TCOM Class Of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MoxieDO said:
The netters is $65, but if you sign up with SOMA, you also get a t-shirt along with some other prizes! I decided against apts on Hulen because they are occupied by a lot of TCU students and I assume that they will probably be noisy because they are college students :smuggrin: Hulen also has some considerable traffic, and although I have never lived in FTW, i can imagine how it will be trying to get home or to school during rush hour...i also just dont like traffic (sorry, i've spent my life in corpus christi and waco=no traffic) The apt I am looking at is considerably cheaper and has more ft^2 for the price. I want space!! I will also assume that it is less "busy" because it is in the middle of a residential area, but at the same time near enough to the school, Hulen malls, and downtown :cool:
Hulen south of I-30 is not a great area. Try to stay very close to the school. I live near where Hulen meets Camp Bowie, and it's a nice area. I'm trying to get the 2009ers to post a list of pros and cons of the areas in which they live.
SOMA also offers discount health insurance to its members, along with the nifty Netter anatomy book which you will need. We are also trying to plan some community service hours for members. These are important because you have to do so many hours of community service per semester, and they are always hard to find and schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy everyone. I just got back from a trip to Fort Worth and have some things to share...

I talked with Dr. Martin for about an hour and he had some things to say regarding various topics:

1.) Biochem question - Dr. Martin said that the cell science course (biochem) has changed a great deal from last year. Much has changed including new/different lecturers as well as a new book for the course. The 2009ers used "Mark's Basic Medical Biochem." We, 2010ers will be uisng the "Principles of Medical Biochemistry" by Meisenberg and Simmons. If you have had biochem you'll probably be fine. If you haven't, you aren't toast but it would be wise to look over the first few chapters of the new biochem book.

2.) Reading assignment - It is that chapter 1 from Robbins and Cotran. Thanks again to jbp for the link :) Dr. Martin said to go ahead and get the book, because it's one that we will be using mostly in the second half of the 1st year, but we will continue using it in 2nd year as well. By the time you are done with school, you will have read every page in that book.

3.) Computer - We do have to use the laptop the are giving us (which it's a pretty cool laptop in my opinion--they made the necessary upgrades like CPU and memory). This is because the are moving towards testing on computers. Thus they will be able to shut down our internet access during exams. However, the computer is yours once you get it. He said feel free to put whatever you want on it (Winamp, music, games, pictures, etc...). There are NOT going to be any "weekly computer checks" asking why you have Ms. Pac Man on your tablet PC (shout out to the Atari fans).

4.) Where to buy books - There is no "on-campus" bookstore. The best place to buy them is online. Amazon, e-campus.com, and Walmart (yes, apparently they do books now) are good places. Also, if you are in the Dallas side of the world, Dr. Martin said there is a medical bookstore called Majors. I will have to google that to find out more.

5.) Course Schedule - Dr. Martin showed me a preliminary copy of the schedule. It's similar to the one online already but not exactly the same. He said they were not posting it because it's not finalized and they don't want people printing it out each time they post an updated version. Something he did mention is that the are moving to less "scheduled lecture" time. ie - There will be blocks in the day that have topics to be covered but there will be no lecture on them--you are free to teach yourself (at home, library, or as Dr. Martin said "on the golf course"). You will be expected to get the material, but you have to get it on your own based on how you learn best. Personal note: I know I learn better in a discussion group (ie lecture) so if anyone else wants to setup a time to meet during these "do it yourself" time blocks, I'm totally open to that. Me + book + alone for hour = bad.

I know some of these questions haven't been asked but I thought I would go ahead and post what I gathered from meeting with Dr. Martin. I'm still excited about school, just a little nervous now. Hooray.

Dr. Martin also gave me a list of books he recommend we buy first. He claims it will be up on our webpage soon but here it is:
a.) Robbins and Cotran: Pathologic Basis of Disease
b.) Principles of Medical Biochemistry
c.) The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America
d.) Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking
e.) Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine

One last thing...anyone else looking at the Alta Ridglea Village apartment complex? They are off Camp Bowie at Winthrop near a Tom Thumb.

Good times.

--Josh

Josh,
Thanks so much for the info!! I feel a lot better now... especially knowing that I won't be toast with biochem!!!!!!!!! Biochem + me = :barf:

Members don't see this ad :)
megatron03 said:
Howdy everyone. I just got back from a trip to Fort Worth and have some things to share...

I talked with Dr. Martin for about an hour and he had some things to say regarding various topics:

1.) Biochem question - Dr. Martin said that the cell science course (biochem) has changed a great deal from last year. Much has changed including new/different lecturers as well as a new book for the course. The 2009ers used "Mark's Basic Medical Biochem." We, 2010ers will be uisng the "Principles of Medical Biochemistry" by Meisenberg and Simmons. If you have had biochem you'll probably be fine. If you haven't, you aren't toast but it would be wise to look over the first few chapters of the new biochem book.

2.) Reading assignment - It is that chapter 1 from Robbins and Cotran. Thanks again to jbp for the link :) Dr. Martin said to go ahead and get the book, because it's one that we will be using mostly in the second half of the 1st year, but we will continue using it in 2nd year as well. By the time you are done with school, you will have read every page in that book.

3.) Computer - We do have to use the laptop the are giving us (which it's a pretty cool laptop in my opinion--they made the necessary upgrades like CPU and memory). This is because the are moving towards testing on computers. Thus they will be able to shut down our internet access during exams. However, the computer is yours once you get it. He said feel free to put whatever you want on it (Winamp, music, games, pictures, etc...). There are NOT going to be any "weekly computer checks" asking why you have Ms. Pac Man on your tablet PC (shout out to the Atari fans).

4.) Where to buy books - There is no "on-campus" bookstore. The best place to buy them is online. Amazon, e-campus.com, and Walmart (yes, apparently they do books now) are good places. Also, if you are in the Dallas side of the world, Dr. Martin said there is a medical bookstore called Majors. I will have to google that to find out more.

5.) Course Schedule - Dr. Martin showed me a preliminary copy of the schedule. It's similar to the one online already but not exactly the same. He said they were not posting it because it's not finalized and they don't want people printing it out each time they post an updated version. Something he did mention is that the are moving to less "scheduled lecture" time. ie - There will be blocks in the day that have topics to be covered but there will be no lecture on them--you are free to teach yourself (at home, library, or as Dr. Martin said "on the golf course"). You will be expected to get the material, but you have to get it on your own based on how you learn best. Personal note: I know I learn better in a discussion group (ie lecture) so if anyone else wants to setup a time to meet during these "do it yourself" time blocks, I'm totally open to that. Me + book + alone for hour = bad.

I know some of these questions haven't been asked but I thought I would go ahead and post what I gathered from meeting with Dr. Martin. I'm still excited about school, just a little nervous now. Hooray.

Dr. Martin also gave me a list of books he recommend we buy first. He claims it will be up on our webpage soon but here it is:
a.) Robbins and Cotran: Pathologic Basis of Disease
b.) Principles of Medical Biochemistry
c.) The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America
d.) Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking
e.) Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine

One last thing...anyone else looking at the Alta Ridglea Village apartment complex? They are off Camp Bowie at Winthrop near a Tom Thumb.

Good times.

--Josh

Crazy you should mention that - I just signed a lease today at the Alta Ridglea Village apartments. You should talk to Bernadette - she was really friendly and helpful.

ALSO - is the reading assignment ONLY the first chapter of Robbins? Because I thought that we had to read all of "The D.O.s: Osteopathic Medicine in America" as background to the profession before we started. I received this attachment (I don't know if/where it will end up posting) from the school.

Anyway - I'm excited about the apartments. And thanks for the great updates.

Best wishes, pals!

~Ryan

Attachments

• Initial Reading Assignments.doc
    27.5 KB · Views: 145
I looked at alta and actually have a good friend who lives there and likes it a lot, and I think they are extremely nice. However, I decided to go with The Canyons because I thought it had better amenities and work out facilities. For those interested, it is located on river park dr ... which is the road right after the intersection of vickery and bryant irvin. SO its right up vickery to montgomery to get to school ... it took me about 10 mins.... SO if anyone is interested that is where I will be. Oh, and talk to patty she rocks. Talk to Y'all later .
~Ryan

Ryan - 1208 said:
<snip>

ALSO - is the reading assignment ONLY the first chapter of Robbins? Because I thought that we had to read all of "The D.O.s: Osteopathic Medicine in America" as background to the profession before we started. I received this attachment (I don't know if/where it will end up posting) from the school.

Anyway - I'm excited about the apartments. And thanks for the great updates.

Best wishes, pals!

~Ryan

How did you get the reading assignment? I don't see it on the Class of 2010 web page and did not get it in email.

Thanks.

bat5751 said:
How did you get the reading assignment? I don't see it on the Class of 2010 web page and did not get it in email.

Thanks.

I e-mailed Kayla in the office before the online chat, because I wanted to see if I could get a transcript sent to me since I couldn't be there. I also asked about the reading assignment, because I was confused and had heard several different stories. So a few days later, I received an e-mail from Kayla with two attachments: the chat transcript and the initial reading assignment. I believe that the assignment will eventually be posted on the website, but I know that I tend to worry and become incredibly anal and obsessive if I don't know what's going on, so I figured I'd post it here, too - for all of the like-minded classmates out there. :)

I hope that helps!

Any info on financial aid? We're still waiting on them to contact us, right?

~R

Wow. You guys are so awesome. I'm loving the cooperation! I can't wait to start study groups (boy, I never thought I'd be excited about studying, but, hey...:laugh: ).

Ryan, I haven't heard anything about financial aid yet, either. I wish they'd give us some sense of how it's going to look so we can make plans and budgets.

Anybody in town yet want to go hang out tonight as a group i.e. movie, downtown, etc...

UserNameNeeded said:
Wow. You guys are so awesome. I'm loving the cooperation! I can't wait to start study groups (boy, I never thought I'd be excited about studying, but, hey...:laugh: ).

Ryan, I haven't heard anything about financial aid yet, either. I wish they'd give us some sense of how it's going to look so we can make plans and budgets.

Wow! I wish I found this website earlier than now - thank God for google! Anyway, attached is a more current budget sheet for the 2006-2007 academic year. I got this from the financial aid office. I was told that out first check will be disbursed on the 21st of July and the 2nd will be disbursed sometime in November. I hope this helps.

kweku_UNT said:
Wow! I wish I found this website earlier than now - thank God for google! Anyway, attached is a more current budget sheet for the 2006-2007 academic year. I got this from the financial aid office. I was told that out first check will be disbursed on the 21st of July and the 2nd will be disbursed sometime in November. I hope this helps.

OOPS! - here is the attachment

Attachments

• MS_I_2006_07_Budget[1].doc
    52 KB · Views: 124
Members don't see this ad :)
Check out your upperclassmen's websites, class of 2009 Message Board & DOSAF (http://dosaf.hsc.unt.edu/). They've answered a lot of your questions about study tips, housing, and so forth.

(For the 2009 Message Board, click the upper right hand corner, then filter search the last "365 days"),

Hey everyone -

I know that approximately 90% of the incomding MSI class is from Texas. I am wondering about the GPA/MCAT stats that the other 10%. Who has gotten in as an OOS applicant? Based on this, I may or may not apply as an OOS. Please let me know. Thanks!

UserNameNeeded said:
It says we need a username/email and password to access the site.

I clicked on the 'forgot password' link and I entered my email. It then sent a temp password to the address.

Dax

Cool. Thanks, Dax! Is your username based on the Star Trek character?

UserNameNeeded said:
Cool. Thanks, Dax! Is your username based on the Star Trek character?

Heh, actually, it's my middle name and what I go by. But, I get asked that a lot. :D

How is everyone's reading going? I've read through the Robbins chapter once, but I still need to outline it.

Dax

Dax said:
Heh, actually, it's my middle name and what I go by. But, I get asked that a lot. :D

How is everyone's reading going? I've read through the Robbins chapter once, but I still need to outline it.

Dax

All of us SDNer should set a time to discuss the chapter on-line with each other once everyone is done reading (WHICH BY THE WAY I AM NOOOOOOOO where near done). What day should we give ourselves to finish? What do you say?

ac101ac said:
All of us SDNer should set a time to discuss the chapter on-line with each other once everyone is done reading (WHICH BY THE WAY I AM NOOOOOOOO where near done). What day should we give ourselves to finish? What do you say?

Great idea - count me in! I've looked over the chapter, too. But I still have a lot of work to do, so I'm not going to suggest a date. :)

Ryan - 1208 said:
Great idea - count me in! I've looked over the chapter, too. But I still have a lot of work to do, so I'm not going to suggest a date. :)
Great Idea....count me in as well...However, I still have much to do in reading that chapter. I have read through the first few chapters of Biochem and read the entire DO's: Osteopathic Medicine In America. Has anyone else read that book yet? What are your thoughts? Keep us posted.

dr_frog_2010 said:
Great Idea....count me in as well...However, I still have much to do in reading that chapter. I have read through the first few chapters of Biochem and read the entire DO's: Osteopathic Medicine In America. Has anyone else read that book yet? What are your thoughts? Keep us posted.

Just started the D.O. history book yesterday, and I'm four chapters into it. So far, I've really enjoyed the way the author quotes Dr. Still to show his unique and spunky personality. It's cool to see how much medicine as a whole (not just osteopathy) has come in such a short amount of time.

It's also a really easy and quick read, more like a novel than a text - which means more time for the Robbins assignment.

Ryan - 1208 said:
Just started the D.O. history book yesterday, and I'm four chapters into it. So far, I've really enjoyed the way the author quotes Dr. Still to show his unique and spunky personality. It's cool to see how much medicine as a whole (not just osteopathy) has come in such a short amount of time.

It's also a really easy and quick read, more like a novel than a text - which means more time for the Robbins assignment.
You bet, Ryan. It is a good read and a quick read (thank God). It does get heavy with numbers and statistics later on but does paint a pretty realistic impression of our chosen profession. The future lies in our hands (no pun intended) literally! Good luck with Robbins...its definitely a read over and over...

Just wanted to say Hi. I hope everyone is having a great 3 day weekend. :cool:

So I was shopping for some of the books we'll need and I ran into a huge price discrepancy. How much did you guys pay for the • The D.O.s: Osteopathic Medicine in American, Norman Gevitz, The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2nd Edition, 2004. (ISBN# 0-8018-7834-9: ~$24.95)
On abebooks you can get it for like $15.00 and on Amazon they sell for about $68. someone help!

As a post-bacc this past year, I would say that reading the biochem could be a waste of time. If the teachers are anything like they were in the post-bacc. program this year, and sense there the same teachers I think they are, the teachers tend to be very power-point based. Basically, if you know the powerpoints inside and out you will get A's on all the test. If you try to read the book and study, there is not enough time time to memorize. Reading will help in physiology, but for classes like biochemistry I would not waste your time. If you want to study anything you should:

1) Buy the Dissector CD
- Anatomy CD made by the Anatomy professors
2) Read and know physiology
3) Reading for Cell Bio
- However this could be overwhelming too because there is so much stuff out there that you do not need to know.

I hope this helps a little.

ac101ac said:
So I was shopping for some of the books we'll need and I ran into a huge price discrepancy. How much did you guys pay for the • The D.O.s: Osteopathic Medicine in American, Norman Gevitz, The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2nd Edition, 2004. (ISBN# 0-8018-7834-9: ~$24.95)
On abebooks you can get it for like $15.00 and on Amazon they sell for about $68. someone help!
Hey ac101ac, I got it for about 16.00 bucks. I am already finished reading it, you are welcome to borrow mine to read before class. Just send me a message and let me know. I can also tell you where I got my other books fairly cheap. Anyway don't buy the D.O.'s book, you can just read it for its content.

let me say i am very impressed how active you guys are already. gunners...

don't worry, its not a bad thing. ;P just don't expect it to last you through boards...

hehehe

just kidding, CONGRATS ON GETTING INTO TCOM!

I know this is a little off topic, but do you think that we should get shots for meningitis? The nurse recommended it but I said no since I am not going to be living in a dorm, but then again we will probably have quite a bit of patient contact. Should I get the shot?

Howdy everyone,

ac101ac, I have inclosed a link to the amazon page where I purchased my copy of the DO book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...f=pd_bbs_1/102-7805210-6158569?_encoding=UTF8

It cost me about $25.00. Also, when I signed up with a new account I got a free offer to join Amazon Prime which gives me FREE second day shipping and next day shipping for $3.99 per item. The second day shipping got me the book on friday after ordering it on wednesday...not too shabby. Plus, I figure it'll come in handy if I decide I need a book during the school year.

If you live in the Dallas area, there is a medical bookstore called Majors (www.majorsbooks.com/store/home.jsp) that is right off Harry Hines at Butler St. (near UT Southwestern). They have good prices, will ship if you don't live near by, or you can pick them up in-store (taxes apply then). Just another option. I purchased my Bate's Guide, Robbins and Cotran and the biochem book (along with the happy study guide extras) before I discovered the Amazon Prime offer. The worker there was super helpful and knew right were everything was. Note: they do NOT have the "DO's" book, just textbooks.

However, you might take up dr. frog's offer for the DO book as I tend to agree you won't need your own copy forever and ever (although it has been an interesting book so far).

When are folks starting to move to Fort Worth? I have put a deposit on an apt at The Canyons (on River Park) and should move in mid-June. I'm up for an online/real life discussion of the DO book or any of the other assignments.

Hope everyone had a good Memorial Day weekend.

Good times,

Josh

PS - JayZee, I've already started studying for my boards, read about 10 chapters in Robbins and Cotran, reviewed most of the biochem book and have about 200 practice COMLEX and practice USMLE exam questions memorized. :D j/k.....or am I?.......yes, yes I am.

megatron03 said:
PS - JayZee, I've already started studying for my boards, read about 10 chapters in Robbins and Cotran, reviewed most of the biochem book and have about 200 practice COMLEX and practice USMLE exam questions memorized. :D j/k.....or am I?.......yes, yes I am.

I was about to seriously despise you (yes, before I'd even met you) until I read that 'j/k' part. :)

Thanks for the info on Majors - I think I'll stop by and pick up the Robbins so I can get rid of this PDF file. I guess it's really time to get down to business with that.

Oh, and I'll extend the same offer with my DOs book that dr_frog put on the table - if anyone would like to borrow my copy, feel free.

I move into Alta Ridglea on July 7th.

Later, pals!

Ryan - 1208 said:
I was about to seriously despise you (yes, before I'd even met you) until I read that 'j/k' part. :)
Thanks for the info on Majors - I think I'll stop by and pick up the Robbins so I can get rid of this PDF file. I guess it's really time to get down to business with that.

Oh, and I'll extend the same offer with my DOs book that dr_frog put on the table - if anyone would like to borrow my copy, feel free.

I move into Alta Ridglea on July 7th.

Later, pals!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I moved in last week. So far so good--It has taken me forever to unpack though! I am leaving tomorrow to go home for a month, but I will be back July 1 or something.

megatron03 said:
If you live in the Dallas area, there is a medical bookstore called Majors (www.majorsbooks.com/store/home.jsp) that is right off Harry Hines at Butler St. (near UT Southwestern). They have good prices, will ship if you don't live near by, or you can pick them up in-store (taxes apply then).

So if we have them ship to us, we don't get charged tax? That'd be awesome! Well, unless shipping costs are exorbitant.

UserNameNeeded said:
So if we have them ship to us, we don't get charged tax? That'd be awesome! Well, unless shipping costs are exorbitant.

I'm not 100% sure on that, but my best guess is that you do not have tax applied if the items are shipped. (This is based on the fact that amazon.com and other online stores do not charge sales tax). However, if you live in Texas the sales tax might be applied simply because both you and the store are in state.

Good times,

Josh

Has anyone had their meeting with the financial aid people to discuss everything. I got an email saying to schedule a time to "review [my] financial aid award letter." Anyone know if this is the "what you get" session or the "we need more info to determine what you get" session? I hope it's the former :)

Good times,

Josh

spursss said:
As a post-bacc this past year, I would say that reading the biochem could be a waste of time. If the teachers are anything like they were in the post-bacc. program this year, and sense there the same teachers I think they are, the teachers tend to be very power-point based. Basically, if you know the powerpoints inside and out you will get A's on all the test. If you try to read the book and study, there is not enough time time to memorize. Reading will help in physiology, but for classes like biochemistry I would not waste your time. If you want to study anything you should:

1) Buy the Dissector CD
- Anatomy CD made by the Anatomy professors
2) Read and know physiology
3) Reading for Cell Bio
- However this could be overwhelming too because there is so much stuff out there that you do not need to know.

I hope this helps a little.

I would add that reading the book has so much extra information that won't be tested, I recom. looking at the book in relation to the notes.

Have any schedules been posted? There are some shows I want to go to, but I do not want to buy tickets unless I am sure I can go to them without interrupting something. Anyone want to see Carlos Mencia in Dallas Oct. 21??? :D

Dave Matthews at Smirnoff on Aug 19, 2006!

dr_frog_2010 said:
Dave Matthews at Smirnoff on Aug 19, 2006!

Now that's what I'm talking about :). If the price isnt outrageous, im up for it. :D

ILoveIceCream said:
Now that's what I'm talking about :). If the price isnt outrageous, im up for it. :D
$49.50 at Foley's Ticketmaster (40.00 + some stupid service fee) for lawn seats. My fiance and I are going with a few friends from work ( Nurse and Scrub tech from Cook's Ped Hosp and their husbands), we'll take blankets/lawn chairs etc. and kick back for a night of FUN! It will be fun, besides might need it after 7 weeks of Biochem!
:)

Sep 16, 2006 Dallas TX US American Airlines Arena Mariah Carey

:D

MAVS in the Finals!!!! What are the odds? I get into med school and the mavs make the NBA finals in the same year. My wife couldn't be happier. :)

johnjuan said:
MAVS in the Finals!!!! What are the odds? I get into med school and the mavs make the NBA finals in the same year. My wife couldn't be happier. :)

I'm a die hard spurs fan, but I'm happy to see that Texas gets represented again :). Good luck Mavs.

Hey guys.... we're looking for a roommate. Anybody still need housing?

1 Room for Rent in Benicia
3 bed, 2.5 bath
$450 (not including utilities) (cable,internet,electricity usually around $60/month)
washer/drier, dishwasher, microwave
Landlords are awesome, no problems!
Safe neighborhood, close to campus.
No pets allowed.

You would be living with 2 OMSII students
Please email or call
Lindsey- [email protected] 805.205.0990
or Rob- [email protected] 707.330.1374
It's a great deal!!!!

Hey Guys,
This may have already been discussed on the board, but I was wondering what you all were planning on doing for Health insurance? Has anyone come across any great deals, and what do you all know about the SOMA group on campus. I heard something about cheaper insurance through them. Thanks for responding!

~Ryan

johnjuan said:

I feel the same way.
Go Mavs!!

Acidfire said:
Hey Guys,
This may have already been discussed on the board, but I was wondering what you all were planning on doing for Health insurance? Has anyone come across any great deals, and what do you all know about the SOMA group on campus. I heard something about cheaper insurance through them. Thanks for responding!
I too have heard that SOMA has cheaper insurance. You can review the plans they have at http://www.somainsurance.com/

I've been looking at either Plan 1 or Plan 3. Plan 1 seems to be geered more towards covering the every day routine (simple doctor's visits, sinus infections etc...) while Plan 3 seems to be the disaster insurance. I based this on the deductibles and max hospital stay coverage. Also, I'm not sure that Plan 3 has RX coverage included (which hopefully won't be a big deal if we can get samples like the school was saying).

I still haven't decided what I'm doing. There is still the option of getting a TXBC plan or something--they aren't too bad for a single individual. If I purhcase one in the next day or so I'll let you know.

PS - Anyone want to get together to discuss the DO book? I'm in Plano but would be able to drive wherever.

PPS - Robbins and Cotran is scaring me. :(

Good times,
Josh

Don't be scared... we'll get through it together.... hmmm not sure when I'll be in Fort Worth.... maybe at the end of the month then we can plan a small group somewhere like at a coffee shop to discuss. Sounds good? Who else would like to join? I'm thinking we could do it on a Sat or Sun. We can also start posting questions here on whatever people are having difficulty with.

I called and left a message at the financial aid office but I haven't gotten a response. Has anyone had their financial aid meeting? If you have, give us the low down! How's the financial aid package looking?