Texas Tech (Lubbock) c/o 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got back in town and got my campus assignment...Lubbock for 4!!! Seems like most people on here are happy so that's awesome.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

uhoh, Gerald is banned.... anyone know why? Perhaps my theory was correct? or did something happen in the ROT thread?

uhoh, Gerald is banned.... anyone know why? Perhaps my theory was correct? or did something happen in the ROT thread?

Huh, interesting. I looked at his last few posts, nothing too controversial or trolling. Maybe he annoyed an admin or something.

Anyways, I'm good friends with that guy, and I hear he got the place he wanted for 3rd and 4th year. Good for him!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyways, he's pretty bummed out about getting banned from SDN. But, he thinks it's for the best : he really ought to spend time hanging out with people in person instead of on the internetz.

Huh, interesting. I looked at his last few posts, nothing too controversial or trolling. Maybe he annoyed an admin or something.

they don't look "too controversial" because you edited them a million times.

Anyways, I'm good friends with that guy, and I hear he got the place he wanted for 3rd and 4th year.

damn. i guess that means you got amarillo. :thumbdown:

You haven't even met me yet. I was extremely stressed out this term, and it came through in my posts here. I edit them when I don't feel the post carries the message I intended. Kind of like taking back something you said before the sound waves reach their ear. I'm disappointed that you're already wanting to not even be in the same city as me - you don't even know if I got Amarillo. Maybe I wanted Lubbock more.

Last edited:
You haven't even met me yet. I was extremely stressed out this term, and it came through in my posts here. I edit them when I don't feel the post carries the message I intended. Kind of like taking back something you said before the sound waves reach their ear. I'm disappointed that you're already wanting to not even be in the same city as me - you don't even know if I got Amarillo. Maybe I wanted Lubbock more.

I'm pretty sure you said you wanted to do surgery, which she took to mean wanting Amarillo for your 3rd and 4th year. I think that's a logical thought process.

In her defense you have been purposefully unkind to many people here. No, she doesn't KNOW you in real life, but personalities come through online. This is why several of us who talk a lot on SDN have met in real life and ended up becoming friends outside of SDN. You should just be cautious of how you treat people in general - online or not, it still reflects YOU since you write it.

If you were extremely stressed out in undergrad and acting like this to future classmates online, I really hate to see how you act in MS1 when you find out what real stress is.

Not to mention all the lying (albeit ridiculously unconvincing attempts, but still lies) you've been doing. If you'll lie all over the internet, who's to say you won't lie in real life? Let's just put it this way, nobody wants a classmate with a history of lying in their study group.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry.

I want a fresh start. Please reserve final judgment until you actually meet me.

Last edited:
No, they weren't easy for me this last term. I'm not in undergrad - I took medical school classes. I was stuck in a bad situation. But whatever, you're going to pre-judge me for message board posts.

As for "lying"...whatever. Did I do anything but try to start fresh after I inadvertently annoyed a couple of people? You're judging me for that? You know what....
It's like watching a train wreck... Yes, a train wreck that always arrives on schedule. :laugh:

Sometimes I screw up. Apologies to anyone I who feels I was unkind to them, whoever they may be.

I'm looking forward to orientation. Since nobody seems to want me to post here, I'm signing out for the summer. I hope to make friends with those of you who are willing to give me a fair shake.

Signing out.

Last edited:
soo... on a happier note...

3 weeks left of waitressing and then i'll never have to do it again in my life... WAhoooo!:laugh:

soo... on a happier note...

3 weeks left of waitressing and then i'll never have to do it again in my life... WAhoooo!:laugh:

I still miss it sometimes. Spent nearly 5 years bussing/serving/bartending at the highly esteemed chilis. :thumbup:

Then I went off and got a master's degree just to make less money than I did serving. :thumbdown: :laugh: :thumbdown:

If I didn't have a hand in 3 or 4 publications I'm trying to finish this summer I would have no doubt quit after being accepted, bartend somewhere, and just screw off until classes started. screw academic research.

what does "
user_online.gif
" mean under gerald's name mean. :eyebrow:

Personal attacks aren't nice. They hurt. Several of you said some extremely mean things in this thread, from saying I'll be in the bottom of the class as a doctor in 3rd year(Maggie08), a train wreck (tigerLSU), can't handle the pressure of M1 (Aggie08), have been deliberately unkind to others (Aggie08), and that you don't want to be in the same city I'm in (several people).

Perhaps you could refresh my memory as to why I deserve this treatment? I actually reread the posts I made in this thread back until page 3. I never attacked anyone personally in this entire thread. Quote me if you believe otherwise. I did criticize a couple of decisions that people made : but not the people themselves.

Anyways, I'm sorry whatever I did to deserve this. All the things you've said really do bother me, because I've really tried. I've tried to share information and ideas about lenders and websites and living arrangments and scribe service and all the rest. Evidently, somehow I've earned your enmity instead.

Goodbye SDN. I'll read any posts you make in response to this one, but I will not be making any more posts on SDN until I've earned an MD.

Last edited:
Habeed/GM/JohnDeer, I will give you a fair shake when school starts; I think I know who you are from the facebook group. You helped me personally with something on this site, and for that I'm appreciative. I really don't think you're a bad person from your comments here, and I'm sure everyone on here would agree. But I think what a lot of people on this thread would like to see is more humility out of you. Most, if not all, of us are nervous about med school (it's gonna be a drastic change to life, and many of us are moving hundreds of miles from home, which makes it only that much more crazy). To read someone say they already know the ropes and will essentially dominate is annoying and only makes things more tense. I guess what I'm trying to say is try to be more laid back; at Tech, everything's that way, and if you just go with the flow you won't get the negative comments from others. You have no idea what next year is going to be like, so don't pretend you do.

Personal attacks aren't nice. They hurt.
true true. just because YOU say them in a different thread doesn't mean you're exempt from your own advice.

Habeed/GM/JohnDeer, I will give you a fair shake when school starts; I think I know who you are from the facebook group. You helped me personally with something on this site, and for that I'm appreciative. I really don't think you're a bad person from your comments here, and I'm sure everyone on here would agree. But I think what a lot of people on this thread would like to see is more humility out of you. Most, if not all, of us are nervous about med school (it's gonna be a drastic change to life, and many of us are moving hundreds of miles from home, which makes it only that much more crazy). To read someone say they already know the ropes and will essentially dominate is annoying and only makes things more tense. I guess what I'm trying to say is try to be more laid back; at Tech, everything's that way, and if you just go with the flow you won't get the negative comments from others. You have no idea what next year is going to be like, so don't pretend you do.

+1 :thumbup:

Last edited:
so, he sent me a pm, to which i just replied... but i see his status has changed to 'banned'. does that mean he won't get it? (ie what happens when you're banned--can't log in?)

I agree with this. Let's not start a lot of friction before we start school.

(And please, no "yes dad" jokes!):)

So what is everyone doing about the "new laptop" thing? :confused: I hate spending so much money on one thing so I spend hours and hours debating and reading reviews etc... I think I'm going to go ahead and go with the recommended model/brand (Dell Latitude) except I decided to change a few things and build it on the dell website. They give an "internet savings" that makes it the same price as the "student savings" lol, but still i'm looking at 1,500... anyone have any experience with the Latitudes? I hate buying a computer without being able to "touch it" first.

So what is everyone doing about the "new laptop" thing? :confused: I hate spending so much money on one thing so I spend hours and hours debating and reading reviews etc... I think I'm going to go ahead and go with the recommended model/brand (Dell Latitude) except I decided to change a few things and build it on the dell website. They give an "internet savings" that makes it the same price as the "student savings" lol, but still i'm looking at 1,500... anyone have any experience with the Latitudes? I hate buying a computer without being able to "touch it" first.
I believe Best Buy sells Dells. Head on over and mess around with one. I definitely wouldn't buy one without fooling around with it first, but that may just be me.

I'm looking at a Sony Vaio at the moment, but who knows. I'm probably not going to get anything until school closes in a bit further because of how volatile PC hardware is.

the latitudes aren't sold at Best Buy. :(

don't know much about the lattitude, but i just got a brand new dell inspiron and i LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it. if you have any questions, i'd be happy to tell you what i can...

also, she's on a cruise right now--so you'd have to wait until next week to ask her--but justdoit31 also just bought a dell laptop (an XPS), so i'm sure she'd entertain any questions as well.

I've had nothing but good luck with dell's inspiron line.

I've been looking hard at tablet pcs, but everyone I talk to seems to try to talk me out of it. So I'm not really sure what I'm going to get yet.

I've had nothing but good luck with dell's inspiron line.

agreed. x10.

my last one was also an inspiron--had it for six years (an eternity in computer years) and it even survived a motorcycle accident in which it literally bounced across concrete for several feet (don't worry no one was hurt beyond minor scrapes/banged up knees--i was going slow), and it also survived a rainy season in rural thailand in which i transported it everywhere through the rain and in a sopping wet backpack while riding a bicycle and/or said motorcycle.

in the six years i never had a single non-cosmetic/structural problem. (in about year #4 one of the keyboard keys came off it when i started to drop it and proceeded to reflexively grab the keyboard, and earlier this year one of the hinges broke--most certainly a consequence of how hard i've been on it--but through it all, it never ceased computing it's little heart out and doing what i asked of it!) .

it's now happily in retirement, but i still have it and boot it up occasionally if i need something. (never bothered to transfer the hard drive memory, because the vast majority of school crap (etc.) i have on there, i'll never use again.

i know pc's aren't as hip and trendy as macs, but unless somehting drastic changes, i will never own anything but a dell.

So maggie is a biker chick? Explains just about everything! :laugh:

I've been looking hard at tablet pcs, but everyone I talk to seems to try to talk me out of it. So I'm not really sure what I'm going to get yet.
Yeah, I was looking at a tablet PC, but everything I've read about them wrt to school says people don't get much use out of it...

My post trifecta is a result of being in cruise control at work, but I'll stop for a bit.. heh

My post trifecta is a result of being in cruise control at work, but I'll stop for a bit.. heh

When are you done with work? I have one more week, but it's pretty laid back so I'll probably be on here a lot also.

So maggie is a biker chick? Explains just about everything! :laugh:

haha, it was when i was living in southeast asia... that's kinda the primary mode of transportation over there.

although I like really riding them, but i don't think i would ever drive one over here because it's more dangerous (lots more cars, higher rate of speed, motorists aren't used to looking for motorcycles). i've only ridden one in the states a couple of times: riding backseat with my dad :D

When are you done with work? I have one more week, but it's pretty laid back so I'll probably be on here a lot also.
June 12th is my last day. I'll be out of town a bit, but if you golf we should try to fit a round in over the summer.

June 12th is my last day. I'll be out of town a bit, but if you golf we should try to fit a round in over the summer.

I don't golf but I don't mind embarassing myself by swinging a club after a couple of pops. I'll be out of town for a while too, but I'll let you know.

My two spent cents about the laptop:
I've always been more of a desktop person, and a cheap-arse too, so there was no way I was gonna spend the entire allotment of ~$1600. So of course I went and got a used one off of Ebay...

My reasoning is that I also am gonna bring up my old desktop computer, so I really only need the laptop to last through the next 2 years. If it breaks in an unrepairable way before then though... definitely won't be pretty.

Brand-wise, I don't think you can really go wrong with the major ones especially with the included support... I would guess that the specific model is more indicative of reliability?

I went ahead and got the used tablet PC (Toshiba m400) because it should be more than fast enough for school, and because if I can reduce the amount of paper / printed notes I use by half, it is worth that extra functionality. Even if I don't use the stylus that much, it is still a great laptop. I aim to familiarize myself with the tablet functions over the summer to lessen the learning curve when classes start.

When all is said and done, any current laptop (even at $500 or $600 new) should easily blow past the minimum requirements we have from IT.

If we were to purchase a new laptop, I assume we wouldn't be able to use the fin aid to buy it since funds won't be disbursed until school starts. So basically, we'd be paying ourselves back, right? I think I read on this thread someone say funds were available July 15, but at ST they said it wasn't until right when classes start. Anyone know?

I am deciding how much to borrow...and my budget has me borrowing around 31,000. I'm just wondering about how much everyone else is taking out to get an idea if I am overshooting or undershooting. Thanks!

I am deciding how much to borrow...and my budget has me borrowing around 31,000. I'm just wondering about how much everyone else is taking out to get an idea if I am overshooting or undershooting. Thanks!
Is your budget 31k or are you only borrowing 31k to meet your budget? I'll be taking out as much as they let me for the first year just to make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible. If that's too much, I'll pull it back a bit for the remaining years. I've got a bit of cash saved up, but I just don't want money to be something I have to worry about along with school.

two months!!!! :hardy: :soexcited: :hardy:

(i'm not at all looking forward to it or anything)
;)

Did real physical activity yesterday for the first time in a while and now I can't move. :thumbdown: Need to work that out over my summer break...

Who's the old man now?:laugh:
I don't know, how old are you? :smuggrin:

My excuse is that I'm a software developer, and I need to stay in peak programming condition for work. It's not my fault that it isn't tennis playing condition!