Thomas Jefferson University - Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm planning to work just once a month to stay active with CVS.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think I'm gonna work in the beginning. I really want to focus on my studies. Maybe I'll try to pick up a p/t job afterwards.

Hey everyone, kinda new here (obviously) but yea I thought I'd say hello to everyone because...I just got accepted to Jefferson! Wooooooooooooooooo :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I also heard that if you have a degree you aren't eligible for grants from FAFSA, only loans... is that true? I have no idea how i'm going to pay for this yet...jeff is like 8 grand more than temple but im gonna make it work somehow!
From what I heard, you or anyone won't be eligible for grants because pharmacy school is considered as "graduate school". Loans are the only sources (subsidized or unsubsidized)
Well, if you are out-of-state people like me, tuition fee at Jeff and Temple is about the same...

I'm planning to work just once a month to stay active with CVS.

Once a month? I thought you had to work once a week to stay active with CVS.

I wonder if Jefferson will sign off on my California intern license now...so I can get the CA intern rate of $15/hr and have that wage transferred over to PA which has a much lower rate. This is what my pharmacist who went to Boston recommended. Hmm...anyone else planning to ask?

Anybody work for Walgreens in here?
I don't know about CVS, but for Walgreens, they won't start paying you as an intern until you are actually attending classes at a pharmacy school.
Btw, does anyone know what is the total cost of attendance for Jefferson?

Once a month? I thought you had to work once a week to stay active with CVS.

I wonder if Jefferson will sign off on my California intern license now...so I can get the CA intern rate of $15/hr and have that wage transferred over to PA which has a much lower rate. This is what my pharmacist who went to Boston recommended. Hmm...anyone else planning to ask?

I'm gonna try to get the school to sign off on my CA intern license request ASAP... cuz it's such a lengthy process to get it... the finger printing and the waiting period...

And in terms of our wage as an intern... i thought it was more then $15/hr. It has to be more then what a tech makes... and on average... techs make between $15 to 18 per hr here... I guess it depends on which pharmacy you work for.

i got a quick question
for those of u that will not be getting your undergraduate degree...did ur acceptance letter that u got say that "..You must substantiate prereq and undergraduate degree completion by submitting official academic transcripts...."
im almost panicking cause i wont be getting my degree and it says this on my letter...plz respond ....

Think, my letter says the same as yours and I already have my BS degree.

Confetti, according to my CVS manager, for students, you just need to work once a month to stay active in the computer system - just so I wouldn't have to go through the application process again if I want to work after not working for a long time. She said I can also choose to take "leave" so I wouldn't have to work for say 6months and still be active in the computer system. Maybe its just a NJ-CVS thing?

Hey think,
It says the same thing on my letter. I don't think you have to have a degree to attend Jefferson, although I already have a Bachelor's. Just as long as you complete all the prerequisite courses, then you should be fine. If you have any incomplete prereq courses, then it should be listed under the "Prerequisite Credit Agreement" sheet.

i got a quick questiondid ur acceptance letter that u got say that "..You must substantiate prereq and undergraduate degree completion by submitting official academic transcripts...."...panicking ....
To think:
My acceptance letter also has that exact same sentence, and I already had BS 2 years ago... I think it's a general message to everyone. You can call Karen/admission to verify if undergraduate degree is required.. But I think they mainly go by the pre-req worksheet that Ms. Karen attached to the acceptance e-mail.

think,

if you call to very--could you please let us know what she says? i am wondering the same thing

im kinda scared to even ask....the weekend is gona kill me...but i have a very strong feeling that this letter is actually the same sent to everyone that was accepted..since 2(nirav) of us have that on our letters i dont think its anything serious...they just sent the same letter without really checking....they probably didnt think we would read EVERY SINGLE WORD very very carefully.....lol
so u guys have this mistake on your letter in the 2nd line of the letter it says "...Doctor of Pharmacy program in at Thomas Jefferson..."

Members don't see this ad :)
and thanx ADN, ladifantisy, RNtoPharmd and nerv....cause of ur replies i wont have a heartattack now...i love u guys and sdn!!! :)

There were mistakes all up and down my prerequisite requirement sheets, no big deal...the semester/quarter thing throws me off too. I just emailed Karen J. Astle and she verified that I completed the prerequisites, she's really nice. She might be busy though, so a reply might take a little while.

ADN....for CVS, yeah, I plan on doing the "away from leave" status with the system and then talking to the intern person that my trainer told me to contact. I really don't want to work that much...haha, but we'll see. Maybe we can both work at the CVS right next to the school?

oaktown.... Okay, I'll e-mail Stephen Doll about asking the dean to sign off on my intern paperwork. For some reason, I expect a rejection, citing that we have to start classes first...but we'll see. As for intern pay rate...it's probably higher up in the bay area. I THINK they're paying interns $15-$16 for P-1 here in so-cal. Techs make about $12-$14 DOE in my district.

Pay rate for interns goes up $1 each year you are in school. I think once you graduate, but are awaiting sitting for NAPLEX, the rate is $20/hr.

P.S. this is the site I found for insurance... http://www.ibx.com/index.jsp I used the school's address to register so I could find the plan premium, which was <$150/mo, much cheaper than my COBRA option or that Jefferson-Chickering plan they're offering.

oaktown.... Okay, I'll e-mail Stephen Doll about asking the dean to sign off on my intern paperwork. For some reason, I expect a rejection, citing that we have to start classes first...but we'll see. As for intern pay rate...it's probably higher up in the bay area. I THINK they're paying interns $15-$16 for P-1 here in so-cal. Techs make about $12-$14 DOE in my district.

Pay rate for interns goes up $1 each year you are in school. I think once you graduate, but are awaiting sitting for NAPLEX, the rate is $20/hr.

I guess the pay rate up in norcal is higher. I was talking to my boss and he told me when he was an intern 5 yrs ago, he was getting about $18 per hour. He told me that as a after graduating, he was making around $33 as an intern.. until he passed the boards and was making close to $60 per hour.

Hey all...don't forget, fin-aid applications are due March 17.

i am on the TJU bannerweb looking at my financial aid status and this is what it says:

Federal Subsidized Stafford Master Promissory Note (MPN) Not Received
Signed Copy of Parents 2007 Federal Tax Return Not Received
Signed Copy of Student's 2007 Fed. 1040 or Nonfiling form Not Received
Subsidized Stafford Loan Amount application Not Received
TJU Institutional Financial Aid Application Not Received
Verification Worksheet Not Received
You must complete a Federally Required Entrance Interview Not Received

are there any other forms that must be completed? (aside from FAFSA...which i have already completed)
financial aid stuff always confuses me..

i am on the TJU bannerweb looking at my financial aid status and this is what it says:

Federal Subsidized Stafford Master Promissory Note (MPN) Not Received
Signed Copy of Parents 2007 Federal Tax Return Not Received
Signed Copy of Student's 2007 Fed. 1040 or Nonfiling form Not Received
Subsidized Stafford Loan Amount application Not Received
TJU Institutional Financial Aid Application Not Received
Verification Worksheet Not Received
You must complete a Federally Required Entrance Interview Not Received

are there any other forms that must be completed? (aside from FAFSA...which i have already completed)
financial aid stuff always confuses me..

I've done everything so far except mail in my 1040 form and sign an MPN. You can do everything via bannerweb. Check your jeffmail for the reminder email, it'll have a link and list of all the things you need to do.

for the signed copy of the income tax form,, do we just send it via post mail to the financial aid office -- is there any kind of accompanied form that we need to print out or anything?

Anybody on here having problems accessing their campus key? Some reason... it's not recognizing my ssn... and IT was no help.

ok i just got accepted to temple!!!! now this sucks....how do i decide between the two???????

the accredation is somethng im looking at but i dont know.....i really liked jefferson when i went there

oh and abt that "degree completition" they said if u dont have a degree then it doesnt apply to u...
and i asked abt tuition its 26,500 plus some fees per year. :)

oh and abt that "degree completition" they said if u dont have a degree then it doesnt apply to u...

huh?? that doesn't make sense...couldn't we all just decide NOT get our degrees and then say it doesn't apply to us?

thanks for asking about the fees!! i've been wanting to know forever but was too lazy to call haha.

temple is in a dangerous area, or that's what this random UPenn student i talked with on the subway said. on accreditation alone, i'd pick temple...but then again i never saw the place.

yeh temple is in a dangerous area but not thats bad around the school...nothing really hapens around the school ALOT of ppl i know go there...
temple is really good but they are like careless abt their students since they know they are set for another 100 years..they are like proud...u know what i mean
jefferson i just felt good abt it..it was organized and jsut nice...

so any other suggestions??

and nerv- maybe i didnt say is clearly.. wat they told me was that since i was suppose to get my degree in 2009 and i am accepted to pharm school for 2008 i wont have my degree but on my letter i got it said something abt the degree completion... so now, that sentance wont apply to me since they are accepting me knowing the fact that i wont have a degree..and they said its a general message and a standard letter that goes to everyone...
if u are suppose to get a degree by spring or summer of 2008 then u have to send in your stuff... but if u were not suppose to get it by 2008 then u ignore that sentance ( i dont think this is any clearer..but i am trying man!...lol)

oh and i am not gona call stephan for a long time now...cause i have been bothering him too much...now its someone elses turn( he even recognizes my voice now) lol

ok i just got accepted to temple!!!! now this sucks....how do i decide between the two???????

Congratulation! Think. I haven't heard anything from Temple yet, and I interviewed there before you. Therefore, I might be rejected :( How do they notify you, by regular mail or e-mail? For me as an out-of-state student, I might choose Jefferson over Temple because the tuition is about them same. However, you are a resident there so tuition at temple is cheaper. Tuition at Temple costs you only 18,770 (versus 26,500 at Jefferson). That's $30,920 more to attend Jefferson. That may not be a lot, considering the salary of a pharmacist but we can do so many things with that money.
How about me deciding between Jefferson and LECOM Erie? Any input?

oops, i think the march 17 deadline was for current students. I think we have until May as incoming students...but I already turned in my stuff, so I guess that's that.

I picked access group as my federal lender...what did you all pick? And I had the hardest freakin' time picking how much to borrow. My first year costs are going to be very high (due to relocation, security deposit, etc...).

oops, i think the march 17 deadline was for current students. I think we have until May as incoming students...but I already turned in my stuff, so I guess that's that.

I picked access group as my federal lender...what did you all pick? And I had the hardest freakin' time picking how much to borrow. My first year costs are going to be very high (due to relocation, security deposit, etc...).

hey, when you say you picked how much to borrow, do you just mean that link from the form on the banner "Subsidized Stafford Loan Amount application" where we chose the amount for subsidized and unsubsidized loans,, or is there some other place to choose in addition to the stafford loans how much that we need to borrow? Because the stafford loans alone will only get us about 20,000 - not near enough for what we need.
thanks

I thought Stafford loans were like 40 grand?

I just got "conditional acceptance" Temple (I interviewd Feb 18)...via email. I have to take Calc I and II over the summer if I go there. Its a significant difference in price (18g v 26g), but I liked Jeff so much better and dont have to take any extra classes for them. Temple is not in a good area at all, and Jeff impressed me way more with the formal interviews and tour. I dont wanna take the extra classes but price and accredation are making the decision difficult.

Temple is not in a good area at all, and Jeff impressed me way more with the formal interviews and tour. I dont wanna take the extra classes but price and accredation are making the decision difficult.
Yes, I am in the silmilar situation. Jeff impressed more than LECOM Erie but it's 40,000 grand cheaper. Plus, I can graduate a year faster.

I don't think accreditation should be a factor at all. I am almost 99.99% certain that Jeff will be accredited. However, do "some" type scholarships or financial aids require you to attend an fully accredited to be eligible? That's one of my concern.

I called the financial aid office today, and they told me the deadline for us (New Pharmacy Students) is May 1st, and not March 17th. The march deadline is for returning students.

Stafford loans top out at $20,500, you can borrow up to the maximum using your grad plus loan. I think the "cost of attendance" is pegged at about $44k for us independent students with >$7500 in income last year. I borrowed close to the maximum due to relocation and hmm...some credit card debt i'd like to refinance, haha.

I thought Stafford loans were like 40 grand?

I just got "conditional acceptance" Temple (I interviewd Feb 18)...via email. I have to take Calc I and II over the summer if I go there. Its a significant difference in price (18g v 26g), but I liked Jeff so much better and dont have to take any extra classes for them. Temple is not in a good area at all, and Jeff impressed me way more with the formal interviews and tour. I dont wanna take the extra classes but price and accredation are making the decision difficult.

hey
i got "Provisional acceptance" is conditional and provisional different? they just want me to send in my transcripts and the money....

i am so confused...i dont know where to go..:(

Congratulation! Think. I haven't heard anything from Temple yet, and I interviewed there before you. Therefore, I might be rejected :( How do they notify you, by regular mail or e-mail? For me as an out-of-state student, I might choose Jefferson over Temple because the tuition is about them same. However, you are a resident there so tuition at temple is cheaper. Tuition at Temple costs you only 18,770 (versus 26,500 at Jefferson). That's $30,920 more to attend Jefferson. That may not be a lot, considering the salary of a pharmacist but we can do so many things with that money.
How about me deciding between Jefferson and LECOM Erie? Any input?

hey thanx!!!
i dont think u r rejected till they tell u ,u r rejected ...on the temple thread alot of ppl interviewed after me and got in before...u still have a chance..dont give up!
oh and i am not instate for temple so it wont really matter and i got a email they said they are mailing the letter as well..

i dont know abt LECOM ERIE but i really liked jefferson....

so... has anyone asked about the intern license thing? Maybe i'll send an email to karen.

i haven't asked yet...send it to stephen doll, i think KJA just does admission related things.

Man... I never realized how difficult it was to pay for tuition... I need a shot... hehe

my coworker who is in her P2 at temple says that you have to complete your P1 in order to be considered an intern at CVS.... maybe its a CVS / NJ thing? its not cool.

ok i sent my check in for Jefferson i will be attending jefferson...i REJECTED TEMPLE!!!!!!!hehehehe:D:):)

ok now where the hell is my signature?????????????

ok i sent my check in for Jefferson i will be attending jefferson...i REJECTED TEMPLE!!!!!!!hehehehe:D:):)

Good for you.. Glad you made you decision.. I have sent deposit for Jefferson. I think I probably will send deposit for LECOM also. 40,000 less debt and 3-year is enticing. but I will make decision before the school starts in August. It would easier for me to make decision between Jeff VS Temple coz I am out-of-state student...

Yea anyone else in-state and choosing between jeff and temple? which one did you pick and what were the reasons?

Hello I was trying to complete #11 and 12 which are "HIPAA & Safety Training presentation" but I got the following message:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Access Denied.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Either you are not logged in or you do not have the appropriate privileges to perform this action.
I can log in using my Campus ID and PW and go to 'Organizations' tab and search for the presentation but couldn't access it. Anyone having similar problem?

yea i got that message too... they must not have loaded it into blackboard yet or something.

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just bored at home on my day off. What's everyone up to?

Hey Guys and Gals,

Just bored at home on my day off. What's everyone up to?

Hey oaktown i remember seeing your stats and thinking that's really close to mine. i went to Cal too. I came out with crappy GPA but pretty good PCAT. i graduated may 06. did you graduate the same year?

anyone play/good at basketball?

Good for you.. Glad you made you decision.. I have sent deposit for Jefferson. I think I probably will send deposit for LECOM also. 40,000 less debt and 3-year is enticing. but I will make decision before the school starts in August. It would easier for me to make decision between Jeff VS Temple coz I am out-of-state student...

so now r u gona wait for temple or take jefferson, wht wud u have piked if i get acepted to both ??