, but it's true: you really find yourself in the program and I'll tell you this, if you're not prepared to work then don't apply. Be prepared to study every single day from after class (like 3) till Midnight. If you don't then you're doing yourself a disservice. The whole point of this program is to show med schools that you can do BETTER than the average med student. If you don't commit the time and effort to study as hard as you can and blow the tests out of the water then you're wasting your time. That being said, if you put in the time, your effort will show (the classes accurately reflect your effort - for the most part - let's not talk about mole bio >_<)

As for the students, there isn't any competition at all between us. It definitely helps to form a group of friends to study with and everyone usually helps everyone else out in an effort to beat the med students! We're all working towards the same goal and it's really nice to see everyone around you do well.

For comparisons to other programs like this, I think Tufts is one of the best. Along with Georgetown it's definitely in the top 3. I've heard BU is a lot harder and really pushes you toward applying later on. If you're planning to apply the same year then I can comment on that more (I'm currently applying). We have about 20 students applying this year out of the 118 in the class. This program is different from ones like Toledo, Cinci, and EVMS in that it's geared more towards getting you into any med school not just THAT med school. Of course if you do well, you should get an interview here. Supposedly last year's students that did well all got the first interview to tufts and all got in. As for currently applicants of our class, at least 4-5 already have an interview to Tufts (that I know of, I haven't asked the others).

Come visit if anything and you can meet the students and see the area. Anyway, if you have any other questions about anything, curriculum, social life, places to live, things to do, application process, the program itself, facilities, etc. just ask away and we'll try to answer! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying in late January/early February as well! Looking at both BU and Tufts, as most people tend to do. Crossing fingers early application submission will help our chances compared to those that wait till later in the semester.

So Jan/Feb is early? I'm freaking out about not being able to get my apps this month.

How are they about International students? I will be graduating from a top 10 school next May if that makes any difference.

My cGPA is not good at all - 2.8-3 if I do well this and next semester, but of course that is why I am planning on doing a post bacc.

Thanks for the advice.

How are they about International students? I will be graduating from a top 10 school next May if that makes any difference.

My cGPA is not good at all - 2.8-3 if I do well this and next semester, but of course that is why I am planning on doing a post bacc.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm not sure about international status, but looking at only your GPA you might want to consider applying to additional backup SMPs. I had a pretty similar GPA and was accepted off the wait list a week before orientation. Most people who apply to this program are people that are looking for a small boost to their GPA or to supplement a "low" MCAT and tend to already have highly qualified stats. Like I said, I think it depends on your other stats, but I'd look into other possibilities, maybe even looking at biomedical paths at DO schools like PCOM. I was also accepted into their program.

A lot of SMPs do not even begin to review applications until January, so anytime in the fall semester would definitely be considered "early." These programs also see a lot of applicants who did not get admitted into medical school this time around, so they do not send in applications until mid-late spring semester.

A lot of SMPs do not even begin to review applications until January, so anytime in the fall semester would definitely be considered "early." These programs also see a lot of applicants who did not get admitted into medical school this time around, so they do not send in applications until mid-late spring semester.

This. :thumbup:

If your app is in by end of February you're in really good shape. good luck!

This. :thumbup:

If your app is in by end of February you're in really good shape. good luck!

Thanks. It is absolutely ESSENTIAL that I get into an SMP this cycle. If I don't, it is going to screw up the next 6 years of my life. So... kind of nervous.

Thanks. It is absolutely ESSENTIAL that I get into an SMP this cycle. If I don't, it is going to screw up the next 6 years of my life. So... kind of nervous.

Why do you think this? SMPs aren't necessarily the cure all to get into med school...

Why do you think this? SMPs aren't necessarily the cure all to get into med school...

It's not thinking it. Essentially, if I don't get into an SMP, I have to enter a PhD program. I don't like research. Hence, SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Trust me. I'm not in an even slightly normal situation.
I'm remember you now - you are our "15" year old or whatever it is.

Trust me - you need to some maturing before you enter a graduate program; you may be a child genius, but the emphasis on that word is child

You do not have to go into a PhD program - if you want medicine, then a better thing would be spending a year doing teach for america, or volunteering somewhere, or just getting a medical job to earn money.
If mommy and daddy are being mean to you and forcing you to go to school, then I hate it break it to you but patients aren't nice to you all the time either.
Grow some back bone and figure out what YOU want, and what is appropriate for your intended career path

I'm remember you now - you are our "15" year old or whatever it is.

Trust me - you need to some maturing before you enter a graduate program; you may be a child genius, but the emphasis on that word is child

You do not have to go into a PhD program - if you want medicine, then a better thing would be spending a year doing teach for america, or volunteering somewhere, or just getting a medical job to earn money.
If mommy and daddy are being mean to you and forcing you to go to school, then I hate it break it to you but patients aren't nice to you all the time either.
Grow some back bone and figure out what YOU want, and what is appropriate for your intended career path

16, actually. Graduated at 15- have since celebrated a semi-glorious birthday (and half birthday!). I'll admit I can't take your doubts concerning my ability seriously. I heard the same thing when I was about to start high school and later before I entered college. In addition, I would greatly appreciate you not patronizing me. I've worked very hard to get where I am now and I am simply trying to seek out the best available option for my current situation. I believe it's an SMP, but my parents think otherwise. Simple enough. I will likely face some added obstacles with patients who may learn of my age and doubt my abilities because of it. However, I believe that you will face even more obstacles in gaining your patients' trust and respect if you treat them with the same disrespect that you've shown me.

If you're on this thread, I assume you and I have the potential to be classmates come August. I suggest you forgo your preconceived notions concerning teenagers and my ability and I'll do my best to forget your disparaging comments concerning my "mommy and daddy". I have little interest in making enemies before my application is submitted. Good luck with any and all programs you choose to apply to!

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see you're a med student. Forget that bit about being classmates... and good luck with residency applications! :laugh:

Last edited:
BrandNewDay - the fact you think that a PhD is an appropriate option shows how much you still have to learn. You think you know it all - you don't. Until you get to med school, you don't appreciate truly how the process works and why the people here are here.Good luck with whatever it is you do, cos no-one can advise you otherwise.

To everyone else in this thread - sorry for taking it off course for a little bit; I thought it was pertinent to take BrandNewDay with a pinch of salt and to point out his/her approach/view on this process is unique to them

Last edited by a moderator:
BrandNewDay - the fact you think that a PhD is an appropriate option shows how much you still have to learn. You think you know it all - you don't. Until you get to med school, you don't appreciate truly how the process works and why the people here are here.Good luck with whatever it is you do, cos no-one can advise you otherwise.

To everyone else in this thread - sorry for taking it off course for a little bit; I thought it was pertinent to take BrandNewDay with a pinch of salt and to point out his/her approach/view on this process is unique to them

I don't believe a PhD is an even slightly appropriate option. Hence why I'm doing my best to avoid it. I would argue that none of the non-medical students don't appreciate the things that you mentioned. I do not claim to do so either. Every applicant is theoretically unique, so I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I am well aware that my case is unlikely to ever provide guidance for someone in a similar situation. At this point, I find it a little ironic that you're saying that nobody can advise me. I learned of SMPs from SDN and am pursuing them as what is my next best option for my unique circumstances. That doesn't somehow make me hardheaded and stubborn (on this issue). It just means I'm trying to do the best I can as I pursue the career I want. THAT is not unique to me.

Please find another outlet to figure out your problems BrandNewDay. This is a forum about the Tufts MBS program, not the BrandNewDay program. Personal messages are an option of this forum for a reason

Please find another outlet to figure out your problems BrandNewDay. This is a forum about the Tufts MBS program, not the BrandNewDay program. Personal messages are an option of this forum for a reason

Yes, my original question was clearly an attempt to derail the thread. I can see how asking what is qualified as an "early" application to an SMP has no relevance to the thread whatsoever. :eyebrow:
I assure you- I had no interest in derailing the thread, which is why I initially responded to questions on my personal situation as concisely as possible so as to discourage further conversation. That failed.

One thing I am somewhat curious about- did you pre-study for the SMP? Did you wish you had? And, being that I'm neurotic, what would you recommend to somebody who would pre-study anyways? :D

I don't really think you can pre-study. We are given specific books they call syllabi that are written by the professors on the topics they plan to teach. Even with those you would more need the slides. I guess if you really wanted to pre-study you could review some biochem and re-read your undergrad bio book or something, but I recommend you don't waste your time with that

hey all, i just applied to tufts mbs. how competitive are admissions into this program?

my cgpa is 2.77 and sci is 2.57
good upward trend. messed up first 3 semesters (3 F's in pre-reqs), but picked myself up till grad.
DAT is 21AA 21TS 22PAT

average EC's, but have a lot of volunteering hours, 600+

actually applied to d-schools this cycle, but obviously not getting in

tell it to me straight, what do you guys think?

also applied to tulane cmb, umdnj, and nova. are there any other programs that you guys think i should apply to? post-bacc's would be useless to me b/c i majored in bio...

Are you trying to get into dental school? To be honest, this isn't really the type of program geared towards dental school, it's mainly for people trying to get into medical school...

Also, for brand new day.. i honestly don't know if SMP is the right path for you. It's for people who: A) are borderline in their apps and want to show they can do well in med school/need a stats boost or B) have a lower than desired GPA and are looking to show med schools that they need not worry..

If you're just looking for something to do, I'd honestly do something like teach for america or get a job and make some money to show your maturity.

Are you trying to get into dental school? To be honest, this isn't really the type of program geared towards dental school, it's mainly for people trying to get into medical school...

Also, for brand new day.. i honestly don't know if SMP is the right path for you. It's for people who: A) are borderline in their apps and want to show they can do well in med school/need a stats boost or B) have a lower than desired GPA and are looking to show med schools that they need not worry..

If you're just looking for something to do, I'd honestly do something like teach for america or get a job and make some money to show your maturity.

My GPA is a little low and I am a borderline applicant. I think an SMP is a good choice for me.

My GPA is a little low and I am a borderline applicant. I think an SMP is a good choice for me.

I'm gonna be honest, I looked at your past threads and I agree with others, the reason you're not getting interviews is because you're too young.

A HUGE factor in getting into med school is maturity and no matter what you say, write or do you will still appear as a 16 year old on paper to these med schools and they would much rather take a 24 year old with the same stats because they simply have more life experiences and to be honest, more maturity.

An SMP will NOT help that and you'll still get rejected at age 17 even if you do EXTREMELY well in SMPs.

My advice is to enjoy yourself. Go out and live your life and make some memorable experiences. You have plenty of time to work yourself to death, enjoy these younger years while you still have them. And when you're 22, study your butt off for the MCAT, kill it, and I guarantee you'll get into a med school. Your GPA is fine and with more experiences, age and maturity and a better MCAT score, you really don't need an SMP. But that's just my 2 cents. If an SMP is what you want to do, go for it. But I think everyone on this thread is pointing out a major red flag in your app that only time can fix.

"Welcome! The Tufts MBS program was designed to help pre-medical and pre-dental candidates improve their credentials for applying to medical and dental school programs."

Touchè,

Well I'll tell you this much, this program is definitely geared towards a medical school acceptance. I only know one guy going dental. He did well in the program and actually got into UCSF dental. But I have a feeling he didn't even need the program to get in.

I'm sure some of the courses we take are similar to the dental school courses, but they aren't the exact same. They mirror the med school exactly including the tests even. I just feel like there may be better programs to apply to that focus on dental students. For the amount of money you're going to pay you should make sure the program is more of a dental type program.

If anything, shoot an email to the MBS office. I have a feeling they won't be very helpful cause they barely help those of us applying to med school currently. I'm not trying to turn you away or anything, I just don't want you to come here with expectations of getting help to get into dental school. Our orientation and workshops that the program puts on solely talks about med school. I have heard them mention dental school once and I think my classmates would back me up on that. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

hey, i'm in the program right now..from what they said at the beginning during orientation, you should aim for at least a 3.5

Hey everyone! I'm applying to this program among other SMPs. Hopefully all my apps will be done by the time my MCAT scores are released at the end of February (taking MCAT January 28).

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Chemistry
cGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 3.10
MCAT: expected 32+
-My issue: awful 1st semester (2.4) steady climb ever since! Never been below a 3.0 since, thank god!
ECs: Lots of shadowing, work in research lab (lab assistant), EMT-B, tutoring, hospital volunteer, christian clinic triage volunteer, student advisory committee for a gen-ed course, pretty solid LORs

Anyone else with similar stats? This is one of my top programs for sure! I'm thinking that it will be one of my "reach" schools in terms of SMPs that I can get in to... *fingers crossed*

Hey everyone,

I'll be applying to this program as well. Just fishing up my application now.

A couple of questions for those currently enrolled: How many students are accepted into the program, and do you know what the acceptance rate looks like?

I'm applying with:

3.0 GPA from one of the Ivies
31P MCAT (10/10/11)
Neuroscience major
Nearly flawless past couple of semesters with explanations for earlier (major family issues)
Excellent LOR
Very involved on campus/strong EC, though no experience with research/shadowing

Any thoughts on chances?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else applying!

I have very similar stats.
BSc in Physiology, minor economics
3.0 CGPA, 2.9 BCPM, (3.6 in econ, 3.4 in physiology)
32Q (10,10,12)
-Reason for pathetic gpa, First semester was an awful 1.53, followed by a 2.7, after which I never went below a 3.0.
-Good LOR's, Substantial clinical exposure (volunteered in clinics, scrubbed in to see surgery, etc etc), research in cancer research lab (though my name got chucked off the paper due to the post doc having issues:mad:).

I'd also like to know about my chances? My other question is I already have gained admission into Flinders University in Aus (Deferred it due to personal reasons). Is it worth not going there and trying an SMP?

Also does anybody know anything about the statement? Is it like a personal statement telling your story etc (like the ones you write for undergrad) or a very specific one like you write for research programs?

Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into the program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 20 MCAT? (Took the MCAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for this program before then) Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into the program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 20 MCAT? (Took the MCAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for this program before then) Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!
I think that you might want to work on your MCAT score. In general, I think most people accepted to this program had above a 3.3gpa in undergrad and above a 30 on their MCAT. I am probably an exception with a 3.0cgpa, 2.9sgpa, and a 27 MCAT, so it is possible to get in with a lower gpa and MCAT than average. I'd also look into biomedical programs at DO schools such as PCOM. Good luck

Hey everyone! I'm applying to this program among other SMPs. Hopefully all my apps will be done by the time my MCAT scores are released at the end of February (taking MCAT January 28).

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Chemistry
cGPA: 3.15
sGPA: 3.10
MCAT: expected 32+
-My issue: awful 1st semester (2.4) steady climb ever since! Never been below a 3.0 since, thank god!
ECs: Lots of shadowing, work in research lab (lab assistant), EMT-B, tutoring, hospital volunteer, christian clinic triage volunteer, student advisory committee for a gen-ed course, pretty solid LORs

Anyone else with similar stats? This is one of my top programs for sure! I'm thinking that it will be one of my "reach" schools in terms of SMPs that I can get in to... *fingers crossed*
I'd say you have a pretty decent shot if you can obtain that expected 32+ on the MCAT

Hey everyone,

I'll be applying to this program as well. Just fishing up my application now.

A couple of questions for those currently enrolled: How many students are accepted into the program, and do you know what the acceptance rate looks like?

I'm applying with:

3.0 GPA from one of the Ivies
31P MCAT (10/10/11)
Neuroscience major
Nearly flawless past couple of semesters with explanations for earlier (major family issues)
Excellent LOR
Very involved on campus/strong EC, though no experience with research/shadowing

Any thoughts on chances?

Thanks, and good luck to everyone else applying!
I'd say you have a decent shot at the program. As I stated previously, I was accepted with a 3.0cgpa and a 27 MCAT, but I have had a year of clinical exposure as a phlebotomist and finished an MPH (3.9gpa). All I can tell you is that it is very competitive and most people applying to this program already have stats good enough to get into med school. They just wanted to hone their skills on their gap year.

I have very similar stats.
BSc in Physiology, minor economics
3.0 CGPA, 2.9 BCPM, (3.6 in econ, 3.4 in physiology)
32Q (10,10,12)
-Reason for pathetic gpa, First semester was an awful 1.53, followed by a 2.7, after which I never went below a 3.0.
-Good LOR's, Substantial clinical exposure (volunteered in clinics, scrubbed in to see surgery, etc etc), research in cancer research lab (though my name got chucked off the paper due to the post doc having issues:mad:).

I'd also like to know about my chances? My other question is I already have gained admission into Flinders University in Aus (Deferred it due to personal reasons). Is it worth not going there and trying an SMP?

Also does anybody know anything about the statement? Is it like a personal statement telling your story etc (like the ones you write for undergrad) or a very specific one like you write for research programs?
Your stats are almost a mirror image of mine. All I can tell you is that I was accepted into the program off the wait list one week before the program started. You do have a much better MCAT score, which is good. I wouldn't count yourself out, but I would consider other SMPs and other options, as a backup. As for the overseas medical school, I hear it can be hard sometimes to come back to the states, but I don't really know much about Flinders. Have you considered going the DO route? And, regarding the personal statement, I can't really remember the prompt, but I think it had something to do with what you want to get out of the MBS program. I wrote more of a graduate school type of personal statement. I didn't get very creative and made it very straightforward, cut and dry.

Don't ever go abroad - and if you do, go to one of the Carib ones; they at least have some guaranteed residency seats in the US

Just a quick answer to a previous question:

The program enrolls about 120 students (not sure how many more are accepted) out of about 500-600 who apply. So it's still a little tough to get in, but nothing like med school, haha

and as for everyone asking about their chances, you all seem to be perfect candidates for the program. They are looking for people with GPAs around a 3.0 but with MCATs above a 30. The only person I would be concerned about is medadvicewanted. You need to improve that MCAT score first or no one will look at you. Good luck everyone

Has anyone found out whether they have been accepted or not yet?

I'm not a regular here, but I got my acceptance today (actually came here to see if anyone else did too). GPA ~3.0, MCAT >35, complete about a week ago. Tufts was my first choice so I am definitely going.

Congrats to both of you! If you have any questions at all, classes, books, professors, living, stuff to do just post on here!

Did you guys find out from the website, or by calling? I submitted my app a while back but still haven't heard anything yet.

Did you guys find out from the website, or by calling? I submitted my app a while back but still haven't heard anything yet.

I just waited until I saw online that the decision was available.

Thanks!

Hi! Just to give another suggestion that no one else has mentioned yet for you...have you thought about applying for the program with a GRE? I know the format has changed since I took it last year, but that might still make a little bit more sense if you feel like you might need more time to study for you MCAT. The last thing you want to do is to rush into another MCAT and not give yourself the time you need. Since you've already taken the MCAT once, I think you wanna make sure that you're not setting yourself to have to retake it a 3rd time because even though a high 20 or even 30 might get you into this SMP, it might not do for med school. I applied to the program with a GRE and it was fine--and it only took me about 3 weeks to study for it and do well. Again, I don't know too much about the new GRE format, but I would still guess it's a heck of a lot easier to study for than the MCAT. Just a thought!

On another note: I know a lot of people keep asking about the application timeline and I know that I applied in February--but I also know of people that applied in May and got in just fine. So while it's obviously a little more stressful on you to apply later...if you have a good application you still won't have much trouble getting in if you need an extra month to get things together. And you also have to remember since a lot of people are applying to this as just one of their choices, the chances of all the people who get in in February deciding to attend are low because of a lot of reasons (money, diff program choices,decide against med school altogether...etc)...so I wouldn't let the 118 spots to 600 apps thing stress you out too much because the odds are prolly a bit higher than that. If you feel like your application will be better in March or even early April than February, I'd practice patience. Lol of course try not to procastinate lol...but try make sure you're not rushing anything --especially your MCATS.

Just got my acceptance as well! I'll be seeing you all next year

when it asks us to choose a program for study, which one do we choose?

accepted too! congrats to everyone!

just had a quick question: I recently heard that MBS students don't actually take "live" classes; MBS students watch video-taped lectures instead of attending actual lectures. Is there any truth to this? Thanks!

accepted too! congrats to everyone!

just had a quick question: I recently heard that MBS students don't actually take "live" classes; MBS students watch video-taped lectures instead of attending actual lectures. Is there any truth to this? Thanks!

It's a little of both actually. It really depends on the professor. Some don't mind teaching twice while others prefer to just teach the med school. For example, during med foundations I, cell bio, tissue and organ bio, biochem and mole bio are all taught in person by the professor. Whereas genetics and immunology are mainly live-streamed (a couple lectures were in person). There is a professor present in the room however to answer any questions we have afterward and in immunology the professor himself would walk down the street after lecture to answer any questions. NONE of the lectures are "video-taped" and played back at a later time (unless the live stream randomly messes up - happened like twice).

When I first experienced the live-stream I was a little upset to see that Tufts was doing it. But in the end it's not really that big of a deal. It's not like Drexel where every single lecture is video taped and just a recording. Though all lectures are recorded so you can go back and watch them again. I'd say 85% of our classes were live taught and 15% were live streamed.

Hi,

I was hoping someone in the program or has been through the program could answer this question. I was wondering if the tufts mbs program provides you with a committee letter rather than seeking an undergrad pre-med committee letter? Thanks

I'm pretty sure they do, but don't quote me by it. I'm one of the special cases that applied while in the program so I won't need a committee letter by tufts. But I think I remember them saying that they will provide one. Maybe another person in our program can answer definitively?

You can always email and ask them if anything. As they say, hear it from the horse's mouth.

Hi,

I was hoping someone in the program or has been through the program could answer this question. I was wondering if the tufts mbs program provides you with a committee letter rather than seeking an undergrad pre-med committee letter? Thanks
Yes they do. You have the choice between going back to your undergrad or having Tufts do it. I know a lot of people who chose to go back to their undergrads cuz they're more comfortable with their pre-health committees there, but it's certainly not required because the program director will write one for anyone who needs it.