Thomas Jefferson University - Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ey are with grad programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey oaktown i remember seeing your stats and thinking that's really close to mine. i went to Cal too. I came out with crappy GPA but pretty good PCAT. i graduated may 06. did you graduate the same year?

Hehe... I wish I graduated in 06...lol But no... i actually graduated in 04 doing MCB. Which major did you do?

Has everyone finished their financial aid process yet? All these lending choices... I think I'm gonna go with Wells Fargo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait...are they already letting us choose our lender? I didn't get anything from Jefferson about financial aid, and I sent everything in.

so now r u gona wait for temple or take jefferson, wht wud u have piked if i get acepted to both ??

Between the two, I would say Jefferson!! Like you, I don't have a good reason either.. I just go with my feeling..
I was put on waitlist at Temple anyway, so I don't have to worry about choosing now. I don't like the interview, bigger class, and the area. I believe you will get more attention at Jeff. .. Plus, tuition will be the same anyway for us (out-of-state student)

Just wondering... so when is everyone going to move to Philly for those who will be living on campus?

I'm a 4th year here at Jefferson, if I can give you one piece of advice, avoid Jefferson housing (Orlowitz and Barringer), especially Orlowitz at all costs. The following pertains to the Orlowitz Building:

1. The company that runs the apartment buildings owns/runs several building in Philly and it is my opinion they could care less about Jefferson student housing. I feel they know it is convenient, first years are promised a spot, and the rent is comparable and in some cases, slightly cheaper than other options in the area, but trust me, you will regret it.

2. There are mice in the basement (laundry floor) of Orlowitz and classmates on the lower floors have had rodent problems in the past.

3. The heating, while supposedly being fixed with a new system, is a major issue. It typically malfunctions a few times a year. This winter was the worse. For 3 weeks this winter, when it was 30 degrees during the days in the 20s/teens at night, the heating was not working properly. The way they handled the situation was horrible. They paid for you to stay in a Holiday Inn Express for a night if your room was cold, but you had to check out every morning, come back to your place, and if the heat still was not on (which it wasn't), you had to request the Holiday Inn again, spend the night, then check out again. I had a easy rotation and my unit held up relatively ok, but it was a major inconvenience, I can't imagine how bad this was if you had a demanding schedule (which is typical). Most people just used extra blankets at night because the Holiday Inn thing was a major inconvenience, especially with the time constraints in medical school and your life is in your apt. Also, PMC (Philadelphia Management Company) sent out a notice something to the gist of they expect all rent and won't be giving any discounts. Some students talked to some Jeff administrators about the heating issue. The Jeff administrators responded with a letter more or less stating the school was concerned, but PMC told them (the adminsitrators) stay away from the building (Jeff doesn't own the building).

4. Several units have problems with hot water in the showers at times.

5. Management has become more responsive over the last year or two, but if anything goes wrong in your apartment, you might have to ask 3, 4, 5 times to get something done. It has happened to me on more than one occasion.

6. There are 3 elevators there are several times 1 of them is broken or not working properly.

7. The plumbing must be horrible, there are several water shut downs per year for a few hours at a time. To their credit, we usually get advanced warning about this.

8. The heating/ac system is being overhauled, but this requires them to do work in your apartment, which could cause a major disturbance, if only for a short while. Believe me, when you are trying to pass anatomy, you won't want this.

I'm sure I could write more, most of the students at Jeff would probably agree with me. The building is a lot of 1st and 2nd years med students along with some students in other schools (PT, nursing, etc.), but there are a good amount of 3rd and 4th year students - I would say most of us have stayed despite the short comings because of the convenience of living across from the hospital and many of our our clinical sights AND the fact that we are settled here, the inconvenience of moving and finding another apartment was a huge issue for me as well. I really have loved my time at Jefferson, it is a great school, but I seriously would reconsider living here if you have the option to live somewhere else.

Ok, sorry to upset anyone, hopefully you don't cross off this school because of housing, Jeff is a great place to go to school.

Don't worry...I was similarly unimpressed by the housing, in fact even turned off. I was able to find even nicer housing for the same price point in the area. My tour guide gave it to me straight (plumbing and heating issues, and all) and even showed me her apartment.

Hehe... I wish I graduated in 06...lol But no... i actually graduated in 04 doing MCB. Which major did you do?

I was MCB also. CDB emphasis. We might have seen each other around. I stayed at Cal for 5 years but came out with one major. sad.... oh well. i guess i just gotta concentrate now.

I was MCB also. CDB emphasis. We might have seen each other around. I stayed at Cal for 5 years but came out with one major. sad.... oh well. i guess i just gotta concentrate now.

Maybe...lol I was around for 4.5 years... hehe CDB was just the easier of the the different options for MCB.

anyone else have to take any classes over the summer for jeff? I have to take anatomy and its almost impossible to find a 4 credit strictly anatomy class in this area (chester county pa) Any suggestions? DC3 is totally full and I didnt see it at any other schools. only anatomy and physiology I and II 4 credits each. I really dont wanna take 8 credits and 2 summer courses just for anatomy :oops:(

i'm taking both anatomy and physiology...
the schedule for one of the schools i might taking it at is:

9am - 3pm (anatomy+lab), 5pm - 11pm (physiology + lab)....nope, it's not a typo.
i'm just glad it's only 4 days a week for 6 weeks...

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else have to take any classes over the summer for jeff? I have to take anatomy and its almost impossible to find a 4 credit strictly anatomy class in this area (chester county pa) Any suggestions? DC3 is totally full and I didnt see it at any other schools. only anatomy and physiology I and II 4 credits each. I really dont wanna take 8 credits and 2 summer courses just for anatomy :oops:(

Penn State has a 4 credit anatomy. I don't know if its offered at satellite campuses, though.

Just curious if anyone asked about getting an intern license now.

Soo....I'm debating whether I should:

a) fly out there in july to look for--and secure--a place to live (probably stay 4-5 days). Fly back to California, then fly back again in august to move/for orientation.

or

b) fly out there at the beginning of august, live out of a hotel or something (maybe one of you will be out there already?), and hopefully find a place to live after I get out there.

Flight will set me back about $310 (AA), hotel will probably set me back $450. I'm crunching numbers...it'll end up being a wash I think. What do you all think? Anyone there wanna let me crash in August while I apartment hunt? :)

I would think you're better off doing the hotel thing bc what if you don't find an apartment within the 4-5days you're here?

Ok I think I'm just gonna fly there in August and then find a place for September. TJU offers short term housing for students...

http://www.jefferson.edu/housing/ShortTermRates.cfm

It's something like $815/mo for your own room, or $555 if you share it. Anyone want to share it who is in the same boat as me?

it's probably cheaper for me to wait and see what sublet opportunities there are, but it's good to know there is this option. Everything is fully furnished too.

I don't think those will satisfy the requirement at TJU? I usually go to ehealth for high deductible plans. I haven't looked into it though...hmmm, I'm healthy and broke so that's all I really need.

Ok I just checked, TJU requires Rx drug coverage on the plan and none of the ehealthinsurance plans offer Rx coverage. So yeah, no go on the above site. I think the best deal is still IBX -- Independence Blue Cross at ~$140/mo.

Ok I just checked, TJU requires Rx drug coverage on the plan and none of the ehealthinsurance plans offer Rx coverage. So yeah, no go on the above site. I think the best deal is still IBX -- Independence Blue Cross at ~$140/mo.

Are you sure they dont' offer Rx coverage? I just looked at a plan that offers $15 for gen, $30 for brand, and $60 for non-pref. and the plan is about $94 a month provided thfough unitedhealth.

Are you sure they dont' offer Rx coverage? I just looked at a plan that offers $15 for gen, $30 for brand, and $60 for non-pref. and the plan is about $94 a month provided thfough unitedhealth.

hmm what are you putting? I'm searching under full time student, CA is perm. address, PA is school address. I'll look again later when I get off work...thanks for the heads up!

I'm not terrified - just annoyed I have to get so many things done! like chickenpox titer, hep B, TB (w/ X-ray) bc i was born outside of US. ughhhhh so expensive!!!

Hey, did you all realize theres no dining hall at jeff? that sucks! I hate having to cook everyday... ordering is expensive + fattening.

I'm not terrified - just annoyed I have to get so many things done! like chickenpox titer, hep B, TB (w/ X-ray) bc i was born outside of US. ughhhhh so expensive!!!

Do they have health clinic at your school? It might be cheaper there.:)
I am thinking about doing my physical there. However, it is done by NP(nurse practitioner), so I don't know if it's acceptable.

Yeah.. I need that X-ray too because I am born outside US and tested false positive before ..:)

I'm planning to go to the state's clinic nearby.. should be cheaper. I hope I can get the physical there. Most of the time you see your NP when you visit the doctor's office so it should be fine.

hmm what are you putting? I'm searching under full time student, CA is perm. address, PA is school address. I'll look again later when I get off work...thanks for the heads up!

my bad yo. This stuff is so confusing. How did you get a quote for ibx? I keep trying to find a link to do so... but am unable to.

Ok... so I called up ehealthinsurance, so for those in cali, I found a decent plan, that works for both in cali and in Philly. It's through Aetna. It's called the "CA MC 2500" plan if you wanna check it out. It's about $84. a month.

I'm planning to go to the state's clinic nearby.. should be cheaper. I hope I can get the physical there. Most of the time you see your NP when you visit the doctor's office so it should be fine.

do you guys know how much this stuff will cost roughly?

the criminal background check is 77 dollars!

hey is everyone online? let's all pop into a chatroom, haha

Is everyone still planning on living in the apartments or finding off campus housing?

did you guys know for the apartments, u need to pay for electricity, phone, and cable tv separately - through each provider? Its really NOT like student housing... more like off campus pain in the butt housing.

my bad yo. This stuff is so confusing. How did you get a quote for ibx? I keep trying to find a link to do so... but am unable to.

I had to register an account with IBX and I just faked a PA address using the school...then I got the quote, yeah, I guess you gotta wait til you get an address. I'll look into the ehealth plan though.

Is everyone still planning on living in the apartments or finding off campus housing?

did you guys know for the apartments, u need to pay for electricity, phone, and cable tv separately - through each provider? Its really NOT like student housing... more like off campus pain in the butt housing.

Lol...c'mon anny, that's how it is now living in the real world!! If a pt gave you 3 Rx's, do you put them all in the same bottle? :p

You and your spoiled self living at home, hmphhh!

Lol. Well its called student housing so everything should be included like my old university's housing system (and probably most other schools too right?). Jeff's apartment seems to be exactly like off campus housing w/o the hassle of finding it yourself. And from the other poster concerning problems with management... i'm more hessitant to live in these apartments. I'm even considering commuting! isn't that sad?

I love living at home.. i dont have to cook! and whats up with no dining hall? seriously! is this a university? lol jk, i love jeff.

I think regardless of all the concerns that have been brought up about housing, I believe people are flocking towards it because it saves you the hassle of actually having to search for housing and the proximity it is to our lecture hall and everything else.

It's even more difficult if you're flying in from out of town (like most of us Californians). We don't have the luxury of flying in once to check out apts in the area, and again to move in and get ready for school.

Lol. Well its called student housing so everything should be included like my old university's housing system (and probably most other schools too right?). Jeff's apartment seems to be exactly like off campus housing w/o the hassle of finding it yourself. And from the other poster concerning problems with management... i'm more hessitant to live in these apartments. I'm even considering commuting! isn't that sad?

I love living at home.. i dont have to cook! and whats up with no dining hall? seriously! is this a university? lol jk, i love jeff.

hah i thought you were talking about the off campus apartments, i was gonna say...of course you need to set up your own stuff!

So the on campus apt's don't hvae centralized billing? What the hey!

I've been seeing a lot of nice properties for rent in Philly for a good price...I'm not doing any more research since it's too early right now and anything I find will be gone by August.

hah i thought you were talking about the off campus apartments, i was gonna say...of course you need to set up your own stuff!

So the on campus apt's don't hvae centralized billing? What the hey!

I've been seeing a lot of nice properties for rent in Philly for a good price...I'm not doing any more research since it's too early right now and anything I find will be gone by August.

Hey where are some good properties to rent near the school? Well I have been trying to search and the things I came up with is some condos in center city (some of them are maybe within 10 blocks away so I guess walking is ok).. have you been looking at things that are within train commute distance? If so, where are most of them located?

I'm looking at walking distance apartments (max distance = rittenhouse square, i think that's what it's called) and condos for rent mostly via craigslist. I look at real estate sites too that have properties for rent. I found some nice lofts near Reading terminal for about $1800/mo.

I'm looking at walking distance apartments (max distance = rittenhouse square, i think that's what it's called) and condos for rent mostly via craigslist. I look at real estate sites too that have properties for rent. I found some nice lofts near Reading terminal for about $1800/mo.

The neighborhood where the school is located is called Washington Square West. If you do CraigsList searches, you may want to use the search terms:

Washington Square
Wash Sq
Washington Sq
Wash Square

They yield different results based on how they were entered.

Good luck finding somewhere!! There's a lot available now, though, so hopefully it won't be too difficult.

Yup i'm also looking on craigslist. I just google map jefferson and then check these apt's locations to see how close it is to Jefferson. you can also type in "Jefferson" in the search box.

I also got the acceptance letter last Friday so I guess I'll pass Temple and go Jefferson. But I have a problem on Microbiology. I took a 4 quarter Microbiology course which include lab already, is there any place I can take 2 higher level Microbiology Class? I still own 2 quarter hours.:(:(:(

Anyone goin to the financial aid thing apr 5?

Peas, i'm planning to go. Lets see how much debt we'll have... fun!

Peas, i'm planning to go. Lets see how much debt we'll have... fun!

I wanted to attend... but being so far away.. I really couldn't. Please let the rest of us know how it goes.

!!! you are willing to pay 1800/mo. for APT? ... i thought 850 was pushing it...
i guess we are on different budget.. or are you looking to move in with someone?

yea im looking in the manayunk area with my friend from college. it seems like you can find places for about 500$-600$ for 2 BR places ... that was about the cheapest and doesnt include utilities, but we're still looking. I dont wanna move till july or aug. The train ride says its about 30 min which i dont think would be too bad bc if you arent driving you can study during that time, and it seems like our classes schedule is straight through the day except for lunch so hopefully there wouldnt be too many big breaks where id be stuck on campus for hours.

... and I play bball with a bunch of guys out in coatesville once a week. and I played 3 times a week with guys from my class during undergrad.. but im a girl so i dont know if that makes a difference to you...

... and yes i think 1800$ is crazy. I am too poor for that. You could buy a house with that payment per month. the highest I really want to go is like $800 but im not looking in the city. in the city maybe a grand a month.

but to the people discussing healthcare. if you live in PA ( im not sure if prices depend on what state youre in) I pay $107 for united healthcare and it includes prescriptions (still kind of expensive)... 25$ copays for doc visits and they pay 80% of doc bills. it doesnt include vision and dental but offers discounts to certain dental/vision places in the your area.

!!! you are willing to pay 1800/mo. for APT? ... i thought 850 was pushing it...
i guess we are on different budget.. or are you looking to move in with someone?

yeah split with the sig. other....the most i want to pay is $900-1000/mo.