Texas Tech class 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where you want to spend your 3rd and 4th years?

• Lubbock

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Amarillo

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • El Paso

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
newdude said:
well i'm not gonna get cable (whos gonna have the time) or home phone (gonna use cell), so i don't have that option.

so there is no option in lubbock for fast internet?

also, the i' still concerned about the cell phone thing, will t-mobile work well.

I use this internet service called xanadoo. You can find information on it at www.xanadoo.com. I have been really pleased with them and they are cheap. Plus it is mobile so you can take it with you wherever you go. They offer some incentives for recommending people so if you decide to go with them, could you pm me? Also, if you have any questions pm me. :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

thackl said:
I met rwhit at Joyland while in line for that 70ft tall, nearly verticle slip-n-slide thing. My boy made his 4th trip up and down (the stairs :love: ). He's been getting a lot more brave in the last yr, but nor quite ready for this one. I went down, nearly flipped, then sank at the bottom and got SOAKED!

BTW, I'm 32 and by far, not the oldest in the class.

I am impressed he even made it up the stairs, I don't think my oldest (5) would have made it that far. I was glad to find out that there is life beyond the walls of the HSC and time for family life and medical school.

newdude said:
well i'm not gonna get cable (whos gonna have the time) or home phone (gonna use cell), so i don't have that option.

so there is no option in lubbock for fast internet?

also, the i' still concerned about the cell phone thing, will t-mobile work well.

I have several friends in the Lubbock area that use T-Mobile and seem to like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cox does own lubbock, and don't expect even minimally descent customer service, that's just the way it is. Internet is fast though...

I used T-Mobile in lubbock for several years, it works fine.

Cox owns the cable internet market in Lubbock, but there is also SBC, if you are interested in DSL.

I just got off of the waitlist yesterday. I was wondering if anyone needed a roommate, because the Student Affairs office does not have a list!

lanzarlaluna said:
Cox owns the cable internet market in Lubbock, but there is also SBC, if you are interested in DSL.

i heard DSL is the other option. i mean cox is $50, that's crazy. i think DSL is much cheaper. but, in terms of speed, how does SBC DSL compare to Cox. and any idea who i contact in lubbock to get SBC DSL.

Thanatos said:
Cox does own lubbock, and don't expect even minimally descent customer service, that's just the way it is. Internet is fast though...

I used T-Mobile in lubbock for several years, it works fine.

people are telling me to get cingular, which is just tiny bit more expensive then t-mobile. they are saying t-mobile's service is not that good in lubbock and that people get alot of dropped calls.

can anyone PLEASE shed light on this, cause i'm already in lubbock and i need cell phone pretty badly.

thanks

newdude said:
people are telling me to get cingular, which is just tiny bit more expensive then t-mobile. they are saying t-mobile's service is not that good in lubbock and that people get alot of dropped calls.

can anyone PLEASE shed light on this, cause i'm already in lubbock and i need cell phone pretty badly.

thanks

I use Alltel. I am new to Lubbock but so far I have not had too many problems. I had Alltel before so I do not have much to compare it with though.

No matter what service you choose you will see an ad for another service that will have a better offer 15 minutes after you sign the contract.
Rich

rwhit said:
I use Alltel. I am new to Lubbock but so far I have not had too many problems. I had Alltel before so I do not have much to compare it with though.

No matter what service you choose you will see an ad for another service that will have a better offer 15 minutes after you sign the contract.
Rich

Amen to that, Rich
And what even more disturbing is that all networks will drop calls every now and then. You are out of luck, newdude!

RRGirl said:
Amen to that, Rich
And what even more disturbing is that all networks will drop calls every now and then. You are out of luck, newdude!

i hear you RRgirl, i guess i'm wondering which one will do it least.

cingular and alltel seem just a bit more pricier and seem to offer a little less minutes.

anyway, i'm still trying to get a cell ASAP and can use any info/advice/recommendation.

thanks

newdude said:
i hear you RRgirl, i guess i'm wondering which one will do it least.

cingular and alltel seem just a bit more pricier and seem to offer a little less minutes.

anyway, i'm still trying to get a cell ASAP and can use any info/advice/recommendation.

thanks

Well, Alltel is the one who offers free calls to 10 numbers on any network now so that is alot of minutes. I would go with them.

RRGirl said:
Well, Alltel is the one who offers free calls to 10 numbers on any network now so that is alot of minutes. I would go with them.

That does seem like a good deal. I'll be anxiously awaiting my contract to expire. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
TexPre-Med said:
That does seem like a good deal. I'll be anxiously awaiting my contract to expire. :)

Did you know that we all are enrolled into classes now?

Howdy fellas

2nd year here.

well first off the phones: I use cingular (it bought at&t) so the coverage is phenomenal. My friends use t mobile which is fine too. Lubbock is full of wide open spaces, so signal reception is usually not a prob.

secondly, the books:

i will send out a detailed list later on in august. Now the stuff that i used/recommend is wat u need if you wanna ACE everything (not just pass).

Anatomy: Baby moores (read it befiore lectures, its a fast read). The blue boxes are great. I also got the big moores, but only for the blue boxes.

BRS Anatomy: AKA the bible. read it 8 - 9 times and you are gold. there are couple other websites which i will send out in august which are great for practice.

Embryology: borrow the text from a 2nd year since you wont need it later on. Embryo is conceptually harder so the text helps. just do a quick read through.

High yield Embryo: This is the book you need. It has great clinical correlates. A Secret: I also noticed at the end of the block that our prof was using a lot of test qns from kaplan Qbook. try to get your hands on this, it was unfortunaltely too late for me.

Biochem/Histo/Genetics: I checked out the biochem book from the student affairs office (i still have it with me ;) ). Read the biochem part of the book only, not the genetics.
for 80 % of the block though, i just used lecture notes and old tests.

Physio:
Cardio: This will be your hardest block. I bought the required text for this, i thought it was decent. Also buy BRS phys (i also got the NMS physio just for cardio). for practice qns i used appleton and lange physio, i thought it was OK.

Renal: JUST use class notes and Jansen's bucket book plus old tests.

GI: Again class notes and old tests.

Respiratory: GET the required book i thought it was awesome plus old tests and brs phys.

Endocrine: class notes, brs, old tests.

Microbiology/Immuno:Buy the immuno book, Class notes, Micro cards, Qbank for the final shelf exam and old tests (I made the mistake of not using first aide, so i would use it if i were you)

thats all i can think of right now.
hit me up for more qns.

TX_Longhorn said:
Howdy fellas

2nd year here.

well first off the phones: I use cingular (it bought alltel) so the coverage is phenomenal. My friends use t mobile which is fine too. Lubbock is full of wide open spaces, so signal reception is usually not a prob.

secondly, the books:

i will send out a detailed list later on in august. Now the stuff that i used/recommend is wat u need if you wanna ACE everything (not just pass).

Anatomy: Baby moores (read it befiore lectures, its a fast read). The blue boxes are great. I also got the big moores, but only for the blue boxes.

BRS Anatomy: AKA the bible. read it 8 - 9 times and you are gold. there are couple other websites which i will send out in august which are great for practice.

Embryology: borrow the text from a 2nd year since you wont need it later on. Embryo is conceptually harder so the text helps. just do a quick read through.

High yield Embryo: This is the book you need. It has great clinical correlates. A Secret: I also noticed at the end of the block that our prof was using a lot of test qns from kaplan Qbook. try to get your hands on this, it was unfortunaltely too late for me.

Biochem/Histo/Genetics: I checked out the biochem book from the student affairs office (i still have it with me ;) ). Read the biochem part of the book only, not the genetics.
for 80 % of the block though, i just used lecture notes and old tests.

Physio:
Cardio: This will be your hardest block. I bought the required text for this, i thought it was decent. Also buy BRS phys (i also got the NMS physio just for cardio). for practice qns i used appleton and lange physio, i thought it was OK.

Renal: JUST use class notes and Jansen's bucket book plus old tests.

GI: Again class notes and old tests.

Respiratory: GET the required book i thought it was awesome plus old tests and brs phys.

Endocrine: class notes, brs, old tests.

Microbiology/Immuno:Buy the immuno book, Class notes, Micro cards, Qbank for the final shelf exam and old tests (I made the mistake of not using first aide, so i would use it if i were you)

thats all i can think of right now.
hit me up for more qns.

And did you ace everything?

TX_Longhorn said:

Great!Thank you for your advice. How much time did you spend studying though to get so good at those subjects?

RRGirl said:
Great!Thank you for your advice. How much time did you spend studying though to get so good at those subjects?

hmmm...few hrs everyday. I also used weekends.
Dont worry though, u'll all get used to it. Also, listen to what thackl has to say. His advice helped me a lot when i started.

TX_Longhorn said:
hmmm...few hrs everyday. I also used weekends.
Dont worry though, u'll all get used to it. Also, listen to what thackl has to say. His advice helped me a lot when i started.
Get a big sib and use them often. I'm about to take the USMLE :rolleyes: Too much fun and too little studying this summer..... good thing derm isn't high on my wish list.

Afterward, I'll drag up last yr's thread with my advice to MS1's. It's still good advice, but the MS2's will have better since they just completed the 'new' schedule.

thackl said:
Get a big sib and use them often. I'm about to take the USMLE :rolleyes: Too much fun and too little studying this summer..... good thing derm isn't high on my wish list.

Afterward, I'll drag up last yr's thread with my advice to MS1's. It's still good advice, but the MS2's will have better since they just completed the 'new' schedule.

Good luck on your exam. Let me know if you want to ditch your kids afterwards and go to celebrate. I will babysit for you. Ana would be happy to have a sleepover.

RRGirl said:
Good luck on your exam. Let me know if you want to ditch your kids afterwards and go to celebrate. I will babysit for you. Ana would be happy to have a sleepover.
Thanks so much for offering. We're hittin the road immediately after the test.... first for a wedding, then for a family get-together/vacation. I'll get in touch when we return.

thackl said:
Thanks so much for offering. We're hittin the road immediately after the test.... first for a wedding, then for a family get-together/vacation. I'll get in touch when we return.

Where you going? I'm off to Ruidoso this weekend.

RRGirl said:
Where you going? I'm off to Ruidoso this weekend.
Brenham, then Austin, then Lake LBJ

What about this book on physical exams/history taking? Needed?

Anyone willing to sell their books to me used?

hey all,
i'm a newbie starting this fall, just had a couple of questions. anyone have any impressions of the branchwater apts/villas? also, anyone looking for a room/roommate, pm me! thanks in advance, all of you are incredibly helpful.

What is Craiglist?? I would like to have a roommate preferably a girl... If anyone knows of anyone please PM me!

bluelotus1214 said:
What is Craiglist?? I would like to have a roommate preferably a girl... If anyone knows of anyone please PM me!

Craigslist is a free classified ads site that does not require registration. Since the Lubbock (http://lubbock.craigslist.org) site just started monday there aren't a lot of posts on there. See the austin site for reference for what a post should look like (http://austin.craigslist.org), as it has more posts. Basically people will post rooms that are available. Also if you are looking for a room you can post as well. For someone to reply to your posting, one must reply to an annonymous address. So there are no worries about giving your email to strangers. I have found in austin that its mainly graduate students and professionals that use the site. So its pretty reliable

Has any one started a yahoo group for our class? If not I started on which will allow us to send messages to one another. This could be helpful in coordinating roommates and other things.

To Post a Message to the Group email:
Post message: [email protected]

To Subscribe to the Group email:
Subscribe: [email protected]

To Unsubscribe to the Group email:
Unsubscribe: [email protected]

Or goto http://groups.yahoo.com/group/txtechsom2010/ and click "join this group"

NOTE: A Yahoo account is NOT necessary to join. Just send an email to [email protected] from any email address.. You will be sent an email asking you to confirm your invite. Upon confirmation, choose to only receive emails. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from everyone in the class!

runbasketballde said:
Has any one started a yahoo group for our class? If not I started on which will allow us to send messages to one another. This could be helpful in coordinating roommates and other things.

Or goto http://groups.yahoo.com/group/txtechsom2010/ and click "join this group"

I just joined!

BTW Don't forget to complete your safety training online on TTUHCS SOM website.

RRGirl said:
BTW Don't forget to complete your safety training online on TTUHCS SOM website.

Not sure if I remember hearing about this.. do you have the specific link to this training? Thanks!

RRGirl said:
Here it is. Just click on the link at the bottom of that page and have fun.

http://www.ttuhsc.edu/admin/safety/student/

In section 2 note, "in the event that a bomb threat is called on your phone, please note the person's age, sex, race."

Did you catch that? If someone calls a phone that I answer, I will definitely remember to take note of their race. haha, riiiiiiighht.

We need to have a school get-togethor soon, Newb's MS 2's, 3's ....whoever. It would be nice to put faces to some of the names and might make the first few days a little more tolerable. Any suggestions?

runbasketballde said:

NOTE: A Yahoo account is NOT necessary to join. Just send an email to [email protected] from any email address.. You will be sent an email asking you to confirm your invite. Upon confirmation, choose to only receive emails. Thanks and looking forward to hearing from everyone in the class!

I'm in.

rwhit said:
We need to have a school get-togethor soon, Newb's MS 2's, 3's ....whoever. It would be nice to put faces to some of the names and might make the first few days a little more tolerable. Any suggestions?

You need to organize it. I did the last few times and now I'm retired for a while :D

RRGirl said:
You need to organize it. I did the last few times and now I'm retired for a while :D

I guess we could all meet some where for a couple of drinks, or maybe something for the entire family. Any ideas?

rwhit said:
I guess we could all meet some where for a couple of drinks, or maybe something for the entire family. Any ideas?

Copper Cabooze on 50th and Slide. They have drinks, food, pool and games too as far as I remember. I'll be out of town till Monday though so if you can organize it some time next week.

just wondering, do most of you guys plan on paying your unsubsidized interest during the school year?

obiwan said:
just wondering, do most of you guys plan on paying your unsubsidized interest during the school year?

yes. :thumbup:

obiwan said:
I may be doing funny math, but I decided to pay on it. I also owe money from undergrad. So, I'll likely be trying to pay interest there too. :thumbdown:

obiwan said:

hey guys,

i'm curious where do you get this money, i mean are you just gonna pay the interest from the loan you took out. That doesn't make sense, i mean wouldn't it be better to take smaller amount of loan out.

just curious.
thanks

p.s. what are ya'll doing up.

newdude said:
hey guys,

i'm curious where do you get this money, i mean are you just gonna pay the interest from the loan you took out. That doesn't make sense, i mean wouldn't it be better to take smaller amount of loan out.

just curious.
thanks

p.s. what are ya'll doing up.

Someone help me out here because I'm not sure that I understand this...but this is the way that I think it all works.

It would be better to borrow a little (little being a relative term) more money than you need to pay the interest, so that when you graduate the interest is not added to your original loan amount. If that happens, then you get charged interest on interest! Who likes to pay interest on money that they never even received?!?!

So, my scenario, albeit unrealistic, has someone borrowing 10,000/year for four years with a 5% interest rate.

Time Loan Rate Accrual w/ Interest w/o Interest
MS1 10,000 0.05 500.00
MS2 10,000 0.05 500.00
MS3 10,000 0.05 500.00
MS4 10,000 0.05 500.00 12,000 10,000

MS2 10,000 0.05 500.00
MS3 10,000 0.05 500.00
MS4 10,000 0.05 500.00 11,500 10,000

MS3 10,000 0.05 500.00
MS4 10,000 0.05 500.00 11,000 10,000

MS4 10,000 0.05 500.00 10,500 10,000

So, by the end of four years you owe 45,000 on the 40,000 you originally borrowed. Which yes, it is a valid argument that you would have borrowed 5k more than you needed to keep that interest from accruing, but in your first year of repayment you won't be charged $250 of interest just on the interest you've already accrued.

40,000 * 5% = 2,000
45,000 * 5% = 2,250

Well, ok, so in my scenario, you're a doctor now. Who cares about the extra $250 in interest due to interest? Small potatoes, right? You've only increased your principal by about 10%. Back to the real world. I think med. students borrow ~ 20k/year and the interest rate is variable with a cap at 8.25%. (Right now, I believe it's 6.8%.) That turns the numbers into:

80,000 * 6.8% = 5,440
93,600 * 6.8% = 6,365

That almost $1000/year interest on money you never had! And you've increased your principal by closer to 20%. I guess I'd rather give them back some money to cover the interest than pay interest on the interest when I'm out of school.

Anyone else have input on this? Or am I just confused and confusing others?

I thought there were loans out there that didn't accrue interest until after grad school. no?

TexPre-Med said:
I thought there were loans out there that didn't accrue interest until after grad school. no?

Yes, there actually are - financial aid told me that Stafford loans are offered to med students, giving $8500/year interest free - I still have to fill out forms and get details, but you might want to look into that

Here's how to set up your e-mail for those who haven't yet:
https://eraider.ttuhsc.edu/signin.asp
Hopefully you've got your name and password set up - they did give instruction on that...if not let me know and I'll post how to get that all set up.
Click on : Manage your eRaider Account
Then you need to activate TTUHSC.EDU Windows domain account on the left hand side. It took about 24 hours for it to work for me even though I think it says 15 minutes. Once it's working you should be able to go to mail.ttuhsc.edu and log into your e-mail. Hope this helps!
If anyone else has already done this and I've left something out feel free to add more information:)

smiles33 said:
Here's how to set up your e-mail for those who haven't yet:
https://eraider.ttuhsc.edu/signin.asp
Hopefully you've got your name and password set up - they did give instruction on that...if not let me know and I'll post how to get that all set up.
Click on : Manage your eRaider Account
Then you need to activate TTUHSC.EDU Windows domain account on the left hand side. It took about 24 hours for it to work for me even though I think it says 15 minutes. Once it's working you should be able to go to mail.ttuhsc.edu and log into your e-mail. Hope this helps!
If anyone else has already done this and I've left something out feel free to add more information:)

i'm trying to get mine asap, can you list all the steps.

it's says i need activation code, how do i get that.

First off, I think you need to receive an e-mail from [email protected] with your personal info for e-mail set up. Well, mine was more of a reminder, so maybe there's a faster way to go about getting the code you need. (shrug) Anyway, here's my e-mail (minus my info, of course) to show you what to expect:

Dear What's-your-face,

Recently we notified you that an eRaider account has been created for you. Your eRaider account is required to access online services at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center. At the time of this email you have not activated your eRaider account. Your eRaider username, activation code and instructions for activating your eRaider account are listed below.

Name: What's-your-face
eRaider Account: some abbreviated combo of the first few letters of your first and last name
Activation Code: ######

Activate Your eRaider Account

At the web address http://eraider.ttuhsc.edu click on the link 'Activate Account'.

Step 1 : Enter the required details using the eRaider account name and activation code supplied above, then click "I Agree".

Step 2 : Set your eRaider password using a randomly generated password or you can type your own (must be exactly 8 characters; letters and digits only; case sensitive), Click Next.

Step 3 : Select a Password Reminder question, enter your answer to that question, Click Next.

Step 4 : Click the button Activate Account to complete the activation process.

If you have questions or problems activating your eRaider account, please contact the IT Help Desk for your campus.

Amarillo: (806) 354-5404 [email protected]
El Paso: (915) 545-6800 [email protected]
Lubbock: (806) 743-2875 [email protected] (The Lubbock Help Desk is available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
Odessa: (432) 335-5108 [email protected]

There you go- hope that helps. :)
Lisa