Texas A&M Accepted for Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I posted this the other day, but it never showed up...but just wondering if anyone else has procrastinated on getting all the shots.

*raises hand*

Members don't see this ad.

transcripts are due june 15th right? (lost that little sheet they gave us with deadlines) they emailed me asking for a Degree Conferred transcript but my university hasnt done a final audit yet. anyone else having to wait a bit before their school gets everything together?

Members don't see this ad :)
for those of you who are just dying to buy doctor tools...there is a welch allyn diagnostic kit listed on craigslist (Austin) for $240. It doesn't have the lithium ion handle or the panoptic ophthalmascope, but if you're in the area, it's not a bad deal.

Beyond that, I had to get the Tdap and mumps (my titer for mumps was negative, too!). I don't know of any place to get them for free, in Temple or otherwise.

I signed up with the S&W health plan and received mine for free, just scheduled a visit with my friendly family physician.

Does anyone know when the second packet is going to be mailed out? I'm moving down to Temple at the end of next week and was wondering if I should just turn in my change of address form now, or wait...

this article from the new yorker looks at the skyrocketing cost of health care from a ground floor perspective. it offers new information about the problem instead of the same old bickering about who should pay. in essence examining the cause of the problem than merely the symptoms of it. its kind of long but is a good read.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande?currentPage=all

Does anyone know when the second packet is going to be mailed out? I'm moving down to Temple at the end of next week and was wondering if I should just turn in my change of address form now, or wait...

I saw somewhere about a week ago that a second packet should be mailed out within the next couple weeks.

this article from the new yorker looks at the skyrocketing cost of health care from a ground floor perspective. it offers new information about the problem instead of the same old bickering about who should pay. in essence examining the cause of the problem than merely the symptoms of it. its kind of long but is a good read.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande?currentPage=all
I'm only about a 1/3 of the way through the article, but it's fascinating stuff, to be sure. Gawande is a great writer. (See: Better and Complications)

So now that I'm officially half way done with medical school, should I add the 'M' or the 'D' to the end of my username?

So now that I'm officially half way done with medical school, should I add the 'M' or the 'D' to the end of my username?

Go with the "M"!

How was Step 1? Was it the beast it is made out to be?

"M" for Mullie. Have fun moving to Temple. Let me know if you need help with that.

Members don't see this ad :)

add them both, just use lower case. md. ;)

Hey all,

I just got accepted off the wait list a couple weeks ago (I found out on my birthday!) and I just wanted to thank everyone for their posts! I've been scrambling to get everything ready for school because I'm going out of the country until mid July...and I'm driving in from out of state and haven't had time to fly out and check out apartments and stuff, so all the input about places people have lived has been really helpful. I wish I had checked SD sooner, so I could have avoided all the dead end apt searches.

Anyhow, can't wait to meet everyone! I'll be at CS. Cheers! :)

Hey all,

I just got accepted off the wait list a couple weeks ago (I found out on my birthday!) and I just wanted to thank everyone for their posts! I've been scrambling to get everything ready for school because I'm going out of the country until mid July...and I'm driving in from out of state and haven't had time to fly out and check out apartments and stuff, so all the input about places people have lived has been really helpful. I wish I had checked SD sooner, so I could have avoided all the dead end apt searches.

Anyhow, can't wait to meet everyone! I'll be at CS. Cheers! :)

Congratulations!

Hey all! (Or should I say Howdy?),

So I got off the waitlist a couple days ago. While I am stoked about this opportunity :D, I was set on heading to Creighton. I did the one of the hosting programs at Creighton and stayed for 3 nights, and I fell madly in love with the school :love:, mostly due to my interaction with the students. What was really impressive me about Creighton was its match list (consistent placement into great programs over many years = awesome network), how happy students were after graduation based on a survey (98-100% very satisfied), and how supportive and nurturing the environment was (it is a Jesuit school after all). However, I was only at A&M for the 5 hours during the interview, and I did not get to see much or talk to any current students. Also, unfortunately, I dozed off during the information session. :sleep:(Due to a canceled flight, I got into CS by car and only had 1.5 hours of sleep before the interview, and while I waited at the airports, I submitted 2 papers and had to submit a 15-pager after the interview...I know). Thus, I don't have much information about the school, and I don't know what the environment and students are like.

So basically, I would really appreciate it if some of you who are M-1's+ in this forum would share with me your experience with the school, with the students, and with your exposure to medicine thus far, maybe share some of your likes/dislikes. Also, having some benefits (I'm in-state, so I know cost is one) and disadvantages, if any, stated for going to A&M (in general or vs. Creighton SOM) would be great! Additionally, I have been given a choice between the 2+2 CS/Temple track or the 4 year Temple track, so any input/advice/insight on that and on housing would be nice. Thank you, guys, in advance, for taking time to read this and for you consideration and help. I hope everyone is having a great (either stress-free or eventful) summer! :)

Last edited:

So I got off the waitlist a couple days ago. While I am stoked about this opportunity :D, I was set on heading to Creighton. I did the one of the hosting programs at Creighton and stayed for 3 nights, and I fell madly in love with the school :love:, mostly due to my interaction with the students. What was really impressive me about Creighton was its match list (consistent placement into great programs over many years = awesome network), how happy students were after graduation based on a survey (98-100% very satisfied), and how supportive and nurturing the environment was (it is a Jesuit school after all). However, I was only at A&M for the 5 hours during the interview, and I did not get to see much or talk to any current students. Also, unfortunately, I dozed off during the information session. :sleep:(Due to a canceled flight, I got into CS by car and only had 1.5 hours of sleep before the interview, and while I waited at the airports, I submitted 2 papers and had to submit a 15-pager after the interview...I know). Thus, I don't have much information about the school, and I don't know what the environment and students are like.

So basically, I would really appreciate it if some of you who are M-1's+ in this forum would share with me your experience with the school, with the students, and with your exposure to medicine thus far, maybe share some of your likes/dislikes. Also, having some benefits (I'm in-state, so I know cost is one) and disadvantages, if any, stated for going to A&M (in general or vs. Creighton SOM) would be great! Additionally, I have been given a choice between the 2+2 CS/Temple track or the 4 year Temple track, so any input/advice/insight on that and on housing would be nice. Thank you, guys, in advance, for taking time to read this and for you consideration and help. I hope everyone is having a great (either stress-free or eventful) summer! :)

A big pro for A&M is that you will pay in four years what some students at private schools will pay in one.

... I hope everyone is having a great (either stress-free or eventful) summer! :)

Hello there. Congratulations! You've got yourself a fortunate predicament in having to chose which med school is best.

Okay, so first things first. Seelee already mentioned it, but you really, really, really, really need to consider cost above all else. Please don't buy into the "oh, your happiness is worth 70-100k more in debt." No, it's not. Unless you are considering doing the military or are being put through by family/scholarships, this debt burden is heavy and will be with you a while. This year, tuition and fees at A&M are going to cost me a grand total of about $11,300. I don't know what costs are at Creighton, but I'm willing to bet they are much more steep. Cost of living between Temple/College Station and Omaha is negligible, if anything Omaha would be cheaper than College Station.
As far as my personal experience goes, I am convinced I made the best choice possible for my medical education. I have yet to meet a classmate or M3/M4 that I don't really care for. I'm not saying we all get along and are a happy family, but for the most part everyone hangs out and does stuff together and there is largely a lack of drama. The faculty are easily accessible and willing to help, and I'm not just saying that, though there's no real way to prove it unless you come to school here.
You might be wondering about USMLE preparation. According to those wiser than me, the Step 1 average for the class of 2011 was a 225. National average is somewhere around 217. Also, for Step 2, I'm not sure the average but I know that A&M students do very well because of the excellent clinical training we receive at Scott and White.
This brings up another point: Scott and White. I can't tell you how many doctors from outside facilities, doctors that now work for S&W who worked elsewhere, etc have a lot of good things to say about the hospital. Students are generally not scutted out to do nonsense as our ancillary staff is pretty good, there aren't a lot of problems with nurse vs medical student, and the teaching that takes place is excellent. Several physicians I've worked with have commented that the level of malignancy is "unusually low" for an academic program, especially with regard to our surgery department. I was talking with an emergency medicine resident who basically said the same things and he told me that students were treated just like that, students, and they weren't humiliated or given a lot of scut. He also said if he had been a Texas resident, A&M would have been his first choice just based on how students are treated in the 3rd year. I have many more examples of just this type of conversation.
As well, residency placement. We have students match in competitive specialties every year (there is an earlier post detailing our match) and matching at renowned places every year. This year we had students match in neurosurgery, plastics, ENT, radiology, ortho, ophtho, and derm. We also had students match at Harvard, Mayo, UCSF, and Hopkins. Don't buy the lie that just because you went to A&M, you won't be able to go anywhere big. That's total crap.

Anyway, that's about all I can tell you. Feel free to ask more questions. Don't PM me because I suck at returning them. :D

Best of luck with your decision!

Looks like I'll be joining you ladies and gentlemen.

Sean, Mulls, and company, thanks for the advice/information/comments up to here. :thumbup::)

Sean, Mulls, and company, thanks for the advice/information/comments up to here. :thumbup::)

:thumbup: well deserved.

Strong work my man. Go have a beer and enjoy it.

Last edited:

DUDE CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
:banana::highfive::banana:

What's your campus designation? Am I to assume your request for Temple housing info means you're spending your 1st two years in Temple?

Also: is it considered acceptable for me to withdraw from my one remaining summer session 1 course to prepare for all of this?

Also: is it considered acceptable for me to withdraw from my one remaining summer session 1 course to prepare for all of this?

As long as it doesn't prevent you from graduating or enrolling in med school, definitely.

Hi all,

I think I totally missed the boat on this tablet ordering... I was told by some that a tablet isn't necessary, but the letter from the IT dept makes it sound like it is. Anyways, I missed the May deadline for ordering the tablet... can I still go out and buy it on my own and get tech support for it during the year?

Thanks!

Hi all,

I think I totally missed the boat on this tablet ordering... I was told by some that a tablet isn't necessary, but the letter from the IT dept makes it sound like it is. Anyways, I missed the May deadline for ordering the tablet... can I still go out and buy it on my own and get tech support for it during the year?

Thanks!

Oh boy. No, you don't have to buy one. Just make sure you have a laptop with a working ethernet card and you'll be fine. Please please please don't buy a new computer unless you just want one.

Thank you seelee for your thoughts and AggieSean for your insight and well-wishes! Aggie, I have plenty of questions for you (and anyone else who is at Tamhsc currently). Firstly, how happy are you at TAMU? How supportive is the student body, in both your academic and your personal life (you answered this, but do have any examples)? How competitive are the students with each other? Do you like the grading system and is it fair? Do you have time to participate in fun, medically-unrelated activities (like intramurals, get-togethers, etc.) or is studying the preferred pastime? Does the school seem to possess a nurturing environment? I'm glad you think the faculty is accessible...that is a HUGE plus :thumbup:. You seem to be in touch with some upper-level students; how accessible and helpful are they? If you've talked to them, how many of them liked their Step 1 score and do they feel that the curriculum adequately prepared them for the test (I mean, did studying for the test outside the school feel more like a review)? How many people applied to each competitive residency (I'm personally interested in otolaryngology...maybe, maybe ortho)? How many secured seats in their top choice programs and in their top ranked matches (schools sometimes don't distinguish these two...or even share information on the former)?

I'm leaning towards A&M right now for cost alone (Creighton tuition = $45,000/year and CoA ~ $68,000/1st year...Omaha might be cheaper than CS), but I don't want to have any regrets. This is how much Creighton impressed me, so much so that I am willing to take on this debt (granted that, based on my interview experience, A&M didn't really have a chance to impress *read my last post*). I know that I need to make the most of my education, wherever I am. This means that the actual education in terms of knowledge that I receive at A&M will be no different than the knowledge imparted on me at (dare I say it) Harvard. To me, what's important is implicit in all those questions I asked above. Will I feel like I'm surrounded by a supportive group (students and teachers)? Is the type of education most effective and conducive to a high board score, thus helping me land a good residency and helping me perform well at that residency (the latter scenario from what Aggie has said seems likely)? Will I go nuts in med school due to the pressures, etc.? Will I be as interested in going into medicine when I start school as when I finish? All this will contribute to a satisfactory overall experience and to me being a capable doctor.

It's not that I'm giving TAMU a hard time or that I doubt A&M's ability to mold me into a good doctor. I gave Creighton just as thorough of a screening and asked the same questions. With Creighton, I received ALL the answers and had a TON of input from the student body and staff, whereas with A&M, aside from AggieSean and a family friend, I have received little information. Basically, I want give to A&M and Creighton a fair shot, and I have little, thus far, with which to compare A&M to Creighton. Again, cost does tip the scale in favor of A&M (I mean, who actually wants that sort of a debt burden?). My parents will only really help with living costs so it does just come down to tuition.

Anyway, you can see how conflicted I am and how objective I'm trying to be (though you might just call me hard-headed, haha). I'm not being impossible; I just need a little more information that is both numerical and concrete as well as based on personal experience. Trust me, I need just that little bit to convince me 100% (right now I'm at...75-85%, depending the time of day, mood, to whom I recently spoke, etc.). Again, I really do appreciate any further thoughts, opinions, insight, but especially answers and information. Of course, I would love it if AggieSean quelled my concerns, but I would also like to know how others answer those tough questions if they can...Mullie? :)

What?!?! Congrats man. I guess we can disregard all the discussion about whether to re-take the MCAT, huh. You going to be in Temple?

Drop that thing like a bad habit...save the cash and enjoy yourself this last month and a half.

Oh boy. No, you don't have to buy one. Just make sure you have a laptop with a working ethernet card and you'll be fine. Please please please don't buy a new computer unless you just want one.

So, let me get this straight. You are saying we DON'T need a tablet???? :)

Thank you seelee for your thoughts and AggieSean for your insight and well-wishes! Aggie, I have plenty of questions for you (and anyone else who is at Tamhsc currently). Firstly, how happy are you at TAMU? How supportive is the student body, in both your academic and your personal life (you answered this, but do have any examples)? How competitive are the students with each other? Do you like the grading system and is it fair? Do you have time to participate in fun, medically-unrelated activities (like intramurals, get-togethers, etc.) or is studying the preferred pastime? Does the school seem to possess a nurturing environment? I'm glad you think the faculty is accessible...that is a HUGE plus :thumbup:. You seem to be in touch with some upper-level students; how accessible and helpful are they? If you've talked to them, how many of them liked their Step 1 score and do they feel that the curriculum adequately prepared them for the test (I mean, did studying for the test outside the school feel more like a review)? How many people applied to each competitive residency (I'm personally interested in otolaryngology...maybe, maybe ortho)? How many secured seats in their top choice programs and in their top ranked matches (schools sometimes don't distinguish these two...or even share information on the former)?

I'm leaning towards A&M right now for cost alone (Creighton tuition = $45,000/year and CoA ~ $68,000/1st year...Omaha might be cheaper than CS), but I don't want to have any regrets. This is how much Creighton impressed me, so much so that I am willing to take on this debt (granted that, based on my interview experience, A&M didn't really have a chance to impress *read my last post*). I know that I need to make the most of my education, wherever I am. This means that the actual education in terms of knowledge that I receive at A&M will be no different than the knowledge imparted on me at (dare I say it) Harvard. To me, what's important is implicit in all those questions I asked above. Will I feel like I'm surrounded by a supportive group (students and teachers)? Is the type of education most effective and conducive to a high board score, thus helping me land a good residency and helping me perform well at that residency (the latter scenario from what Aggie has said seems likely)? Will I go nuts in med school due to the pressures, etc.? Will I be as interested in going into medicine when I start school as when I finish? All this will contribute to a satisfactory overall experience and to me being a capable doctor.

It's not that I'm giving TAMU a hard time or that I doubt A&M's ability to mold me into a good doctor. I gave Creighton just as thorough of a screening and asked the same questions. With Creighton, I received ALL the answers and had a TON of input from the student body and staff, whereas with A&M, aside from AggieSean and a family friend, I have received little information. Basically, I want give to A&M and Creighton a fair shot, and I have little, thus far, with which to compare A&M to Creighton. Again, cost does tip the scale in favor of A&M (I mean, who actually wants that sort of a debt burden?). My parents will only really help with living costs so it does just come down to tuition.

Anyway, you can see how conflicted I am and how objective I'm trying to be (though you might just call me hard-headed, haha). I'm not being impossible; I just need a little more information that is both numerical and concrete as well as based on personal experience. Trust me, I need just that little bit to convince me 100% (right now I'm at...75-85%, depending the time of day, mood, to whom I recently spoke, etc.). Again, I really do appreciate any further thoughts, opinions, insight, but especially answers and information. Of course, I would love it if AggieSean quelled my concerns, but I would also like to know how others answer those tough questions if they can...Mullie? :)

I want to throw my opinion in the ring real quick (even though I haven't started yet), but first wanted to say congrats on being in such a "predicament".

Ok, this has been beaten to death a million times before, but mostly by people who don't have first hand experience. Let me tell you up front that the difference in debt that you will be looking at on graduation day should make your decision for you. My debt from previous academic endeavours is currently at about 150,000 or so. Just for reference, my payment was right around $1,000/month, with the vast majority of that total amount being a 30 year note (at 2 something %). You cannot find a 2% school loan anymore...most are upwards of 6% I think, so triple the interest I was paying. Combine that with over 100,000 more in total loans, and you will see your montly payment will be significant. I hear a lot of people saying it doesn't matter because you will be making a lot of money, etc. Bull...it WILL matter. When you have a family, kids, and other financial obligations, that $1,000 or so extra/month makes a huge difference....not matter how much you are making every year. Not to mention...you could go on a sweet vacation every year for that much.

Ok, I feel like I am rambling a bit, but in re-reading your post, it seems like these two schools are about on equal footing with one another. I'm assuming since you are holding 2 acceptances right now that you probably interviewed at most the Texas schools. You may have had different experiences, but the A&M students I encountered were the most benign of the schools I went to. So for me, the combination of $100,000 difference in debt, great student body, great faculty, not having to live in Nebraska, having a great educational (classroom) experience, and having the ability to rotate through S&W would seal the deal for me....not that I'm biased or anything. :D

Good luck with your decision. It's a tough one, but keep trying to hash it out, and you will figure it out.

I heard you guys need tablets at A&M, is that true?

That's the word on the street...I wish we could find a current student to definitively answer this for us.

What?!?! Congrats man. I guess we can disregard all the discussion about whether to re-take the MCAT, huh. You going to be in Temple?

Drop that thing like a bad habit...save the cash and enjoy yourself this last month and a half.

Thank you! And yep, no more MCAT talk for me, thankfully. It's looking like Temple for four, which -- based on comments from A&M-goers and my own poking around as far as places to live, etc. -- I think I just might like a whole lot. :thumbup:

Thank you! And yep, no more MCAT talk for me, thankfully. It's looking like Temple for four, which -- based on comments from A&M-goers and my own poking around as far as places to live, etc. -- I think I just might like a whole lot. :thumbup:
Temple sucks.

Make sure you get a tablet PC, though.

Why does Temple suck? And my understanding was that a tablet is pushed by their IT folks, but not 100% required to get through.

Ha, don't listen to army. He is a former Temple resident and a bitter old man. It actually is a great place to live. PM me the places you are looking at and I'll try to help you out as much as I can. There are probably only 4 or 5 complexes in Temple I wouldn't mind living in.

I can't believe I'm about to offer this, but those of you who are moving to Temple and need help moving, I'm willing to sling some furniture around to help. Considering I rank moving right up there with painting on the fun scale, I must be getting soft in my old age.

And as for the tablet, I heard from some that we don't need a tablet, but Sean keeps insisting we do. I am so confused!

hey everyone,

i was accepted a while back during the texas match. WL season is starting to wind down so it looks like ill be in temple for school.

ive been doing a little research over the interwebz for housing and ive found a couple of spots. can any temple ppl give the the low down on the bridge apts? chappell hill apts?

also are there any other quiet/affordable places (1/1 for ~$500/mo). it seems like the quieter the place, the higher the rent. :(

Ha, don't listen to army. He is a former Temple resident and a bitter old man. It actually is a great place to live. PM me the places you are looking at and I'll try to help you out as much as I can. There are probably only 4 or 5 complexes in Temple I wouldn't mind living in.

I can't believe I'm about to offer this, but those of you who are moving to Temple and need help moving, I'm willing to sling some furniture around to help. Considering I rank moving right up there with painting on the fun scale, I must be getting soft in my old age.

And as for the tablet, I heard from some that we don't need a tablet, but Sean keeps insisting we do. I am so confused!

What?! I've said all along NOT to buy a tablet!!! :(

Okay. You have a lot of questions and I am more than happy to answer them. I'm at the clinic right now and can't for obvious reasons, but I assure you I will get to your post later on today.

kind of a random question but i'm moving to cs from oos and will be needing a car... any recommendations for reliable used car dealerships in cs or houston?

Why does Temple suck? And my understanding was that a tablet is pushed by their IT folks, but not 100% required to get through.
Dr. T is right, I'm from Temple, so I like to complain about it. Truth be told, it's not an awful place to live - it's just kind of boring. Of course you're within an hour of halfway decent shopping at the outlets in Round Rock, within 45 minutes of Baylor, 30 minutes from Killeen (where you'll find a better restaurant selection, including the best Korean restaurant on the planet) and some good outdoor rec activities, if you like being on water.

What?! I've said all along NOT to buy a tablet!!! :(

:)

I must have mis-read the size 48 red font a few pages ago....ha. I guess I shouldn't joke around like that...people who haven't been reading the whole thread may actually go buy one thinking they HAVE to.

(Edit: NM, the confirmation page answered my question. :) )

Possibly a stupid question, but on the background check under employment history: do they want my supervisor / contact's phone number or my own number at work? We TAs / staffers don't really have office phone numbers, heh.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you seelee for your thoughts and AggieSean for your insight and well-wishes! Aggie, I have plenty of questions for you (and anyone else who is at Tamhsc currently). Firstly, how happy are you at TAMU? I am extremely happy and satisfied with my decision. When I look back at the interview process and compare this to what friends at other schools are experiencing and what I think would suit me best, A&M is clearly the winner.How supportive is the student body, in both your academic and your personal life (you answered this, but do have any examples)? Very. For example, we do stuff together as a class regularly. We're known to throw spontaneous post-test parties with that being the only occasion for a party. As well, the students really get to know each other well because the class size is smaller (especially in Temple) and we all keep an eye on each other. If someone is struggling or hurting or having a hard time, it's apparent and we'll take action as needed. Also, our inboxes are constantly flooded with websites, reviews, and notes that the students have made and are willing to share with the rest of the class. How competitive are the students with each other? Not very. We have some very smart students (duh) who always do well, but I have yet to see an instant of gunnerism/backstabbing. Do you like the grading system and is it fair? Yes. It is A-B-C-F (with traditional cutoffs, 90=A, 80=B, etc.) and there are NO CURVES at all of any kind, except for NBME shelf exams which serve as our finals and those are only curved up if we perform below national average, which hasn't happened Do you have time to participate in fun, medically-unrelated activities (like intramurals, get-togethers, etc.) or is studying the preferred pastime? I already touched on this, but absolutely. We throw birthday parties for each other, go out to eat, go to bars, get together in small groups and have game nights, etc.Does the school seem to possess a nurturing environment? Definitely, though this is mostly student driven.I'm glad you think the faculty is accessible...that is a HUGE plus :thumbup:. You seem to be in touch with some upper-level students; how accessible and helpful are they? This is mostly applicable to Temple students, because all the 3rd and 4th years are here, this will soon apply to College Station students as more and more students complete all 4 years there. To answer your question however, they are accessible and very helpful. They're friendly and always ask about how classes are going and will usually reminisce with you about such and such test or class. It's really been a great part of going through school here. And of course they give great advice for tests and upcoming stuff If you've talked to them, how many of them liked their Step 1 score and do they feel that the curriculum adequately prepared them for the test (I mean, did studying for the test outside the school feel more like a review)? My impression has been that, for the most part, students have felt adequately prepared. The average of last year's class was a 225, which is about 8-10 points above national average. We're given 6 weeks to study for Step 1, and most of the students with whom I've spoken have felt that it was mostly review. How many people applied to each competitive residency (I'm personally interested in otolaryngology...maybe, maybe ortho)? How many secured seats in their top choice programs and in their top ranked matches (schools sometimes don't distinguish these two...or even share information on the former)? I know that 86% of students matched at their one of their top two choices my first year. As well, we had 2 dermatology, 1 plastic surgery, 1 otolaryngology, 3 orthopedic surgery, 2 ophthalmology, 2 radiology, and 1 neurosurgery match this year (76 students participated in the match this year). As well, we had students match at Harvard, Johns Hopkins, Mayo Clinic (2), UCSF, UCLA, Vanderbilt, Baylor, Case Western, and UT Southwestern.

I'm leaning towards A&M right now for cost alone (Creighton tuition = $45,000/year and CoA ~ $68,000/1st year...Omaha might be cheaper than CS), but I don't want to have any regrets. This is how much Creighton impressed me, so much so that I am willing to take on this debt (granted that, based on my interview experience, A&M didn't really have a chance to impress *read my last post*). I know that I need to make the most of my education, wherever I am. This means that the actual education in terms of knowledge that I receive at A&M will be no different than the knowledge imparted on me at (dare I say it) Harvard. To me, what's important is implicit in all those questions I asked above. Will I feel like I'm surrounded by a supportive group (students and teachers)? Yes. Tutoring is offered for every class and believe me when I tell you that faculty want to see you get through. It won't feel that way at 2 in the morning when you're cramming down the pentose-phosphate pathway, but it is. I can't speak from personal experience regarding the 3rd year, but as I mentioned previously the environment at S&W is supposedly very benign and student-friendly Is the type of education most effective and conducive to a high board score, thus helping me land a good residency and helping me perform well at that residency (the latter scenario from what Aggie has said seems likely)? I don't know because this is the only type of curriculum I will have gone through. I will say that I think the organ systems organization of our curriculum and the lack of "hell weeks" of NOTHING but tests is EXTREMELY beneficial to the student and goes a long way toward alleviating unnecessary stress.Will I go nuts in med school due to the pressures, etc.? Hopefully not. :p You're obviously a smart person to be able to garnish multiple acceptances. Let's cross that bridge when we get there. Will I be as interested in going into medicine when I start school as when I finish? Let me consult Miss Cleo ;) No seriously I think so. I don't think the attrition due to burn-out rate is very high here. Most of the time when students leave med school it's because of academic or disciplinary reasons, not because they hate medicine. All this will contribute to a satisfactory overall experience and to me being a capable doctor.

I answered your questions in bold.

hey everyone,

i was accepted a while back during the texas match. WL season is starting to wind down so it looks like ill be in temple for school.

ive been doing a little research over the interwebz for housing and ive found a couple of spots. can any temple ppl give the the low down on the bridge apts? chappell hill apts?

also are there any other quiet/affordable places (1/1 for ~$500/mo). it seems like the quieter the place, the higher the rent. :(

I signed up for a 1/1 at Chappell Hill over Spring Break back in March and was put on a waiting list. I just found out 2 weeks ago that they found me a place, so if you're seriously thinking about Chappell Hill, you should contact them and get on that list.

That being said, it's a great apartment complex. Gated entrance. Pool seems nice. Overall feel of the joint is good. Rooms are spacious and relatively new and well kept.

The Bridge is very close to Scott and White and a rec center so that's a plus. The units seemed equally as nice as Chappell Hill, but if I remember the rent was a tad higher. After looking at around 6 places, The Bridge and Chappell Hill were my top two choices.

I found some places that were under $600 and in the $500 range, but I didn't find them to have very good units/location, and an extra $100 a month was worth it in my opinion to get a place I really liked. I mean... it's just loans anyway right?

I answered your questions in bold.

Sean, as always, did a great job of answering the questions. The only thing I would add...as far as the grading, not only are there no curves, there is no rounding. An 89.99 is a B, a 69.99 is an F. :(

Also, people handle the pressures of medical school differently, and it is important to know UP FRONT that it is ok, even good, to ask for help with any sort of issue. We have had some students who were suffering alone due to shame? insecurity? whatever. Anyway, I will say up front that I did not handle the transition too well, and I am a charter member in the Lexapro fan club!:)