Texas Tech class 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where you want to spend your 3rd and 4th years?

• Lubbock

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Amarillo

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • El Paso

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
this is a toughy and i know you guys are NOT gonna like this...BUT

(SECRET # 1) I only used 1 required txtbook all yr; my Netters for anatomy...and thats it!!

everything else comes from notes/lecture

but i did use the board review series books for all the classes (which i dont think is on the required lists) and also bought the "mini-moores" (which is also not required and you'll know what im talkin about once you get here)

(SECRET #2) every class after block 1 (which is anatomy) you just need to answer and know how to answer the "objectives" printed on the notes for the lecture...you'll see wat i mean by objectives once you guys start taking classes

thas all 4 now (*^_^*)

Members don't see this ad.

whtdasheezy said:

(SECRET # 1) I only used 1 required txtbook all yr; my Netters for anatomy...and thats it!!

but i did use the board review series books for all the classes (which i dont think is on the required lists) and also bought the "mini-moores" (which is also not required and you'll know what im talkin about once you get here)

(SECRET #2) every class after block 1 (which is anatomy) you just need to answer and know how to answer the "objectives" printed on the notes for the lecture...you'll see wat i mean by objectives once you guys start taking classes

thas all 4 now (*^_^*)

If it is true we all will love you 4ever!!!!

TECH NEWS UPDATE
So I went to student affairs office today and said"Where in the h!! is my campus assingnment letter". Turnes out that they just mailed them out yesterday, so hold on - it's coming soon.

Later I will post the number of trips I made to my mailbox over these coming days until I get that letter. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it! It's Lubbock for me :D

New to this thread:

I'm coming to Texas tech.!!!!

I wanted to ask what's the concesus on where to stay in Lubbock. I want to stay as close to school as possible, and of course as cheap as possible.

Also, which laptop i should get and what are the minimum requirements.

I actuuallly need to get to Lubbock very quickly so I need advice ASAP.

Thank you so much

if there's anything else you think i should know about moving to lubbock and aboout school please let me know.

whtdasheezy said:

thas all 4 now (*^_^*)
As a 3rd yr, I will 2nd this advise. Know what they teach you in class (great if it does actually cover an objective). First yr, I was rarely tested on concepts not covered in class.

can someone please provide this info.

newdude said:
New to this thread:

I'm coming to Texas tech.!!!!

I wanted to ask what's the concesus on where to stay in Lubbock. I want to stay as close to school as possible, and of course as cheap as possible.

Also, which laptop i should get and what are the minimum requirements.

I actuuallly need to get to Lubbock very quickly so I need advice ASAP.

Thank you so much

if there's anything else you think i should know about moving to lubbock and aboout school please let me know.

Yay for El Paso! When do we (as a class) get to visit El Paso for the first time? And if that's not near the beginning, do any other El Paso people want to make a trip out there and explore near the start of school??

smiles33 said:
Yay for El Paso! When do we (as a class) get to visit El Paso for the first time? And if that's not near the beginning, do any other El Paso people want to make a trip out there and explore near the start of school??

Hey smiles, I'm in for a road trip!

i'm about to sign a year least at THE INTERN apartments for a efficicy for a year at 300bucks a month.
my main reason for chossing this place si b/c it's close and cheap.

if anyone thinks this is a bad idea please let me know asap. i don't have much time.

thanks

Regarding the Intern Apts, it is cheap, it is close, it is adequate, esp. as you're pressed for time. I spent a weekend with one of the current MSIs there, it's ok. That being said, I chose to live elsewhere. I wanted someplace a bit further away from campus, with more amenities. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
smiles33 said:
I'm El Paso bound as well, but tied to my job until July 17th. Smiles, if you and Hapha want to try to arrange a road trip between July 17 and August one, count me in.

nihilobstat said:
I'm El Paso bound as well, but tied to my job until July 17th. Smiles, if you and Hapha want to try to arrange a road trip between July 17 and August one, count me in.

I won't be finished with my job until the end of July, so maybe sometime after school starts. I'll be moving sometime during the first two weeks of August.

are most of you guys plan on living by yourselves

haphazallama said:
I won't be finished with my job until the end of July, so maybe sometime after school starts. I'll be moving sometime during the first two weeks of August.

Hi!!! If the road trip to El Paso is after school starts, count me (if there's room???) Hope you guys are having a GREAT summer!!! See you in a couple months! :)

I'll be in the El Paso area until June 25. If anyone decides to show up, let me know.

viv2006 said:
Hi!!! If the road trip to El Paso is after school starts, count me (if there's room???) Hope you guys are having a GREAT summer!!! See you in a couple months! :)
Works for me! I guess let's wait to see what the class schedule is like before we pick a specific date, then make the run to El Paso at that point. TexPre-Med, thanks for the heads-up, but I really can't get there in June. Are you bound for El Paso as well? We could pull you along on the road trip...

nihilobstat said:
Regarding the Intern Apts, it is cheap, it is close, it is adequate, esp. as you're pressed for time. I spent a weekend with one of the current MSIs there, it's ok. That being said, I chose to live elsewhere. I wanted someplace a bit further away from campus, with more amenities. Good luck!

can you elaborate on what amenities the intern apts lack.

can anyone tell me which cellphone provider will be best for the lubbock area.

thank you so much

newdude said:
can you elaborate on what amenities the intern apts lack.

can anyone tell me which cellphone provider will be best for the lubbock area.

thank you so much
I wanted more quiet, better maintenance, and a swimming pool. Intern is a bit run down, though not badly so. It is at the intersection of two fairly major streets, 4th and Indiana, so traffic noise can be an issue. Also, with any high traffic area, crime increases, although the student I stayed with wasn't concerened about it. Let's see, I did want central air as well, Intern has a wall AC unit by the door as you come in. However, I did pay for those. If I were more pressed financially, I would have considered Intern.

Obiwan, in response to your question, I'm told that a fair number of Tech students do choose to live by themselves, due to the low cost of housing. I can't speak for others, but I will be.

Lily22 said:
Lubbock: Hardest to get because mostly marrieds/those with SO's/connections get to stay, but there are exceptions. Learn a lot, stay busy. Serves almost all of west TX + some, so you get to see a lot.

I'm hoping to apply to TT this year, but I'm trying to clear one thing up for sure:
Does this mean that no-kidding ALL the marrieds get to stay in Lubbock? I really don't want to have to tell my husband late in the second year: "Surprise, honey! You get to job-hunt all over again!"

Thanks
-Pemberley

PS I thought I'd asked this before, but just read through the thread and couldn't find it, so maybe that was on A&M's thread. Please forgive me if I'm just not seeing the obvious.

Pemberley said:
I'm hoping to apply to TT this year, but I'm trying to clear one thing up for sure:
Does this mean that no-kidding ALL the marrieds get to stay in Lubbock? I really don't want to have to tell my husband late in the second year: "Surprise, honey! You get to job-hunt all over again!"

Thanks
-Pemberley

PS I thought I'd asked this before, but just read through the thread and couldn't find it, so maybe that was on A&M's thread. Please forgive me if I'm just not seeing the obvious.

You better off addressing this question to the school itself, but as far as I know all marrieds do stay in Lubbock. There are plenty of single students they can send to Amarillo or El Paso. But they don't guarantee anything...

can anyone tell me which cellphone provider will be best for the lubbock area. so my calls wont get dropped as much.

Yes, I'm headed for El Paso as well. I guess I'm one of the few that picked it first. If I had to guess, any married people would be given first choice. I can't think of a better reason, and I'm not married. For those yet to apply - you get your campus assignments 3 months before school starts and can even appeal the decision prior to year 3.

I wish they had released a list of who is going to which city. I'd like to know who my travelmates are without asking all 140 of us.

Oh and I have Verizon and it seems to work fine every time I go to Lubbock.

newdude said:
can anyone tell me which cellphone provider will be best for the lubbock area. so my calls wont get dropped as much.

I use Alltel, my husband has Cingular, and my cousin uses Sprint. None of us have any problems.

so will t-mobile be fine as well.

also, the student affairs website says that you it's "recommeded" to get a dell computer. any thoughts on this. is this the best option in terms of price.

thanks

newdude said:
so will t-mobile be fine as well.

also, the student affairs website says that you it's "recommeded" to get a dell computer. any thoughts on this. is this the best option in terms of price.

thanks

They recommend it because entire Tech system is run on Dell computers. People have other computers and as far as I know nobody has any problems with their computers. But if you don't have laptop just buy Dell. They have all kind of prices that may work for you.

obiwan said:
are most of you guys plan on living by yourselves

I am.. for the first year at least. I'll be at Springfield Apts, and it looks like several of us will be there. :)

BTW, I'm heading to my #1 choice of El Paso as well!! :D

Is anyone deciding on living at the Las Colinas Apartments? That is where I will be!

As for computers, all dell's run on Windows. Therefore I see no reason why any Window's based computer wouldn't work. Not sure about Apple though.

As far as I know, the primary reason for having a laptop in class is to use WebCT. WebCT is compatible with any computer using a Mac OS, Windows OS, or Linux OS. You can partition any Mac with an Intel processor and install Windows. The IT department wants everyone to get a Dell because it makes their life easier, but they will help you if you have something else. I hope that helps.

NYtoLBK said:
As far as I know, the primary reason for having a laptop in class is to use WebCT. WebCT is compatible with any computer using a Mac OS, Windows OS, or Linux OS. You can partition any Mac with an Intel processor and install Windows. The IT department wants everyone to get a Dell because it makes their life easier, but they will help you if you have something else. I hope that helps.
Where in NY are you from?

Hi! I got an email about not turning in a Criminal Background Check (CBC)...Is that the same thing as the form we turned in with the $50 check back in February??? Or something different? Also, the Dallas SDNers need to get together again soon! Hope everyone is having a WONDERFUL summer!!!

viv2006 said:
Hi! I got an email about not turning in a Criminal Background Check (CBC)...Is that the same thing as the form we turned in with the $50 check back in February??? Or something different? Also, the Dallas SDNers need to get together again soon! Hope everyone is having a WONDERFUL summer!!!

I think this is the form they want us to submit. I sent them different form in Fabruary. http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentaffairs/docs/holdharmless.pdf

can any MS1 or MS2 recommend where to get insurance. As i understand the school doesn't provide it and it is our responsibility.

thank you

newdude said:
can any MS1 or MS2 recommend where to get insurance. As i understand the school doesn't provide it and it is our responsibility.

thank you
The HSC Family Medicine Clinic is free to students as are some other things like X-rays should you slam a finger in one of the Cadaver Tanks. Other than that, you are required to cary some sort of insurance. I have Unicare major medical (read that as "super high deductibles') for my family. The office of student affairs should have some info on this as well.

Hey! I'm trying to get a few thing through my lab job (cause free is better than buying it later). Someone had mentioned during training weekend to get a dissection kit, but I'm having trouble finding out what is actually typical in a kit. They seem to vary from kit to kit. Can one of the first or second years say what you need for anatomy lab in the dissection kit? Also, does anyone have suggestions of other supplies that we will need that I can buy ahead of time (or have work buy for me :) )?
Thanks!

Thackl,
Did you have to make the 3rd walk of shame on Sat?

rwhit said:
T,
Did you have to make the 3rd walk of shame on Sat?
Huh?

I guess this is the place for TTU HSC class of 2010. My wife, kids, and I have just made the move from San Angelo and so far we are really enjoying Lubbock. At 29, I guess I am a little older than some, but not quite ready for the walker and Medicare, but almost. Anyone else coming to school with kids?

rwhit said:
I guess this is the place for TTU HSC class of 2010. My wife, kids, and I have just made the move from San Angelo and so far we are really enjoying Lubbock. At 29, I guess I am a little older than some, but not quite ready for the walker and Medicare, but almost. Anyone else coming to school with kids?
I met rwhit at Joyland while in line for that 70ft tall, nearly verticle slip-n-slide thing. My boy made his 4th trip up and down (the stairs :love: ). He's been getting a lot more brave in the last yr, but nor quite ready for this one. I went down, nearly flipped, then sank at the bottom and got SOAKED!

BTW, I'm 32 and by far, not the oldest in the class.

rwhit said:

I don't think I'll have any kids yet. RRgirl, how'd the EPT turn out? haha - sorry. I like to mess with Tanya.

TexPre-Med said:
I don't think I'll have any kids yet. RRgirl, how'd the EPT turn out? haha - sorry. I like to mess with Tanya.
My EPT is 6 years old, dude. :laugh:

so i'm trying to get internet for my apt.

i don't even know what's offered in lubbock and where i go to or call to get the service.

can you guys tell me what company to get and how to contact them.

for the most part i'm gonna use my laptop for school work, music and maybe some videos viewing. not planning to do heavy downloading.

any idea on what plan to get.
cheap would obviosuly be nice, but fast is more important.

the cox pamphlet i saw was kind of expensive, $50 bucks for a month. that's crazy. any other options and more important who do i call to get it setup asap.

thanks

p.s. i'm just about to order (still havent ordered yet) t-mobile, if anyone thinks this they are not good in lubbock please let me know, so i can get someone else.

I've heard that Cox owns Lubbock and that you are pretty much stuck with them. I could be wrong though as I have no experience with it myself yet.

Can any older med students make an estimate on how much money we will be spending on orientation week?

newdude said:
so i'm trying to get internet for my apt.

i don't even know what's offered in lubbock and where i go to or call to get the service.

can you guys tell me what company to get and how to contact them.

for the most part i'm gonna use my laptop for school work, music and maybe some videos viewing. not planning to do heavy downloading.

any idea on what plan to get.
cheap would obviosuly be nice, but fast is more important.

the cox pamphlet i saw was kind of expensive, $50 bucks for a month. that's crazy. any other options and more important who do i call to get it setup asap.

thanks

p.s. i'm just about to order (still havent ordered yet) t-mobile, if anyone thinks this they are not good in lubbock please let me know, so i can get someone else.

Ask your leasing office about your internet options. I have Cox and if you bundle it with TV and phone it will be a little cheaper.

RRGirl said:
Ask your leasing office about your internet options. I have Cox and if you bundle it with TV and phone it will be a little cheaper.

well i'm not gonna get cable (whos gonna have the time) or home phone (gonna use cell), so i don't have that option.

so there is no option in lubbock for fast internet?

also, the i' still concerned about the cell phone thing, will t-mobile work well.