Tufts MBS 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So obviously, the objective of this program isn't to get people into Tufts Med school specifically, but rather med school in general. But does anyone have any idea of how many people from this program actually matriculate into the Tufts medschool? Trying to decide between Tufts and BU, and a better linkage would be awesome.

There is no linkage from the MBS program to Tufts, but I think around 15 people from the MBS program (last year and this year) have gotten into the medical school (*NOT AN OFFICIAL NUMBER). I know of 4 or 5 from the current class that have already gotten accepted, and a few others who were offered interviews. I don't know why you would even need to decide between Tufts and BU. I would have to say that currently Tufts is a better program. BU is just growing too fast and getting too greedy and making their classes too large. Also, I think you take more pure medical school classes at Tufts than at BU. At Tufts you actually take the exact courses and exams as the medical school students for the first portion of the program. Then, you take the nutrition class that med students take in their second year and take a more in depth physiology than the first year medical students. The class sizes are, I think, half of BU class size, and there are fewer students per advisor at Tufts. Oh, and I don't think BU has an official linkage either. If you want official linkage you should go elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no linkage from the MBS program to Tufts, but I think around 15 people from the MBS program (last year and this year) have gotten into the medical school (*NOT AN OFFICIAL NUMBER). I know of 4 or 5 from the current class that have already gotten accepted, and a few others who were offered interviews. I don't know why you would even need to decide between Tufts and BU. I would have to say that currently Tufts is a better program. BU is just growing too fast and getting too greedy and making their classes too large. Also, I think you take more pure medical school classes at Tufts than at BU. At Tufts you actually take the exact courses and exams as the medical school students for the first portion of the program. Then, you take the nutrition class that med students take in their second year and take a more in depth physiology than the first year medical students. The class sizes are, I think, half of BU class size, and there are fewer students per advisor at Tufts. Oh, and I don't think BU has an official linkage either. If you want official linkage you should go elsewhere.

Right, obviously neither of these two programs is based on linkage to their own school. But a lot of the people deciding between these two (the ones i've talked to) have gone with BU because its supposedly a better school (rankings, whatever), and if you got in there it would look better. However, if you have a significantly better chance of getting into Tufts from the MBS program, then the slight difference in rank is irrelevant.

Why do you have such strong opinions about BU? Whats your basis for all of this?

Right, obviously neither of these two programs is based on linkage to their own school. But a lot of the people deciding between these two (the ones i've talked to) have gone with BU because its supposedly a better school (rankings, whatever), and if you got in there it would look better. However, if you have a significantly better chance of getting into Tufts from the MBS program, then the slight difference in rank is irrelevant.

Why do you have such strong opinions about BU? Whats your basis for all of this?

I feel as though I have answered this question in the previous post. Please re-read

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to second soggydog. Tufts vs BU isn't even a choice in mind. I had to make the same decision when I was applying to smp's and it didn't take long for me to choose tufts. Tufts has a much more structured curriculum and as it was pointed out earlier it's the identical classes to the medical students. Our exams are also in the same format as the Med exams which is not the case at bu which I know from friends who are in that program. Finally, the fact that BU ranks higher as a medical school doesn't really mean much because the rank of the smp program is not the same as the med school rank. Literally the only advantage of bu is that it is older, but I don't believe that really counts as an advantage. Anyway, obviously no one can force you to make a decision but I think its an easy choice!!

It depends on what you're looking for. BU is a two year program geared more towards having you apply after your first year. If you want two years of classes then look to BU. I was looking for a one year program because I was applying in the same year. So BU was automatically taken off my list.

As for rankings, aside from the fact that rankings don't really matter too much, BU is ranked by US news as 31st in primary care and in research, tufts is 44 in research and 38 in primary care. It's not that big of a difference. And besides, who would it look better to when you go to BU over Tufts? Residencies? I'm pretty sure that residency programs couldn't care less what school you went to if you have a really high step 1 score and great experiences - which you can get at either school.

Or do you mean going to BU's SMP looks better to medical school admissions committees than going to Tufts SMP? Cause if you're talking about the rankings of each school affecting the SMP then that's completely irrelevant because no one is going to say "I'll take this kid because he did an SMP at BU and not tufts". When it comes to SMPs, everyone for the most part put tufts, BU and georgetown on a fairly even level - at the top.

Also, the fact that BU is a better known program probably hurts your linkage as a BU SMP student. Think about it. More student apply to BU than to Tufts so the competition to get into BU is harder.

If you really want to go to BU, then don't come to Tufts' SMP because I heard BU isn't too kind to Tufts' SMP students, but if you don't really care what med school you want to go to (which I think is what most people in our position feel) then just pick the one you feel more comfortable at. They're both good programs.

And if you're really looking for linkage, look for the schools that offer guaranteed linkage a la toledo and temple's SMPs.

Besides, why would you want a "Masters of Arts in Medical Sciences" when you can have a straight up Masters in Biomedical Sciences!? haha

Last edited:
hi,

anyone know if there is an option to deter for a year? i have emailed tufts mbs about it but haven't gotten a response yet...
thanks!

I swear I used to know this, but after applying to all of these SMPs my brain is sufficiently confused on stats/info about each program. Does Tufts have a guarantee interview with a certain GPA?

I swear I used to know this, but after applying to all of these SMPs my brain is sufficiently confused on stats/info about each program. Does Tufts have a guarantee interview with a certain GPA?

top 25%, but apparently more get interviews.

Before you post questions like this on the forum, please google your question.

Second hit upon googling "Tufts MBS Guaranteed Interview":

Does participation in the program guarantee me an interview at Tufts University School of Medicine?
Students in the top 25% of the MBS class will be granted automatic interviews. However, the TUSM Admissions Committee evaluates all MBS students carefully and provides interviews accordingly.

I've heard it's actually closer to 50%

I just declined my offer because my advisor told me the cost of the program didn't match the benefit in my particular case. Hopefully that helps someone else.

For those of you who got in . I had a question regarding the application and was hoping you could help me. The application asks for a personal statement that should explain how obtaining an MS will further the applicant's career goals - I was going to use my medical school personal statement which explains why I want to be a doctor. Should I write one which goes into the details of the program ?

For those of you who got in . I had a question regarding the application and was hoping you could help me. The application asks for a personal statement that should explain how obtaining an MS will further the applicant’s career goals - I was going to use my medical school personal statement which explains why I want to be a doctor. Should I write one which goes into the details of the program ?

I wrote a new one and then attached my amcas statement as well

Thanks JSReed
Just to clarify you wrote a double spaced two page statement and attached a third one?
It seems odd that they dont ask you why you want to be a doctor but instead why you want to attend the MBS - does anyone have any other ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks JSReed
Just to clarify you wrote a double spaced two page statement and attached a third one?
It seems odd that they dont ask you why you want to be a doctor but instead why you want to attend the MBS - does anyone have any other ideas?
I took my personal statement and added a paragraph about how the program would help me become a doctor. That's probably me being lazy though.

Thanks guys - last question - how long were your personal statements? Mine is coming out to a little less than three pages double spaced. I know the website says two pages but I feel like I may lose a lot of why I want to be a doctor if I cut it any further.

Anyone accepted to Tufts also accepted to Cinci? I really want to go to Tufts but the Cinci linkage is very convincing and appealing. Thoughts?

Anyone accepted to Tufts also accepted to Cinci? I really want to go to Tufts but the Cinci linkage is very convincing and appealing. Thoughts?
I bet the cost of living in cincinnati is much cheaper. Aren't the class sizes smaller as well?

Thanks guys - last question - how long were your personal statements? Mine is coming out to a little less than three pages double spaced. I know the website says two pages but I feel like I may lose a lot of why I want to be a doctor if I cut it any further.

i would say to follow the instructions

I bet the cost of living in cincinnati is much cheaper. Aren't the class sizes smaller as well?

The cost of living is much cheaper in Cincinnati and yes the class size is about 32 there vs. about 120 at Tufts.. not sure on the 120 number but I think it is in the ballpark. I'm really torn. I also got into BU so I just don't know what to do.

I took my personal statement and added a paragraph about how the program would help me become a doctor. That's probably me being lazy though.

That is practically what I did plus some editing to make it flow better than just a random additional paragraph.

For those of you who are committed to going and are in need of housing.

2bdrm/1bath - $1400

On Tyler and Harvard...a 30 step walk from campus, good when winter comes. One person starts in Aug 1, the other would start in Sept 1 (I would be living there for one month until my other lease starts). Its in Chinatown so manage your expectations. But for $700 a room its a steal. It's also close enough where you can 90% of the time get Tufts wifi so theres another $50/month in savings. My guess is its about 800 square feet. It's been passed down from MBS'ers so it is quite a bargain. I'll check back here in a few days so PM me your contact info. Uploaded pics for reference.

reapartmentbytuftsmedschool.zip - 9.9 Mb
reapartmentbytuftsmedschool2.zip - 3.3 Mb

hello all,

my apologies in advance if this question is redundant but I could really use some of your advice here.

I just got a letter saying I got into the MBS program at Tufts and the deposit deadline is in 2 weeks and I am not sure if Masters program is the right thing for me or not.

My situation:
Graduated in 2011 with BS in biology...
GPA: Science 3.59
GPA: Overall: 3.64
DAT scores: AA: 17 ~ TS: 17 ~ PAT: 18 (after taking it for three times...the third attempt is my highest grades as well)

I have had 2 interviews and have been wait-listed at BOTH dental schools and not sure what's gonna happen until July (maybe even sooner).

I understand that usually masters programs are great for individuals who need to raise their GPA but my case is different. I have a competitive GPA but not so good DAT scores.

Should I pay the deposit and "buy" some time and keep my options open? or masters is not the best thing for me.

Again, sorry if these sort of questions have been raised 849234 times before.

cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.1
MCAT: 30Q

submitted end of April, got acceptance letter yesterday, so it took ~3weeks. good luck everyone!

Hey guys,

So I was planning on submitting my application tonight but ran into a problem. The online application says the application is not complete until letters of recommendation have been received. The pre-health office at my school is sending in a LOR packet by mail.
Did anyone else just leave the letter of recommendation part blank and then have their's mailed?

Hey guys,

So I was planning on submitting my application tonight but ran into a problem. The online application says the application is not complete until letters of recommendation have been received. The pre-health office at my school is sending in a LOR packet by mail.
Did anyone else just leave the letter of recommendation part blank and then have their's mailed?

you need to fill it in and put info for your committee packet

For those of you who are committed to going and are in need of housing.

2bdrm/1bath - $1400

On Tyler and Harvard...a 30 step walk from campus, good when winter comes. One person starts in Aug 1, the other would start in Sept 1 (I would be living there for one month until my other lease starts). Its in Chinatown so manage your expectations. But for $700 a room its a steal. It's also close enough where you can 90% of the time get Tufts wifi so theres another $50/month in savings. My guess is its about 800 square feet. It's been passed down from MBS'ers so it is quite a bargain. I'll check back here in a few days so PM me your contact info. Uploaded pics for reference.

reapartmentbytuftsmedschool.zip - 9.9 Mb
reapartmentbytuftsmedschool2.zip - 3.3 Mb

lets try this again, sorry about that

http://imgur.com/a/o6TBw

Hey everyone,

I am a current Tufts MBS student (about to take the final anatomy + physiology test...) and I will have a room open in a 3 BR apartment.

The room will likely be available on June 15th (one of my other roommates, a Tufts med student, is moving out so we have to sublet for 1.5 months) and then we will re-sign the one year lease on August 1st.

Great location in Jamaica Plain. Short walk to the Stony Brook T Station on the orange line which takes you directly to school (only a 15-20 minute commute!). 2 Floor apartment with washer + dryer, and dishwasher. Plenty of parking and no need to get a permit! Short walk to grocery stores (stop and shop as well as a new whole foods) and restaurants etc.

Cost is $635 a month + utilities (which run about $80-100/month)

Its me and a 2nd Year male Northeastern Law Student... we both are extremely laid back and love sports.

Let me know if anyone is interested! And I would be happy to provide free test answers to my future roommate (haha jk... but I seriously will...)

Also if anyone has any questions about the program hit me up on facebook or email me at [email protected]

-Craig

hello all,

my apologies in advance if this question is redundant but I could really use some of your advice here.

I just got a letter saying I got into the MBS program at Tufts and the deposit deadline is in 2 weeks and I am not sure if Masters program is the right thing for me or not.

My situation:
Graduated in 2011 with BS in biology...
GPA: Science 3.59
GPA: Overall: 3.64
DAT scores: AA: 17 ~ TS: 17 ~ PAT: 18 (after taking it for three times...the third attempt is my highest grades as well)

I have had 2 interviews and have been wait-listed at BOTH dental schools and not sure what's gonna happen until July (maybe even sooner).

I understand that usually masters programs are great for individuals who need to raise their GPA but my case is different. I have a competitive GPA but not so good DAT scores.

Should I pay the deposit and "buy" some time and keep my options open? or masters is not the best thing for me.

Again, sorry if these sort of questions have been raised 849234 times before.

I don't know much about competitive DAT scores, but if you just need a boost on those scores I'd save the money and take the test again. I think the only thing that might help by coming to this program is that you might get an interview to Tufts, but I don't think that's worth over $35k. Also, this "Masters" isn't very useful in a real-life way, so again, I'd just save the money

lets try this again, sorry about that

http://imgur.com/a/o6TBw

Hello there,

I am from Cushing, Oklahoma and will be moving there in a few months. Do you mind if you take a video of the place? I'm not sure if I will be able to come to Boston and check it out in person. I'm trying to get my housing lined up as soon as possible as I have a job lined up to start soon.

Thanks!

did anyone start a facebook group yet for this fall's class?

did anyone start a facebook group yet for this fall's class?

Doesn't look like there is one - I only see the one from last year. Anyone want to create one?

---

EDIT: just tried creating one but for some reason stupid FB wouldn't let me create one...

Last edited:
How long did it take for you to get your acceptance?

About 3 weeks

-----------------------

Anyone finding anything for housing? My search has been lame so far (I'm really hoping I can just get on-campus but I doubt I'll get a spot).

Just got accepted to Tufts today. Waiting to here back from Georgetown and the Loyola MS Physiology programs. Has a Facebook group been created for this year's class yet?

Got my acceptance letter today. How does Tufts stack against Drexel?

Also, what's the housing situation like? Is it on-campus or off? How do students usually get their meals? I ask because I cook quite a bit.

What about public transportation?

Also, what's the housing situation like? Is it on-campus or off? How do students usually get their meals? I ask because I cook quite a bit.

I think the Tufts SMP is generally much more highly regarded than Drexel's. Housing is mostly off campus. I'm guessing the food situation probably varies person to person (but I'm not starting the program until the fall, so that's just a guess).

Public transportation in Boston is overall pretty good. You can pretty much get anywhere in the city by subway or bus and Tufts students can get discounted subway/bus/train passes.

Hope that helps!

So, from what I know, Drexel has a good linkage with their medical school. I do hear that most to all of their classes are live-cast, so there are no specific professors for the program. I have also met many former Drexel students that were not overly satisfied by the program. I'm not sure how the prices stack up, but I'd say Tufts would be a better choice. Also, housing is mainly off campus. There are a few on-campus dorms, but they are hard to get since most are reserved for medical and dental students. If you stay on campus a lot you could eat in Chinatown, where you can get a meal for anywhere between $2 - $10 depending on how much you eat. I say that majority of people cook their own meals and there are grocery stores in Chinatown as well as throughout Boston for you to buy groceries. I also also highly recommend finding a place to live as soon as possible because it's going to get really hard to find a place starting in a few weeks.

has anybody submitted the deposit and housing contract for posner hall? I submitted both a while ago through mail but received no confirmation and was wondering if that was the case for you guys also? I know its not likely that ill get it but i figured it was worth a shot. Anybody else have updates on housing?

has anybody submitted the deposit and housing contract for posner hall? I submitted both a while ago through mail but received no confirmation and was wondering if that was the case for you guys also? I know its not likely that ill get it but i figured it was worth a shot. Anybody else have updates on housing?

I was told that I would know by July if I got a spot or put on the reserve list...makes housing a bit difficult.

I am going to be living in the South End. Short walk to class but tough to find an apartment below $1,000/month.

Hey all, I am a current MBS student (just finished!) and I know a bunch of you had some questions, so here you go!

If you asked me about the apartment sorry I haven't gotten back to you yet and I will shortly!!

About me: Graduated college in 2009 with a 3.5 GPA, 31 MCAT score, lots of extracurricular/research/clinical/etc experience

1. Did you apply the summer before starting (or know of people who did) and then you just send updates on your progress to the schools you apply to?

They will tell you that few people actually apply while in the program and that they recommend holding off on applying until AFTER you complete the program... I would say maybe about 20 of us actually applied to med schools while in the program and of the 20 at least 5 people that I know of got in BEFORE finishing the program. So if you already have strong credentials to get into medical school but just needed that "extra kick" to get in, I would say go ahead and apply this cycle.

If you do apply this cycle, we were recommended to update the schools at the end of the first "semester" (so in december) when we had our grades in. The whole first semester (more or less) are the EXACT SAME CLASSES THE MEDICAL SCHOOL STUDENTS TAKE WITH THE EXACT SAME TESTS. So when Tufts updates the medical schools they can report your ranking/percentile if you were in the medical school

2. Do you think you could find exact numbers of these people who apply the summer before and get in--i'd rather not have another year off after the program.

Out of about 110 students, I would guess about 20-25 applied while in the MBS program and I know AT LEAST 5 got in and a handful got wait listed. Justin, along with 2 others, were accepted into Tufts and at least 2 were waitlisted there.

3. Do you have a better chance of getting into tufts med school (not just interviewing)??

Quite a few people from past MBS programs also got interviewed/accepted into Tufts though I dont know the numbers.

4. Do you take all classes with med school students or just first semester?

We dont actually take them WITH the medical students, we just have the same professors give the same lectures. Because the Med School is around 200 students and we are around 110, we take them in separate rooms and separate times. Some classes are "televised" to us; in other words its just a live video recording of the lecture the med students are getting.

5. Are you graded against their curve or are you given a separate curve?

Keep in mind this programs main benefit is to BOOST YOUR GPA, so we get a pretty nice curve. The medical students have a pass/fail line of around 65 (seriously... all they have to do is get above a 65% to pass... and there are no rankings for the med students). So what they do for us (since we need letter grades) is make that pass fail line (usually 65%) equivalent to a 3.0 B-. Then there are 6 steps from 65 to 100 (B-/B/B+/etc). So an A+ is about 94-100, an A from 88 - 94, A- from 83-88 etc.

Although this is a generalization, it pretty much stayed that way second semester when our classes deviated from the medical school classes. In the second semester, your grade is based off of the averages for the MBS class. So anything 1 standard deviation above the average is an A-, 1 below is B+ etc.

Averages on pretty much all tests for us ran in the low to mid 80's. All tests are multiple choice except for molecular bio which is a bunch of short answers (and we all hated it... poorly taught).

6. How many people are in the program each year? And everyone helps each other?

110 or so in this years MBS. Because we dont really compete against each other (especially in the first semester) people help each other often, such as sending mass messages with notes/slideshows/study guides

7. Profs are approachable all fine too?

Profs seem very approachable, though I rarely did. Of course you will have those few brown nosers who ask questions non-stop in class and will visit the profs everyday...

8. Also do you know anything about the MPH or MBA program that you can complete in the 2nd year? Do many students pursue that/is it difficult to do in a year? I was considering maybe doing an MBA for the 2nd year while applying after the first year if I didn't apply this summer, but wasn't sure if many did it or was something encouraged.

Not too sure about MPH or MBA, though they do send us lots of info on it and have workshops. I think its a great idea if you concerned about not getting into medical school even with this program under your belt! Or if you wanted to do a combined MPH/MD program anyways this is perfect!

9. If you pursue the 2nd degree, you can still finish the requirements for the MBS program in time in the summer before starting the 2nd degree?

Because Tufts no longer allows you to get a "certificate" in MBS, you MUST do a research project. The research project can be lab based (which takes over a year... so not what you would want to do) or a literature/library based which you can easily complete by August before matriculation into a medical school or the 2nd year of the MPH program.

10. Also when does the program actually end (with the thesis that you need to do)--I don't want it to go much into the summer if I get into a med school that could start earlier.

I am lazy but I will have no problem finishing it by August (though I havent been accepted to medical school and am re applying this cycle). If you dont finish it by August or are doing a lab based, the "continuation" fee is $1500 a semester.

11. Also do you know how many people from the program get interviewed and get into Tufts Med School?

See earlier questions

12. Does it really cost $54000 for the program!??

Yeah, I think it was under 40 G's for us this year. Really expensive, but same price for other similar programs.

13. What made YOU choose this program (were you considering others)?

I had applied to medical schools and didnt get in, so I opted to do this program. My main motivation was that I was two years out from college and wanted to get back into an academic environment and I felt like I needed the extra kick on my application to med school to get me in. Also, I realized that this program can be good even if I dont ever get into medical school, or if I decide not to spend another 4 years of my life in med school (and being broke for the next 10 years or whatever hahaha)

14. How many people who get interviews get accepted from the program?

See above

15. For applying to the MBA program, what GPA do you need to have from the MBS program to be considered or accepted?

I was advised to try to get into the top 10% of the class. I know one person in my class who got into tufts had a 4.0 in the program and was very close to the professors and also volunteered at our student ran health center thing. But another classmate who got in got a 3.7 (or lower) and wasnt as active. My current grade is a little over 3.6 and I scored just above average on most tests...

16. Also, I saw on the site that the GMAT score is required if you want to get the MBA in the 2nd year--but what score do you need to get to get accepted?

No clue

17. One more thing I just thought about--what other opportunities can you have/do with an MBA as a physician other than hospital management/group practice management? I at first thought those were the only main reasons you would want to get an MBA, but was just told by a friend that there are a ton more--but what??

Not really sure all the options out there with an MBS masters, but it will give you an added advantage if you decide to enter the workplace (C'mon... a masters in one year is pretty sweet) but also opens up options other than medical school such as MBA/MPH

18. Random Info/My Suggestions

Become friends with the medical students and past MBS students! MUCH OF THE TEST QUESTIONS ARE REUSED EACH YEAR, and sometimes the med students (who are in better connection with the past year med students) have more access to old tests and helpful hints. Also the med students are better organized in terms of parties/bar crawls especially after tests, so going to their parties is always fun and opens up possibilities of meeting/dating/hooking up with some people you dont have to see everyday in class!

All classes are recorded... first semester and first part of the second semester I attended every class until I realized I learned sooooo much better sitting at home or at the library and watching the lectures, being able to pause and rewind.

Second semester deviates from the medical students in that in anatomy we dont get cadavers (which sucks), and in pathology and physiology, which the medical students get over 2 years, they try to condense it into 6 months.

FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME WITH QUESTIONS AT [email protected] and I will do my best to post responses on this forum so all can see!

About to pay my deposit today! Visited Tufts this week for the open house and was very impressed. Where do MBS students usually live? I've only been to Boston once in my life...

GBODumich2012, there's no on-campus housing, so you'll need to find something off-campus. Is there anyone interested in looking for an apartment together?

GBODumich2012, there's no on-campus housing, so you'll need to find something off-campus. Is there anyone interested in looking for an apartment together?

There actually is on campus housing, it's just that there are very limited spots available for it.

Can anyone explain the thesis aspect in further detail? Is it possible to complete a thesis during the year? Especially since the first semester seems loaded already... How would that work if you were to get into med/dental school that summer?

Can anyone explain the thesis aspect in further detail? Is it possible to complete a thesis during the year? Especially since the first semester seems loaded already... How would that work if you were to get into med/dental school that summer?

You CAN do the thesis during the year though it is a lot of work to do in the year.

I got in for this coming year and I am going to finish my thesis this summer over the next month or two.