Texas Tech (Lubbock) c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utjsm08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of us who have been accepted to Texas Tech c/o 2013 :D

Members don't see this ad.

So who has Tech as their first choice and will be going for sure?

i'm debating between lubbock and el paso right now. as the days pass i'm leaning much more to lubbock! i also have an a&m interview coming up so we'll see how that goes! i don't know anything about the a&m med school but want to give it equal consideration if i happen to get in!

i'm thrilled to have options! i'm a reapplicant that went from all rejections to one waitlist to multiple pre-match acceptances! keep working hard....i'm proof that it can happen if you keep working at it!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have one more interview scheduled but I am 99.9% sure that I will be at TTUHSC next year- I am so excited and can't wait to meet everyone!

Who is planning on going to spring training?

is anyone else bummed about the no apple policy? my "getting into med school gift" was going to a be a shiny new apple macbook pro! i've been wanting it for years and it looks as if i'll be stuck with a PC for years!

I have one more interview scheduled but I am 99.9% sure that I will be at TTUHSC next year- I am so excited and can't wait to meet everyone!

Who is planning on going to spring training?

Congrats to everyone who got accepted and is coming to lubbock. How do ya'll even know about spring training? We haven't even discussed it yet.

Congrats to everyone who got accepted and is coming to lubbock. How do ya'll even know about spring training? We haven't even discussed it yet.

I was told about it by some of the medical students I talked to during my interview. I was asking about apartments and stuff and they told me that a general info session on housing is part of spring training...

is anyone else bummed about the no apple policy? my "getting into med school gift" was going to a be a shiny new apple macbook pro! i've been wanting it for years and it looks as if i'll be stuck with a PC for years!
you should ask if you're allowed to use a Mac as long as you boot Windows on it as well.

So what exactly is spring training? :)

So what exactly is spring training? :)

not exactly sure- I was just told it was a time for accepted students to come and gather and meet each other and the faculty and that there would be housing info... sounds like a closer look weekend thing but who knows... I will be there if they have it though

Hi. So i also got a pre-match with Tech! I'm pretty excited, it wasn't my first choice, but now that i'm looking at it closer I actually like it a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I just got my pre-match acceptance today!!

Congrats to all of you!!

I loved Tech, and the students that I met seemed so genuinely normal, happy, and intelligent. Great signs!

And sorry for all of the exclamation marks...all of the sentences merited at least one :)

I haven't got my acceptance package yet either.

But i'm pretty sure i'll be seeing y'all @ spring training.

Congrats texas2009!!!

I just got my acceptance packet in the mail. Anybody else say anything about a scholarship.

did the packet have the scholarship information?

Ya, the first sentence was congratulations and the second said a scholarshp to cover tuition and fees for the 1st year of medical school only.

Man- I hate being so far away from Texas- my packet most likely won't be here in Atlanta for awhile! Congrats on the scholarship... I hope mine is similar!

i hope my acceptance packet has a similar scholarship offer!!! i'm in boston so it will be early next week before i get it!!

Is the acceptance packet in a big envelope or just a normal sized one? I can't wait for mine to get here!!!

I just got mine- its a big packet...

My scholarship was $1000 a year renewable... which gets me in state tuition so it is actually a lot more than $1000 in my book (more like 11,000 a year!)

Ya, the first sentence was congratulations and the second said a scholarshp to cover tuition and fees for the 1st year of medical school only.

maybe i read to much into what you wrote but is yours a full tuition and fees scholarship for the first year?

the second sentence of mine stated that a scholarship will be applied to my first year tuition and fees and later in the letter it stated that the amount of the scholarship would be disclosed in a few weeks.

maybe i read to much into what you wrote but is yours a full tuition and fees scholarship for the first year?

the second sentence of mine stated that a scholarship will be applied to my first year tuition and fees and later in the letter it stated that the amount of the scholarship would be disclosed in a few weeks.

mine said the same thing

Just got my packet today. I also had the statement about it being applied towards tuition and fees for the first year. :rolleyes:

I mailed mine back priority today- the deadline is Nov 30th which is Friday if I am thinking right... if it is in the mail but doesn't get there til Monday do you think that is a problem???

I might call Tech about that tomorrow

Got my packet today! Got the 1st year tuition/fees scholarship as well. Never even dreamed of getting any kind of scholarship for med school....so this is really exciting!

Same thing here with the paperwork. I got my packet on the 24th and mailed it back the next day, so I'm hoping it gets there by the 30th as well. I talked to my friend who was also early accepted at Tech last year and he said they gave him $2000.

So, I have a question. When I interviewed at Tech I loved it for a lot of different reasons and it's been one of my top choices. I don't understand why the school (I'm not quite sure how to phrase this) isn't as "desirable" among pre-meds as some of the others? Is it because it's not a strong research institution? What do yall think?

I mailed mine back priority today- the deadline is Nov 30th which is Friday if I am thinking right... if it is in the mail but doesn't get there til Monday do you think that is a problem???

I might call Tech about that tomorrow

Got my package yesterday too, after i got back from work. November 30th deadline. How are we supposed to manage that. I'll just email Linda Prado and also call on Monday.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!! AT LEAST WE ALL HAVE SOMETHING TO BE THANKFUL FOR; NOT GOING THROUGH THIS PROCESS AGAIN!!!

Same thing here with the paperwork. I got my packet on the 24th and mailed it back the next day, so I'm hoping it gets there by the 30th as well. I talked to my friend who was also early accepted at Tech last year and he said they gave him $2000.

So, I have a question. When I interviewed at Tech I loved it for a lot of different reasons and it's been one of my top choices. I don't understand why the school (I'm not quite sure how to phrase this) isn't as "desirable" among pre-meds as some of the others? Is it because it's not a strong research institution? What do yall think?

As a current student, i would say its a bunch of factors like location, research opportunities, but tech is definitely trying to improve their reputation.

Location and because Tech is a relatively new medical school. Tech actually does a good deal of research. Med students just wouldn't know it because very few of us get involved. Did you know that Tech's pain center has had some of the best faculty in the world? Many current medical books (some you will use soon) are written by our faculty.

Linda Prado emailed back this morning, and said they would allow for late replies due to the thanksgiving holidays.
This is info for anyone who got their acceptance letters late.

Linda Prado emailed back this morning, and said they would allow for late replies due to the thanksgiving holidays.
This is info for anyone who got their acceptance letters late.

that's good to hear- i mailed mine back Tuesday but the post office said it could be late

Thanks!

bump

I got an email this week to set up my ttuhsc email account- that was fun and the password requirements are crazy!

decision has been made! will 100% be attending Tech in the fall!!!

Sweet unless my state school gives me a massive scholarship (which I doubt considering I haven't even had an interview invite) I will be 100% at Tech in the fall too!!!

I am excited about flying up there in Spring to pick out an apartment :)

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but for those looking for places to live in Lubbock - check out Las Colinas townhouses. They offer good discounts for med students and they are relatively cheap for a lot of house.

pasting this from another thread... any current tech students care to lend some info? (or applicants that are wiser than me?)

s2452 said:
Thanks to everyone on here for all the information you have provided.

I have put a few questions in order to compare the schools that I am looking at right now. I am sure a lot of them have been answered before, but I just want to put it all together. Thanks in advance to your input.

How often are tests? Are there multiple tests in a designated test week OR is it all one big test every 3 weeks OR is there a test every week?

Are there ever quizzes?

How are students graded in the first and second years?

And in first year and second year, how often did you go to class? Is going to class mandatory? How many people actually go to class?

And do first and second year students get a syllabus with all the material? And if you use a syllabus, does that forgo the need to buy/ use text books?

is there a SCRIBE service? and if so, is it reliable?

Are powerpoints posted online?

How did you study for USMLE Step 1? Any books that you might suggest?

pasting this from another thread... any current tech students care to lend some info? (or applicants that are wiser than me?)

1. You have a test every 2-4 weeks. No hell week. 1 big test and that is it. If you have a 2nd test in 1 week, its 1 over basic ethics type stuff.

2. Rarely, you will have a quiz. When you do, they are normally extra credit.

3. H/P/F. Not sure if they changed it to H/HP/P/F in the first 2 years or not. Us 3rd years had H/P/F

4. 95% of classes are non-mandatory. I went to a majority of classes. We have some good lecturers.

5. No syllabus, but you do get printable on-line notes for every class. I studies from those and review books. No text books here.

6. There is a scribe service, but with printable notes and review books, I didn't find the need. Some people love it though.

7. Yes, ppts and notes are on-line

8. For Step 1, the school bought us an online question bank called USMLEWorld for 6 months. It was fantastic. I also used First Aid, Rapid Review Path, and BRS Physiology

How long is the drive from Las Colinas to the campus??? Looking at a map seems far away...

Do you think more students have roommate or live alone? What is the typical amount a student has for rent each month?

Thanks for answering the curriculum questions the answers were very helpful!

How long is the drive from Las Colinas to the campus??? Looking at a map seems far away...

Do you think more students have roommate or live alone? What is the typical amount a student has for rent each month?

Thanks for answering the curriculum questions the answers were very helpful!

The drive is maybe 10 minutes. You just hop on the loop. Most of my classmates lived alone, but some had roommates. I didn't have a rooommate until 3rd year. I've seen people spend $200/month for rent and I've seen $850/month in Lubbock. It really depends on how much you want to spend.

Thanks for those answers.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but is anyone else going to see Tech play in the Cotton Bowl this year?

Just to add my .02

1. You have a test every 2-4 weeks. No hell week. 1 big test and that is it. If you have a 2nd test in 1 week, its 1 over basic ethics type stuff.
Right

2. Rarely, you will have a quiz. When you do, they are normally extra credit.
You will have a quiz a couple of days before every test, they are 5qs and if you get them all right then you get 2 extra points, miss one=1 point, miss more=0

3. H/P/F. Not sure if they changed it to H/HP/P/F in the first 2 years or not. Us 3rd years had H/P/F
It is now: H/HP/P/MP/F/ 100-91; 90.99-88; 87.99-74; 73.99-70; <70

4. 95% of classes are non-mandatory. I went to a majority of classes. We have some good lecturers.
The only mandatory stuff is for ECE; everything else is optional

5. No syllabus, but you do get printable on-line notes for every class. I studies from those and review books. No text books here.
You do get a syllabus, it's online, as is everything else including the list of teaching objetives, notes, powerpoints, grades, and so forth

6. There is a scribe service, but with printable notes and review books, I didn't find the need. Some people love it though.
Your class is the scribe service, you guys have to set it up yourself; ours is perfect, we record the lectures then scribe everything word for word, the recording just cannot be distributed. Also, we have so many participating we only scribe once a semester

7. Yes, ppts and notes are on-line

8. For Step 1, the school bought us an online question bank called USMLEWorld for 6 months. It was fantastic. I also used First Aid, Rapid Review Path, and BRS Physiology
Why are you even worrying about it right now? Though First aid is good for the finals, they are conducted by the NBME