Texas Tech class 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where you want to spend your 3rd and 4th years?

• Lubbock

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Amarillo

Votes: 11 21.6%
  • El Paso

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
I think the original e-mail about setting up your e-mail account was send June 8th if that helps anyone find it.
Jen:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi All,

I can't wait to meet everyone. Does anyone know what time the White Coat Ceremony will take place?

Thanks!

The White Coat Ceremony's on Fri. Aug 18th at 5pm. in the Lubbock Civic Center. An RSVP reminder, as well as directions, has been put up on the Student Affairs website.
http://www.ttuhsc.edu/som/studentAffairs/

Can't wait! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS TO ALL YOU NEW FIRST YEARS!!

I'm a second year at Tech. My roommate and I are looking for two people to take over a brand new lease beginning August ....
we will give $200 to EACH person who takes the deal.....

it's a BRAND NEW FULLY FURNISHED apartment (never been lived in!!) at The University Courtyard. 793 sq feet....

Literally ONE MILE away from school (YOU WILL NEVER BE LATE TO CLASS!) but in a quiet area so you get some peace to study...two bedrooms, each with their own bathroom...washer and dryer INSIDE the apartment....cable, internet and trash included....water and utilities are extra...a HUGE balcony....and a 30 INCH FLAT PANEL LCD TV!!!!!......

the apartment complex itself has great stuff: 24 hour access to gym, pool/rec room, computer lab with free printing (for all those class notes you will need...believe me, it's a LOT).....a LAKE! with a running trail....pools, basketball courts....and a movie room with a big screen for those times you need to relax..covered parking is optional.... the apartment is really a beautiful place to live...

Rent is $499 per person per month...this really is a great deal, and we're throwing in $200 extra per person, just for signing....the lease will be completely converted into your names...no deposit...
PM me if you're interested....

this could be the solution to your finding a roommate, a great apartment AND FURNITURE all at the same time!!

damn...
the place looked pretty from the outside too.

i wish i hadnt renewed my lease.

gd luck crazygoose...are u really crazy?

TX_Longhorn said:
damn...
the place looked pretty from the outside too.

i wish i hadnt renewed my lease.

gd luck crazygoose...are u really crazy?

aw nuts!

and yes, the craziest :)

crazygoose said:
CONGRATS TO ALL YOU NEW FIRST YEARS!!

I'm a second year at Tech. My roommate and I are looking for two people to take over a brand new lease beginning August ....
we will give $200 to EACH person who takes the deal.....

But then, where would you live, crazy?

Leighsah said:
But then, where would you live, crazy?

my roomie and i have a place to live...that's why we dont need this one....it really is a beautiful place though ! we're sad to miss out on the chance to live there

So I was thinking…Since there are a few people with familial obligations, I was wondering if it’d work for us to meet over a game of bowling/pool/darts, say around 7/8pm? The few of us who went to the Brunswick lanes on 69th St. had a pretty good time. Kids would definitely be welcome, and then afterwards, if anyone wants to head out to the Daiquiri Lounge’s Beer Garden or something similar, we could split ways. I think Fri. or Sat. night’ll be best, since I’m not sure what’ll be open later this holiday weekend. Any takers?
Lisa

Amazoe said:
So I was thinking…Since there are a few people with familial obligations, I was wondering if it’d work for us to meet over a game of bowling/pool/darts, say around 7/8pm? The few of us who went to the Brunswick lanes on 69th St. had a pretty good time. Kids would definitely be welcome, and then afterwards, if anyone wants to head out to the Daiquiri Lounge’s Beer Garden or something similar, we could split ways. I think Fri. or Sat. night’ll be best, since I’m not sure what’ll be open later this holiday weekend. Any takers?
Lisa

I would be in for Friday night, but have a family thing on Saturday evening. Just let me know!!

Since I haven't heard any other timing issues, this Friday it is. So let's go ahead and meet up at the bowling alley around 7pm, and we can play it by ear after that. Here's the address: 5150 69th Street, Lubbock, TX 79424 Tel: (806) 794-4844 If there are non-med school pals you want to invite, go for it! Oh, and I'll be wearing a green hooded jacket. See y'all soon.

Here's some of my old books. I'll offer them here first.
All prices based on Half.com and Amazon ISBN searches. I’ll also preface this by saying that I am not a reader and probably shouldn’t have bought most of these books in the first place. PM me back if interested.

Bates' Guide To Physical Examination And History Taking
ISBN: 078175819X
It’s by our very own Dr. Bickley’s book and required. You’ll need it for MSI & II. $40

Wheater's Functional Histology: A Text and Colour Atlas
ISBN: 0443056129
This is required for the Histology portion of MSI throughout the yr. I really liked this book (one of the few I actually used) and considered keeping it as a reference. Excellent condition with CD-ROM. $15

Biochemistry and Genetics: Pre Test Self-Assessment and Review
ISBN: 0071437479
If you are not familiar with the PreTest books, they are 500 questions books (with tutorials for each question) broken down into chapters just like the class would be. Some are better than others and this particular one is excellent. If you are the type of student who gets more out of practice Q’s than reading, then these are the way to go. I used it exclusively for the Biochem NBME (final) and the Biochem/genetics portion of the USMLE. Other than some easily erasable pencil marks in several chapters, it’s in like new condition. $15

Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple
ISBN: 0940780496
This one is a must for the course, NBME (final) and the USMLE. This is one of the MOST recommended books in all of med school. I did not use it as much as I should have, but some of the ridiculous cartoons from this book are still in my head. There is some highlighting throughout, otherwise the condition is excellent. $15

NMS Physiology (National Medical Series for Independent Study)
ISBN: 0683306030
This one is my personal favorite for a number of reasons. Even it you don’t buy it from me, make sure to buy it!!! Don’t be pressured into purchasing the SIX “required” mini-books for Phys at a cost of over $200. Only two of them are decent texts and those two aren’t even as good as NMS. Any and every diagram that shows up in class (even those 1950’s and 60’s ones that Dr Jansen likes and ones NOT in the req’d texts) will be in here with be in here with excellent explainations. This one will also save you from having to get an EKG book. It’s perfect for the class and NBME (final) and is the ONLY book you will need. However, for the USMLE prep following MSII, I would recommend the BRS Phys since it is not as detailed and reads quite a bit faster (BRS alone is not enough for the class though). This text also has over 600 USMLE style practice Q’s. My book is in good shape, but does have highlighting and pencil marks throughout. The binding has some wear as well (it got a ton of use :D ). $10

Essentials of Human Embryology
ISBN: 044307514X
This the the Required text for Embyology. I carried it around a bit early on, but never used it. I found BRS to be good for following along with the course and High Yield is best for the final. For those who like to have the required books handy (which is most med students), then here’s your chance. I personally wouldn’t buy this book again (I know, not much of a sales pitch). Excellent shape. $20

High-Yield Embryology
ISBN: 0781721326
I recommend getting this one. While it does not follow the med course as well as BRS, if you were to insist on having only one book, this would be it. Perfect for the NBME (final) and reads very quickly. Other than a few pencil marks, it is like new. $10

BRS Embryology
ISBN: 0683302728
Good for following the class, not much other then that though. Currently out on loan, but I assume it’s in excellent condition. $10

Moore’s Clinically Oriented Anatomy
ISBN: 0781759366
This is the monster of a book you all have probably heard about already. I recommend you have this book as a reference (and it’s a good one) for the course, lab and “students-teaching-students” exercises. But despite what they try to scare you into believing, do NOT read this book as your primary text. It is large, cumbersome and way too detailed. You will stress out and go crazy trying to get through this one. Use BRS and U-Mich online practice Q’s for the course and NBME final. My book has cover and corner wear from being dragged around in the backpack. Otherwise the condition is great. Do have this one for the 12 week intensive course, then ditch it. $35

If I find any more, I’ll list them as well.

I dug this out from the 2009 class thread. It's was my recommendations to them at the time and still pretty good advice IMO. With that said, the MSII's and your big sib will be able to give you better advice since they just went through it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
First semester:
-Anatomy: They will beat you down with Moore "blue boxes". Let me tell you, Moore is huge and overly detail for MS1 anatomy. IMO, don't even read the blue boxes. My grades went up when I stopped and anatomy no longer seemed time consuming. Get the high yield info from BRS (the only book I used). The prof’s let you know what clinicals you should know and the additional high yield info will be in BRS. I would suggest getting Moore and using it as a reference. These are also very helpful: http://www.med.umich.edu/lrc/course...quiz_index.html and a good muscle chart can be helpful. The CD you get from the 2nd yrs is nice, but be careful as much if it was done by some real anal gunners and is "too much info". Know the scribes and know the lab lists and you will get an A with relatively little effort. Do req'd reading and try to learn it all and you will go insane and likely NOT get an A. Use High Yield or BRS along with FirstAid for the final.

-As for lab practicals.... I get as much out of netter (a must have) as looking at cadavers. A lot of students got Netter flash cards, but didn't use them for long. Rohen's color atlas was also a student favorite as it has color pics of pro-sected cadavers. I bought it, but didn't use it. Try some different things and see what sticks. Don't get the dissector manual. It's a waste. They will tell you what to do in the prelab. For studying, I would spend 10-30 minutes the night before lab finding the things we needed to see the next day in Netter and simply writing the pg #'s next to the term (for future quick ref). This was very helpful for just seeing it for the 1st time and being able to find it quickly in lab the next day. Also bring your Muscle Chart to lab (I'll send a link to the one I liked as soon I find it again). Use the lab time to learn…. Don’t waste it chattering. Spend a few minutes with the material that night reviewing and you will have it. That’s it! Look at the cross-sections but don't have a panic attack (like I did first block) about them. Most of the Q's from x-sections are easy and obvious. Don't freak about lab practicals, just know your lists, basic landmarks and basic actions (not too much detail though). Just be steady/consistent. If you don't wait til the last minute, It really isn't that bad and you won't have to study much come test time. Dr. Dalley and Dr. Chilton give GREAT reviews. Go to one (or two), but don’t be rude and hog him. I would recommend you try to schedule reviews at odd times (real early or late, or when the lab is likely to be empty). Med students are vultures and your review will become everyone’s if it’s crowded. Keep it to 8 or less if you can. Here's a big one!... don't pay attention to what others are doing and try to find times to study when the lab isn't really crowded. Others (intentional or not) will make you feel like you know nothing and try to freak you out. Go at your own pace and learn what's high yield. These people got to me at first and for nothing (my lowest lab score was a 92). FWIW, stay away from everyone except for your study group (if you have one) around test time. Don't listen to what people are freaking out about and trying to learn right before you walk into the exam. Learn what's high yield and what YOU think is important. That's it!

-For the embryo portion: get BRS (NOT the req'd text) to clarify things, but only learn what Dr. Beale teaches. If you know what he goes over, you will get every question on the test. He is a bit confusing in lecture, but somehow, it makes sense later on when you read the scribes. DON'T ignore embryo and DON'T put it off (you won't get to it during test week), but DON'T spend too much time with it. High yield and the req'd texts are horrible for the course. Don't even buy as a ref. The final is ridiculous. Look at FirstAid, but don't waste much time (like I did). It's 25 Q's at the end of the anatomy final and really sucks. In retrospect, High Yield is the best source for this,

-Biochem: Req'd text sucks..... don't buy it. Your class notes really are enough. Google what you can't figure out. Some of the others got a different book and really liked it (Lippincotts). I say 'get nothing'. PreTest for the final (seems hard and over the top, but so is the final). This is the ONLY course I recommend PreTest for. It was waaaaaay off on the other finals. Also, remember that grading (for everything) is relative and if it seems REALLY hard, it probably is for everyone. I felt like I got my ass handed to me on the biochem final and ended up with a 96 (same for the physiology final). Listen to Dr. Pelley. He gives lots of great advice for med school, learning and life. Try what he recommends and see if it works. For me, some did and some was too time consuming. It all worked though.

-Histo/cell bio: Wheater's atlas is very good. A lot of students also got the Leeson & Leeson atlas that all of the WebCT slides come from. Just buy one and go with it. The req'd text sucks and I never used it. For tests, just know your note packets. That's it! For Dr. Hudson, get the relevant clinical stuff (from the book) off of your CD (the one you get from us) in condensed form. For lab tests, know the WebCT slides and we will tell you as you go which prof's like to focus on tougher microscope slides.

Second Semester:

-Phys: NMS Phys is the ONLY book you need. That's it! I've seen the others and there is NO comparison. If you buy the req'd text(s), I will rip them out of your hands and slap you over the head with them. NMS uses pics/details from many diff resources (including the few good things in the req'd texts). The few things that showed up in class lectures from the req'd texts that weren't in NMS ended up being useless anyway. If you really need to see it, borrow a friend's book or go to the library. Some people also used a book by Costanzo (I bought it too) and while it's much better than the req'd texts, NMS is still superior by long shot. My buddy I study with used the Costanzo (felt it was a shorter and easier read) and ended up more than 10pts below me in the end (and he's a very capable student). For the final....... drum role please....... NMS!

-MicroBio: get charts/tables and all the old practice test Q's from the "scribe CD". This one is tough and requires tons of rote memorization. There is a rediculous amount of old test Q's on the scribe CD. Do them as you primary studying and do them again another 1 or 2 times right b/f the test. Make sure to know the correct answer as well as the wrong ones (what they would go with or what would make them right). The Narin book for Immuno is good, but not a must have by any means. I liked it though. For the final, contact me for a copy of 350 old Q-bank Q's that were sent out to my class (I still have them). They are all you need for the final and you will only have 1 day to study it so don't waste your time with BRS/NMS/PreTest/etc. These are all the review you need. It's a hard final, but these will prepare you.

That's it for now. I feel med students are left to guess and struggle too much (esp. in the beginning). It doesn't have to be that bad. I have a family, kids, worked out 4x/wk, played b-ball, had free time and went out...... all that, plus low stress (after the 1st block) and very high class standing. Anyone can do it. Just be consistent (don't procrastinate) and go high yield (BTW, when I say ‘High Yield’ in CAP’s, I’m referring to the book….. in lower case, I’m referring to the concept). A few hrs of studying every day and bust ass during blocks. Take your time, see, understand the first time through, then memorize for tests. Don’t be too frustrated by how quickly you seem to forget the stuff. Happens to everyone and probably won’t stick well until we’re actually using it 3rd yr. As long as you really understand it the first time through, re-learning goes very fast. Good luck and feel free to ask Q's.

Members don't see this ad :)
thackl said:
I dug this out from the 2009 class thread. It's was my recommendations to them at the time and still pretty good advice IMO. With that said, the MSII's and your big sib will be able to give you better advice since they just went through it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
wow!!! i wish i had read this last year before i started my first year!!!!

everything you said is so true...it's always nice to hear that this is something we can all do :)

thanks!

Wow...Thanks for the info!!!

Newdude, did you find the phone you like yet?
On the other note we are thinking about going out next weekend. If any of you interested and have babysitters that are willing to work till 2am you are welcome to join us on Friday or Saturday. Plans will finalize by Thursday so pm or email me.

Congrats to all you incoming first years!!!

i've had lots of people personally ask me about phone service, so i'll just post that Cingular works really well in Lubbock and there are lots of service stores around town....for all you T-Mobile users (like ME), there is no store available, so getting help with the phone service can be a problem

See you all next month!

8 exams before christmas, can't wait :eek: :scared:

newdude said:
8 exams before christmas, can't wait :eek: :scared:

Not too bad if you think about it. In undergrad we always have 9 to 12 exams before semester end....

RRGirl said:
Not too bad if you think about it. In undergrad we always have 9 to 12 exams before semester end....

yeah i was thinking about that but that's for 4-5 classes and i think this is for 2 classes (anatomy & bchs).

At least we know what to do l8er that day.... sleeep

newdude said:
yeah i was thinking about that but that's for 4-5 classes and i think this is for 2 classes (anatomy & bchs).

.....which makes it even easier :p

6 hour tests, whoa! That is going to be a blast! Definite need of fun those nights!

TexPre-Med said:
6 hour tests, whoa! That is going to be a blast! Definite need of fun those nights!

wow i didn't see that, but i guess it's understandable why the practical take so much time. so that day is pretty much a test day.

TexPre-Med said:
It's not that bad for you guys. The written exam in the morning shouldn't take any more than 1.5-2hrs unless it's a really bad one. The afternoon practical will have the class divided into halves. One half will take the test (about 1hr 15min), then the other half.

We were on the block system and had 5 tests every 5-6wks, 8 in a row over 2 wks at the end of the semester (including 3 NBME subject exams) and 18 total b/f Christmas!!! We also had more than double your sheduled lecture hrs and literally more material we were responsible for (much of it low yield or repetitive and now cut uot). So be greatful that Tech is now getting into the 21st century WRT med school :)

Hello! I was glad to see this forum! Any Houstonians getting ready to make the trip to Lubbock? Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Can anyone explain what the Year 1 and 2 Exam Proctor Workshop is? Thanks!

viv2006 said:
Can anyone explain what the Year 1 and 2 Exam Proctor Workshop is? Thanks!

It's probably for those who will proctor our exams

RRGirl said:
It's probably for those who will proctor our exams
Thats what I figured. Was just making sure :)

I've gotten it straight from the horse's mouth that we're going to have quizzes in anatomy each 'quarter'(block?) before the tests. I don't believe this was the setup last year. I'm sure we'll be informed of this when classes begin, but I just thought I'd share.

Dionysus said:
An exam on Columbus Day, C'mon, the guy discovered the new world. (I just heard that quote on the radio, haven't seen the movie though)

Also, what are ECE OSCE and NBME Board Exam about?

ECE OSCE = early clinical experience objective structured clinical exam
(ECE is an easy class to "honors" - it is clinic-based learning). ECE is the class, OSCE are the exams. the OSCEs are simulated-patient scenarios.

NBME = national board of medical examiners - we had NBMEs for anatomy/embryo and micro/immuno last year. these are 3 hour written exams that are scored against national performances to get an idea of where we stand in the country; the NBME curves the grades and then the SOM further curves them, so grades turn out quite nicely.

:)

Thanks Amy for that info.

I just got a bill the other day for the first year and something perplexed me. It says the bill is due 8/9/06 and that financial aid will be applied 8/11/06, then reimbursement checks will be mailed after fin aid is applied.
Does that mean we have to come up with 10 grand on the 9th just to have it reimbursed on the 11th? Or do we all just go ask for a 2 day extension on payment?
I feel I'm missing something?

Dionysus said:
Thanks Amy for that info.

I just got a bill the other day for the first year and something perplexed me. It says the bill is due 8/9/06 and that financial aid will be applied 8/11/06, then reimbursement checks will be mailed after fin aid is applied.
Does that mean we have to come up with 10 grand on the 9th just to have it reimbursed on the 11th? Or do we all just go ask for a 2 day extension on payment?
I feel I'm missing something?

if you're receiving fin aid (which you are), then you don't have to do anything. tuition will be paid and you'll be cut the reimbursement check in mid-august. the bill due date is for people who are paying out of pocket (wish that was me!)

I spoke with someone in the bursar's office yesterday. She said they do not apply the late payment until fin aid comes in for the fall bill so no problem there. However, she said that if you don't pay the spring bill by the date then there is a $25 billing fee in the spring. You can opt for them to take your spring bill out of your fall fin aid, but then you have to live on very little. Sounds like a free $25 for them.

amy2003uva said:
if you're receiving fin aid (which you are), then you don't have to do anything. tuition will be paid and you'll be cut the reimbursement check in mid-august. the bill due date is for people who are paying out of pocket (wish that was me!)

smiles33 said:
I spoke with someone in the bursar's office yesterday. She said they do not apply the late payment until fin aid comes in for the fall bill so no problem there. However, she said that if you don't pay the spring bill by the date then there is a $25 billing fee in the spring. You can opt for them to take your spring bill out of your fall fin aid, but then you have to live on very little. Sounds like a free $25 for them.

I didn't know about the spring $25 billing fee. Sounds odd to me! Thanks for the info. Anyway, when the reimbursement check is something between 9-10K, $25 won't make or break your budget... so don't stress. :)

How do we access the safety training exam??

i have t.h.e as my lender and they're doing 2 disburse for the loans so if i paid the full tuition this fall, i'm not left with much for the fall. just wondering if any of you guys with different lenders have a different disbursement shedules?

arkroyal said:
i have t.h.e as my lender and they're doing 2 disburse for the loans so if i paid the full tuition this fall, i'm not left with much for the fall. just wondering if any of you guys with different lenders have a different disbursement shedules?

As far as I know all lenders are requred to do 2 disbursements by law. Are you planning to pay full tuition as in fall and spring?

arkroyal said:
THE is the BEST lender out there! You'll be fine. I've used them the whole way and no ploblems and NO FEES.

thackl said:
THE is the BEST lender out there! You'll be fine. I've used them the whole way and no ploblems and NO FEES.

THE is great. Most people I know (myself and my husband included) use them. :thumbup:

Two disbursements is normal and should be plenty of money for you to live on, assuming that you got a loan for the full amount (around 30K before tuition expenses). The loans aren't meant to provide for a luxurious lifestyle, but should be plenty for one person to cover living and academic expenses. Your first year loan even includes extra to buy a new computer.

Just wondering if anybody with strong arms is available Friday morning in Dallas or Saturday afternoon in Lubbock (this week) to help me load stuff into and out of a truck. I have two other guys to help, but somehow both are in physical therapy for one of their arms...FYI no stairs are involved and on this end most of the stuff is coming out of a storage shed so it should be fairly quick and easy. I'll even provide cold beverages of your choice! Please aol IM me at JenniferLonghorn if you can help. THANKS!!!

I just got into Lubbock! As everyone else roles in we should all get together sporadically for group lunches or coffee or something. I'm currently driving around randomly finding my way to places and getting situated.
Smiles, I can lend a hand if you need it on Saturday, just let me know when and where.

Dionysus said:
I just got into Lubbock! As everyone else roles in we should all get together sporadically for group lunches or coffee or something. I'm currently driving around randomly finding my way to places and getting situated.
Smiles, I can lend a hand if you need it on Saturday, just let me know when and where.

wish i could help move you guys too, but i'll be out of town. lubbock is really easy to navigate - the loop goes allllllll the way around the city and you can get from the mall (sw lubbock) to the hsc (north lbk) in 10 min!

have you guys started buying textbooks yet?

obiwan said:
have you guys started buying textbooks yet?
Borrow...borrow...borrow. Well, that's what I'm doing so far. Most of the advice I've seen in this thread or heard from others implies borrow or at least wait to buy.

haphazallama said:
Borrow...borrow...borrow. Well, that's what I'm doing so far. Most of the advice I've seen in this thread or heard from others implies borrow or at least wait to buy.
Talk to your big sib or back up through this thread to my book advice.