Thomas Jefferson University - Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wow good luck with under 600$ a month... how do you plan to do that? are you living with someone?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm like nerv, trying to be as cheap as possible haha so i might just settle for barringer - living with a roommate (hopefully a compatible one!) - its close to jeff / safe for a girl / easy to meet people / makes my parents feel better inside lol. I think with everything included should be around 600/month.

wow good luck with under 600$ a month... how do you plan to do that? are you living with someone?

i'm pretty much going to do what ADN just said...maybe i'll find a good apartment nearby for my 2nd year and share it w/ my new friends since i don't really know anyone from philly right now

Members don't see this ad :)
wow where are you getting all this money from LOL. my budget is under 600/month

financial aid baby...WOOHOO KEGGER EVERY DAY!!!!

Just kidding, I don't know...c'mon, you live in OC too. I'm looking for a 2 bedroom/loft set-up so I can put an office/study in there. 2 bedrooms here go for ~$2k/mo. I dunno...I'm spoiled. I want wood floors, granite counter tops, and stainless steel appliances with in-house washer/dryer. Kind of narrows things down.

financial aid baby...WOOHOO KEGGER EVERY DAY!!!!

Just kidding, I don't know...c'mon, you live in OC too. I'm looking for a 2 bedroom/loft set-up so I can put an office/study in there. 2 bedrooms here go for ~$2k/mo. I dunno...I'm spoiled. I want wood floors, granite counter tops, and stainless steel appliances with in-house washer/dryer. Kind of narrows things down.

I agree with confetti. A lot of places around Center City looks crappy, I'd like to pay a bit more to live somewhere nice. I really want somewhere that I can hav peace of mind and feel save in. You need to pay a bit more to live in a nice/decent place. I've looked around too. Quite expensive. :thumbdown: Its ok, it IS pharmacy school. Might as well splurge more than you would normally for undergrad. :D Maybe we can be neighbors. hehe

OMG I freaking wish. they look so NICE. i wish i had more money. how old are you confetti? if you dont mind me asking

WOW those places are really nice! confetti isn't too old... he's just willing to spend haha.

yea. im 22. i think my rents would have a fit if i lived with my sig other. I dont think I want to anyway. I would live in the city but no roomies yet.

my friend wants to do east falls/manyunk so i guess ill do that for the first year, save some money, and then move into the city once ive met some people. I'd much rather be walking distnce but ill commute for now.

im hoping to take out a less than 10,000$ loan for the first year since i've been working for a year. I have no clue about money though. ive never taken a loan before.

I'm approaching 25, haha... I think the most lavish I've spent on housing was my 2nd year of college, I lived in a beach house down in Newport for the year. The rent wasn't too bad... it was maybe $2100/mo, but we got kicked out every summer when the tourists came and it became $2100/week.

This was about the time when "The OC" came on tv, hahaha.

and $10k for the first year? I hope you have $30,000 sitting in a bank account somewhere. Tuition alone is $26k, even if you live in a dump for $500/mo, that's still another $5k or so. Don't forget food, beer, and strippers.

Yea that about what I hope to have lol ... but I did forget the strippers ;o) I really wanna find a place and get that out of the way but its so annoying ... all the places posted on craigslist are "available now" or May 1. Doesnt anyone think ahead? Where are the properties that will be available for July and Aug? I think I'm gonna skip that financial aid thing next sat too. someone said I should just schedule a 1 on 1 with the fin. advisor.

No one is gonna have listings available until June/July, this is because current tenants typically give 30 days notice to their landlords.

Man... those apts are hella nice... Too bad... they're way out of my price range...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm kind of confused... is our orientation Aug 12 or Sept 2?

Any idea about University City or Upper Darby? Rent for these two places are pretty cheap!

pretty sure upper darby is ghetto. dont know about university city.

and I saw the august 12th dateon the orientation website... but on this paper i got in the mail it says sept 2?

http://www.jefferson.edu/jchp/studentlife/orientation.cfm

Pharmacy and MAKE-UP Orientation (for all other programs)
Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Time: 8:00am-5:00pm
Location: Bluemle Life Sciences Building Lobby (10th & Locust Street)
The online RSVP system will become available once your orientation packets are sent in the mail to you (approximately four weeks prior to your orientation).

Welcome Day
Date: Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Time: 8:45am-5:00pm
The online RSVP system will become available once your orientation packets are sent in the mail to you (approximately four weeks prior to your orientation).

NOTE: Geisinger Campus ASN students should plan on attending the Welcome Day program at their respective campus (Danville).
For information please contact Diana Davis at [email protected].

Why they have a such early orientation if the class start at 9/2?
I plan to move there in the last week of August:scared::scared::scared:

for the record, you do not need a bachelors degree to get accepted to JSOP (even if you stated this on your application). i confirmed w/ Stephen Doll

Any idea about University City or Upper Darby? Rent for these two places are pretty cheap!

Univ. City is far...well, if you're looking to walk that is. Plus, you're competing with all the UPenn students for good housing.

so is that date right? is our orientation on aug 12?

Oh, no
I need to buy one more round ticket
:mad::mad::mad:

Univ. City is far...well, if you're looking to walk that is. Plus, you're competing with all the UPenn students for good housing.

Can I take public transportations to downtown from University city?:p

Yes. There are at least 2 or 3 buses that run right along Walnut street (the major street much of Jefferson is along) fairly frequently right into the UCity area AND there is the green line (trolley that runs just 2 blocks off of Walnut) that goes to UCity. For the bus, it takes about 15-20 minutes I'd say to get from one are to the other general area. I live in Philly currently and was considering looking at Ucity as there is a lot of rental property and it is generally cheaper. Now, depending on WHERE you live in UCity it could take longer to reach your ultimate destination.
Upper Darby, I believe, is a good GOOD deal further out. You'd basically have to take one of the trains.

has anyone taken the hipaa and/or safety quiz? it says i'm either not authorized to do it or i'm not logged on (which i am). is anyone else having problems with this?

has anyone taken the hipaa and/or safety quiz? it says i'm either not authorized to do it or i'm not logged on (which i am). is anyone else having problems with this?

I'm having the same issue, but have yet to contact the school about it. Maybe it's just not up yet... or too soon for us to do it? I dunno. I'll try to contact the school on my next day off, unless someone gets to it first.

so does anyone know what the deal is with the technology at jeff? like will our lecture be available on mp3 online and stuff or notes etc?

so have you guys gotten your health insurence? if yes which one? and what kind of laptops are you guys getting?

I'm going to stick to paper/pen for the first semester, and gauge whether or not a new laptop/tablet is in order (my old iBook still runs great).

As for health insurance, I'm still covered by my employer (CVS)...I probably won't select a new plan until July or so.

So what are we supposed to do between August 12th ad September 2nd? Do we move in to dorms in August or September? This is weird... well if we have the 3 weeks off .. is anyone plannig on staying in philly? I am willing to go travel to NY or go on a cruise or something...maybe deep sea fishing.. anyone interested?

So what are we supposed to do between August 12th ad September 2nd? Do we move in to dorms in August or September? This is weird... well if we have the 3 weeks off .. is anyone plannig on staying in philly? I am willing to go travel to NY or go on a cruise or something...maybe deep sea fishing.. anyone interested?

Sounds so appealing. But I need to work until the last day to raise money for tuition:scared::scared::scared:

i wud think its a good idea to setle in your new home get to know the area...get to know some new people and become comfortable in living there so u dont have to deal with that when ur starting clases...thats wht i am doing :)

ok ok

Last edited:
so does anyone know what the deal is with the technology at jeff? like will our lecture be available on mp3 online and stuff or notes etc?

i wud think they have power point for us and if there is no mp3 and u really want it record lectures...:)
i dont know for sure.

I agree with Think. I want to be to exploring the surrounding areas of our school and where I plan on living. Figure out where the grocery stores are and what not.

I'm Vietnamese, so I need to find a local place that sells Fish Sauce and serves Pho.

In terns of Health Insurance, the one the school is offering costs and arm an a leg, so I'm still trying to narrow down and outside one that meets all of the school's requirements.

For school loans, since I won't be working and I want to be able to eat things beyond top ramen, I 'm looking at over $40k, closer to $44k or $45k. I ended up doing my loans through Wells Fargo.

Well, if anyone is still around after Orientation we should definitely hang.

I'm borrowing about $44k for the first year...first year is always the most expensive. The insurance the school offers is WAY too expensive. IBX had the better deal, I think I might go with that one. Oaktown--I still haven't research eHealthinsurance yet, but I will soon.

As for the trains/subways...are you not living within walking distance? My friend lived in philly for years, and she didn't get mugged until moving to California. Haha. Just don't be stupid in the train system and you should be okay.

As for working up until pharm school....I'm quitting in June at my pharmacy so I can relax and chill before school starts. The extra couple hundred dollars I will make won't do anything when I'm facing $44k in debt first year alone.

I'm looking to owe close to 200k anyway. :hungover: Whether it's +/- 20K won't make a huge difference. Four years of school, might as well make it an awesome 4 years and not worry about money or crappy living arrangements. :)

LOL Oaktown - you can find a few decent pho places in chinatown which is near jeff (Nothing compares to pho in santa ana though). Not sure about groceries... you might have to go down to washington ave. - theres more viet people around there.
Are you guys borrowing from banks? if so... are you signing up for it now or are you guys waiting for the award letter from jeff to see how much is covered under stafford etc?

I would like to explore the city and get comfortable with downtown philly but are we allowed to move into the dorms in August if we are requesting a room from school? I wasn't sure when we could move into the dorms. If i need to find a place from the day of orientation to welcome day, that's gonna cost at least 1000 just for room and food. I would rather double that and travel or go have fun. But if we can move into the dorms in August, then I am down to hang out in Philly!

Jefferson offers temporary housing...search for that. One month is like $800 or so.

I'm borrowing about $44k for the first year...first year is always the most expensive. The insurance the school offers is WAY too expensive. IBX had the better deal, I think I might go with that one. Oaktown--I still haven't research eHealthinsurance yet, but I will soon.

As for the trains/subways...are you not living within walking distance? My friend lived in philly for years, and she didn't get mugged until moving to California. Haha. Just don't be stupid in the train system and you should be okay.

As for working up until pharm school....I'm quitting in June at my pharmacy so I can relax and chill before school starts. The extra couple hundred dollars I will make won't do anything when I'm facing $44k in debt first year alone.

do u have the website for the ibx?
and where are the requirements for the health insurance listed on the jefferson website?

i dont want to live in center city plus the housing is too expensive that jefferson offers

its always a risk to take expensive things on subways even though i am not easily mugged at all...lol

Are you guys borrowing from banks? if so... are you signing up for it now or are you guys waiting for the award letter from jeff to see how much is covered under stafford etc?

hmmmm i dont wanna get involved with the banks but i will need to borrow from them if jefferson doesnt cover for my living expenses etc. how easy is it to get loan from banks? and do u know how much the banks will give students?
do u guys know when we will get the award letters from jeff.?( so i can see how much more i need to take out)

I agree with Think. I want to be to exploring the surrounding areas of our school and where I plan on living. Figure out where the grocery stores are and what not.

I'm Vietnamese, so I need to find a local place that sells Fish Sauce and serves Pho.

In terns of Health Insurance, the one the school is offering costs and arm an a leg, so I'm still trying to narrow down and outside one that meets all of the school's requirements.

For school loans, since I won't be working and I want to be able to eat things beyond top ramen, I 'm looking at over $40k, closer to $44k or $45k. I ended up doing my loans through Wells Fargo.

Well, if anyone is still around after Orientation we should definitely hang.

how did u alreday do your loans? i have no idea how this loaning system works...i thought we had to wait for jeff to give us an answer after we submit the fafsa.

oh and sorry i cant help u with that food stuff....im so bad i cant even say it right :laugh:

i am going to do some research on the health insurance so what ever i get i will post it here...if u guys get something decent let us know

and if anyone went to the financial aid on Saturday can u update us on what was discussed and/or what was given to u .
thanx

this might be a dumb question but what exactly will an "award letter" from jeff contain? all ive done so far is fill out fafsa. ive never taken a loan before and have no idea what im doing

ok so i've had numerous discussions with a number of people and i'm still having the toughest decision in deciding between Maryland or Thomas Jefferson.

My main reasons for wanting to attend Maryland is for its reputation, hands down. They have one of the nations highest NAPLEX passing rates. Also, they offer dual-degrees, which means more flexibility with what you want to achieve on top of your pharmd degree. Lastly, there's a possibility where i can try to gain in-state tuition after a couple years. A downfall is that I'll be attending the off-site campus in Rockville and will be pretty much receiving a good amount of my instructions online. Also, there's not many Walgreens nearby and I would like to continue to work for them.

I love Jefferson for the fact that it's Jefferson! haha I was blown away by the city, location and hospital. Because it's a new program, I feel that as a student, we would have a stronger support system (from both the faculty and students) in wanting to help each other succeed. Also, I like that Dean Finley is finding innovative ways to develop the program, wanting to work closely with the different disciplines and making pharmacists a greater role in the healthcare industry in caring for patients (ie. working with the doctors). In addition, the university provides a lot of resources for having their very own hospital and they're equipped with new technology (remember that huge new building we saw on the tour??). Lastly, I have relatives in NJ, so that would be more assuring for me to have family nearby, since this will be my first time moving outside of Florida. Some negative aspects about the TJU is the obvious...that it's a new program and with new programs, there's always a chance for problems to occur, whether it's with sufficient faculty staffing, course offerings, or even how to completely prepare us for our NAPLEX exam. Also, I will miss having a car! :(

Anyways, for those that read through my whole entire rant...please dear lord help me make a decision! i will greatly appreciate it! hahaha, thank you!

PS. OAKTOWNBOY, i'm sure you'll find a bunch of good viet places. i love me some pho too haha.

Good Luck making your decision. It was a tough call for me, I believe in the end, I'm making the right one.

Hopefully, you'll be joining us at Thomas Jefferson.

If you do decide on going to Univ. of Maryland instead, Best of Luck to ya.