Tufts Maine Track vs. UCF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tufts ME Track or UCF?

• Tufts

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • UCF

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

kab6492

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I know I'm just adding to the pile here, but like many others, I am in the extremely fortunate but difficult position of choosing between 2 schools that I love. I figured some outside perspectives would be beneficial! :)

Tiny bit of background: I am from Maine (family is there) and now live in Boston/went to college here, my SO lives and works in Boston as well. I have NO idea what specialty I want - interested in pediatrics, family med, OB/GYN, and psych BUT also some interest in derm, neuro, PM&R, etc. Definitely not a surgeon. TLDR; I like primary care but don't want to close any doors.

Tufts Maine Track
+
Location/comfort - stay where I am for 2 years (and Boston is great), then return to my home state for 2 years, close to home/family/support system/friends who are going to Tufts
+ Received half-tuition scholarship for at least M1-M2 (hopefully for all 4 years)
+ Fairly strong reputation in New England -- good residency opportunities? I think I do want to do residency and practice in N.E.
+ Pretty strong & varied match list
+ Already have a bunch of faculty connections because I work at a Tufts-affiliated hospital
+ Pass/fail
+ Students seem really happy, collaborative, fun
+ Maine Track is an awesome program & seems to be small and close-knit group within the larger class
+ As a scholarship recipient, I have to participate in the LIC during 3rd year -> get to develop close relationships with faculty (usually 1:1 ratio), have longitudinal patient panel to follow (long-term relationships with patients = important to me), not traditional block rotations - would have more variety every day

- As cool as the LIC is, I'm a bit worried that it could limit my exposure to specialties in M3, and may hurt me if I decide on a competitive field because I won't have as much experience or all-star faculty connections, definitely strong focus on primary care which I am not set on, and requires a lot of self-directed learning and discipline, which I'm not sure will be my best learning style? I tend to like a lot of structure
- Location/comfort - a double-edged sword because I have lived in N.E. my whole life and have been itching to live somewhere new; getting kind of tired of Boston (and terrible winters! I HATE winter/snow/cold), worried I won't have many more opportunities to move across the country
- Tufts is definitely not a research "powerhouse" and I'm not sure if it would be tough to find projects to get involved in? Doesn't seem like a major concern
- Terrible cost of living in Boston, but 2 years in ME would be more affordable
- Scholarship not guaranteed for M3-M4 (depends on funding) -- if not, would be paying a lot more than anticipated
Total anticipated debt: ~$250,000

UCF
+
Interview day blew me away; I loved everything about it. Students, faculty, admissions were all so energetic, happy and helpful. Most visibly happy students I encountered at any interview. Think I felt a little of that elusive "fit" concept here
+ Not really sure what living in Orlando/Lake Nona would be like, but I LOVE Florida (family about 2 hours from Orlando, was practically my 2nd home growing up) and would love to live there for a few years -- can you say hot weather & sunshine?? :bow:
+ Administration (esp. admissions staff) is so transparent and helpful, tons of support is provided to students and it seems like the school really wants students to be happy & successful
+ Brand new, beautiful facilities and teaching hospitals, building the "medical city", lots of technology involved in the curriculum
+ iPad and laptop provided with all books/materials you need
+ Orlando cost of living/housing looks REAL good coming from Boston
+ There are some positives to it being a newer school - Dean German's vision is really inspiring, and the match list this year looks like students are doing really well. I do think this school is going places and it would be cool to be part of it.
+ Did get a modest scholarship for 4 years that helps a bit with that OOS tuition

- Reputation - like I said, I think this is on the rise, but there's no denying it does not have the reputation of Tufts (especially for those residencies in the Northeast)
- Newer school = cool but still a bit scary
- Far from "home" and having a support system nearby is important to me, plus I want to be near aging family members; also more difficult for my SO to move down there so we may be apart for a while
- ABCF grading - I don't think this is as huge a deal as most people make it, but would prefer P/F
- Kind of the opposite problem of the ME track in terms of specialty selection - this match list has very LITTLE primary care (can you tell I want it all? LOL)
- Still not really sure about the quality of clinical years / rotations
- FIRE project - I want to have research opportunities at hand, but have heard some meh to negative things about FIRE's usefulness from students
- Expensive OOS tuition, close to $40k more than Tufts over 4 years (which I realize isn't that bad in the grand scheme, but I have UG debt so need to minimize it)
Total anticipated debt: ~$280-290,000

Sorry I'm not very good at keeping a long story short! If you made it through my random stream of consciousness, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a very similar boat to you. I love Maine and plan to practice there in the future. My big concern with the Maine track was what you mentioned about the LIC and the exposure. Another concern for me, that you didn’t mention, is the constant traveling during MS2. Every other weekend you have to go to a rural Maine site that can be as far as Bangor…this seems like it could be pretty stressful on top of classes. Even with these drawbacks, I still think the Maine track is pretty awesome. I don’t know much about UCF so I can’t comment on that. Really interested to see what others have to say.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in a very similar boat to you. I love Maine and plan to practice there in the future. My big concern with the Maine track was what you mentioned about the LIC and the exposure. Another concern for me, that you didn’t mention, is the constant traveling during MS2. Every other weekend you have to go to a rural Maine site that can be as far as Bangor…this seems like it could be pretty stressful on top of classes. Even with these drawbacks, I still think the Maine track is pretty awesome. I don’t know much about UCF so I can’t comment on that. Really interested to see what others have to say.

Thanks for your feedback! You pretty much read my mind on this - I forgot to mention the travel issue, you're right that would seem to cause some additional stress. Plus uprooting and moving at least once during medical school is not ideal, especially when much of your support network is in Boston, as mine is. But an amazing program! Tough decision ahead, that's for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
- FIRE project - I want to have research opportunities at hand, but have heard some meh to negative things about FIRE's usefulness from students
Hey! I've also been accepted to UCF (I have a thread for FIU vs. UCF that I'm hoping some people will hopefully reply too). Could you elaborate on what you mean about some students saying FIRE wasn't that useful or had negative experiences? I did speak to some M4's but they seemed to enjoy the FIRE project/not be bothered at it since it gave them some research or a chance of publication. I would love to hear the negative things as well though so I'm more informed on my decision as well. Thanks. :)

Hey! I've also been accepted to UCF (I have a thread for FIU vs. UCF that I'm hoping some people will hopefully reply too). Could you elaborate on what you mean about some students saying FIRE wasn't that useful or had negative experiences? I did speak to some M4's but they seemed to enjoy the FIRE project/not be bothered at it since it gave them some research or a chance of publication. I would love to hear the negative things as well though so I'm more informed on my decision as well. Thanks. :)

Hey! Congrats on your acceptances! I guess "negative" is probably too harsh a word, but during my interview a couple of M1/M2s told me that they were having a bit of trouble finding a FIRE mentor to work with, especially in their areas of interest, and that because of this, many students end up latching on to the first project they can find just so they can get it over with and are not particularly excited about their research. I think FIRE is a really good idea in theory and I agree that being able to publish/present research is crucial, but in my personal opinion, making research required can sometimes backfire if students feel pressure to meet the requirement and aren't able to easily find a mentor in their specific area of interest. Hopefully this issue will improve as the campus grows and more faculty mentors become available in the vicinity. I definitely think it has good and bad points and is not a dealbreaker by any means!

Quick bump to see if anyone else has input! Thanks :)

I think you have touched on pretty much everything you need to consider. The lower CoA at Tufts would be enticing enough for me, especially since it is much more established (i.e. stronger reputation and better name recognition), virtually guarantees you a match with a New England residency program (flying from FL to N.E. and back for away rotations and interviews would be inconvenient and expensive, and I don’t know about you but I strongly dislike flying), and allows you to be closer to family and friends.

I think you have touched on pretty much everything you need to consider. The lower CoA at Tufts would be enticing enough for me, especially since it is much more established (i.e. stronger reputation and better name recognition), virtually guarantees you a match with a New England residency program (flying from FL to N.E. and back for away rotations and interviews would be inconvenient and expensive, and I don’t know about you but I strongly dislike flying), and allows you to be closer to family and friends.

Thanks for your perspective - I agree with you on all of these points. I think cost, convenience, and having a support system nearby are definitely pointing me in the direction of Tufts. Best of luck to you!

I can vouch for Tufts re: research opportunities. You will not have a problem.

I can vouch for Tufts re: research opportunities. You will not have a problem.

Thanks, that's good to hear! I assumed as much, but I feel like Tufts does not focus on research as heavily as other schools I have visited, so I was a little unsure of the opportunities. Thank you!

Thanks, that's good to hear! I assumed as much, but I feel like Tufts does not focus on research as heavily as other schools I have visited, so I was a little unsure of the opportunities. Thank you!

I know people at Tufts Med doing all kinds of research - surgical techniques, 3D-printing body parts, virology. I'm actually interested in Tufts in part because of their USDA funded nutrition research center.

Reactions: 1 user
Tufts has decent research, you wont have a problem. More importantly though, is that there is important biomedical/clinical research happening all over the Boston institutions - BIDMC, BWH, CHB, MGH, BMC, Tufts, the Broad/MIT... There are far more Harvard PIs than harvard medical students! You could reach out to so many labs and see what's available, you aren't limited to Tufts.

IDK much about UCF but I was reading an allo thread the other day where one student was discussing how poorly the school was handling C grades in classes. Apparently the administration was not honoring the percentile score for passing and was forcing this student to remediate or drop out for passing a class.