Texas Tech (Lubbock) c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
agreed. x10.

my last one was also an inspiron--had it for six years (an eternity in computer years) and it even survived a motorcycle accident in which it literally bounced across concrete for several feet (don't worry no one was hurt beyond minor scrapes/banged up knees--i was going slow), and it also survived a rainy season in rural thailand in which i transported it everywhere through the rain and in a sopping wet backpack while riding a bicycle and/or said motorcycle.

in the six years i never had a single non-cosmetic/structural problem. (in about year #4 one of the keyboard keys came off it when i started to drop it and proceeded to reflexively grab the keyboard, and earlier this year one of the hinges broke--most certainly a consequence of how hard i've been on it--but through it all, it never ceased computing it's little heart out and doing what i asked of it!) .

it's now happily in retirement, but i still have it and boot it up occasionally if i need something. (never bothered to transfer the hard drive memory, because the vast majority of school crap (etc.) i have on there, i'll never use again.

i know pc's aren't as hip and trendy as macs, but unless somehting drastic changes, i will never own anything but a dell.

better stories than mine. :thumbdown:

I still miss it sometimes. Spent nearly 5 years bussing/serving/bartending at the highly esteemed chilis. :thumbup:

Then I went off and got a master's degree just to make less money than I did serving. :thumbdown: :laugh: :thumbdown:

If I didn't have a hand in 3 or 4 publications I'm trying to finish this summer I would have no doubt quit after being accepted, bartend somewhere, and just screw off until classes started. screw academic research.

Man, i thought I was the only one suffering through school this semester. Got a research thesis going on and I feel like I'm going in circles. My worst fear right now is not being able to complete and defend it by orientation. How's ur research publications going?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone I am back from my cruise vacation!

I should get my campus assignment in the mail tomorrow since we had it held... I can't wait

I did get a Dell M1530 XPS pc and love it! I also purchased the Best Buy Service plan so it is fully covered for 3 years for anything including accidental damage.

Can I get some honest feedback from ya'll?

So I was thinking about the documentary "doctor's diaries" and about how disappointed I was in it... I felt like it just lacked...something.

I then got the idea, what if I started a "Tech 2013 video diary/documentary" for our class. Just like a historian would do but with a video camera. Trying to catch the ups and downs of our first 2 years (or at least try to). It wouldn't be professional or anything, just something fun for us to watch and laugh at a few years down the road.

So my question is...do ya'll think people in the class would actually want to participate? like would people "talk" to the camera...allow me to video...etc.? (of course following patient confidentiality).

If it sounds like a good idea I might just try to run for historian and use my video for that...

what do ya'll think?

Man, i thought I was the only one suffering through school this semester. Got a research thesis going on and I feel like I'm going in circles. My worst fear right now is not being able to complete and defend it by orientation. How's ur research publications going?

Pretty satisfied with the progress. My first paper from the previous lab was just officially published this month in insect molecular biology :laugh: at least it's something, right? I did the work on that 2 or so years ago though.

My current lab there are 4 papers I should be on, hopefully by the end of the year or soon after. Two being fairly large collaborations genomic/bioinformatic papers (one accepted, one to be submitted this month). Another being first author and and extension of my thesis, pending the experiment I'm trying to finish before I leave in a month.

I was in the same boat last summer trying to finish/defend my thesis before the end of the summer semester. Stressful time, but it all worked out. I'm sure yours will too. :thumbup:

So I was thinking about the documentary "doctor's diaries" and about how disappointed I was in it... I felt like it just lacked...something.

I then got the idea, what if I started a "Tech 2013 video diary/documentary" for our class. Just like a historian would do but with a video camera. Trying to catch the ups and downs of our first 2 years (or at least try to). It wouldn't be professional or anything, just something fun for us to watch and laugh at a few years down the road.

So my question is...do ya'll think people in the class would actually want to participate? like would people "talk" to the camera...allow me to video...etc.? (of course following patient confidentiality).

If it sounds like a good idea I might just try to run for historian and use my video for that...

what do ya'll think?

I think it's a very ambitious idea. If done right it could be something pretty cool to look back on. But to be able to continuously keep up with it would be quite a task.

I don't think many if any people would be against participating, but I bet no one would want to coordinate it.

Last edited:

what do ya'll think?

I think that is a cool idea and I would participate for sure. It actually sounds similar to part of my undergraduate research project on holocaust history... we (group of 3 researchers) did audio recorded interviews of classmates during our study abroad across Europe. It was very successful for a few days but once we were running non-stop and everyone was tired they got less and less interested in answering our questions. Hopefully that won't happen with a class project (and having many more people to pull from would be nice- our group was 24)...

If you think you can handle keeping up with it I applaud you and will fully support you!

Pretty satisfied with the progress. My first paper from the previous lab was just officially published this month in insect molecular biology :laugh: at least it's something, right? I did the work on that 2 or so years ago though.

My current lab there are 4 papers I should be on, hopefully by the end of the year or soon after. Two being fairly large collaborations genomic/bioinformatic papers (one accepted, one to be submitted this month). Another being first author and and extension of my thesis, pending the experiment I'm trying to finish before I leave in a month.

I was in the same boat last summer trying to finish/defend my thesis before the end of the summer semester. Stressful time, but it all worked out. I'm sure yours will too. :thumbup:)

Thanks. i freaked out this afternoon after my paper so far just disappeared in front of my eyes. The rescued document had a punch of question marks and nothing legible. Thankfully I had it saved in another document format as well, so i pulled that one out. I just have to remember the work i did the last hour before the disappearing act and add it to the other saved document

I think the video library idea is cool. If u can keep up with it, i'm sure we'll all be willing to participate.

So i got my campus assignment today and got Amarillo which was my first choice!!!

Man I miss the cruise ship it sure was great being spoiled all week- the whole family tonight was like where is iGOR (our waiter for Russia) we miss him soooo much!

question for the other OOS people in the class, I just got my financial aid award info and it includes my scholarship (which should drop me to IS tuition) but also says tuition is $26,000 (OOS tuition), so my loan eligibility will be 52,000. Did yours say that as well or is that an error on the part of someone in the financial aid office? Thanks!

question for the other OOS people in the class, I just got my financial aid award info and it includes my scholarship (which should drop me to IS tuition) but also says tuition is $26,000 (OOS tuition), so my loan eligibility will be 52,000. Did yours say that as well or is that an error on the part of someone in the financial aid office? Thanks!

I am also out of state... I got the scholarship to drop my tuition (but only 50% of OOS people get it) I also got a grant towards my cost and my cost of attendance was much lower than yours.... you should check to see if you got a grant or the merit scholarship... it must be a greater than $1000 merit scholarship to get the instate tuition loophole

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also out of state... I got the scholarship to drop my tuition (but only 50% of OOS people get it) I also got a grant towards my cost and my cost of attendance was much lower than yours.... you should check to see if you got a grant or the merit scholarship... it must be a greater than $1000 merit scholarship to get the instate tuition loophole
yeah, i got that scholarship too (I reread my acceptance letter and it is definitely the same one), I think they just screwed up somewhere. I'm going to talk to financial aid tomorrow and find out what's up.

Thanks. i freaked out this afternoon after my paper so far just disappeared in front of my eyes. The rescued document had a punch of question marks and nothing legible. Thankfully I had it saved in another document format as well, so i pulled that one out. I just have to remember the work i did the last hour before the disappearing act and add it to the other saved document

yikes, that couldn't have been fun.

on another note, I'm headed up to lubbock tomorrow for the weekend to finally find a place for the fall. Not sure if anyone has moved out there yet, but drinks on me if you want to meet up somewhere one night. :thumbup:

yikes, that couldn't have been fun.

on another note, I'm headed up to lubbock tomorrow for the weekend to finally find a place for the fall. Not sure if anyone has moved out there yet, but drinks on me if you want to meet up somewhere one night. :thumbup:

Good luck with the search...and stay out of trouble! I'll have a few with ya in mid July when we move.

Got my new computer in today.. :love: so shiny and new! I think i'm going to enjoy the month I have with it before it becomes any negative test feelings are associated with it :laugh:

Got my new computer in today.. :love: so shiny and new! I think i'm going to enjoy the month I have with it before it becomes any negative test feelings are associated with it :laugh:
What did you end up choosing?

I got a new one yesterday. After many people telling me that DELL systems have a lot of problems and that the customer service is sub par, I chose an HP Pavilion dv4. It seems to be a great system and has 4 GB of DDR2 RAM. So, with the Best Buy warranty this sucker should last me through med school :xf:

I ended up building a Dell Latitude. I think a lot of the complaints with dell come from their lower end computers since they often contract out with schools and sell cheap computers. The latitude (one of their more expensive ones... not sold in stores) had great reviews though and i also got the 4GB DDR2 ram, plus a ton of other nice stuff so i think it'll be good too.

I ended up building a Dell Latitude. I think a lot of the complaints with dell come from their lower end computers since they often contract out with schools and sell cheap computers. The latitude (one of their more expensive ones... not sold in stores) had great reviews though and i also got the 4GB DDR2 ram, plus a ton of other nice stuff so i think it'll be good too.

:thumbup: :D

all that laptop talk got me looking around again.

this seems to be a pretty good deal for those still looking. I'm debating about ordering one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...?EdpNo=4545452&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Looks hawt. No idea how that model performs, but for those tech specs @ $500 new, I don't see how you can really go wrong...

And unfortunately, a birdie on the Facebook group mentioned our textbook list is now out.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/curriculum/booklist0910.aspx

Blech...

how pathetic is it that i'm actually kinda excited about it being posted?
:thumbdown:laugh:
How pathetic is it that I plan on buying the anatomy book in the next couple weeks so I can take it with me on our vacation and read it :)

How pathetic is it that I plan on buying the anatomy book in the next couple weeks so I can take it with me on our vacation and read it :)
F that. I'm going to golf and drink scotch this summer.

Yeah, I've been out of school for a couple of years so I am itching to get started. Basically I just want to quit my job already and get on with life!

I am chilling all summer... started things off with the cruise and now I am just keeping up nannying until I move to Lubbock... great thing is that I can take the kids to the pool and work on my tan a few days each week!

I am going to wait til I am in Lubbock to start buying/ordering books though I noticed the list was up and it did make me excited...though not enough to start reading now!

natrod- you said you are OOS where are you from? I am from Atlanta but I did spend the majority of my childhood in Amarillo.

I am chilling all summer... started things off with the cruise and now I am just keeping up nannying until I move to Lubbock... great thing is that I can take the kids to the pool and work on my tan a few days each week!

I am going to wait til I am in Lubbock to start buying/ordering books though I noticed the list was up and it did make me excited...though not enough to start reading now!

natrod- you said you are OOS where are you from? I am from Atlanta but I did spend the majority of my childhood in Amarillo.
I'm from Colorado originally, but now I live in Utah. I have a few friends down in Texas, but I haven't had the pleasure of living there myself yet. I'm looking forward to moving down there in July, my last day of work is July 10 and then I am packing up and heading down that weekend, I get to move into my apartment July 15! After that is our family vacation to Lake Powell and then back for orientation!

Wow, I'm the oldest and I don't (at least not regularly, tho I won't turn it down!). I heard that TX_NFS has a taste for it!!!;)

Whoa now, just hold on there a second. Do I need to befriend a law student to protect myself from libel and slander? :laugh: And what I tasted before was whiskey...which I'm pretty sure is different from scotch? The only scotch I've had experience with is scotch tape. :smuggrin:

Whoa now, just hold on there a second. Do I need to befriend a law student to protect myself from libel and slander? :laugh: And what I tasted before was whiskey...which I'm pretty sure is different from scotch? The only scotch I've had experience with is scotch tape. :smuggrin:

Good catch...just checking your recall! Remember that, I think the ability to distinguish the two is on step (or at least it should be!).:)

Good catch...just checking your recall! Remember that, I think the ability to distinguish the two is on step (or at least it should be!).:)

Yah I think I remember you being a beer man if my memory serves. ;)

Time to take the boy to the pool.

Awww fun- I love taking the kids I nanny to the pool... I have been every day this week! Today it was raining but the kids insisted on swimming after swim team practice- so I let them and enjoyed that all 3 napped this afternoon!

holy 50mph wind/rain/hail/dust/lightning storm tonight. :scared:

Mmmm.....perfect I need a wine-tasting friend. The future-hubs hates wine. :)

I think 'gramps' mentioned something earlier in the thread about wanting to go to some of the wineries around. Passed the sign for the Llano Estacado winery on the way up and that crossed my mind.

http://www.llanowine.com/default.aspx

yum

Last edited:
teacherman, if you don't mind, i kinda hope this name sticks around when we start... it's endearing. :p:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That's cool...as long as you don't say it around my son. Don't want to give the boy any ideas!:smuggrin:

holy 50mph wind/rain/hail/dust/lightning storm tonight. :scared:

I think 'gramps' mentioned something earlier in the thread about wanting to go to some of the wineries around. Passed the sign for the Llano Estacado winery on the way up and that crossed my mind.

http://www.llanowine.com/default.aspx

yum

Let's start coordinating the first field trip! Too bad my CDL expired or we could have rented a bus. :)

Well guys, I was accepted off the UTHSCSA waitlist today. After some debating, I think I will be attending UTHSCSA in the fall. I have enjoyed talking with you guys and getting to meet some of you, and I wish everyone the best the next four years and beyond!

Well guys, I was accepted off the UTHSCSA waitlist today. After some debating, I think I will be attending UTHSCSA in the fall. I have enjoyed talking with you guys and getting to meet some of you, and I wish everyone the best the next four years and beyond!

:(

CONGRATS! :) But, we will miss you. :thumbdown:

Congrats man, I had a feeling you were getting in to one of your 2 schools. That's great!

Congrats- best of luck to you! :D

So the reality that i'm moving is starting to hit... leaving my boyfriend behind is not going to be fun... :( I won't go into all the details, but... i know i will definitely need friends in lubbock... Girls night out perhaps? (or anyone that wants to hang out lol)