TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got in!!!!!!!!!!!!! And now I'm impatiently waiting for the school to open so I can call in my deposit. Wooohooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
:soexcited::banana::biglove::zip::banana::biglove::soexcited::banana::love::soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys
I was checkin out First yr schedule
on thursday august 14th, we are scheduled to do ICM between 8AM to 1PM. what is ICM?

So I think we have orientation between august 11th to august 14th? and no class on following friday???

ICM is Introduction to Clinical Medicine. As far as I can tell Orientation is only four days. Maybe after a week in orientation and getting to know each other, we can all go out on Friday for a breather before classes start.

I just got in!!!!!!!!!!!!! And now I'm impatiently waiting for the school to open so I can call in my deposit. Wooohooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
:soexcited::banana::biglove::zip::banana::biglove::soexcited::banana::love::soexcited:

congrats.. I am glad you already changed your signature

thanks for the congrats, everyone! I'm so excited, and can't wait to meet you all. :love:

Congrats to all of my future colleagues! I look forward to meeting you all. If you have any questions in the mean time feel free to message me. Please don't ask me what and if you should study though (DON'T!).

Ok now back to summer. :hardy:

CONGRATULATIONS MEGGIELOU!!!! :hardy: u weren't kidding about the bananas. we need to all party up at orientation and see our fellow SDN friends in person. NYC NYC NYC NYC!!!

I was sad that I could use just 10 smilies...
Posted via Mobile Device

wooo hooooo! I know I already told you meggielou, but congrats again anyways!!!

I think a Friday night out with classmates is just what we will need after orientation/before classes start. Count me in! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
withdrew my acceptance offer from the c/o 2012 - g'luck to anybody who's still waiting!!

shmay, looks like you're getting close!! Good luck :luck:

wooo hooooo! I know I already told you meggielou, but congrats again anyways!!!

I think a Friday night out with classmates is just what we will need after orientation/before classes start. Count me in! :hardy:

i 2nd that :thumbup: :D

Hello all! I'm going to start out by first congratulating the next matriculating class. I wish you all the best!

With that out of the way, I was wondering, since I can't seem to find the information from their website, if TOUROCOM is an accredited institution, or if it's awaiting some type of accreditation. Also, I was wondering if anyone has started rotations... I'm not sure exactly when this school brought their initiating class and so I'm just not up to date on what phase of their medical education the first class is in at the moment. If anyone is in their 3rd or 4rth year, I was hoping that they could speak out on their experience.

Also I was wondering if anyone has felt the pressure to take the USMLE step 1 in conjunction with the COMLEX step 1 in order to try and get the more competitive allopathic residency. Granted that there haven't been any graduates of TOUROCOM, I'm sure there have been some students who have thought about this. I'm just hoping that you guys could educate me and a few others who are curious about this.

As a final question, I was wondering how you guys are enjoying your education. I am applying soon and would like to get a feel for the type of student and educational atmosphere at TOUROCOM. To those who take the time to consider these questions and give their honest response... You have my sincere thanks.

Hey chup, I'm a student at TouroCOM-NY so I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Many of the things you were asking can be found here: http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2009/TOUROCOM-NY.pdf

You can pretty much expect that any medical school, new or not, has some sort of accreditation. As a new school, we have provisional accreditation from COCA since full accreditation cannot be granted until the school graduates a class.

No one has started rotations yet as the inaugural class of 2011 is starting their second year next year. We have a very good list of hospitals that we will be rotating at and the school is always looking to expand and create more opportunities for third and fourth year students.

I know a lot of us, myself included, are planning to take the USMLE. At this point of our education very few of us are sure what field of medicine we want to practice, much less where, so taking the USMLE will give us more chances to go to the places we want to go to in order to practice the type of medicine we want to. It will be harder taking the COMLEX and USMLE, but the majority of osteopathic medical students do it every year, so I wouldn't worry about it.

I've really enjoyed the educational experience at TouroCOM. All of our professors are around all the time and everyone from the dean to the secretaries have open door policies if you feel you're having any trouble or are unhappy about the way something is going. We also have come together extremely well as a class and created our own website where everyone uploads notes, study guides, and practice quizzes. The atmosphere at the school is very uncompetitive, but don't take that to mean we don't work hard, we're just not cut-throat. There really are no gunners, everyone there is willing to help everyone else out. The students with backgrounds in different fields (Masters or PhDs) often hold reviews for the other students or provide additional resources. On top of that, we have every lecture scribed, audio recorded, and video recorded, so you're never missing out on anything.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I hope I hit all your points and questions and good luck this application cycle!

i'm starting to feel like all hope is lost. i know i'm really close on the waitlist, but i feel that waitlist movement is starting to slow.

Congrats to those that got in!

I was curious on where I can find the average MCAT score accepted for Touro-NY? I know they would only have at max, two years of data, but how would I know if my MCAT score is competitive enough for the school?

Thanks again and good luck to all.

I was curious on where I can find the average MCAT score accepted for Touro-NY? I know they would only have at max, two years of data, but how would I know if my MCAT score is competitive enough for the school?

I don't know the average, but the cutoff for getting an interview is 24. Good luck!

And shmay, hang in there!! You still have time

I don't know the average, but the cutoff for getting an interview is 24. Good luck!

And shmay, hang in there!! You still have time
Class of 2011:
MCAT - 25.8

Class of 2012:
MCAT - ? They are still taking folks off the wait list but the general consensus is that it will go up.

i'm starting to feel like all hope is lost. i know i'm really close on the waitlist, but i feel that waitlist movement is starting to slow.

Get depressed in August. June 30th still gives you time. How far down the list are you?

Get depressed in August. June 30th still gives you time. How far down the list are you?

i'm pretty close. i'm just worried cause it's july and school's suppossed to start in a month and a half. :(

i'd just really like to stop worrying, but i'll try to be more patient.

i'm pretty close. i'm just worried cause it's july and school's suppossed to start in a month and a half. :(

i'd just really like to stop worrying, but i'll try to be more patient.

There are quite a few people are on other wait lists that can help you out, including people not on this forum, and my self :rolleyes:

There are quite a few people are on other wait lists that can help you out, including people not on this forum, and my self :rolleyes:

Here's hoping. :)

I hope you get into NYCOM; I've been lurking through the forums, and I know that's where you're really looking to go. So here's hoping for you too.

Here's hoping. :)

I hope you get into NYCOM; I've been lurking through the forums, and I know that's where you're really looking to go. So here's hoping for you too.

Hopefully everything works out in the end. :rolleyes:

Hey has everyone sent out their registration forms?

I did send mine yesterday, not that bad but kinda got intimidated by the fact that I will be takin 25credits. I guess it is good sign that we will learn a lot.

-_-

and I also had to fill out immunization form. It costed me 700 dollars to get all the immunity injections.

shmay, good luck to u.

I did send mine yesterday, not that bad but kinda got intimidated by the fact that I will be takin 25credits. I guess it is good sign that we will learn a lot.

-_-

and I also had to fill out immunization form. It costed me 700 dollars to get all the immunity injections.

shmay, good luck to u.

i would suggest to go a free clinic if anyone else is going to do this. wow 700 dollars is outrageous :eek: .

hey i had a question, i keep hearing that Tourocom is not affiliated with the other touro's. But then i hear that a student from touro ny can rotate in CA and NV because of their affiliations with touro ca and nv. anyone can clear that up for me :confused:. Are we affiliated with Touro ca and nv?

touro-NY is affiliated with touro college, which is also affiliated with touro-CA and touro-NV. if you go to touro.edu; and go to graduate schools, it lists touro-NY, touro-CA, and touro-NV. also, at the interview, obed told us that the school was trying to set it up so that students could do rotations with their sister schools in CA and NV.

oh, and thanks for the support butterfly. hopefully it will all work out.

We are affiliated with the other Touros, but we are not a branch campus. Touro-NV is a branch of Touro-CA, which are both under the umbrella of Touro University. We are affiliated with Touro University and thus the Touro-CA and NV, but we are a separate college and are therefore a new medical school, not a branch of a previous one.

I know, it's complicated and doesn't make any sense. I don't really get it either, but I would really like the opportunity to do rotations there and open them up for them to do them in New York, it provides a great chance for all the students at the Touros to start establishing contacts with each other and allows you to see what other parts of the country are like.

I am not sure. Last winter, I shadowed Dr.Abend who teaches OMM at Touro, and he told me it was above 27 or something

I called Obed on march and asked him for ave MCAT for accepted students, he said 28 was average

I know my stat is not competitive and I do not have 28 on mcat.

I took MCAT on last april and I bombed it big time---do not study MCAT when u have senioritis
I thought I was scrwed, getting off wailtlist from TouroCOM has meant a lot of luck that I cannot appreciate enough.

Besides MCAT score, I think Touro admission seeks for students who have willingness to study in the urban environment as well.

Those of you who got off the waitlist, were you on the high waitlist? I'm on the medium waitlist. Think there's any chance I'll get in?

Those of you who got off the waitlist, were you on the high waitlist? I'm on the medium waitlist. Think there's any chance I'll get in?

I was on the high waitlist. I know there are still a few people left from the high waitlist who haven't been accepted yet, and that the class is full, so spots given to waitlisters will most likely be from people who withdraw. Depending on your rank on the waitlist, it might be tough. Or I could be completely wrong and you'll get in tomorrow. Either way, good luck! :luck:

I was on the high waitlist. I know there are still a few people left from the high waitlist who haven't been accepted yet, and that the class is full, so spots given to waitlisters will most likely be from people who withdraw. Depending on your rank on the waitlist, it might be tough. Or I could be completely wrong and you'll get in tomorrow. Either way, good luck! :luck:

I heard the class is full from obed and i spoke to him about a week ago, but there is 5 weeks left so anything can happen.

Good luck shymay

I spoke to Obed today, and he said acceptances have gone out to the remaining 4 on the high waitlist. They're waiting to hear back from them, and then the medium waitlist will be ranked, and acceptances will go out. Goodluck to everyone!

I spoke to Obed today, and he said acceptances have gone out to the remaining 4 on the high waitlist. They're waiting to hear back from them, and then the medium waitlist will be ranked, and acceptances will go out. Goodluck to everyone!

good to hear, i thought shmay was on the high waitlist? does that mean she was accepted? :confused:

Hey pamolive, would you attend if you are accepted? good luck

Last edited:
i was on the high waitlist. apparently, i'm still on the highwaitlist (i'm #3, still) :( i just called obed to see what was going on, and he gave me the same response. the class is full and acceptance depends on others withdrawing. he also told me to encourage those who are holding multiple spots to make a final decision. lol. so if anyone is out there holding multiple spots at other schools, please make a final decision. :D

i'm dying to hear from obed. to those who recently got accepted off the waitlist: did you receive a call or email? i'm obsessively checking both my email and voice mail.

i was on the high waitlist. apparently, i'm still on the highwaitlist (i'm #3, still) :( i just called obed to see what was going on, and he gave me the same response. the class is full and acceptance depends on others withdrawing. he also told me to encourage those who are holding multiple spots to make a final decision. lol. so if anyone is out there holding multiple spots at other schools, please make a final decision. :D

i'm dying to hear from obed. to those who recently got accepted off the waitlist: did you receive a call or email? i'm obsessively checking both my email and voice mail.

Were you on the high waitlist right from the get-go, or did you get "bumped up" to the high waitlist as it moved? That would be the only thing that would make sense if supposedly all the high waitlisters had gotten an acceptance.

When I got in a few weeks ago, it was via email, but that may have been a fluke because Obed was out of the office that day.

Hey everyone, I am the last person on the high waitlist. #4 of 4, I also know this because I was #39 of 39. (As you can tell my interview went GREAT…nope!) I was put on the high-waitlist in February and have always been on the high waitlist…so If, and I do say If, I get in It will be the end of the High waitlisters.

Also, I don't know if Obed misspoke to you Pamolive or what miscommunication happen, but WOW when it turned out to be untrue I wanted to cry. Maybe not cry, but definitely put my head back in my pillow and sleep till tomorrow…or until this whole thing is over.

Well, back to sleep.ZZzzzzz…

i was on the high waitlist from the start. i also wanted to lay my head down and cry when it all turned out to be not true. i will continue to check my email and cell phone until i finally hear from obed. :(

Oh wow, I'm really sorry guys :(

When I spoke to Obed today, I asked him if he expected the medium waitlist to move at all. He said they haven't ranked it yet, and that they're still waiting to hear back from the last 4 on the highwaitlist. He also said I should expect to hear in the next 2 weeks. So... I took that to mean you all were accepted and he was waiting to hear if you were taking the seats. I'm really sorry, I spoke too soon.

I will definitely attend if I get off the waitlist. I really hope I do. I was very gung-ho PCOM, because I'm already here (doing the postbac), but recent events with admissions here has made me rethink that decision. Blah blah blah, long story short, I think I'd really like it at Touro.

Shy and mholt, I am almost positive you will get off the waitlist. It might not be till orientation time, when people just don't show up, but I really think you'll get in. There is usually a lot of movement once orientation comes around, because a lot of people just don't notify the school when they've decided to go somewhere else. Good luck to you guys. This waiting sucks, trust me I know, but hang in there.

Well, I just got a call from Obed and he told me to be ready. I am now #2 (that makes you shmay #1) and they are waiting for 2 students to make up their minds. Obed said it should happen this week. I better warm up my credit card for another deposit...ouch.

I just got a call from Obed. I've been accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:soexcited:

I just got a call from Obed. I've been accepted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:soexcited:

Shmay, that's such good news!!! Congrats!!! :hardy:

Good luck to you mholt and pamolive!! :luck:

Shmay, that's such good news!!! Congrats!!! :hardy:

Good luck to you mholt and pamolive!! :luck:

thanks allisome! i'm so excited.

mholt, you're #1 now, and you'll probably get pulled off the waitlist very soon!

thanks allisome! i'm so excited.

mholt, you're #1 now, and you'll probably get pulled off the waitlist very soon!

Congrats, shmay!!! I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to meet you. I know of a few people looking for roommates, so PM me and I can give you the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.