Texas Tech (Lubbock) c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just sold our house in Houston, closed yesterday. Everything moved into the house in Lubbock! Now time to relax until school starts.

Everyone get the orientation itinerary email?

Members don't see this ad.

Just sold our house in Houston, closed yesterday. Everything moved into the house in Lubbock! Now time to relax until school starts.

Everyone get the orientation itinerary email?
Congratulations! I'll be joining you there in exactly 2 weeks!

Did that email come to your school email or your regular email address?

Congratulations! I'll be joining you there in exactly 2 weeks!

Did that email come to your school email or your regular email address?

Thanks. It was on the school email.

I'm not going to be in Lubbock until the 17th. Visiting family and friends until then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad you're getting all settled Teacherman. I am about to move myself... we pick up the Uhaul tomorrow and i move-in/ sign my lease on thursday. I won't be staying in lubbock though, going to go see family and stuff.

I don't know about ya'll but my nerves are already getting to me lol. Exciting... scary... I don't do well with a lot of free time... it gives my mind to much time to roam. :laugh: oh well, the month will fly by I'm sure.

hey guys, i just made a map to the city bank auditorium that i'm putting in my white coat invitations...

there's always the trusty google maps--but if anyone wants a little less cluttered/more intimate map to give to relatives:

(or feel free to pm if you want the actual file, as the resolution is showing up kinda bad on here)

4885_221092500633_570410633_7630891_6087420_n.jpg

hey guys, i just made a map to the city bank auditorium that i'm putting in my white coat invitations...

there's always the trusty google maps--but if anyone wants a little less cluttered/more intimate map to give to relatives:

(or feel free to pm if you want the actual file, as the resolution is showing up kinda bad on here)

4885_221092500633_570410633_7630891_6087420_n.jpg

looks like someone has a lot of free time!:)

I second that happy birthday. :)

You share a birthday with my amazing mother. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Moved most of my stuff into my new apartment:love: Wish I could have stayed in Lubbock longer, but I know I need to go see family/friends since most of mine won't be able to make it to the white coat and who knows when the next time I'll see them will be.

hope everyone's having a good 4th!!!

4th-Of-July-Emoticon.gif

I'll be in Lubbock in 13 days!!!!! can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Happy 4th Everyone!

It is crazy everyone is moving... I think I am the latest mover- July 24th! See everyone soon!

hope everyone's having a good 4th!!!

4th-Of-July-Emoticon.gif

I'll be in Lubbock in 13 days!!!!! can't wait!!!!!!!!!

I'll be walking down the aisle in 13 days!! :)
(well 14 if you count today, hehe)

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Hope everyone had a great 4th! I am trying to relax and do as little thinking as possible for the next few weeks. Anyone thinking about getting together in Lubbock before orientation?

Anyone thinking about getting together in Lubbock before orientation?

I'm down for whatever that week+ before orientation. :thumbup:

I'm still thinking a little barbecue action would be cool. I know there's been talk of golf and poker (mainly by me :D) before too.

I'm up for anything (except golf...I don't know how). I'll be in Lubbock for good around the 20th.

as a side note I'm moving in phases (last week was all the furniture, big stuff, etc.) now i still have the things I forgot as well as all the little stuff I use on a daily basis and I feel like packing will never end! :(

as a side note I'm moving in phases (last week was all the furniture, big stuff, etc.) now i still have the things I forgot as well as all the little stuff I use on a daily basis and I feel like packing will never end! :(

I feel you on never ending packing... though once I move I won't be moving in phases (that is slightly hard to do when moving from Atlanta, GA!) I am starting to pack and it just is overwhelming!

I don't get to Lubbock til the 24th...late I know but best for family so they can stay for white coat ceremony.

Maybe we could do a BBQ at a park or something on Monday or Tuesday night before orientation? I don't have a clue how to play golf (or poker for that matter!)... but am down for doing some kind of social event!

Anyone who knows Lubbock better know of any parks that would be good for a BBQ? I would love to do it but I don't know the area at all!

On another note, I'll be in Lubbock in exactly a week!!!!!

there's parks all over the place.

but might I suggest a bbq without A/C and/or pool in the middle of july in Texas isn't the best idea. I'd vote for a residence or apartment pool area or something. My crappy place if no where else.

Good point, I didn't think about that. That is definitely going to take some getting used to...

there's parks all over the place.

but might I suggest a bbq without A/C and/or pool in the middle of july in Texas isn't the best idea. I'd vote for a residence or apartment pool area or something. My crappy place if no where else.

I'd volunteer our house, but the grill wouldn't fit in our UHaul. Isn't that terribly sad??

May be a good excuse to get a new one, haha.

I'd volunteer our house, but the grill wouldn't fit in our UHaul. Isn't that terribly sad??

May be a good excuse to get a new one, haha.

whoa, grill has to take trailer precedence over at least an end table or some clothes you're never going to wear again.

and I think that's a very good excuse.

We have a small grill that we are bringing along with us that we can use if we need to

Hey...Gobaylor... i wouldn't exactly call quail creek crappy ;) I second the location... I'm kind of neighbors with gobaylor and i wouldn't mind opening up my apartment and we do have a pool (small, but deep...) If i'm not mistaken natrod, you'll be there too huh?

Hey...Gobaylor... i wouldn't exactly call quail creek crappy ;) I second the location... I'm kind of neighbors with gobaylor and i wouldn't mind opening up my apartment and we do have a pool (small, but deep...) If i'm not mistaken natrod, you'll be there too huh?
Yeah I'm there too, I'd be happy to open up my apartment as well!

more in reference to the sparsely decorated college/bachelor pad furnishings. :cool: It does the job though, and usually has a well stocked bar.

quail creek is where it's at otherwise. :thumbup:

side note: have either of you looked into the cable/internet choices there?

likewise, las colinas is home to quite a few of us, and i'm sure we'd be happy to alternate carrying the hostess-burden!!! if y'all got the pre-orientation bash, we could do the survived-first-day-shindig! :cool:

gobaylor said:
side note: have either of you looked into the cable/internet choices there?

no, but i hear SuddenLink's the standard provider. I used them in college station--service was ok.

(the vast majority of the time everything worked seamlessly and you don't even notice the service... though, every once in a while: (maybe once a semester) a snafu. And you become convinced that it's the end of the world and, in that moment, you want to take a machete to the customer service rep!:laugh: )

I'm getting the suddenlink internet, REALLY fast (8GB) and only 19.99 a month. I'm not getting cable though so i'm not sure what that would cost. The only thing I wasn't fond of is that you have to pay an installation fee of 40 bucks and you have to buy a modem (they will sell one to you for 35.00). Still cheaper for me than going with verizon or AT&T

I put my husband in change of setting up cable and internet since he'll be using it the most. I'll tell him to check out sudden link though, thanks for the info!

i had to call to cancel my ATT uverse here. it will be sorely missed.

they tried to sell me on a direct tv /ATT DSL bundle. I really haven't heard any good things about suddenlink. and I need my HD college football in a month, it's a sad addiction.

guess I'll look into it more, thanks though.

We are using Suddenlink - I think our bill is $35/mo with high speed internet and basic cable. We didn't have to pay an installation fee, because the previous owners were also using Suddenlink and hadn't canceled their service yet. We also already had a modem and router, so the set-up took about 10 minutes total. They had decent customer service, we haven't had any problems really.

I'm also going to be in Las Colinas and would be fine opening up my apartment if we did a group thing there... though fair warning I move in 5 days before orientation so it won't be quite decorated yet!

I am going with Suddenlink but haven't figured out the plan yet... how far in advance did people call to arrange service?

justdoit - I'm moving in on the 24th too! I was kinda worried about it being too close to orientation, but hopefully we'll make it work. Luckily we won't have orientation stuff on Saturday and Sunday besides the scrub party on Saturday night. Is everyone planning on going to that?

justdoit - I'm moving in on the 24th too! I was kinda worried about it being too close to orientation, but hopefully we'll make it work. Luckily we won't have orientation stuff on Saturday and Sunday besides the scrub party on Saturday night. Is everyone planning on going to that?

Scrub party is the 24th? =/ Guess I'll miss it....we get back from St. Lucia the 26th. :c)

Sounds like just about everyone is ready to move, hope everyone's summer is going well! Just wanted to drop in and say hi! :thumbup:

aug 1st

sounds like a neat thing the community does.

Ah, gotchya. If I didn't have you guys I'd be lost. My brain is currently full of wedding vows, cake icing, toasts and flower colors. :laugh: I'll need to do a complete system reformat after the wedding.

I won't be able to make the scrub party. The 1st is my mom's birthday and since all the family is coming in for the white coat ceremony we are going to campout that weekend at Palo Dura Canyon and go see Texas for my mom's bday!

Ah, gotchya. If I didn't have you guys I'd be lost. My brain is currently full of wedding vows, cake icing, toasts and flower colors. :laugh: I'll need to do a complete system reformat after the wedding.
That's what the honeymoon is for! (Among other things :) )

Hey peeps!

anyone interested in doing some running?
There's a 5k/half-marathon/marathon over labor day weekend (sept 6)... wanna go with me?

Here's my sales pitch for it:

1. The races are Sunday Sept 6. We don't have school on Saturday or Monday (the 5th or 7th), so plenty of time to recover/rest/not miss too much study time.

2. It's in Albuquerque, New Mexico... which, I know for those of us who aren't from the panhandle, that seems like forever away, but it's actually closer to lubbock than dallas!!! (and all other major texas cities for that matter) It'd be about a 5 and a half hour trip, but we could split that up with multiple drivers if we had a group going. (not to mention split hotel rooms)

3. We don’t have any exams the weeks immediately preceding or following the race. (Flanking exam dates: August 28th and September 18th)

4. They allow iPods, and welcome walkers/first timers.

5. The course is all flat/downhill. [it starts on a mountain and ends in its valley]

6. Because it’s albequerque, the weather should be much cooler than here (expected to be between 50-70F during race time). [Consequently though, the elevation is slightly higher (Lubbock is 3300ft; albequerque race ends at 4800ft), but I don’t think it will be a significant enough change that we’re gasping for air or anything… to be honest, I don’t know how noticeable different elevation gradients are; however, parts of Colorado, etc. are 8000ft. so, if you’ve ever been skiing, etc., yes you notice it, but it’s not all that detrimental—and this would only be half as high. ]

7. It’d be fun!!! :hardy:

more info

sounds like fun. too bad it's college football opening weekend as well.

sounds like fun. too bad it's college football opening weekend as well.

aw, that's a bummer... didn't realize.

well, i'm still going, if anyone's interested! we can have a carb-loading/game-watching party the night before!!! (and at least it's just north dakota)

aw, that's a bummer... didn't realize.

well, i'm still going, if anyone's interested! we can have a carb-loading/game-watching party the night before!!! (and at least it's just north dakota)

now carb loading I am down with. :D 2:30 Baylor/Wake, 6 Tceh/NDSU

been nearly 2 years since I went to a happy hour until today. so nice. whoo unemployment.