Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If anyone has any questions about Touro I'm currently a fourth year applying for IM so I understand the resources available at our school. Feel free to PM with any specific q's.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This school is really stressing me out! I've been complete since the end of August with a 3.5cGPA, 3.4sGPA, and 28 MCAT and still have not heard back for an interview. I emailed and was told that my file is still under review and that IIs can be given out until May. I have a lot of ECs and am in state. Really hard as this is my first choice school....

II tuesday 11/5! anyone at the marriott monday night? lets get some grub!

Just received an II and scheduled for 11/4!! Extremely excited :)

Members don't see this ad :)
How long is the average wait for ii post complete email?

Does anyone know if Touro-CA allows for interfolio letters to be delivered electronically? I only have the option to do snail mail. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Touro-CA allows for interfolio letters to be delivered electronically? I only have the option to do snail mail. Thanks!
Not sure about interfolio, but they accepted virtualevals which makes me think they would also accept interfolio.

Despite the prestigious MCAT score, I had to turn this school's offer of acceptance down.

Would you mind sharing shy?
The campus did not appeal to me. Faculty was nice, but I feel like the area was not ideal to students. Was not a fan of the lottery system clinical years. The preclinical years seem great, but honestly I just didn't like the campus. The touro schools seem like they don't care much for the look of their schools or facilities, which I know doesn't matter much, but I'd rather go to a school that has both great curriculum and cares about its facilities. The lecture hall seemed like it was thrown together in a day in some back storage room. The final thing that sealed the deal for me was the 2 week window to pay your 2000 bucks after acceptance. The fact that MDs only make you pay 100-200 and other DOs give you more time to wait for other schools means something to me.

Just a reminder this is solely my opinion.

The campus did not appeal to me. Faculty was nice, but I feel like the area was not ideal to students. Was not a fan of the lottery system clinical years. The preclinical years seem great, but honestly I just didn't like the campus. The touro schools seem like they don't care much for the look of their schools or facilities, which I know doesn't matter much, but I'd rather go to a school that has both great curriculum and cares about its facilities. The lecture hall seemed like it was thrown together in a day in some back storage room. The final thing that sealed the deal for me was the 2 week window to pay your 2000 bucks after acceptance. The fact that MDs only make you pay 100-200 and other DOs give you more time to wait for other schools means something to me.

Thanks for sharing...

I had the same feeling about Mare Island and the city of Vallejo. I didn't like the industrial blight and isolation of the island. The fact that the student tour guide said, "The island is safe, but the city can be dangerous." is a serious red flag. Vallejo is a poorer city (kinda ghetto, like Compton but not as bad as Oakland). I heard from a Touro CA alumni that rotations are really limited, so that wasn't appealing either.

As for the facilities, Touro CA shows its age. The campus is a standard, older looking school. Touro Nevada is a new and pretty building. Touro NV is a giant warehouse of a building, so everything fits inside one building. BUT everything is NEW, so I definitely pick TUNCOM over TUCOM-CA.

I had the same feeling about Mare Island and the city of Vallejo. I didn't like the industrial blight and isolation of the island. The fact that the student tour guide said, "The island is safe, but the city can be dangerous." is a serious red flag. Vallejo is a poorer city (kinda ghetto, like Compton but not as bad as Oakland). I heard from a Touro CA alumni that rotations are really limited, so that wasn't appealing either.

As for the facilities, Touro CA shows its age. The campus is a standard, older looking school. Touro Nevada is a new and pretty building. Touro NV is a giant warehouse of a building, so everything fits inside one building. BUT everything is NEW, so I definitely pick TUNCOM over TUCOM-CA.
I don't understand what's with a lot of SDN disliking tucom because of the location. I'm not going to say the campus was beautiful, but my impression of the immediate surroundings is that you just don't act stupid at night. If you walk around the area, walk with someone else or a group of people. Maybe my perspective is how it is because of the undergrad location that I went to, but I believe that people are seriously over-dramatizing the risk of being in the area. A great deal of medicine is serving the underserved and underprivileged; I just cannot understand how some people are posting how they're posting.

What exactly was out of date about the school? The lecture hall that you're barely going to sit in because more than half the class studies from home?

They even have a squat rack in their gym. This is the only school I've been to whose gym wasn't built for curling.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am very welcoming for someone to change my opinion

Reactions: 3 users
I don't understand what's with a lot of SDN disliking tucom because of the location. I'm not going to say the campus was beautiful, but my impression of the immediate surroundings is that you just don't act stupid at night. If you walk around the area, walk with someone else or a group of people. Maybe my perspective is how it is because of the undergrad location that I went to, but I believe that people are seriously over-dramatizing the risk of being in the area. A great deal of medicine is serving the underserved and underprivileged; I just cannot understand how some people are posting how they're posting.

What exactly was out of date about the school? The lecture hall that you're barely going to sit in because more than half the class studies from home?

They even have a squat rack in their gym. This is the only school I've been to whose gym wasn't built for curling.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am very welcoming for someone to change my opinion

Vallejo is a city with higher than average crime rates, I checked city-data. Crime Vallejo ~500. Oakland ~800. Compton ~500. US average ~300. Irvine ~90 (Where I did undergrad and #1 safest city in the US according to the FBI) . The many of homes were built in the 1950s. It's standard suburban, lower-middle income type of area. The island had what seemed to be several abandoned warehouses. I don't think the naval yard is currently in operation. There are apartments in the island but no grocery stores. You'll have to go across the bridge and into the city, which is no big deal. The campus is a standard campus. Nothing special, but the anatomy lab has great ventilation. The building themselves are OLDER than 2004, when TUNCOM was established.

Really, I don't see any appeal to Touro CA over Touro NV. Touro NV is located in Henderson #8 safest city according to the FBI. Its one of two medical schools in the state of NV. There are plenty of opportunities to work with the under privileged because its just outside of Las Vegas.

Thinking about applying here but my stats are below average. Is it worth it this late in the cycle?

Thinking about applying here but my stats are below average. Is it worth it this late in the cycle?

Hmmm... If you have the money then do it. DO programs have longer app cycles then MD. Otherwise, I'd take my time to work/ save money and improve my app.

Vallejo is a city with higher than average crime rates, I checked city-data. Crime Vallejo ~500. Oakland ~800. Compton ~500. US average ~300. Irvine ~90 (Where I did undergrad and #1 safest city in the US according to the FBI) . The many of homes were built in the 1950s. It's standard suburban, lower-middle income type of area. The island had what seemed to be several abandoned warehouses. I don't think the naval yard is currently in operation. There are apartments in the island but no grocery stores. You'll have to go across the bridge and into the city, which is no big deal. The campus is a standard campus. Nothing special, but the anatomy lab has great ventilation. The building themselves are OLDER than 2004, when TUNCOM was established.

Really, I don't see any appeal to Touro CA over Touro NV. Touro NV is located in Henderson #8 safest city according to the FBI. Its one of two medical schools in the state of NV. There are plenty of opportunities to work with the under privileged because its just outside of Las Vegas.

Lol at comparing Vallejo to Irvine. Could not be more different. If you'd like to live somewhere more similar to Irvine consider Benicia, which is just a few exits down from Mare Island. And yeah the campus is nothing special, but all its buildings are actually historic landmarks so Touro cannot actually renovate them beyond a certain point so as to preserve their historic nature - this is the agreement they made when they bought the land.

Lol at comparing Vallejo to Irvine. Could not be more different. If you'd like to live somewhere more similar to Irvine consider Benicia, which is just a few exits down from Mare Island. And yeah the campus is nothing special, but all its buildings are actually historic landmarks so Touro cannot actually renovate them beyond a certain point so as to preserve their historic nature - this is the agreement they made when they bought the land.

If I want to live somewhere more similar to Irvine, I'd go to Henderson NV, location of Touro NV. Henderson is #8 safest city according to the FBI. Crime rate ~190. Oh yeah, and 15min drive from the strip........(WHOO VEGAS) ;)

But also, the buildings outside of the campus (ie giant warehouses) look old and abandoned. There is also alot of land reserved as a historical preservation spot, but I didnt actually go there. It's just what it is.

If I want to live somewhere more similar to Irvine, I'd go to Henderson NV, location of Touro NV. Henderson is #8 safest city according to the FBI. Crime rate ~190. Oh yeah, and 15min drive from the strip........(WHOO VEGAS) ;)

But also, the buildings outside of the campus (ie giant warehouses) look old and abandoned. There is also alot of land reserved as a historical preservation spot, but I didnt actually go there. It's just what it is.
Okay, thank you. I am sure you will make a wonderful contribution to Touro in Nevada :)

Anyone have any idea what the rate of acceptance is post-interview? is it fairly high or low? I've been looking up and down for these kinda stats to no avail

II!

Was complete 9/25. Soonest date offered was Dec 3.

Anyone have any idea what the rate of acceptance is post-interview? is it fairly high or low? I've been looking up and down for these kinda stats to no avail
I know one other person from my group who was accepted. I know two other people from my group who were waitlisted. Not sure about anyone else.

Will Touro-CA send a complete email when all materials are received? Or do we have to call Lynn to find out?

Yes it seems like those are petty reasons, but if you had the choice of a school that 1) has a safer location 2) has a nicer, more well kept together lecture hall, 3) nicer looking campus, 4) gives you 3 months to turn in a 1000-2000 dollar deposit instead of 2 WEEKS for a 2000 dollar deposit (that already says something about the way they think)..... It's very hard to turn down a school in those comparisons with equal curriculums and opportunities.

If touro was the only school I was admitted to in the west, I would obviously attend it, but when you have schools to compare, it's not so petty to look at such factors.

ACCEPTEDDDD!!!! My first acceptance of the cycle. I have no words for how happy I am right now. I will likely be matriculating here since it is only 2 hours from my home town.

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrawn. Hope my interview spot goes to someone here in sdn!

ACCEPTEDDDD!!!! My first acceptance of the cycle. I have no words for how happy I am right now. I will likely be matriculating here since it is only 2 hours from my home town.
Where's that?

July 23rd; I got skipped by I think and then they came back to me

Question: I was looking at the school's website and see that about 75% of the matriculants are CA residents. Why is there such a IS preference when the school isn't funded by the state? I just received a secondary and don't know if it's worth it for me to submit since I am not a CA resident.