Texas Tech class 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where you want to spend your 3rd and 4th years?

• Lubbock

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Amarillo

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • El Paso

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
arkroyal said:
overall, how are the financial aid packages? from what i've heard, not as much free money just because tuition is relatively cheap in tx.

Did other people get their financial aid package e-mails today? Any advice from the classes above us about financial aid??? I've never used the system before and am coming up with questions.
Jen:)

Members don't see this ad.

smiles33 said:
Did other people get their financial aid package e-mails today? Any advice from the classes above us about financial aid??? I've never used the system before and am coming up with questions.
Jen:)

There's not too much to tell...on your award letter (email) will be a link to a website where you have go through a small process to confirm your loan. The main thing is that you need to select your lender. Different lender's have various advantages (less fees or special discounts if you make payments on time), but in the end these differences are minimal. If you had a lender for undergrad, you may want to stick with them to make things easier, or if you plan on consolidating later, then you'll need to select a different lender. I've been using THE & they're fine (but so is everyone else). They don't check your credit or anything and your parents income no longer matters, basically Tech tells them you want money & they send it.

After paying tuition, you should get a refund check the week before class starts for around $9K. If you can buy all your books & live on this - you're fine, if not - go to student services & get a loan financial aid amendment form & tell them you want more.

If anyone has specific ?s, post them or send me a message.

So who's living where? I met a few students (here in C.S.) who will be living solo in Wyndham apts.

Here are a few others I'm considering (based on internet research):

Amberwood
Bear Creek
Canyon Crossing
Las Colinas
LaSalle Villas
Springfield
Summer Place
Sundowner
Sagewood

And now my head is spinning. :confused:

For those of you familiar with Lubbock housing, please post your opinions concerning where to live!!
Thanks, Lisa

Members don't see this ad :)
Leighsah,
Here are my thoughts on your housing list (the places I've been to anyhow):

1. Bear Creek - I know why you're considering it./ You've seen those lofts on the website & they're great right? There is about ZERO chance you will get a loft - waiting list is tremendous. Instead they'll try to put you in 1 of their 1 bedroom apts which are not so nice. (I went through this when trying to move here)

2. Canyon Crossing - several classmates live here. It's nice enough & close to school. You will most likely have about 5 of your classmates next door here

3. Springfield - very nice, gated. Apartments are nice on the inside & property is clean. Only con - you will pay for a 1-bedroom here what you would pay for a 2-bedroom at a lot of other places. You will also be 2 min from applebees which apparently some people consider a pro...

4. Summer place - I live here. 2 bedrooms with small backyards, for just over $500. More like duplexes than apartments. Many places with hardwood floors & small backyards. No other med students live here. Less than 10 min to school. Free cable. Main cons are the grounds could be nicer - high winds constantly blowing trash onto the grass & apt staff picks it up maybe once a month (if you're lucky) & you have to mow your own backyard. When it's warm I go to apt office,& borrow the weedeater once a month - takes about 10 minutes.

5. Sundowner - I'd stay away from. Too close to the mall & a little shady.

Unfortunately, I don't know enough about the others to help. Maybe someone else can fill in where I left off.

If you guys are choosing lenders soon I'd usggest "THE". I did some personal research and though I chose Chase lasts year (stupid) I found that changing over to THE would knock out those damn origination and guarantor fees as well as a better repayment rate reductions later on.

My undergrad loans are thorugh Wells Fargo, so I imagine I'll be sticking with them, anyone have any experience or info about them?

Also, what's up with the lender list pdf automatically launching a website everytime I mouse over a lender... annoying much.

p.s. First sdn post, I'm excited! :D

I am applying to Tech this year and if given the opportunity to interview there are there any peculiarities about Tech that I should be aware of? I am from West Texas and am interested in being a physician in the region, most likely FP/IM. I have had a couple of practice interviews with Dr. McMahon and Dr. Pelley and they went ok. Also did undergrad there.

Stats
returning student (Banking 2 years)
GPA 3.3
BCPM 3.92
Expected MCAT 31-32 (average on aamc's)

Thanks in advance,

I know the form says that you are not going to get placement in Lubbock just for buying a house. However, the dude I stayed with during interviews owned a house and he is a regular MD student. It is always an option if you are having trouble getting nice rent housing.

I just bought a house on Avenue X. We must have looked at 25 houses around town! The one I bought is nice, at 69000 the rent is going to be about 636 a month (including taxes, insurance, etc.)...that is less than my dinky apartment in Houston now. Plus when I move again in seven years (mdphd), I am giving it to my parents so they can make some money.

I guess in the short term not much equity will have accrued after two years, but just owning property is a good thing if it is desirable to renters.

mike

Dionysus said:
My undergrad loans are thorugh Wells Fargo, so I imagine I'll be sticking with them, anyone have any experience or info about them?

Also, what's up with the lender list pdf automatically launching a website everytime I mouse over a lender... annoying much.

that's strange, mine doesn't do that mouse over thing.

WestTexasRambler said:
I am applying to Tech this year and if given the opportunity to interview there are there any peculiarities about Tech that I should be aware of? I am from West Texas and am interested in being a physician in the region, most likely FP/IM. I have had a couple of practice interviews with Dr. McMahon and Dr. Pelley and they went ok. Also did undergrad there.

Stats
returning student (Banking 2 years)
GPA 3.3
BCPM 3.92
Expected MCAT 31-32 (average on aamc's)

Thanks in advance,

I noticed on your myspace that you're married. If you're marriend and a non-traditional applicant odds are that you'll be one of the few chosen to stay here in Lubbock. If you've got kids then almost certainly you'll get to stay here in Lubbock.

I'm not sure what you mean by peculiarities. There's nothing about Lubbock that you probably don't already know more than me about since you went to undergrad here.

Dionysus said:

you should watch out for the repayment perks.
some make you wait 36 r 48 months of regular payment before receiving a 1% reduction and they'll take away that reduction if you miss a payment by accident or something.

THE gives you a 1.3% reduction right away and if yu miss a payment there's aways to redeem it the next time you continue payment.

civic4982 said:
I noticed on your myspace that you're married. If you're marriend and a non-traditional applicant odds are that you'll be one of the few chosen to stay here in Lubbock. If you've got kids then almost certainly you'll get to stay here in Lubbock.

I'm not sure what you mean by peculiarities. There's nothing about Lubbock that you probably don't already know more than me about since you went to undergrad here.

Sorry brother,

I meant interview wise or philosophy wise. IE they really like appllicants that are XXXX. What percentage of your class did their undergrad at TTU ie are they particularly friendly to students who did their undergrad at Tech?

Thanks,

Charlie

arsenal -- Thanks so much for the thorough response. Your comments help a whole lot. I'm def looking into Summer Place ... b/c it seems like a good deal. At this point, I'm trying to decide if I prefer space or new/nice.

Thanks again!

Where is everyone else living?? RRGirl??

Members don't see this ad :)
civic4982 said:
you should watch out for the repayment perks.
some make you wait 36 r 48 months of regular payment before receiving a 1% reduction and they'll take away that reduction if you miss a payment by accident or something.

THE gives you a 1.3% reduction right away and if yu miss a payment there's aways to redeem it the next time you continue payment.
Good point.
I did notice that and THE does look nice. WF requirs 36 months, then gives 2.0%, but not sure if that really offsets missing the discount for first 36 months. https://www.wellsfargo.com/wf/student/loans/undergrad/stafford
Oh well.

WestTexasRambler said:
Sorry brother,

I meant interview wise or philosophy wise. IE they really like appllicants that are XXXX. What percentage of your class did their undergrad at TTU ie are they particularly friendly to students who did their undergrad at Tech?

Thanks,

Charlie

In my class, quite a lot graduated from Tx Tech's undergrad/grad/PT school, etc. I don't see any discrimination against former Tech grads.

I mean, holy cow, I'm an Aggie. I'm fully convinced they don't read those applications at all. :D

I just signed a lease at Springfield. Gosh, and I'm moving... soon!

Dr Nat Cat said:
I just signed a lease at Springfield. Gosh, and I'm moving... soon!
I signed a lease at Springfield too! :thumbup:

Tater said:
In my class, quite a lot graduated from Tx Tech's undergrad/grad/PT school, etc. I don't see any discrimination against former Tech grads.

I mean, holy cow, I'm an Aggie. I'm fully convinced they don't read those applications at all. :D

Yeah there must have been a glitch in the system..... ;)

Thanks for the reply. Did you interview at all of the other Texas schools and how did you rank Tech if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,

Charlie

WestTexasRambler said:
Yeah there must have been a glitch in the system..... ;)

Thanks for the reply. Did you interview at all of the other Texas schools and how did you rank Tech if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks,

Charlie

I interviewed at Tech, UTSA, and UT-Houston. UTMB wouldn't give me the time of day (thank goodness, a classmate transferred out there and didn't like it at all) and I didn't apply to A&M's school. (For no other reason than I was absolutely sick of College Station at that point. Plus, I didn't want to end up in Temple for two years.) UTSA had a bunch of issues going on the year I applied. I remember the first thing the director said was, "I know we don't have the best reputation, but we're working to fix that." I think whatever issues they had are a moot point now, but I guess I don't have to say that my interview experience went downhill after that.

I ranked Tech 2nd after Houston. I liked Houston mainly for the med center. Like you (I'm assuming), I grew up in West Texas, so going to Lubbock was a bit like going home. I like that the faculty has an honest and complete open-door policy, the facilities for students are very nice, and Lubbock is a comfortable and cheap place to live for a couple years.

I also chose Tech mainly for El Paso. Strange, but true. Your 3rd/4th years are going to be what you make it, no matter where you go, but I had an amazing experience out there. If you jump in there, you'll get to do quite a bit. (i.e. I had a few weeks where it was just me and the attending. So who saw the consults? I did. At my away rotation, they wouldn't even let the students do H&P's...I did them every day and was made absolutely responsible for the accuracy and completion.) And then there's the central lines, chest tubes, suturing, etc.

I'm not saying that you can't get that elsewhere (you should get it everywhere), but I'm happy I spent my four years with Tech. (Even if you are a bunch of tortilla-tossing goofballs. ;) )

I think you can see elsewhere the benefits/disadvantages of each campus. All in all, sure Texas Tech is "Texas Tech", but we do send our students to Yale, Wash U, MGH, etc for residency. And we can't forget the University of Maryland. :D

Tater said:
I interviewed at Tech, UTSA, and UT-Houston. UTMB wouldn't give me the time of day (thank goodness, a classmate transferred out there and didn't like it at all) and I didn't apply to A&M's school. (For no other reason than I was absolutely sick of College Station at that point. Plus, I didn't want to end up in Temple for two years.) UTSA had a bunch of issues going on the year I applied. I remember the first thing the director said was, "I know we don't have the best reputation, but we're working to fix that." I think whatever issues they had are a moot point now, but I guess I don't have to say that my interview experience went downhill after that.

I ranked Tech 2nd after Houston. I liked Houston mainly for the med center. Like you (I'm assuming), I grew up in West Texas, so going to Lubbock was a bit like going home. I like that the faculty has an honest and complete open-door policy, the facilities for students are very nice, and Lubbock is a comfortable and cheap place to live for a couple years.

I also chose Tech mainly for El Paso. Strange, but true. Your 3rd/4th years are going to be what you make it, no matter where you go, but I had an amazing experience out there. If you jump in there, you'll get to do quite a bit. (i.e. I had a few weeks where it was just me and the attending. So who saw the consults? I did. At my away rotation, they wouldn't even let the students do H&P's...I did them every day and was made absolutely responsible for the accuracy and completion.) And then there's the central lines, chest tubes, suturing, etc.

I'm not saying that you can't get that elsewhere (you should get it everywhere), but I'm happy I spent my four years with Tech. (Even if you are a bunch of tortilla-tossing goofballs. ;) )

I think you can see elsewhere the benefits/disadvantages of each campus. All in all, sure Texas Tech is "Texas Tech", but we do send our students to Yale, Wash U, MGH, etc for residency. And we can't forget the University of Maryland. :D

Where in West Texas are you from? I am from Coleman, which is West Texas by a stretch but I have very strong ties (grandparents live there) to Presidio. I am also very interested in going to El Paso for the reasons you mentioned and that I am interested in border healthcare, sort of 2 birds with one stone. I hear that the exposure at EP is great as you said and that excites me. :D

BTW Do you foresee any specialization in surgery? Congrats on landing one you are obviously pretty happy with.

Thanks for the in-depth reply.

Charlie

EDIT: Looked up residency match. congrats.

Dionysus said:

Throw away your money if you'd like. THE is the way to go for med school. Do some forum searches...... everyone's been happy with them and no fees

thackl said:
Throw away your money if you'd like. THE is the way to go for med school. Do some forum searches...... everyone's been happy with them and no fees
THE sounds good and all, but the websites say stick with what you have just because its easier. But similar websites have also been known to be over zealous with things of that nature, ie. "must buy a dell."
So do you think making the switch really isn't that bad and the THE benefits are worth the effort (however much or little that actually is)?

Leighsah said:
arsenal -- Thanks so much for the thorough response. Your comments help a whole lot. I'm def looking into Summer Place ... b/c it seems like a good deal. At this point, I'm trying to decide if I prefer space or new/nice.

Thanks again!

Where is everyone else living?? RRGirl??
Sorry, haven't bee on for a while. I rent house outside the loop. It is 3 y/o and I'm paying $995 for 3br/2ba/2cg. I really recommend renting house in Lubbock. Cheaper and more freedom.

Ok guys. I want to have a party at the lake (Alan Henry vs. Buffalo Springs) Everyone is invited. I'm bringing boat, some skis, grill and a little bit of food. You suppy whatever else you want. If you are interested PM or IM or email me if you have my email. Hope to see lots of people coming. Bring your kids if you have any as well.

Oh yeah, one more thing - campus assingments are mailed out on May 11th. Good luck to us all.

anyone renting out rooms in Lubbock or interested in sharing an apartment?

Another possibility is to take a look at the undergrad's newspaper. Occasionally, there will be a grad student who needs a roommate, or some fairly good deals on renting (by people who make a living renting to college/grad students).

The Daily Toreador

Just click on the link, then click on "classifieds" in the left menu, then click on "View ads" in the left menu. It just be the first available option...it will open a submenu with roommate requests, housing sales, and renting options. Its not much, but something else to look at.

i see that you are baltimore bound. i'm actually from there. Let me know if you have any questions about baltimore

Tater said:
Another possibility is to take a look at the undergrad's newspaper. Occasionally, there will be a grad student who needs a roommate, or some fairly good deals on renting (by people who make a living renting to college/grad students).

The Daily Toreador

Just click on the link, then click on "classifieds" in the left menu, then click on "View ads" in the left menu. It just be the first available option...it will open a submenu with roommate requests, housing sales, and renting options. Its not much, but something else to look at.

Hey, THANKS, Tater! :thumbup:

Does anyone know what the deadline is to decide on a lender for finacial aid?
thanks!

runbasketballde said:
i see that you are baltimore bound. i'm actually from there. Let me know if you have any questions about baltimore

When I went to go look at apartments, I just wandered aimlessly through downtown. If I saw a leasing office, then I'd go in. At one of them, I yanked on the doors and they were locked! It was the middle of the day, and they were closed. I walked around the entire building just flabbergasted. Why wouldn't they be open?! I tried the doors again, and noticed an intercom off to the side. I figured I'd try it out (because, you know, I saw it in a sitcom once) and what do you know, it worked.

That sums up me and Baltimore.

what's up guys? and girls?

i just found out about this a few days ago. pretty useful resource.

a couple questions:

1. i'm trying to figure out the lendor situation right now, as well, and thanks for the imput. it definitely helps. but my question is about health insurance. on the student service website, it mentions that we have to pay a medical service fee which covers very minor issues. is this enough, or do ya'll recommend that we purchase some additional coverage, and if so, what service should we go through?

2. i'm currently in dallas, and i saw that there are a few of my future classmates here as well, and there was some talk about getting together. i would love to meet those of ya'll that are here. anybody have any interest in meeting up?

anywho, let me know.

class of 2010.

sam

sam.mont said:
2. i'm currently in dallas, and i saw that there are a few of my future classmates here as well, and there was some talk about getting together. i would love to meet those of ya'll that are here. anybody have any interest in meeting up?

anywho, let me know.

class of 2010.

sam

Hi and Welcome Sam!

I am trying to get together a group to go bowling or play pool at the Main Event in Grapevine at 7:30ish on the 12th. There is also talk about going out to/on the lake June 17/18, June 24/25, or July 29/30. I think June 24/25 is not a good date for those of us going to the Diabetes Camp, but I'm trying to get an idea of what works well for everyone in the area. Please let me know if anyone is interested in joining us or what date you may prefer. PM or IM me.

sam.mont said:
what's up guys? and girls?

i just found out about this a few days ago. pretty useful resource.

a couple questions:

1. i'm trying to figure out the lendor situation right now, as well, and thanks for the imput. it definitely helps. but my question is about health insurance. on the student service website, it mentions that we have to pay a medical service fee which covers very minor issues. is this enough, or do ya'll recommend that we purchase some additional coverage, and if so, what service should we go through?

anywho, let me know.

class of 2010.

sam

Here is the info for sellers of academic health plans. Their insurance is cheap (I think it's about $500 a year with olny $300 deductable. Covers pretty much anything other than routine physicals. I will try to find their website and post it here if i find it.
Academic Health Plans
Phone: 888-308-7320

Mailing Address:
Box 1605
Colleyville , TX 76034-1605

RRGirl said:
Sorry, haven't bee on for a while. I rent house outside the loop. It is 3 y/o and I'm paying $995 for 3br/2ba/2cg. I really recommend renting house in Lubbock. Cheaper and more freedom.
If you have the credit, a purchase will save you even more (provided you'll be in Lubbock all 4yrs).

Where outside the loop are you? I'm near 82nd and Frankford.

thackl said:
If you have the credit, a purchase will save you even more (provided you'll be in Lubbock all 4yrs).

4th and Milwakee

thackl said:

I will be around 79th and Frankford...well, in August I will.

haphazallama said:
Hi and Welcome Sam!

I am trying to get together a group to go bowling or play pool at the Main Event in Grapevine at 7:30ish on the 12th. There is also talk about going out to/on the lake June 17/18, June 24/25, or July 29/30. I think June 24/25 is not a good date for those of us going to the Diabetes Camp, but I'm trying to get an idea of what works well for everyone in the area. Please let me know if anyone is interested in joining us or what date you may prefer. PM or IM me.

haphazallama,

here is my email address, [email protected]

let me know if ya'll are getting together this weekend. i'm probably going to the byron on saturday, and i'm not sure what time that will end, but i'll definitely try to make it bowling if at all possible. can't say i'm familiar with the main event, but as long as they turn the lights off, turn the music up, and the laser show on, i'll do my best to be there.

sam

sam.mont said:
haphazallama,

here is my email address, [email protected]

let me know if ya'll are getting together this weekend. i'm probably going to the byron on saturday, and i'm not sure what time that will end, but i'll definitely try to make it bowling if at all possible. can't say i'm familiar with the main event, but as long as they turn the lights off, turn the music up, and the laser show on, i'll do my best to be there.

sam

just realized today's the 11th, making tomorrow the 12th. not saturday. regardless, let me know if you get something organized.

Just wanted to let people know: 1) Info on white coat is up on the web 2) the book list is also on the web. Do any of the first years want to tell us which of the books we are actually going to want to buy???
THANKS!!!

smiles33 said:
Just wanted to let people know: 1) Info on white coat is up on the web 2) the book list is also on the web. Do any of the first years want to tell us which of the books we are actually going to want to buy???
THANKS!!!

Don't buy the STEDMAN'S Dictionary yet, AMA gives you those free when you join.

AND

Don't buy the NETTER'S ANATOMY yet, AMSA gives you that free when you join.

Basically it's cheaper than the price of the book usually to get it when you join these two organizations.

As for LENDERs, I posted a few pages back that the best lender to use in my opinion is "THE". No fees and good repayment plans since most of you will be paying back your loans within 6-8 years after leaving resiency. They drop your rates instantly 1.3% instead of the others who drop your rates 2% but only after 48 months of payments or 36 months of payments. If you calculate it out it's in your favor to use THE for the shorter term borrowing as opposed to the longer term borrowing if say you weren't planning on payin it back for a decade or two.

Plus, THE will allow you to regain your 1.3% even if you miss a payment as soon as you begin repayment again. Other firms may drop the inventive completely after you've missed a payment or make you have 12-24 months of consecutive payments to regain it.

civic4982 said:
Don't buy the STEDMAN'S Dictionary yet, AMA gives you those free when you join.

AND

Don't buy the NETTER'S ANATOMY yet, AMSA gives you that free when you join.

Basically it's cheaper than the price of the book usually to get it when you join these two organizations..

And what about all the other required and not required (but recommended) books?

Thank you to all who showed up for our bowling night in Lubbock. It was fun and I hope we will get to do it again soon with even more people coming. In a meanwhile if any of you girls want to go shopping I'm free any time. PM, IM, email or call me.

So my wife and I are making our first drive to Lubbock from Austin this weekend to look for a rental house--we flew for Spring Training. Has anyone made this trek before? What is the best/fastest way to get there by car? Roughly how long does it take?

sup fellow tech tools??

First off, congrats to all my fellow tech tools for gettin in :D

secondly, a friend of mine is lookin to sub-lease his place during the summer so any of you wanting to come up early or are in the joint MBA or JD programs need to PM me. He's providing a very attractive offer including a free case of beer
(*^_^*)

other than that, if you guys have any questions, feel free tp pm me but it seems civic, amy, & thackl are doin a great job :D

take care
sheezy