School: UCSF (dream school!!!)
Notification date: 8/7
Method of notification: email
Residency: WI
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/7
Application complete date: 7/27
GPA (science, overall): 3.85, 3.89
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/24/21/24/none
~200 volunteer hours, ~500 extracurriculars/leadership, 2000+ student employment, 160 dental shadowing, minimal research experience (2 semesters for credit, 125-ish hours)

My interview date is November 3. PM me if you have any recommendations on how to spend the weekend in San Francisco! :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Can you tell me what time you submitted your interview acceptance email and also what the automatic message said because I didn't receive an automatic response after I accepted the invitation? I replied back to them around 4 pm. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

I replied back them at 8 pm and got the automatic message right after I replied. I think that the automatic message is not a confirmation for our interview acceptance.
This is what the automated message have,
"Thank you for contacting the UCSF, School of Dentistry, Office of Admissions!

This confirms that your message has been received and you will receive a response within 3-5 business days.
Please note that we will be closed in observance of the Independence Day holiday: July 3-4.
If this is an urgent matter please call 415.476.2737 Ext.#1 and leave a voice message. We will respond within 1 business day.
We appreciate your understanding during our busy time! "

Can you tell me what time you submitted your interview acceptance email and also what the automatic message said because I didn't receive an automatic response after I accepted the invitation? I replied back to them around 4 pm. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
I just hit reply directly to the email that invited me... immediately after I responded I got an email saying
"
Thank you for contacting the UCSF, School of Dentistry, Office of Admissions!

This confirms that your message has been received and you will receive a response within 3-5 business days.
Please note that we will be closed in observance of the Independence Day holiday: July 3-4.
If this is an urgent matter please call 415.476.2737 Ext.#1 and leave a voice message. We will respond within 1 business day.
We appreciate your understanding during our busy time!

Sincerely,

Admissions Staff
Office of Admissions
UCSF, School of Dentistry"

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to people with interviews!! I lived in SF for a couple years and here are some recommendations for FREE stuff to do in San Francisco when you come for your interview.

Here are my recs:
1) Drive across the golden gate bridge hike to the Point Bonita Lighthouse.
2) Walk through golden gate park (next to UCSF) to Ocean Beach and walk north to the Cliff House/Lands End
3) Drive up to Twin Peaks to see an amazing panorama of the city. If it's a Saturday, then go to Mission Dolores park afterward and enjoy the music and people watching.
4) If you're a Disney fan, the Walt Disney museum (admissions fee but worth it) in the Presidio has a great collection of artifacts from Walt Disney's life. There are also great walking paths throughout the Presidio.
5) The usual touristy stuff is also pretty good if you're visiting for the first time: Union Square, Pier 39, Lombard street, Chinatown, Coit Tower, etc

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I replied back them at 8 pm and got the automatic message right after I replied. I think that the automatic message is not a confirmation for our interview acceptance.
This is what the automated message have,
"Thank you for contacting the UCSF, School of Dentistry, Office of Admissions!

We appreciate your understanding during our busy time! "

Thank you so much for the help! That made me feel a lot better. XD

I just hit reply directly to the email that invited me... immediately after I responded I got an email saying
"
Thank you for contacting the UCSF, School of Dentistry, Office of Admissions!

We appreciate your understanding during our busy time!

Sincerely,

Admissions Staff
Office of Admissions
UCSF, School of Dentistry"

Thank you so much for the help! That made me so relieved. :D

I called Admissions asking about when confirmation emails for interview invite responses will come. They said it takes a while to give the confirmation emails since they have a lot of applicants. So, we just got to wait.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I got the interview confirmation email today at 4:05 PM CST, about a half hour after I replied. Anyone else?

Any suggest on the hotel that affordable and close to school? Thanks

I would definitely check out Daly City or Berkeley (that's where I live). Both close to airports, accessible by public transit (BART), and pretty affordable. Mission Inn is a pretty cheap hotel near the Sunset Set district. If you're flying into SFO, you'll be surround by hotels.

Hey so I responded yesterday (8/7) at 7:10pm, at 7:14 I got an automated reply stating that I will receive a response within 3-5 business days. So, I figured I would give it a 3 days before calling just in case.

Interview #2
School: UCSF (dream school)
Notification date: 8/7 (sent out in batches? I had the same date as a user above)
Application Date completed: 07/18
Resident: CA
GPA: (science, overall) 3.5, 3.6
DAT: 22AA, 23 TS (nothing below 17)
~300 volunteering hours
~300 shadowing hours
~1500+ hours as paid Dental Assistant
~minimal research (5 quarters, 2 official for credit)
~Student Body Senator
~500+ EC hours

Really excited for October 20th! Anyone know where UCSF is exactly (ashamed to ask since I'm a SoCal native)? Is it across the golden gate bridge, is the area safe?

I would definitely check out Daly City or Berkeley (that's where I live). Both close to airports, accessible by public transit (BART), and pretty affordable. Mission Inn is a pretty cheap hotel near the Sunset Set district. If you're flying into SFO, you'll be surround by hotels.

Hey so I responded yesterday (8/7) at 7:10pm, at 7:14 I got an automated reply stating that I will receive a response within 3-5 business days. So, I figured I would give it a 3 days before calling just in case.
Thanks for replied! I was looking at google maps and if i book the hotel in Sunset District it would be much closer to the school. I wonder Sunset District is safe to stay?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Interview #2
School: UCSF (dream school)
Notification date: 8/7 (sent out in batches? I had the same date as a user above)
Application Date completed: 07/18
Resident: CA
GPA: (science, overall) 3.5, 3.6
DAT: 22AA, 23 TS (nothing below 17)
~300 volunteering hours
~300 shadowing hours
~1500+ hours as paid Dental Assistant
~minimal research (5 quarters, 2 official for credit)
~Student Body Senator
~500+ EC hours

Really excited for October 20th! Anyone know where UCSF is exactly (ashamed to ask since I'm a SoCal native)? Is it across the golden gate bridge, is the area safe?
Same Here! i am from SoCal

Thanks for replied! I was looking at google maps and if i book the hotel in Sunset District it would be much closer to the school. I wonder Sunset District is safe to stay?
Sorry for the late reply! Yes, the Sunset district is very safe! Portola district as well. I would stay away from the Tenderloin District if you can.

Who's interviewing tomorrow?!?! Super excited because this is my top choice :) Also a little nervous about the writing sample haha.

Mine was submitted on Aug 2 and I received an email saying that the review process can take up to 4 weeks.
It has passed 4 weeks already. I am a bit relief that I am not rejected from UCSF yet.
Should I send email to UCSF or just give a little more time?
Anyone in the same boat?

Who's interviewing tomorrow?!?! Super excited because this is my top choice :) Also a little nervous about the writing sample haha.

Heard the writing sample was very straightforward and basically just making sure you're literate/didn't pay someone to write it for you! But I guess we shall see tomorrow....

Heard the writing sample was very straightforward and basically just making sure you're literate/didn't pay someone to write it for you! But I guess we shall see tomorrow....
How was the interview & writing section? Did you get grilled, or was it more laid back?

Reactions: 2 users
I
How was the interview & writing section? Did you get grilled, or was it more laid back?
I personally felt like it was very laid back and chill... it was such a beautiful day that most of the interviewers held their interviews outside just to enjoy the sun. Very relaxed.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know if pre - december interview are all full?

For those who interviewed at ucsf already, if you do not mind, can you please help answer a few questions?
How was the writing sample part for you? How long did they give you and was the question(s) open ended? I have heard theyre mostly famous quotes for us to argue our points?

For those who interviewed at ucsf already, if you do not mind, can you please help answer a few questions?
How was the writing sample part for you? How long did they give you and was the question(s) open ended? I have heard theyre mostly famous quotes for us to argue our points?

It was pretty straightforward, based on a quote and with a single open-ended question as the prompt. It's not really an argument you make based on the quote, the question was based more on how you would interpret/apply it.

I can't remember the time, I think it was either 15 or 30 minutes.

It was pretty straightforward, based on a quote and with a single open-ended question as the prompt. It's not really an argument you make based on the quote, the question was based more on how you would interpret/apply it.

I can't remember the time, I think it was either 15 or 30 minutes.

thank you!

Do people have any idea about the rate of acceptance for people who get interviewed at UCSF?

Mine was submitted on Aug 2 and I received an email saying that the review process can take up to 4 weeks.
It has passed 4 weeks already. I am a bit relief that I am not rejected from UCSF yet.
Should I send email to UCSF or just give a little more time?
Anyone in the same boat?
Did you follow up? or are you still waiting ... I am in the same boat and have no idea what to do.

So my application was marked as complete on Sept 1 and the email said that the review process takes "up to 4 weeks" and tomorrow marks end of week 4 but haven't heard anything yet :( this wait is killing me. Does anyone know if theres a pattern as to how frequently interview invites are sent?

Hi! For the interviewees, how do we take the survey about the interview day? They told us to do it but I cannot find the link for it.

HI.

I just interviews at ucsf and now my status and AADSAS application changed from”invited for interview” to “received/under review”. Is this normal/happened to everyone who interviewed?

Thank you

HI.

I just interviews at ucsf and now my status and AADSAS application changed from”invited for interview” to “received/under review”. Is this normal/happened to everyone who interviewed?

Thank you

I think it should be normal! How did the interview go for you?

I think it should be normal! How did the interview go for you?

Hi. It went really well, actually. Very laid back. Very conversational. Really like the school! Ho did yours go. And did the same thing with the status happen to you, too?

HI.

Thank you
Yep same thing for me. Assuming it's because they're reviewing us again, but for admission instead of interviews!

I just got an invite to interview. OOS.
3.92 GPA, 24 AA/25 TS/ 23 PAT.
Interview is early November

Does everyone who gets invited for an interview at UCSF also get invited for DentStay???

so I know some people have gotten rejections from UCSF so will they let us know now if our apps are under review if we get rejected? Or is it possible we won't find out until Dec.?

so I know some people have gotten rejections from UCSF so will they let us know now if our apps are under review if we get rejected? Or is it possible we won't find out until Dec.?
rejection before or after the interview?

FYI: Dean Featherstone is retiring in December this year

Last edited:
I have my interview tomorrow morning. Any last minute suggestions from those of you who have already interviewed? Is it open/closed file? What was the stress level like?

Thx in advance

I have my interview tomorrow morning. Any last minute suggestions from those of you who have already interviewed? Is it open/closed file? What was the stress level like?

Thx in advance
See you there :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.