TOUROCOM - New York Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was curious about what's going on with touro in new york. does anyone have any insight on their timeline for interviews? from the interview invite thread, it looks like no one's heard back yet. i also remember a couple people mentioning that if you complete a secondary, that you will be automatically invited for an interview. i sent my secondary in early august, but haven't heard anything. i'm wondering if they are just a little slower than some of the other schools and just haven't started sending out interview invites yet to those with completed apps? anyone know anything? thanks!

Hello my fellow native Detroiter. I'm currently attending Touro-NY and I asked the director of admissions about the timeline for interviews because I have a few other friends applying there as well, and he told me that they're hoping to start sending interview invitations in early October. This was a couple weeks ago, so I don't know if anything has changed, but that's what he told me then. Also, I doubt that they'll be inviting everyone who applied to interview, it just seems to me like that'd be a waste of time and energy to interview people who probably will not be accepted.

Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you guys think about the $200 dollar secondary fee? And does anyone know how Touro NY treats out of staters?

Hello my fellow native Detroiter. I'm currently attending Touro-NY and I asked the director of admissions about the timeline for interviews because I have a few other friends applying there as well, and he told me that they're hoping to start sending interview invitations in early October. This was a couple weeks ago, so I don't know if anything has changed, but that's what he told me then. Also, I doubt that they'll be inviting everyone who applied to interview, it just seems to me like that'd be a waste of time and energy to interview people who probably will not be accepted.

Best of luck to you!

hey...

1, Do you like the school?? how is it going??
2. I actually emailed Mr. Figueroa a couple of times and he did write that everyone who completed and mailed a secondary would be offered a chance to interview!:laugh:
3. No I haven't heard anything about the school after completing the secondary and receiving his response to my email...but maybe I am being pre-mature but I am counting it in my total interview count:)

I really enjoy it so far. There have been a few hick-ups in getting everything finalized and completed, but nothing that has hampered the experience. I would have to say that half of the experience is living in NYC too. Being in in the middle of Manhattan just kind of makes everything more exciting, and you'll never run out of new things to do.

Hopefully you enjoy your interview day, as it sounds like you'll be having one. :)

If they give you a secondary to fill out then I think you should be feeling very good because they do send rejection letters without asking for a secondary.

Someone go ahead and ask me how I know this.;)

right - the reason they interview everybody with the secondary is because they pre-screen before sending out the secondaries, kind of like NYCOM does. I also spoke to Mr. Figueroa recently and he told me that interview invites should be coming any day now with dates scheduled for late october, early november... that doesn't seem like a lot of notice though, just about two-three weeks?

it's not a problem for me, because i just hop on the train from D.C. to NY, but others that may have to fly.... yikes at the airfare.

I'm a current TouroCOM-NY student and the poster above me is correct. They do not send secondaries to people they will not interview meaning... if they call and ask for your secondary and the $200 fee it's because they pre-screened you and want to interview. It is a lot of money, but I personally liked the fact that I didn't have to waste my time filling a secondary and paying for it, and risk not even being interviewed like the majority of schools

just got an interview invite by email! they forgot to send the attachments they referred to in the email with directions and hotel accommodations but i'll get back to them about that. can any current students tell me if there is a student hosting program for interviewees?

No, there's no student hosting program in place (I assume you mean in terms of housing interviewees for the time they're here). I'm pretty sure you might be the first person to ask about this, as we didn't have students to ask when we were interviewing. I'd plan on just staying at a hotel, most of our apartments are pretty small (Manhattan is an expensive place to live).

Good luck in your interview and hopefully they let you poke your head in during one of our classes.

hoping to get interview offer in the next few days. great to finally hear that they're going out!!

suenos, i think you're the first person ( i know or here on SDN ) that has the offer from them for this year.

yeah, i'm surprised we haven't seen more people posting on here about it, maybe they just don't think to do it. i still haven't gotten confirmation back from them about the date i chose but i'll give them a call later today. (for some reason i can't get through to anyone at the office at 9:30am?)

yikes- i saw on their website that they expect a $2000 deposit within 2 weeks of acceptance! it appears that the $200 app fee isn't the only pricey fee.. i guess i should just focus on having a good interview and not get ahead of myself just yet, huh? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
School is closed for the Jewish holiday. Try again on Monday.
Good luck with your interview!

I just received an interview invite by email today too, without any attachments as well.

I just received an interview invite by email today too, without any attachments as well.

i'm interviewing on oct 30. when are you interviewing?

Hi Guys,
I am excited about this school. What are your feelings about the school? What is the schedule like?

Hi Guys,
I am excited about this school. What are your feelings about the school? What is the schedule like?

I really like the school, but it's more about if you like it when you come to interview. The cultural and urban setting the school is located in is half the experience for me. Is there any specific info you're looking for about the school?

The schedule is intense, just like all medical schools. This is what we're doing right now:

Our days vary from which classes we have to the times we're in class. Mondays and Tuesdays are typically two/three lectures in the morning from 9-12, break for lunch, and 1-5 in the anatomy lab (which flies by). Wednesdays we're doing physical diagnosis in the mornings and have 1-2 lectures in the afternoons. Thursdays have an OMM lecture in the morning, followed by three different sections of OMM hands-on training (10am-12pm, 1-3pm, or 3-5pm) with the rest of the time off. Fridays are half days with usually 2 lectures from 9-12.

Feel free to ask about whatever you'd like and I'll do my best to answer your questions. I'm sure most of your questions will be answered if/when you interview.

hey colbert, mind if I ask you what were your mcat/gpa were for TOUROCOM? It's my first choice... I live in Brooklyn, but I went to undergrad at NYU so I'd love to be close to home and in the city I love.

According to AACOMAS, my overall GPA is 3.357, with a 2.962 overall science GPA (I know) and a 3.529 overall non-science GPA. MCAT is a 26Q. BA in Psychology.

I've received and sent in the secondary (so luckily I'm not rejected off the bat) and they said they received it as well as "After submission of all documents required for admission, you'll be sent via email an invitation once interviews begin." Does this mean that they wont schedule an interview until my committee letter arrives?

Do you think I have a fair chance, based on the average scores of your classmates or from what you know? Thanks so much!

Instead of my stats, because mine and some of my other classmate's stats vary widely, I'll give you the Class of 2011 Averages/Ranges.

MCAT - 25.8
Science GPA- 3.13
Overall GPA - 3.27
Academic credential range - Baccalaureate-Doctorate
Average age - 25 (range: 21-47)
In-state: 45%

Based on those, I definitely think you have a fair shot. I have no idea about interviews or scheduling of interviews, so I can't help you there, I don't know how they're taking care of those.

Good luck!

Thanks, you answered most of my questions. One more if you don't mind. Do they have Problem Based Learning?

Thanks, you answered most of my questions. One more if you don't mind. Do they have Problem Based Learning?

Yes we do. It is actually a course structured around that model. Starts around 2nd semester 1st year (correct me if I am wrong Colbert).

Good luck with all of your interviews ladies and gents. If myself or my classmate may be of further assistance please let me know.

BTW, the course is called integrated medical reasoning.
Also, I wanted to add that I could not be happier with the school, faculty and my colleagues. This school was my first choice while applying and I am very satisfied with my decision. Of course, individual opinions will vary. As my colleague stated earlier, whats most important is how you feel about the package as a whole. This includes the location, faculty, interview experiences and mission statement just to name a few.

Again good luck and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions that you may have. I look forward to meeting some of you while you interview.

Does anyone know when they are going to start interviewing? I know some people have recieved interviews, but it doesn't seem like they are asking that many people to the interviews yet.

I second the above-mentioned question about interviews. Also, does anyone know for sure if TOUROCOM schedules an interview only when your file is complete, including your LOR's, Committee Letter, etc. because they have received my secondary and I'm wondering if I'm waiting for a date or am on hold until they receive my supporting documents.

Also, are there any fellow NYU graduates applying to TOUROCOM? I'd like to feel the love!

I have an interview on November 6th and was just curious if anyone knew how many TOURO-NYCOM students go into surgery. I've heard they are very primary care based as with many DO schools, but I want to go into surgery and am interested in how their surgery rotations were set up.

In response to the previous post...I dont think anyone has a number on that yet...just because they havent had a full graduating class yet...so from what I would think, no one has stats on that.

My question...Out of the students interviewed last year...how many were accepted...what is the percentage of acceptances from interviews??

I have an interview on November 6th and was just curious if anyone knew how many TOURO-NYCOM students go into surgery. I've heard they are very primary care based as with many DO schools, but I want to go into surgery and am interested in how their surgery rotations were set up.

TouroCOM NY and NYCOM are two different schools. You might want to make sure you're thinking of the right school. Our inaugural class is the class of 2011 so as of now we have 0 students in surgery.

I don't think any of us can answer your question about how many students were interviewed last year, that would be a question for the director of admissions. I can tell you that we have a class of 135 (and I assume that it'll be the same size for next year's class). Again, it's better to apply early than late when you're competing for fewer spots.

I don't think any of us can answer your question about how many students were interviewed last year, that would be a question for the director of admissions. I can tell you that we have a class of 135 (and I assume that it'll be the same size for next year's class). Again, it's better to apply early than late when you're competing for fewer spots.

Go study! :laugh:

A few more quick questions if you don't mind...
Do they offer streaming of the classes?
Is there a dress code?
Is attendance mandatory?
Thanks for your answer and help

A few more quick questions if you don't mind...
Do they offer streaming of the classes?
Is there a dress code?
Is attendance mandatory?
Thanks for your answer and help

Any and all questions are welcome. I definitely don't mind.

Streaming of classes is offered. It s not up and running yet but will be in the next month.

Dress code is neat. Business casual but a very relaxed definition of it. No graphic tees or anything but a polo with some jeans and sneakers is ok.

Attendance is mandatory for labs. Thats the only time it is actually taken. Technically though, it is required for all classes. The overwhelming majority of students go to all lectures. For the most part, they are beneficial and engaging. Wow sorry that was a really text book and dorky answer but its true. :oops:

Let me know what else I can help with.

Thanks both of you for your time on answering my questions. It sounds as if it is a great school!

I just rescheduled with Kathy for Oct. 30th, so i'm really psyched about visiting the school. I think this and Midwestern Chicago are my top choices. I would have done my interview on the 23rd, but my cafe got robbed 2 times this week and I am going crazy. I think pushing it back will relax me a bit and get me a bit more prepared for my interview. After getting waitlisted at Nova, I think I need to prove to myself and these medical schools that I have what it takes to become a physician.

Here are some more questions for current students (thanks in advance!)

I know Touro College is a religiously affiliated school - can you talk about what that means as far as the medical school goes? Are most of the students Jewish? Non-Jewish?

What about LGBT students? What is the campus climate like? Conservative? Liberal? Etc. (This is in response to last year's headlines regarding the LGBT group at Touro-MI)

Are most people 'urban'? Or a mix of students from everywhere?

Thanks for your answers!!:)

I know Touro College is a religiously affiliated school - can you talk about what that means as far as the medical school goes? Are most of the students Jewish? Non-Jewish?

What about LGBT students? What is the campus climate like? Conservative? Liberal? Etc. (This is in response to last year's headlines regarding the LGBT group at Touro-MI)

yeah, judging by the LGT club from the MI campus, I don't think it's a big deal honestly. NYC isn't the most uptight areas...

sooo i'm a bit confused..

i received a secondary in snail mail this week, but no interview invite...does this mean i will get an interview? or "most likely" get an interview? or is it just like a normal secondary?

thanks..

Most students are non-jewish. I think this is fairly proportional to the general pop. ( I don't really see the relevance of this). All this means is we get jewish religious holidays off and if the school serves food, its kosher.

I would say the campus climate is mostly liberal with a minority conservative body. We do not have a LGBT club yet but I am sure we will.

'urban'? Like from cities vs. suburbs? I guess yes most people are from cities but again just representative of general population. But yes we have a great mix of people from small towns and from the biggest of cities.

sooo i'm a bit confused..

i received a secondary in snail mail this week, but no interview invite...does this mean i will get an interview? or "most likely" get an interview? or is it just like a normal secondary?

thanks..

everyone who completes a secondary will be invited to interview.

hi guys
I was called for an interview with Touro

But I was reading about the school, and people were saying how it is not well prepared, not enough facilities, and that students DO NOT get any sort of clinical exposure until thier 3rd and 4th yr which puts them behind of all other students

any thoughts/
thanks

Hi all, I spoke with Obed today and he said there will be an Open House coming up. Does anyone know who is Issa Sow and the exact date and time of the event? Thanks. :)

Instead of my stats, because mine and some of my other classmate's stats vary widely, I'll give you the Class of 2011 Averages/Ranges.

MCAT - 25.8
Science GPA- 3.13
Overall GPA - 3.27
Academic credential range - Baccalaureate-Doctorate
Average age - 25 (range: 21-47)
In-state: 45%

Based on those, I definitely think you have a fair shot. I have no idea about interviews or scheduling of interviews, so I can't help you there, I don't know how they're taking care of those.

Good luck!
Colbert, where did you obtain the stats from? The stats look reasonable for a DO school, but I just don't want to give myself false hope. I know, I'm a pessimist. Thanks.

well, I just got my interview invite today! To say I'm excited would be the understatement of the year, hehe...

Anyone have any word on the format of the interview process (i.e. open or closed file, one-on-one, etc)?

I'll likely be there on the 30th since I actually don't have class that day... maybe I'll see some of you there!

:)

well, I just got my interview invite today! To say I'm excited would be the understatement of the year, hehe...

Anyone have any word on the format of the interview process (i.e. open or closed file, one-on-one, etc)?

I'll likely be there on the 30th since I actually don't have class that day... maybe I'll see some of you there!

:)

how long did it take after they received your secondary/LOR's for them to send you an invite and via what method did you receive it?

also, are there any numbers on the ratio of people interviewed at TOUROCOM to the actual number accepted? they definitely screen pre-secondary, so those with interviews must have a higher chance already.

hi guys

But I was reading about the school, and people were saying how it is not well prepared, not enough facilities, and that students DO NOT get any sort of clinical exposure until thier 3rd and 4th yr which puts them behind of all other students

any thoughts/
thanks

I be interested in this also, any med students out there????

Colbert, where did you obtain the stats from? The stats look reasonable for a DO school, but I just don't want to give myself false hope. I know, I'm a pessimist. Thanks.

These were the stats given to us by the school during our orientation.

hi guys

any thoughts/
thanks

The posts you probably read were from our first couple days when there were a couple things that weren't quite ready (mostly the air conditioning), but the school is very well prepared. There were some minor glitches -unforeseen structural problems - but since those initial two weeks we've been cruising right along. Also, none of these things interfered with the academic program or class schedule, or have interfered since then.

The facilities are excellent. Everything in our building is completely brand new, from the chairs to the computers to the paint on the walls. We have a large library with a separate, adjacent computer room, and tons of individual "break out" rooms for small group study. There are also two student lounges with refrigerators, microwaves, and vending machines (and by next year there will be a functional cafeteria). The school is open until midnight every day so you can access all the resources, and our anatomy lab is staffed every single day for like 12 hours so you can work on your dissections and study gross anatomy at your convenience, with the guidance of one of our anatomy professors.

As far as clinical exposure, no, we don't interact with live patients during our first two years as far as I'm aware. I'm also unaware of too many schools that have very much clinical exposure during the first two years (but feel free to correct me, unlike the real Stephen Colbert I may occasionally make a mistake). In general, the first two years of medical school are based around the sciences and learning some aspects of clinical medicine, and the second two are really when you learn through clinical exposure. We do have a course not offered by most other schools that introduces us to the clinical aspects of medicine (insurance, social issues, current changes in medicine, etc) as well as a variety of other courses that teach us HOW to interact with the patient before we go in there poking and prodding them. You'll realize your first day that even talking to a patient and taking a history is much more difficult that you'd imagine and unless you know what you're doing there's really no point in live patient interactions (as opposed to instructors, who can guide and correct you). I also don't believe that this would put us at a disadvantage to other students (I'm not really sure what you meant by "behind" them).

Feel free to ask about anything or if you want me to elaborate further. Many of these questions could probably be better answered by the admissions office, so don't hesitate to call them either.

I see that interviews are starting up soon, so good luck to everyone that's coming!

hey everyone, just set my interview date for oct. 30

moving to ny would be big change and i'd love to see the new campus.
anyone have an opinion on touro-ny's reputation as a medical school compared to other school in the area?

I heard if you get accepted you have to let them know in 2 weeks, does anyone know if this is true? How long after interview do they notify you of acceptance????

Status
Not open for further replies.