Texas Tech class 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where you want to spend your 3rd and 4th years?

• Lubbock

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Amarillo

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • El Paso

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
thinmints said:
i know this is a lame question...

but when does school start? i looked everywhere and i couldn't find it.

probably the first week of August (orientation is usually then)

you can skip it like me but they'll tell you you can't.

I went to NYC for a week and came back the last day of orientation before whitecoat... 10 minutes into walking-in the lecture hall I won something in raffle :) ... suckaz!!!

Members don't see this ad.

RRGirl said:
Thack, who will pay for all activities? Do we need to bring any money?
TTU pays for it and gives you some free crap and bottles of wine. Extra/late night stuff is on you (or Civic :laugh: )

Free crap..... Sounds tempting..... I'm definately going.

Another Q for current MSs: how much you spent on supplies (not counting computer). And speaking of computer - do you bring it to class or it's not necessary?

Members don't see this ad :)
RRGirl said:
Free crap..... Sounds tempting..... I'm definately going.

Another Q for current MSs: how much you spent on supplies (not counting computer). And speaking of computer - do you bring it to class or it's not necessary?
Laptop is handy, but not necessary. Wait to buy stuff...... resist urge to buy req'd books. For the books you do want; get em off Ebay or other discounter or upperclassman. Overall, I probably spend 300-600/semester on supplies.

Thackl, you have any books for sale? :D

lanzarlaluna said:
Not a lot of SDNers in the class of 2010. :(

Soooooooo, anyone started browsing for housing?

so, two dumb questions...

1) Does Cingular have any decent coverage out in Lubbock? I remember it being patchy. Their website claims coverage, but what do people living there really use?

2) Do most students have roommates?

(ok, ok - so that was really more like 3 Q's)

Sprint has a large subsidiary based here (Alamosa PCS) so I think they cover the area pretty well, I have had the service for 2 years and never had problems dropping calls unless I was in Jones Stadium for a football game.

WOS

hey guys!

I think you pretty much need the laptop-we use it for a few required conference type things besides it being really handy.

Also, I have Cingular and have never had a problem with it.

And come to Spring Training...this is put together mostly by us MSI's and we look forward to meeting all of you!

How about lecture notes? Are they downloadable somewhere or everybody takes their own notes?

RRGirl said:
Thackl, you have any books for sale? :D
I could probably sell you some, but they would be the crummy 1st yr req'd stuff that I'm encouraging you not to buy. You're welcome to borrow my Moore's Anatomy, embro stuff, histo, etc in case need to look material up in more depth for "Students-Teaching-Students" or something like that. An anatomy atlas and BRS type review books are things you should buy new/like new and keep (at least until boards). Just let me know what you would like when you get here. :thumbup:

Lily22 said:
And come to Spring Training...this is put together mostly by us MSI's and we look forward to meeting all of you!

indeed... we do look forward to meeting you. all.. :love:

ok only joking but seriosuly, it's lotsa fun!

civic4982 said:
indeed... we do look forward to meeting you. all.. :love:

ok only joking but seriosuly, it's lotsa fun!

I'm in. Just tell me when and where. :hardy:

Members don't see this ad :)
Vinh, I found your ID!!!!!!! Email or IM me if you want it back.

So Stephanie and I were wondering where are the rest of our class. Was the class thread as dead last year as this?

Leighsah said:

Congratulations!! :clap:Where have you been all this time?

BTW if anybody wants to chat with me I'm on AOL under RRGirlBP
Or you just can ask civic, he gives away my location to everybody :D

RRGirl said:
Congratulations!! :clap:Where have you been all this time?

My friend, Von (2nd year), told me about this place. I'm in C.S. right now, and I'd like to head up there for Spring Training.. just not sure if I can work it out. So I presume you are already in Lubbock RRGirl. Did you get your undergrad from Tech? How do you like it there?

Leighsah said:
My friend, Von (2nd year), told me about this place. I'm in C.S. right now, and I'd like to head up there for Spring Training.. just not sure if I can work it out. So I presume you are already in Lubbock RRGirl. Did you get your undergrad from Tech? How do you like it there?

I'm graduating from Tech this May. The first year and a half was really boring but then I got used to it. Not like you going to have any time to go out anyway in medical school anyway. :) The best thing about Lubbock is the cheap rent and everything is within 15 minutes of driving. Oh and Citybus is free for Tech students so you don't even need a car.

Leighsah said:
Von is very involved. He'll be able to help you out a lot!

Since finding out about medical school, I've been doing more partying than SDNing. Hey classmates!

TexPre-Med said:
Since finding out about medical school, I've been doing more partying than SDNing. Hey classmates!

Hey yourself. You've got the right idea. I think I shall take on partying myself. Kill few brain cells before school starts. :D

What kind of laptop do yall recommend? I know we are given certain requirements, but do some computers seem to work better with required software? Are there certain brands (or types) that make so much noise that they piss you off during class? Inform us MS-.5 will ya.

RRGirl said:
So Stephanie and I were wondering where are the rest of our class. Was the class thread as dead last year as this?

I'm here :) I heard that some of the bigger houses in Lubbock rent out their guest houses. Any info on how to find out about that or if it's a good idea?
Thanks!
~Class 2010

smiles33 said:
I'm here :) I heard that some of the bigger houses in Lubbock rent out their guest houses. Any info on how to find out about that or if it's a good idea?
Thanks!
~Class 2010
Hey smiles, my aunt works for westmark realtors in lubbock. You can view some properties that they have for rent at lubbock4rent.com. Maybe it is not what you had in mind. Just out of curiousity, did you interview at the end of September? Are you flying/driving out to Spring Training?

Most of those are located in Tech Terrace and it is right across the street from university which means very short commute or you can even ride a bike and not pay for parking permit. But they don't look very appealing. If you are not very picky it is cheap living but I would rather rent newer house and find a couple of roommates. I rent 3br/2ba house for 995. Find 2 roommates and you have a nice house for $300/mos....
The way I look for the house is I drive around the neighborhood where I would like to live. More often than not there are several houses for rent on any given street. University news paper is a good source too. Just walk into any building on campus and pick it up.

I got my letter from Tech today about spring training. It will take place March 31st-April 2nd in case anybody wonders.

PS My apologies for multiple (...) posts. Apparently server had some problems last night and it posted bunch of copies of the same reply. :oops:

haphazallama said:
Hey smiles, my aunt works for westmark realtors in lubbock. You can view some properties that they have for rent at lubbock4rent.com. Maybe it is not what you had in mind. Just out of curiousity, did you interview at the end of September? Are you flying/driving out to Spring Training?
I'm pretty sure my interview was in October. Wow, everything seems like such a blur. Currently, I'm planning on driving out early on that Friday in time to get there for the dinner. We should see if anyone in the Dallas area wants to meet before we go out there. That way we can plan rides and such. Let me know what you think:) And anyone else out there from Dallas.

smiles33 said:
I'm pretty sure my interview was in October. Wow, everything seems like such a blur. Currently, I'm planning on driving out early on that Friday in time to get there for the dinner. We should see if anyone in the Dallas area wants to meet before we go out there. That way we can plan rides and such. Let me know what you think:) And anyone else out there from Dallas.
Yeah, sorry. I made that drive when I interviewed. This time I looked for a plane ticket :( Maybe there are other folks in the Dallas area that you could make the trip with. Then again, round trip on American out of DFW is ~$125 still. 2 hours flying vs 11.5 hours driving. $125 vs $gas? ~50-60 :eek:

smiles33 said:

I'll be driving out of Fort Worth if you need a ride. I don't have class on Friday so I am good whenever. Do you know where you are staying yet? Any ideas on nice, close hotels anyone?

TexPre-Med said:
I'll be driving out of Fort Worth if you need a ride. I don't have class on Friday so I am good whenever. Do you know where you are staying yet? Any ideas on nice, close hotels anyone?

I was actually thinking of staying with a first or second year (it mentioned it in the first packet we got). For the interview I stayed at the LaQuinta and it was only $40/night. But I seem to think the hotel right next to it wasn't much more expensive, nicer, and had a free airport shuttle for anyone who's flying.
Question for the med students: what's good/bad about each of the 3rd/4th year campuses? Anyone know what date we have to decide by?

smiles33 said:
I was actually thinking of staying with a first or second year (it mentioned it in the first packet we got). For the interview I stayed at the LaQuinta and it was only $40/night. But I seem to think the hotel right next to it wasn't much more expensive, nicer, and had a free airport shuttle for anyone who's flying.
Question for the med students: what's good/bad about each of the 3rd/4th year campuses? Anyone know what date we have to decide by?

from what i remember, we dont have to decide until the end of our first year? i'm not 100% sure though.

did everyone receive their spring training package already? i haven't gotten mine yet. i'll be leaving out of fort worth also. i'm not sure whether to drive or fly

i also haven't gotten the package where we have to send in our $100 deposit. i just hope i'm not out of the loop.

TexPre-Med said:

during my interview i stayed at the hawthorn suites. it's pretty nice and comfy and not too far from campus. i used my reward points so i'm not sure exactly how much it costs.

thinmints said:
from what i remember, we dont have to decide until the end of our first year? i'm not 100% sure though.

did everyone receive their spring training package already? i haven't gotten mine yet. i'll be leaving out of fort worth also. i'm not sure whether to drive or fly

i also haven't gotten the package where we have to send in our $100 deposit. i just hope i'm not out of the loop.

I received spring training info with my acceptance letter. i think we should all be receiving the package with info about 3rd/4th yr campus choices and papers to sign and return with our deposit. i believe we have to return those papers and make our campus choice by April 1st (not an april fool's joke).

Yeah, you'll have to fill out your preference sheet pretty quick. I knew where I was going by May of last year.
If you'll search for our thread from last year, you can find what everyone says about the different campuses.
If you haven't RSVP'd for spring training, do it, we're trying to finalize plans and send an email itinerary. Feel free to sign up to stay with a med student..we have plenty of volunteers.

There is not much about locations in last years thread. Anyone have any opinions on Lubbock, El Paso, or Amarillo? Also what is the quietest, nicest apartments in Lubbock?

Ok, ok I'll type something out. ;)
Lubbock: Hardest to get because mostly marrieds/those with SO's/connections get to stay, but there are exceptions. Learn a lot, stay busy. Serves almost all of west TX + some, so you get to see a lot.
Amarillo: Town wise, it's a lot like Lubbock, minus the big college atmosphere. About as many people go there as stay in Lubbock. Supposedly the most laid back. Great for surgery b/c there's no surgery residency there so you get to do a lot.
El Paso: Biggest group goes there. Get to (read: must) learn Spanish. Deliver lots of babies and see lots of cool border diseases. Biggest city, more culture.
A lot of people in my class live in Springfield and the Dominion, but they are pricey (for Lubbock). I know a couple in Bear Creek and the Fountains that have said good things. Stay away from : Jefferson Commons, Raiders Pass, and Sterling..as they are mostly rowdy undergrads. The housing market is down in Lubbock right now cause they have built so much, so you could probably find a house for a pretty good deal too.

with the new curriculum, how long are the class days

also what is the best place for emergency med, i'm assuming el paso but i know lubbock has some good resources too

arkroyal said:
with the new curriculum, how long are the class days

also what is the best place for emergency med, i'm assuming el paso but i know lubbock has some good resources too

The class days are pretty variable. On tuesdays and thursdays, we have clinical experience....so, unless it's your day to be in the clinics, you have the entire afternoon off. I would just goto the curriculum page and look up the curriculum schedule for class of 2009. That should give you some idea. Last semester, we had fewer lectures for anatomy and you can leave dissection lab early in the afternoon (if you want), so you actually get a lot of free time, but the hard part is to spend it productively :p

I would think El Paso's a much better place to get ER experience. I think the flow in Lubbock is more variable...sometimes more patients and sometimes very quiet. To have an ER residency problem (which El Paso has), they have to have a large enough volume of patients.